2020 - We can be our BEST SELF every day!

Options

Replies

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Thanks y’all. Notice I didn’t show you the photos that had me looking like a big pink marshmallow! Lol!

Today was wonderful. I cleaned up from the party and did absolutely nothing else! Tomorrow I’m cleaning out the fridge and cupboards and going grocery shopping for healthy food. I’m planning to go to the gym and hope that I can put on my big girl panties and make it happen. I’ve reached my limit. I can’t fit into my clothes and I don’t like what I see in the mirror. So...game on!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Suzy!! Absolutely you are in the wrong business! those decorations and the goodies are as beautiful as you and your daughter ARE!! I know you all had a wonderful time and the guests too. You must be exhausted!
    No, you are not huge! yes, you are rocking that PINK! Your daughter is so pretty, she definitely looks like your twin.

Snoozie, I hope you did sing!!.....I know no one cared. I'm sure they were too busy singing themselves.. lol

Vail, I read it too fast and had to go back and re-read your post after Suzy commented about the cat litter. In my mind I could see you squatting over a kitty litter box, to make sure you did them correctly without falling ….Your actual way was much better!!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Suzy I agree with Gail - you could go into business making those cookies and choc boxes ! i'm glad you got a down day after the party and hope you're feeling good now!

Gail - your comment about picturing vail squatting over a kitty litter box slayed me... in my fitness class we have to straddle one of those step things and do a squat, pick up the weights laying on the step, lift them over our head while standing up and repeat ad nauseum.. i may be laughing too hard my next class when we have to do that because i'll be picturing myself over a kitty litter box now!

Vail are you still under renos at your place now - still with no cooker??? i honestly dont know how you;re doing it if so....

my shoulder has been messed up since my 2nd class.. i shouldnt have gone probably as it was sore before hand but at least today it feels a bit better so im trying to decide if i wanna try pickleball today... we're getting some snow right now so that might decide for me lol.. it's going down to -20C here tomororw so i think i'd rather venture out today than tomororw morning brrrrrrrr

Oh.. and so i was asked to help interview new volunteers at the LAC (where i volunteer) - it was inhteresting - i had one complete flake and one very nice lady who is retiring in june.. anyway the next day i got an email from the supervisor who had asked me to help out, saying they were going to b e posting some job calls for part time house captains (they are the paid people who brief us before a show, and kinda run the thing asisgnign us our spots etc)..

I'm kinda torn about it. i dont think i really want to do it.. i really like having no responsibility at all as a volunteer LOL.. when i retired i swore i was going to take a year off from any work at all.. and i dont really want to work again... BUT.. im also finding myself kinda bored here and there.. i could just volunteer more often but im sort of tempted to maybe apply.. it would also be pretty hard to go from volunteer to being house captain over the other volunteers i work with... anyway.... not to say i would even get the job ... but i think im just thinking out loud at this point LOLOL

i better start by at least showering and getting dressed today.... !! hope everyone is having a good week
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    So, if you did get a house captain position could you go back to being a non-paid volunteer if it proves to be something you don’t want to do? It sounds like you really enjoy the volunteering and I’d hate to see you miss out on that.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I’m still having issues with mine from trying to lift that stupid fence right before Christmas. It’s feeling better though so I may try yoga on Monday. My hips are getting really stiff. This whole aging thing is for the birds.

I’m slowly (very slowly) getting control of my eating. I’ve started looking into meal prepping recipes and ideas. Just trying to figure out how to make it work.

I’m not going to complain about it being cold here anymore. -20????!!!! Wowsa! That’s inhuman. Stay warm Snoozie!!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I COULD go back to volunteering but i decided i didn't want a job right now lol.. maybe in the fall if they post another one (house captains dont seem to last too long lol... usually cause they are young and bail every few months) maybe thats why they want an old chick? hahah.. so i'll finish this season as a volunteer :)

i hear ya on the stiff hips girl.... seems like more and more parts are stiffening up but the hips are #1... good job on getting into your eating routine again = slow but sure wins the race, right!! funny you metnion the yoga.. i cant do yoga im to stiff and everythign is way too tight (muscles and tendons etc) but they offer a chair yoga at the senior centre... i was thinking of maybe signing up for it ...
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Definitely do the chair yoga! I highly recommend it.
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!

