2020 - We can be our BEST SELF every day!

Options

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Great news about your mom, Suzy! You sound very busy.

I haven't been to the gym much either. The last time I booked, I had to cancel and was so relieved as I don't really enjoy it. I'm sorry about your workout buddy. I do think it's not the same going on your own.

I really need to do more exercise. I've decided to do an extra dance class, because I forget what I'm doing in between classes! So this other class will not be for over55s, but I think there are a couple of older people who go to it. I'm interested in that article about the 5000 steps, Snoozie! 5000 is so much easier than 10000!

My eating is not great either. I have no cooker at the moment (long story!) but that's no excuse. So funny about the peanut butter cup stash, Gail - that is me absolutely - just can't have the stuff in the house. My eating is often perfect up until the evening, then the cravings start, and the "well, just tonight, and I'll be back on it tomorrow" and so on. I have not done well with my rule of no eating after my last meal. And yet, I know that if I just stopped then, my weight would be under control.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Me too, Vail. I can't buy the stuff....but hubby and the rest like to have it around. I have no will power what.so.ever, so it's best if I don't have it in the house either. I did replenish Hubby's stash. But I told him, that I did not need to know where he had them this time.( but he could occasionally give me one or two!! Isn't that AWFUL OF ME !?!? lol

Great News, Suzy!! I am so glad for you and your Mom. I know it is so stressful for a loved one to be that sick and it is out of your hands. Best wishes on the shower. I know it will be so much fun!

Made it to the gym again this morning.
    The thing I like about this particular gym is that being a small town, It doesn't have that cold, impersonal , stuck-up feel that most gyms have...do you know what I mean? The owner is so friendly , kind, supportive. I have a(non-threatening) crush on him already. he is so sweet. His little family is adorable! a two year old little boy and a few months old baby girl. Haven't met his wife, but she has to be just as sweet as he is.

He set up a meeting with us newbies to show us how all the equipment works. I guess all gyms do that. I don't feel intimidated at all...which is odd for me. lol

Snoozie, hope you are doing great!!

G
  • Vailara
    Options
    That gym sounds fantastic! Yes, I do know what you mean. I used to go to a little local gym a few years ago and loved it, but they modernised it and it just wasn't the same (and also had a higher sub). It's a good sign that you don't feel intimidated there!
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    That gym sounds so nice. I go to the YMCA and it’s somewhere in the middle. I used to go to LA Fitness years ago and it was awful. They gave you a very quick disinterested demo on the machines and then wanted to sell you private trainer sessions at $90 an hour for more instruction. I took a Zumba class there and that’s when I tore my meniscus because the teacher was too busy watching herself in the mirror to offer instructions. Awful. The YMCA is okay. I just have to make myself go and establish a new routine.
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone

Thank you Snoozie for that tip I can try to get up to 5000 steps daily.

Gail, I think we have the same weather here in New Orleans, it has been rainy and cold. Today is nice and sunny. There's no will power over stashed snacks. lol

Glad to hear your mother is doing better Suzy!

I am also struggling, I see improvements but I am still trying to lose the extra pounds from the holidays. My goal is get below 170, 169.9 will do. lol. Its like I get down to 170 and I go right back up. This morning I was 171.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    sorry i've been MIA.. wish i could say it was because i was crazy busy but alas... i'm in the winter blahs and we won't even go there with the food.. i have been going to my classes and to pb twice a week but as we all know, the fork is still the #1 tool for weight loss and mine has been working overtime..

Suzy i'm so happy to hear your mom is doing so much better! Can ony imagine the prep work for the shower; hope you've got as much done in advance as you can.. if i recall its around Feb 9th?

Gail - twice a week to the gym? girl you are rocking it.. well done!! i wish i could find a gym like that around here, but being in a big city honestly - its all the chain ones with the young lithe bodies and peppy little coaches paid on commission for what they can get you to sign up for.. i may start a gym in retirement for people over 50 - geared toward what WE need and staffed with experts in how we differ from the young uns with our needs!

Vail - well done on deciding to add another class, and personally i think it's good that it isnt necessarily all over 50 for that.. i am the youngest by about 10 yrs in my exercise classes (but they all still do better than me!) and in my volunteer spot i'm also the youngest by about 10 yrs ... so i would actually like to find something that has various ages in it too.. let us know how it goes! as for the evening snackage, i hear ya ... and like you even tho i know stopping just the crap would def help me out, do i stop? no i dont.. it doesnt help im finding myself a bit bored these days too!!

Milove - good job on seeing ipmrovements and i have no doubt you'll meet your goal to get to that .9 !

