2020 - We can be our BEST SELF every day!

Options

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hi!! crazy busy. 7 days a week....stay well!
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Thanks for popping in and letting us know you’re okay! I’m sorry you’re so busy, that’s got to be stressful. Hang in there!

We had a wonderful visit with our son and his GF. It was short but sweet. She’s Canadian (Vancouver Island) and is here on a work visa. Unfortunately, the band she works for (Little Big Town) is only able to pay her half salary until October. They’ve been dating for three years and now live together. It looks like she’s going to have to go back to Canada soon though. I feel so bad for them. She can’t stay without a sponsored visa and the government isn’t processing them right now. They were on the verge of starting the marriage visa process before this whole pandemic.

I just lost control Sunday and Monday with my eating. I’m back in the right frame of mind today. Hopefully the scale will continue to move in the right direction.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I hope it eases up soon for you, Gail. Thank you for checking in!

Glad the visit went well, Suzy - what a shame about the visa. I don't know how these things work but that sounds really difficult! Will it just be a long distance relationship until it can get sorted?

Well done on getting back on track with the eating. It's so easy to lose track. That eating instinct is so strong!

I slipped up at the weekend too - no excuse. But I'm finding the logging is helping. I did log all the extra that I ate at the weekend, or at least tried to (I lost count!). And it has been interesting because I "cheat" so much. For instance, yesterday I had run out of my usual sourdough and I thought I'd toast half a mini bagel from the freezer, but I burned it in the toaster. So I threw it away, but first of all I ate all the unburnt bits, and mentally didn't count them! Then I felt I was still entitled to a full lunch as the bagel didn't count! Then I ate some food that had to be used up and felt that shouldn't count either as it wasn't my choice. Anyway, by the time I'd faffed about with all these bits and pieces of food, I totted it up and it was about 500 calories, without me ever actually sitting down and having a nice, cohesive meal. So that was a learning experience - I don't like wasting food, but sometimes it's better to waste it, and then I can spend my calories on something that I think is worth it!

I'm still getting so peckish in the evenings. I have been largely vegetarian so bought some chicken today in the hope that a bit more protein will fill me up!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I can relate to the “not wasting food so I’ll just finish it off” mentality. I made a huge charcuterie spread for Saturday and had a lot of little bits leftover. I have to keep telling myself that everything I put in my mouth counts, whether I log it or not. I don’t know why I continue to go off the rails. I know it’s going to mean a setback for me but I do it anyway. We always say it’s 80% what you eat, 20% how much you move but it’s 100% mental!!!

My son recommended the whole fasting interval approach. Only eat between noon and 8:00 pm. But still make healthy choices. I tried it today. I made it to 10:30. Lol. I’ll try to not eat after 6:30. I’ve heard a ton of people talking about this approach. I usually wake up starving so I don’t know if I’ll be able to stick to it or not. I’ll give it a shot though. Since I get up at 6:00 am and go to bed at 10:00pm then I may go with eating from 11:00 to 7:00. Have any of you tried this? I know Vail was fasting at one point but wasn’t sure in what way.

My ankle and foot are still bothering me. I may have to find a doctor. Ugh.

• Vailara
    Options
    100% mental - so true! Yes, I've done fasting - all sorts of fasting! Including the "eating window" method, and variations on it. I do think it's helpful, actually. I still have to be careful about what and how much I eat in that window. I've tried windows from I think 8 hours right down to 1 hour (i.e. you can only eat for an hour a day) and even with the one hour I don't lose weight unless I control how much I eat, lol! :) I also find I have to avoid snacking during the eating window. If it's 8 hours, to be honest, I could eat pretty constantly for 8 hours. So I think it's a tool in the toolbox as they say. I still have to control my intake in addition to the fasting.

But it does tend to be a bit easier to control if you're eating less often. And I think if you are sticking to mealtimes, you think more about what you eat, and it tends to be something healthy.

I used to have to eat breakfast every morning - at least I thought I did! But the very strange thing I found is that if you don't eat, hunger tends to come in waves, and not that much. I would get hungry for a while in the morning, but if I did something else and distracted myself the hunger would go away, and I'd stop being hungry at all. I'd actually feel hungrier after eating. Very odd.

Anyway, I was inspired by a slim friend who never has breakfast, and I thought why am I eating these extra calories in the morning if I don't need to? So I rarely have breakfast these days. Just sometimes as a treat. Today for instance I think I ate about 11am and again at 6pm.

Bad news about your ankle and foot - so frustrating that you're not getting improvement by now. I hope you can get a doctor even if it's a virtual contact.

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Good morning Hatters... just catching up on everything and hopefully can reply to the specifics altho i'm only on my 2nd coffee as yet :)

Suzy.. i think you might indeed have to find a doc.. i know just the thought of it is daunting and im not sure how it works in the States.. i know you've told me before you dont have such a thing as a "family" doc but even if they can get some xrays of both the foot and the ankle and try to get things sorted for you it might help... fingers rossed girl you get some relief one way or the other!