Suzy a great job on the shower love the pics!! Congrats on a successful shower for your daughter!! However, you do not look huge!

I am at 173 lbs still a little ways from the 169.9. But I rejoined the gym yesterday. And I hit 8000 steps Wednesday and 7000 steps yesterday. The rest of the days it was about 3000.

I am a little sad right now got some family issues going on, so I cannot reduce my calories right now have to try to step up on the activities.

• suzyqholland
    Options
    Thank you Milove.

I’m sorry to hear that things are difficult with your family. Stepping up the activity will help with stress and give you a feeling of accomplishment. Hopefully that will help mentally. Family issues are so hard. I hope it’s better for you soon.

We had beautiful weather today so we actually got to walk by the river. It felt good to get those steps in but my muscles are so stiff. I feel my motivation coming back in small spurts...maybe “drips” would be more accurate. I’m getting there. I really can’t stand how I look right now. We’re planning to go hiking tomorrow but no mountains, maybe around a lake.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Is this a southern saying? “My get up and go, got up and went.” Because that seems to be my motto right now. I am seeing first hand how your emotions directly affect your eating and motivation. It’s been extremely difficult dealing with my parents lately and, even though I know it’s terribly unhealthy behavior, I’ve been overeating and not exercising. I manage a few days of doing better and then I have to deal with something with them and I fall into destructive behavior like ordering pizza and drinking several glasses of wine. Why can’t I be one of those people who deal with stress by going to the gym? Lol. I know, absolutely KNOW, that my mom’s health issues are directly related to her lifestyle choices of eating poorly and not exercising and yet, I’m doing the exact same thing right now. Ugh. I’ve got to change this destructive behavior before I end up in her position.

Thanks for letting me vent.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suz - I'm glad you shared with us.... and i can honestly say i know exactly how you feel right now.. when I was caregiver for my mom, i gained about 20 lbs over a few years, maybe more. I would come home usually feeling sad or frustrated or exhausted and i would turn to food for comfort. Chips don't judge and don't need any care and were there for me... yup sounds pretty pathetic but at the time food was the thing i thought comforted me... and grabbing a burger on the way home or ordering a pizza because i was just too damned tired to make anything became the standard. Caregiving plays on your emotions, not on your "logic" brain,- so its understandable that knowing your mom's issues are related to her lifestyle choices would play on your mind a lot... and make you question why you aren't doing everything you think are the "right" things to ensure you have a different outcome for yourself..

i would like to say tho Suzy, and i hope i'm not out of line... that i think you might have forgotten all the awesome changes you have already made in your own lifestyle in the past few years, that have already gone a long way to changing your life.. you are eating far better now as you have taken the time to not only learn about good nutrition but implemented it... you continue to do your walking and amazing hikes.. you make time for family and friends. Right now you're dealing with several big stressors - grandbaby and parents. and more than likely a few other issues as well if you're anything like the rest of us :) and its totally understandable that you're finding yourself in a bit of a funk about your food choices at the moment....

Maybe to find your way back to where you want to be, some baby steps could help.. perhaps go back to the basics where we started making just small changes... one healthy meal a day no matter what; switch out the chips for an apple one day (and have the chips (or pizza) the next if you still want them.. Have two glasses of wine instead of 3... take 10 min a day to do something physical; go for a walk, scrub the kitchen floor lol... (altho that wouldnt be my first choice!) maybe do a few squats during commericals on tv.. but baby steps.. and remember that we are a work in progress - and it's progress not perfection we're looking for. We've all had times like youre going through so just know that we're here for you anytime if you just need to vent or if there's anything we can do to help... hugs

• suzyqholland
    Options
    Thank you Snoozie. I really appreciate the good ideas and the support. I found out late yesterday afternoon that my daughter is being put on bed rest for the last month of her pregnancy due to high blood pressure. It was spiking when she went to work but within normal range at home. I’m going to meet her at work today and help her clean out her classroom. She’s changing high schools in the fall so she won’t be teaching at this one again. So I guess I’ll be helping her out at home a bit the next month. We’ve talked my parents into allowing a home health agency to come three afternoons a week. We’re hopeful that will work out but my mom is extremely difficult to deal with. Stress is real and living in my guest bedroom.

