Poll: Activity.

88olds
88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
What’s an activity you’ve recently tried or added in your weigh loss journey. Is it something you were unable to do? Unwilling to do? How’s it working?

Replies

• jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Dog walking, my doggies love my weightloss journey. Before they might have gotten 2 walks a week, we do have a fenced in yard for them to run in. Now they usually get 2 walks a day.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited January 2020
    88olds wrote: »
    What’s an activity you’ve recently tried or added in your weigh loss journey. Is it something you were unable to do? Unwilling to do? How’s it working?

I have tried several things in the last couple of years, some stuck some didn't.

Pole Dancing Therapy - combination of Yoga, Meditation & Dancing - it was very hard even for a super-beginners class, excellent for strength and flexibility but I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped, I think I might try it again when I get to my ultimate goal weight but that will be a couple of years away.

C25K I have started the program a couple of times and made it to about 25 mins of running time (having not run at all since I was 16 until 2018). I found it great for clearing out the mind cobwebs and I think that was when I dropped the most weight as it deterred me from eating more in the evening and staved off my appetite. I've not given it a go recently as I am back up at my highest weight and get acid reflux with running, but plan to incorporate it again when I am a little slimmer.

Rowing - I started rowing traditional Irish boats in 2018 and love it, despite hating rowing machine and a fear of natural waterways (I don't like not being able to see what's beneath me and despite being a strong/capable swimmer the thought of going overboard freaked me out - still don't like it but I am no longer terrified) I have entered several long river races including The Great River Race in London.

Dog Borrowing I signed up to an app to borrow other people's dogs as I can't keep one myself. I still do this occasionally but not as often.

Charity Walks I've signed up to a few charity walking events.

I've consistently kept Yoga & Strength Training going and also enjoy Hiking.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Yoga and Stretch exercises on the floor. I have now lost 80 lbs, and still have quite a ways to go. And to be honest it has only been in the last month, that I can easily get up and down from the floor.
    Before I was terrified if I went down, I would not be able to get back up by myself.
    Was doing Yoga from Chair and some standing poses, but I really feel I have made progress being able to use the Yoga mat and be on the floor.

I think I am going to borrow tinkerbellang83 idea of a charity walk this year, I like that.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    I have started play squash which I'm enjoying but my knee doesn't! So I don't play as often as I'd like. But I've entered my first tournament in about a month's time so that's going to be interesting.
    I walk most days and really enjoy it now. Didn't at the beginning.
    And I'm joining a gym to weight train and do yoga. I do yoga in my lounge to videos, so publicly doing it will be massive for me. I'm hoping to swim as well, but I get terrible eczema from chlorine so I'll give it a go but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Walking has been my go-to and my saviour. Getting outside regardless of the weather helps my mental state and stress levels too.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    88olds wrote: »

Golf. I deliberately chose to learn to play golf so that I would be outside, get in some walking, and be with one or more friends for a couple of hours. This season will be my second for league play and I am very much looking forward to it.

It may sound odd, but I have a hankering to try pickleball. My parks and rec program offers classes so that is something I am looking forward to trying this year.

I like all kinds of sports and am pretty stoked about trying new ones.
  • 88olds
    @hansep0012 Nothing odd about Pickleball in my book. I took it up about 3 1/2 years ago. Great fun. Great exercise. Before we moved I was playing 2-3 times per week. Have cut back to 1 time in the new venue.

Since moving I’ve taken up Tai Chi. Just today I was noticing that various aches and pains seem to be lessening. Can’t say for sure there’s a connection. But maybe.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Walking, I've added so much walking and my dogs love it. I also have a recumbent exercise bike and some days I love it and some days I'd rather take a walk. Last I added dumbells and a kettlebell, but had to give those up during a recent ms flare because I kept dropping things and I didn't want to risk dropping them on myself. Early on I did seated cardio, but that's gone by the wayside because the walking was more important to me and I only had energry for one or the other for a time. I think that I could do the cardio standing now, I should give it a go.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Walking, I've added so much walking and my dogs love it. I also have a recumbent exercise bike and some days I love it and some days I'd rather take a walk. Last I added dumbells and a kettlebell, but had to give those up during a recent ms flare because I kept dropping things and I didn't want to risk dropping them on myself. Early on I did seated cardio, but that's gone by the wayside because the walking was more important to me and I only had energry for one or the other for a time. I think that I could do the cardio standing now, I should give it a go.