As for the fasting.. never tried it so can't offer an opinion lol but you know i'm all about supporting whatever each of us decides works for ourselves so fingers crossed again!!

Vail - i dont even wanna go there with the night time snacking/eating.. and i did laugh at the burnt bagel bits because yup .. been there done that.. i find these days i can find an "excuse" for anything i put in my mouth!!!! be it healthy or not... im eating wayyyyyy too much and the scales are confirming that!!

I have come to the sad conclusion that i too am going to have to start logging again. And get over my "hatred" of doing it... changing my mental attitude toward it may be harder than the logging itself but i know if i don't i'll do it for a day or two then bail... but until i "see" how much i am really eating i think my brain will continue to make excuses for me ..

Part of the problem is I just don't feel like cooking anymore at all... no interest in it whatsoever so i resort instead to anything that doesnt need it.. which means packaged, unhealthy crap 99% of the time.. I am still trying to eat more fruit and plant based stuff, so i'll have a tomato and lettuce sandwich instead of a turkey one now and then... but even the thought of washing a ton of lettuce and prepping all kinds of veg to snack on right now is just like blahhhhh... and making a "real" dinner?? not even on the horizon most days.. sigh..

so looks like logging because i cannot believe how fast this summer is going by.. the last 5 months of isolation dragged and now the summer is here and flying by.. what the hell?? i do NOT want to end this year with all this weight still on me.. i don't care if it's just 5lbs or 10 but I want some of it gone before this horrible year ends...

My phone died last thursday and wasnt able to get it replaced til yesterday, so now i have no excuse not to log as at least scanning bar codes is a lot easier than manually logging some stuff.. and i do have all the recipes i entered way back still in there along with my recent and favourite items.. so if anything its easier now than when i first started..

Maybe i should go back too and look at some of my diary entries when i was losing.. it may inspire me to things to make i had forgotten about too.. anyway... that's all i have for now lol..

Keep the faith ladies... we know we can lose weight because we've already done it.. we just need to believe in ourselves and figure out what will work for each of us at this stage of the game! Group hug lol
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Okay, I totally forgot to fast this morning. Woke up soooo hungry, ate breakfast and then went, ohhhhhhh yeah I was supposed to fast. :(
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Snoozie I was just saying today that I’m so tired of food: planning meals, buying it, cooking it, eating it....everything! I sometimes wish I could just drink one of those slim fast shakes for every meal and just stop with everything else. But I know that’s not the answer and I still have to cook for my husband. I think I’m just tired. Hahaha.

I’ve got an appointment with my foot doctor on Monday. She also deals with ankles. I’ve also dragged out my knee exercise stuff from 2016 when I had my meniscus procedure. I’m hoping that will be enough to get my knee back in shape.

I’ll try to remember not to eat first thing tomorrow morning. Lol!

By the way, what did you do to your thumb Snoozie? Are you able to play PB?
  • Vailara
    Options
    Those meal replacement diets seem to be quite successful short term. I think it's maybe about not having to think about food. That's one of the things I like when I'm fasting: just not having to think about food at all. But you just reminded me, I'm sure years ago when I was trying out the 5:2 diet I had a meal replacement drink and had a couple of sips when I absolutely felt I needed to have something. I think I only did that for a couple of days, but I liked the reassurance of having something there. (Having said that, 5:2 didn't work for me, because I ate too much in my 5 days, lol! But the shake idea was useful as a calorie counted crutch to get me through the beginning!).

Have to admit, I have considered doing total meal replacement now that I'm not cooking for anybody else, just to get the weight off quickly. But apart from the expense I do worry that it's less healthy than the food I make for myself, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea with my health conditions.

Forgetting to fast, I've done that, but because I so rarely have breakfast now, it's not part of my routine. I suppose the other thing you could do is keep pushing it forward rather than waiting till 11 the first time - just keep having it a bit later every day?

Glad you've got an appointment about your foot, Suzy. You have soldiered on long enough!

Some of your recipes sound lovely, Snoozie, but I have to admit that the tomato and lettuce sandwich is not grabbing me, lol! Unless it had a ton of mayonnaise or salad cream. I know what you mean about washing lettuce, etc! One of my least favourite things! One thing that has been helping me a little bit recently is to do the veg prep a little bit in advance so when it comes round to making my meal it's all ready to throw in the pan. Before I did that I would get to teatime, and think that I just wanted something quick to make, whereas if I've already cut up all the veg I feel I have to go ahead with the planned healthy meal!