I've pretty much been finding everything i can do today to avoid the chores i HAVE to be doing. its almost 4pm here and so far i think i've managed to tidy the living room.. notice i said tidy.. not clean !!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I just realized this morning it's the last week of January.. seems on one hand like forever since the start of the new year when it's only been 3 weeks.. its true what they say time goes by whether you do something or nothing! i've been doing a lot of nothing lately so i'm going to be working on that for a while... as well i'm going to try to do a little low carb eating for a while. Mainly veggies and protein as I've been eating so much crap lately i may have to go through some withdrawal!

i'm off to my class today.. the one with the mat work which i hate.. i'm always afraid i won't be able to get up off the damn mat and they'll all have to come over and drag me up! oh well.. it will be more of a workout for them, right? ha
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Good for you for going!!! The more you go, the easier it will be to get up off the mat! At least, that’s the plan.

I agree that this month has gone by in a blink. I haven’t made any progress on my health goals. I’m hopeful that I can turn that around soon. I feel a bit like I’ve lost control. I know it’s my decision what I put in my stomach and how often I exercise. My decision making abilities have been severely lacking of late.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I hear ya Suzy... this month has been a write off for me so far so i'm bound and determined to do a few things better this last week...

my worst nightmare came true this morning... i couldnt get off the mat... omg . thankfully i had a chair close to me and even though she always walks us through the best way to get up (strongest knee up, hand on it, push up with weaker leg) i just didnt hae the strength to do it and had to use the chair... i was honestly mortified.. so much so i actually started to cry on the way to the car! i think im more scared wondering why i'm so weak now... i dont ever remember having a problem getting up i've always scrubbed my floors on my hands and knees and now suddenly i seem to be losing strength everywhere.. anyway thats my whine for today, anyone got some cheese for me?? lol..
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I’m so sorry Snoozie. Don’t let that discourage you from going back. I’ve got to believe that the more you go, the stronger you’ll get and this fear will be a thing of the past. At least you’re going and doing something really good for yourself. Keep it up!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    thanks Suzy,, im hoping whatever is going on i will get stronger so i'll be going back for sure.. todays class was much better as of course no mat... but lots of weight stuff and she added a few new goodies OUCH... BUT there are things im learning there i can do at home with a chair as well and some bands; along with the squats and stuff so i'm going to try to get some of those in between classes.

I swear if i was Oprah rich i would have a personal chef btw...
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Personal chef and personal trainer! I would think that strength training is what’s going to help you get up off that mat.

I’m thinking about trying weekday meal prep. I’ve seen some info and recipes on skinnytaste. Maybe if I’m not having to think about what to eat all the time then I can have more control of myself...not be grazing through the kitchen. Saturday and Sunday would be more spur of the moment since that’s when things come up anyway. Do any of you have any experience with meal prepping for the week? Any thoughts?

• Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy.. by weekday meal prep, are you talking about cooking everything for a week on one day? or following an established meal plan and just making whatever it says every day?
  • Snooozie
    Options
    i wasnt quite finished on that post LOL.. the reason i'm asking about the meal plan you are talking about is because i've been googling some meal plans for type 2 diabetics.. looking for ideas more for lunches and dinners... and there aren't many actual plans out there whether for diabetic or just plain old meal plans with stuff i actually eat.. and the few i found had some weird stuff i'll never be making lol.. i took a quick look at skinnytaste and saw she has a meal plan there for a week... there's a few i would make but a lot of them are for 4 servings which is too much for me even if i could freeze some of it... anyway looking forard to hearing what you are gonna do with it... i ahve to admit since retiring trying to figure out 3 meals a day is a struggle; i often only had to worry about 2 when i was working cause we ordered out a lot.. i almost ordered chinese food last nite i was starving and had nothing that didnt require cooking - the only thing that stopped me was i would have had to order a ton of food to have it delivered - like dinner for 2 LOL... and then i would have had to pretend to be talking to someone when the delivery guy arrived.... :o
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    OMG!!! I'm laughing so hARD! Snoozie, that reminds me of when I was so addicted to eating that when I would order fast food, I would make sure I had ORDERED enough drinks to make it look like it was for more that just me. lol

Were you hydrated enough before and during your workout? I know if I am not, then I feel weak as a virgin drink.
    Or you had just exhausted your muscles. Hope you feel better next time.

Suzy, Not sure when you said the shower is, sending good vibes for the best one ever! I know you will all have so much fun!
    The meal prep sounds interesting.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    The shower is the 9th so I’ve still got time to get everything ready. Thanks for the good vibes!

Weak as a virgin drink? Hahaha!!!! That made me laugh. And acting like you’re talking to someone? Extra drinks? Y’all are too funny!