Jeez! I sound like such a Debbie Downer! It’s all going to be okay. Everything is going to be fine. I need to concentrate on the things I have control over and take care of myself because I have a lot of people depending on me. Eating right and getting exercise will help me stay healthy and sane. I just need to remember this and put it into action.

Enough about me!!! How is everyone else doing? How are you all dealing with the winter weather and blues?

• Snooozie
    Options
    Suz how close do you live to your daughter? My sister was on bed rest for a few months during her pregnancy and i know its gotta be stressful for both you and your daughter, but she's very lucky to have you available for sure! Might be tough on hubby having to step up and do a bit more for this last month too! Thats great that you talked your parents into getting some help... i can totally relate to you worrying about your mom not responding well to the help.. my dad was the same and it took a few different "helpers" before he found one he was comfortable with.. it IS hard to let a stranger into your home even if they are they to help!

i loved your line " Everything is going to be fine. I need to concentrate on the things I have control over and take care of myself because I have a lot of people depending on me. Eating right and getting exercise will help me stay healthy and sane." So true!!! (and i did laugh at the "sane" part!!

I had gone for some blood tests on wed - just the usual ones before my sched 4 month apt next week.. but on thurs my doc called and said you need to come in today and start meds..yikes.. but she told me on the phone it was because i apparently i have something called hyperthyroidism; its pretty uncommon as most people have hypo, not hyper - hyper is where your thryoid is in overdrive and pumping out massive amounts of hormones and pretty much throwing your entire system into overdrive. My doc had tested me 4 months ago and it was a little high but i guess the tests this time showed the numbers were off the charts. :( Anyway i'm now on meds for a month and then will retest.. i'm really hoping they work cause if not they will have to look at other options which didn't sound that appealing at all!

But it may explain some of the things that have been going on as some of the symptoms include not sleeping (me!) anxiety, muscle weakness etc... but the big one can be weight loss LOL.. so here i have been thinking i've been doing really well as i've lost about 8lbs since October.. but turns out it wasnt me making it happen, it was because of the HT.. BUMMER lol

I'm off today to an art exhibit where a friend has some pieces on display, then a kiddie show at the :LAC tonie... it's going up to 7C here tomorrow woo hoo so i'm thinking perhaps a walk at the lake is in my future! have a great wekeend everyone

• suzyqholland
    Options
    “Sane” is in the eye of the beholder. Lol!

I’m sorry to hear about the thyroid issues. It seems to me that a high percentage of the women I know have thyroid problems. It’s a bummer that the weight loss might be a result of that instead of your efforts but how encouraging to know that the muscle weakness and sleeplessness can be helped! I think it can take some time to get your medication adjusted just right so hang in there. At least they caught it and you’re addressing the problem.

My daughter lives about 35 minutes away, so not too bad. She’s in the exact opposite direction of my parents who live 45 minutes away from me. I’m going to be putting some miles on my car! Lol.

• Snooozie
    Options
    Thanks Suz... i think the people with "hypo" have a very difficult time adjusting the meds to get to the "right" amount a lot of trial and error.. they are the ones with a really slow metabolism where its underactive and theres a lot of adjusting to get the dosage right.. i'm honestly not sure how it works with the "hyper" tho.. i have to take one pill a day for a week then 2 pills a day for 3 weeks... and i think i have to go for a scan to make sure there's nothing else going on with it. If the meds dont work she said they will use radiation to burn out the thyroid completley.. gak.. so i am thinking positive that the meds will do the job! I'm not sure if the muscle weakness is actually part of it, but i confess i googled the disease (i rarely do that!) and it was listed there so again hoping the meds will fix that up too!! I worked a kiddie show at the LAC last night and i crouched down to ask one of the mom's if they wanted a booster seat for the kid.. but by the time we both figured out what each other was saying it took a few min, and when i went to stand up again i could barely make it back up - i grabbed a seat back to help... so it woudl be good if the meds help out in that area too!