What about cottage cheese to add to your no prep meals? Is that allowed on your Mediterranean diet? How about a nice boiled egg and toast instead of the sandwich? You could add in a bit of veg, fruit. Just saying that because it's one of my favourite meals! And not a huge amount of calories, and there's the protein from the eggs.

I've also bought extra things like cucumber, celery, cherry tomatoes which don't have a huge amount of prep and low calorie (would prefer to eat raw carrot, but it seems more of a faff to scrape/peel them and they are harder to cut up - how lazy am I? Lol!). I sometimes put some onion salt and/or vinegar on them for a bit of taste. If I'm doing salads I often add some seeds/nuts for interest and texture - just a small amount, say 5-10 g.

Welcome back to logging, Snoozie. I'm doing a little bit of fasting and logging - maybe I need to do two things as one doesn't work on it's own any more!

• Snooozie
    Options
    morning hatters.. quick note for now more later as i'm off to pickleball - the thumb tendon injury is on my left hand suzy so yep can still play as im right handed.. im SO glad you have a doc apt for your foot... and that you have your paperwork dug out to bring too .. i know the knee and foot are very related to movement; when you have to compensate on your foot it messes up everything i think from knees to hip etc... so happy you are going to get everything checked out

Vail - yes for sure those are all great ideas for prep - my prob is honestly i just can't seem to be bothered with anything food related; well anything that requires preparation that is.. i seem to be just fine being able to open a bag of crisps! But i swear i open the fridge and stare inside at everything.. but then think it all needs too much work to make something.. then i go tothe cupboards and look at them.. and think the same thing... im honestly not sure if its just sheer laziness but nothing seems to appeal to me or be worth bothering to cook LOL.. i know i have to get over it.. so i'm determined today to get cracking along with the loggiing... and try to plan at least a days worth of meals in advance.. so i dont have to "think"... i guess.. even takeout isnt appealing to me at this point .. i got some fish and chips last week thinking yum yum i dont have to cook and yum.. and i wolfed it down ... but after i realized .. it wasn't really "fabulous".. it was good.. but.. i felt kinda sick after cause i shoved it down so fast and there was so much of it... anyway nuff whining lol... so i will work hard on that starting today.. i had a 1/2 turkey and havarti sandwich for breakfast before play and i'll sit this afternoon and work out at least the rest of today and tomorrow for meals.. fingers crossed!

• Vailara
    Options
    Oh, I know that feeling of looking in the fridge and the cupboard and it seems like too much work! I'm sure I've said before, I only tend to cook easy things, as if it's so tiring to cook something complicated. And take my ideas with a pinch of salt - I'm full of ideas, but have managed to gain about 20 lbs over the past year (yes, really, what I thought was maintenance turned out to be a slow gain, lol!).

For lunch today I cheated and made a veg curry using a pre-made curry sauce mix - very easy and quick, but actually tasted really good, probably due to the monosodium glutamate! I will definitely be doing that again, as it was an easy way to eat veg but felt quite substantial and surprisingly delicious! And under 200 calories. Which, apart from the milk in my tea, left me the rest of my calories to spend on .... a cheese and wine tasting on Zoom! Amazingly, I have tasted a lot of cheese and had a couple of glasses of wine and am within my calorie limit!

But I've also had your fish and chips reaction before. I hate that feeling of thinking something wasn't worth it and if only I could go back in time and uneat it! Can you imagine, if we had some special ability like in the Prince of Persia video games, where we could rewind time - if we eat something and feel it wasn't worth the calories, wind back and make a different decison! If only!
  • Vailara
    Options
    Well, I spoke to soon over the cheese and wine... just before going to bed I cracked and ate chocolate and crisps. I'm sure if I hadn't had the wine I'd have been stronger. Lesson learned. I will finish the bottle over the next couple of days because I can't pour wine down the sink, but I think it needs to be for rare occasions only. It is actually possible to taste cheese without washing it down with wine!

I've totted up my calories and I was probably just above my TDEE, so have maybe gained an ounce (although my weight shot up this morning), so no major harm done. But I'm hungry today! Even if I can maintain over the weekend and get back on it on Monday, it's better than nothing. I'm so annoyed at myself for letting the weight creep up, but I've got to look forwards and keep trying!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - i would have LOVED the wine/cheese zoom event ... and would have overindulged a LOT! a friend of mine ordered one of those anti fatigue kitchen mats from Costco for me.. i'm hoping it will help with doing a lot of the prep work for veg and for all the dishes i seem to accumulate daily.. i havent used the dishwasher in over a year because its just me... and its a crappy one one anyway that never seemed to clean them.. so i am hoping that will help me out to do more prep work etc... its nice and squishy and i have a hard tile kitchen floor (which i might add.. turned a lovely shade of pink yesterday for a while after i dropped a large jar of pickled beets on the floor - the plastic grocery bag broke as i was carrying it to the kitchen counter to unpack and of course.. the jar smashed and red juice and beet went everywhere.. i got it cleaned up very quick as once it started to seep into the grout i was like omg.. lol cause beet juice stains like crazy... but i'll give the whole floor a good wash today again (it's no longer pink btw) Anyway when i went to pick up the mat we sat outside for a quick visit and she offered me a glass of wine.. i compromised and said maybe a 1/2 glass.. it was lovely but had to escape so i didn't cave and have more!