By meal prep I meant making or putting together five breakfasts/snacks/lunches/dinners on Sunday for Monday through Friday. Although my Sundays are usually spent hiking, so I’d have to figure out when to put it together. I was hoping it would eliminate the whole “what am I going to cook for dinner” and the “it’s easier to just get take out” dilemma. I’m in a Skinnytaste Facebook group and someone was making breakfast burritos for the week. I thought that was brilliant! I’m going to do some research on what other things I could make ahead of time like that. For dinners I could gather all the ingredients and do the prep ahead of time then just pull it out and cook it each night. If it’s four servings then make it one night and freeze two servings for the next week? Right now my freezer is full of stuff I’ve made ahead of time for the shower so I’d have to start after that.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    i think we're in the same facebook page for skinnytaste suzy lol.. my problem is with the freezing too (not bceause its stuffed with shower goodies lol) but its quite small and i already have some chili and soup in there and with the other stuff i just dont have the room..

i REALLY like the idea tho of at least figuring out in advance WHAT i'm going to make for the week and prepping the stuff at least the day before (im not sure i could do it on one day).. but knowing on sunday exactly what i'll be making for the whole week would indeed take some of the stress off the whole what the hell do i make tonite.. i may serach a few more meal plans and see if it can at least come up with a few days of things to make.. keep us updated pls!

i've started getting down on the floor at home and getting back up ... i do it next to a big heavy stool and a chair just in case.. but so far both times ive been able to get up on my own (barely, but i did it).. :)

and gail.. i totally get the double drinks lol. and yes its true.. whenever i order a pizza or chinese food i always pretend to be talking to someone in the next room just before i open the door... i jsut make up stuff like "i put the wine on the table" or "can you turn on the dryer for me? just so they dont think i ordered all that for myself LOLOLOL
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    You probably never have any reason for this, but that sounds like a good safety feature too ...I know, I know , I've seen too many crime shows. but you never know who's exactly knocking on the door....lol
  • Vailara
    Options
    I am laughing so much about pretending to be talking to somebody when the delivery guy arrives! I have been so tempted to do that myself at times! The number of times I've been shopping for goodies and said at the checkout "This isn't all just for me"! It's so funny. My son happily orders takeaway for himself and wouldn't think to pretend it was for more than one person.

Getting weaker - I'm sorry you had that experience. It's so demoralising. I do think there is something that goes on after menopause. I think we naturally get weaker anyway, but after menopause it's accelerated, probably due to the lack of hormones, and it's shocking how quickly it goes. Definitely "use it or lose it". It wasn't that long ago that I was lifting heavy weights at the gym and I'm a weakling now. I could do full pushups a couple of years ago - I struggle with the modified ones now. And that's with trying to do some strength training as well, although I haven't been consistent. Also, I don't know about you, but it changes from day to day, and some days I'm quite sprightly and the next I'm struggling to get out of a chair. With any luck maybe that day was just an off day and it will be easier next time? Getting off the floor is a difficult one, something that I could do easily not long ago, and now it's really difficult.

I suppose it does highlight that we need to do some strength/resistance training, like it or not. I really feel for you - so upsetting.

For myself, I know the extra weight isn't helping. It's making everything more difficult and more painful. If only there was something I could about that - lol!

• Vailara
    Options
    Meal prepping: I have done some in the past, but never been a big fan, partly because of very limited fridge and freezer space. However, I do sometimes do it a day or two in advance. For instance I've cooked up chicken and used it in sandwiches, salads, stirfries, etc. I sometimes do extra rice because it seems a shame to do one portion, and use it for meals the following day. I'm really cautious with rice so don't like to keep it more than a day. I also tend to cook larger portions of soup, and reheat. It is sometimes good to come home and know there is a meal that I can just put in the microwave or cook easily. Another thing I do quite often is roast vegetables: I mix them with seasoning, dijon mustard, maybe a bit of oil and roast as big a patch as I can fit in my oven. They are great to add to salads, as a side, or even a snack. Things with more homogenised taste/texture like stews, curries, chilli, bolognese sauce, etc. do seem to lend themselves well to prepping and reheating. Some are even better, e.g. day-old rice works better than freshly cooked for frying.

However, I'm not a fan of prepping a week in advance. I worry about things getting past their best, either in terms of food poisoning, or just taste/texture. I think I was once told that vegetables start to lose some vitamin C once cut, and I also think they tend to keep better whole. I also think some foods lose their crispiness (for instance, the roast vegetables) when stored in the fridge and aren't as good as when fresh.

So sorry, not much help - never had room to prep a whole week and don't think I'd want to! But I see the benefits of it. I have a feeling that if it really suited, it might be a game changer to have all the weeks meals neatly stacked in terms of sticking to "the plan". A bit like one of those expensive diet services which deliver all your meals, or even the meal replacement diets - if you know everything is prepped and planned then you know not to eat any extras!