You have come such a long way!...I can’t wait to lose as much as you have....
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I realized today that I've been adding at least a 30 minute walk or elliptical session to my daily routine for about 4 weeks now, and I've been consistently getting at least 5,000 steps in for that long, too - trying to get that many in even on Jiu-Jitsu nights.

And as you already know, I took up Jiu-Jitsu about 3 weeks or so ago, as well, 2 days a week. I'm still completely lost, but the last few sessions have definitely been a workout - and I finally can remember what they mean when they say closed guard and half-guard!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Where we lived two years ago, I went to water aerobics three times a week...I loved it...when I am in the water, I can compete with almost anyone!...where we live now, there is a pool but I miss the friends I had before...also, we no longer have a pool at our house...my grand daughter and I will use our community pool soon...usually only a handful of people using it....glad you are enjoying your class!
  • 88olds
    Everything is now out window. But I’ve taken up walking in the park. On my way to being a 10000 stepper. Weight loss is taking me to yet another place I never thought I would go.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    My gym is closed now so I'm off strength training for now. Been pushing myself to keep up my walking/running though. In the past 16 days I've only missed the 10,000 step mark once. I was exhausted/sore from raking for 4-5 hours the day before.
  • bmeadows380
    congrats on that, Merph!

My jiu-jitsu studio just announced closure for now, but will be putting some videos up on things we can do from home and are offering a free private session when they open back up for anyone who wants one.

So I'll be attempting to get some of those videos in and try to up my walking game to keep the activity levels up.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I will be spending more time learning how to use the resistance bands I purchased to assist with physio. I can use them for the PT exercises but I need them to help me keep working the other muscle groups.

I made the choice to start trying to collect used gym equipment before the virus but I have not gotten any yet. I am not sure how many garage sales will be happening at the moment.

I just got the part I need to fix my treadmill which the dog uses for exercise more than we do but that will change. I need it working for him during that bad weather too though. I am very glad I invested in an elliptical. I knew that I wanted to do cardio daily but did not want to rely so heavily on a gym. It isn't a crazy distance away but even 6 miles seems like a lot at 5am in the morning. I was getting up and going 3 to 4 times a week but that is not 7 days a week.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I have started walking again. I do around 10PM at night, kind of with a neighbor, we stay about 10 feet apart or so back to front, and back again is 3.5 miles. Doing three times a week, is goal. For now going halfway so getting in 1.75 miles this way. On other days doing cycling.
    Working with what is called I think a yoga strap for hamstring stretches I am so uncoordinated at times lol.
  • bmeadows380
    I've been good at getting at least 30 minutes in for walks in the last few weeks, and this weekend, I pushed those walks to 60 minutes or more. I wasn't able to get outside today, though - it was cold and rainy all day. But I did finally get myself to look up some exercise videos on Youtube that were low impact and set for beginners, and I found a beginner body weight routine from fitnessnerds that I gave a try. I did 1 circuit of it, and they recommend doing it every other day and building up to 3 reps total. I also got in an elliptical session.

tomorrow, I plan to get another elliptical session in, maybe taking a break from working at home to get it since it supposed to be raining and that could be a good way to break up the monotony at home and distract me from wanting to eat! Then I may do another one of those workout videos and instead of the weight training, see if I can get through the jiu-jitsu solo videos I found. I"m not sure I have enough room, though, in my living room for that :)

The hardest part of these fitness videos, though, is that I have to be really careful with anything that has me lifting my arms. My grandfather built the addition onto the place where I'm living, and when he did it, he put in only 7 ft ceilings - I can stand flat-footed and brush my fingers against the ceiling, and I'm 5'8" tall. The room is long and narrow with 2 light fixtures and a ceiling fan in the middle, and while they are up high enough I don't have to worry about walking into them, they are very low and if I stick my arms up in the wrong place, I'll hit the light or get my hand in the fan!

half of my place used to be a trailer, so he matched the ceilings to the trailer's ceilings. The only room that has a full 8 ft ceiling is the kitchen, but I'm not sure I can get enough room to work out in there.