The one thing i am not a fan of is curry... can't stand it... there are very few things on the planet i won't eat.. liver being one and curry being the other lol. But i could do a veg stir fry .. so that might be tonites menu as i do have a fair bit of veg at the moment. Thanks for that idea!

I'm off for my walk.. yesterday i played pb for 2 hrs; did an online fitness class and went for a 3km walk... trying to atone for doing nothing the day before when i was wallowing.. but i think i'll try to space things out a bit more this week lol.

Have a great weekend ladies...
  • Vailara
    Options
    PIckled beets on the floor, what a nightmare! I'm glad there was no permanent damage - you might have had to change your whole decor!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I can’t imagine cleaning that up! I’m glad it didn’t stain the grout. It must be sealed pretty well. Pickle ball, walk and an online class? Good for you, Snoozie!

I always say I don’t care for curry but I honestly can’t remember why I say that! Lol. I should try it again. I like the idea of prepping veggies ahead of time. I was going to try meal prep not too long ago but I think what I really meant by that was just prepping the ingredients ahead of time so that it would be easier to quickly cook a meal. Sometimes the prep work is too overwhelming when you’re in a rush or tired. I’m going to think on that one and see what I can do on weekends to prepare for the week. Being a full time granny nanny is exhausting and I haven’t even started back at the gym first thing in the mornings yet. I sure do enjoy sleeping in on the weekends!

The scale was actually down a bit this morning and I wasn’t expecting that, so a pleasant surprise!
  • Vailara
    Options
    wpcrwe9ox98a.png
  • Snooozie
    Options
    omg Vail - love this LOLOL... i say as i gulp down my 2nd coffee LOLOL

thanks for the laugh today!! More later off to pb still chuckling
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Very funny! Thanks for the levity!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    By the way, went to the doctor on Monday. She gave me a cortisone shot in the joint of my second toe. Talk about hurt! Ouch! It’s still hurting from the injection so I’m not sure if it has helped yet. Fingers crossed that it does the trick. She thinks my ankle is a strained tendon and should be fine in a couple weeks. It is feeling better so that’s encouraging. She said the joint at the base of my second toe looks to be “loose” and that’s something that won’t change so I’ve got to have the proper support in my shoe. I’m optimistic.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hiya.... thot i'd pop in for a quick peek; Suzy i'm so glad you went to the doc.. ouch on the cortisone shot ow ow ow... im cringing just thinking about that!!! Fingers crossed indeed it works - i have heard it can take up to a week to kick in so i'm hoping the injection pain goes away soon and the benefits kick in!! Ouch on the tendon... is it the achilles one? did she suggest physio or rest for it? The tendon in my thumb.. well at the base of my thumb that leads down the wrist is whats messed up for me.. i've been wearing the thumb splint mainly at night because the pain was waking me up every time my wrist or thumb moved and its helped with that, but im not sure its helped with "resting" it as such.. she did suggest physio but she had the same thing and said she wore a brace for a few weeks so im hoping that will work for me instead.. altho could take up to 6 weeks apparently... gak... anyway it's been about a month now i think so we'll see.. i hope your tendon heals soon cause ligaments and tendons can often take longer than broken bones to heal as we know

Are you still being a full time caregiver for your granddaughter or was it just that one week? One of my friends who was doing the same also found it exhausting - and that's before he was anywhere near mobile.. he's 4 now so i think it's worse cause he's on the move constantly lol...

i wish i had a teenager in the house. .im still having issues with my email accounts and its so frustrating trying to deal with the provider(s) and somewhat embarrassing too because they ask me something and i'm like.. huh?? i dunno... i swear i can feel the eyeball roll happening on the other end of the phone :) oh well i'll keep trying until it ends up flying out the window lol

i got a great sale on boneless chicken breasts the other day so i bought a package of 12 then realized they wouldnt fit in my freezer lol.. so i spent an hour separating them all and packing them up; i cut some into stirfry strips and others horizontally and left a few whole and cooked up a bunch on a cookie sheet.. did some with greek seasoning some with just S&P and spices and left a couple of pieces plain.. i figure that way i can toss them in salads or have for dinner with some veg ... was nice and easy tho putting them all on one sheet and just spicing them differently.. perhaps that will help me make better choices this week... i have cut down a lot on the crap eating tho so that's a plus.. i'll take it :)

will check in later.. now the TV has gone out... i know, first world probs but there ya go lol