Of COURSE your daughter and parents are in opposite directions from your place.... never fails, eh? Yes youre likely to be putting on the miles so hope your car is in good shape LOL.
    When does the parental help start - have they had their first person show up yet? keep us updated as to how it goes if they havent come yet..

It's supposed to go up to 8C this aft - which i think is about 50F ? so im think i'll go to pb for an hour or 2 at noon then hit the lake for a walk... but since i'm still in my jammies i guess it would be a good idea to shower and dress first ha... sunday mornings are meant for jammies and coffee right??

I signed up for the same 2 classes into the spring session which goes to June 22.. but i only took one over the summer.. i figure i'll be out and about enough in the good weather to make up for it!

Oh and i updated my ticker to my current weight so i can see if it starts to level off with the meds or what..
  • milove1029
    Options
    Good Morning everyone,

Suzy, thanks for the support. I do understand the wine, such a tasty relaxer, but full of calories. Thank goodness your daughter has you for support and assistance. Sorry that your parent and your daughter live in the direct opposite. :dizzy:

Snoozie, sorry to hear about the hypothyroidism, but thank goodness one pill daily can solve the problem. Updating the ticker is the story of our lives. But at least we are hanging in there.

I was able to reach 7000 steps twice last week, and once I reached 8000. The rest of the days were 3000 to 5000. I went to the gym once. Still trying to climb the stairs at work. I will take your advice Snoozie and try to reduce the wine to 2 glasses :blush:

• milove1029
    Options
    Hello, hope everyone is well!!

I was able to reach 7000 steps two days last week.

Enjoying food and wine too much.

Everyone have a good week.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    7000 steps is a great accomplishment Milove! Keep it up!

I’ve been enjoying food and wine way too much as well. I’m heavier than I’ve been in almost six years. After my shower this morning, I really looked at myself (probably too much information, sorry about that lol) and got angry. I’m angry that I’ve let myself get back to this weight. Angry that I worked so hard to lose that 35 pounds and then put it right back on.

I have two options:
    1) wallow in self pity and continue to eat, then be even more angry when I gain all of my weight back.
    - Or -
    2) get my act together, cut out the mindless eating/snacking, eat veggies/proteins /complex carbs, measure/weigh my food to be aware of serving sizes, log my food, move more!

I’m choosing option 2. Enough is enough.

• Snooozie
    Options
    Suz if there is one thing i can relate to its regaining weight that i worked so hard to take off... the anger and disappointment I felt in myself just kept me spiraling downward... so good on you girl for seizing the anger and making it work for you instead by deciding on option #2! And smart on putting together a plan to get to where you want to be! Im trying to go back to some basics too.. the smaller meals, yesterday i had a turkey tomato and lettuce sandwich, it was pretty big so i only ate 1/2 of it and had the other 1/2 around 230pm.. kept me from starving before dinner BUT also had a late dinner and ate way too much because i was hungry again... so note to self.. one day at a time, small changes here and there just like when we started will help us get there!! Hugs
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Yep...one day at a time. So true. Not every day is going to go as planned but we have to just do our best, learn from our mistakes and strive to do better.

How are the meds for your thyroid going? Could they be making you more hungry? I bought some herbal teas yesterday and am going to try and drink them when I start feeling hungry between meals and right before dinner. I’m hoping it will help curb my hunger until I get used to eating less.

I’m going over to my daughter’s house tomorrow to do a deep cleaning for her. She’s measuring 39 weeks already and they’re hinting at inducing next week! That’s only a week earlier than we expected but she’s freaking out. Anything I can do to help reduce her stress is a good thing. It will be good exercise for me, too. Win win!! Lol.

• Snooozie
    Options
    great idea on the teas!! and yep its not about perfection but progress... i'm honstly going to take it one day at a time. Tonite i am gonna try a chicken cacciatore; not sure if the skinnytaste one is to my liking but i figure it can't be too high in cals no matter what.. and i'll have leftovers lol..

I'm not sure how the meds are working yet; i go for blood tests end of next week which may let me know..

I bet your daughter is gonna love you more for the deep clean - and as you said will burn off a few cals too!! oh myyyyyyyyy you're gonna be a grandma in a few weeks!! woo hoo