Options
124»

Replies

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,790 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Morning dear plant people!

Already had two cuppas ... do decadent to take my time on Tuesday morning...my weekend always looks so long at this time, and this is when I appreciate that I am able to do my very long two days Fri/Sat 13/12 hours. Penny, I work FRI - MON 40 hours.

Anyway, welcome to our newest member, Penny...and wtg getting that blood pressure under control.

Austin, I looked up the book and naturally I ordered it. NOW I just need to put these practices into use.

My doc appointment is at 11...it will be almost a year that I am plant-based and I will be interested in seeing how my blood work comes back

Mihani, maybe you can send your contractor to me! LOL, he sounds amazing. So happy the house is underway...what a relief for you. Everything will quiet down and you will be so enjoying life again.

Austin I have to say you really did nail it when you said, It's so hard when people think they are kidding, and don;t get it that it is landing as not funny for the other person.

That is exactly what happened. But all is good now. He was at work yesterday...much more quiet with me than usual...but I think we will be able to get to a happy place again since he knows my boundaries, now.

So, today looks like:

potatoes & spinach...soup and spinach...rice and steamed veggies.

I have no almond milk made...and I hate buying milk when I have tons of almonds ready to be soaked and whipped up in my vita-mix. I just have to soak some...will do that now...and make milk tomorrow. I need to get back to having oatmeal every day. OVERNIGHT oats, I think will work best for me. Never really got into it...so if anyone has any advice or killer recipes, let me know. I made them a couple times and they were kind of slimy! Ack!

Alrighty then my plant people...have a delicious day and I shall talk to you later. Hugs!
  • magic71755
    Options
    Lazy Wednesday morning with my best girl...having a latte...got a frother/heater for Valentine's Day...works so well...love it! So decadent on the weekend!

Lulu has a wellness check today and a Parvo shot...man, I love this little girl so much! Her vet is back where I used to live across town...she was LME's vet and we love her and she is so taken with Lulu...so off to Scottsdale we go. We are fortunate to have Midwestern Animal Companion Hospital close by in the next town over...Ernestine spent several days there twice when she was sick...they have techs who are there during the night, with vets on call, keeping close watch on the patient. Godsend this hospital! www.mwuanimalhealth.com/

Today's Menu will feature:

oatmeal
    bean tostada
    stir fry veggies (big assortment) and jasmine rice
    fresh fruit salad

Hope everyone has a delicious day!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hello, all!

@magic71755 - That frother sounds like a fun gadget. Enjoy!
    I hope little Lulu's wellness checkup goes well!
    I don't have any OVERNIGHT oats ideas for you. I cook them up in the morning for my teenager, though, and get a nice, nonslimy texture. I use old fashioned oats (about 3/4 cup), less water than the package calls for (about 7/8 cup), and less time in the microwave oven than called for (2 1/2 minutes), and then let it sit for a couple of minutes (in a shallow dish so it cools quickly). I then add applesauce (moistens it to get the texture to right), peanut butter, and raisins.

@Pennylite - Welcome to our friendly plant-based eaters group!
    I think I shared highlights of my journey with you. After I went vegan and lost no weight, I stayed vegan and did the Zone Diet (40-40-20 macros), and lost weight slowly and steadily. It was a very limited diet, but great to see the weight come off. Months into that, as I kept talking to my expert and kept reading, I read Eat to Live. We had a copy in the house, as my husband had been given one at work years ago. I read it, and then went off and read more current works, talked to my expert, and was convinced this was a thing to try. I thought I would try it and then make a change if it did not seem to agree with me after a few weeks. I lost over 8 pounds my first week on the diet, and then after that, the weight continued to come off (not that quickly, but that 8 pounds never came back). Three weeks in to Eat to Live (fall of 2018), I was down over 14 pounds, and under 200 for the first time in years.
    The health benefits have been great. At my annual checkup, my very reserved doctor was almost giddy, and all my blood work came back much, much improved. I am much more mobile now. I am no longer in daily pain. Circulatory and digestive issues are gone. Knee issues resolved, which I think is both the decrease in weight and reduced inflammation. It has been a huge change.
    I just last night had someone ask if I was "still" on a special diet. I just smiled and said nothing had changed.

@Mihani - It is so fun to hear your house transformation is progressing. Woohoo!

@CoffeeandHumblePie - How are you and your husband doing? Starting to feel better, I hope!

Book lovers -- I am so SO loving the book Tiny Habits. If anyone tackles reading it and using his habit change system, let me know! I am playing with building new tiny habits and loving it!

I am on track for a good plant-based day with all of the G-BOMBS covered!
    B-coffee, green smoothie (blueberries, spinach, broccoli), goji berries, almond butter
    L-turnip greens with black beans; steamed zucchini with grape tomatoes and raw onions; steamed mushrooms, carrots & parsnips; steamed acorn squash, butternut squash & steamed apple
    S(planned)-apple slices & a few brazil nuts (selenium!)
    D(planned)-romaine, kale salad with roasted beets & homemade plant-based dressing
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,910 Member
    Options
    I have hit the "this sucks" portion of the work on the house. :p Right now everything in every bedroom is piled and stacked in the middle of each room, in boxes and tubs. That was my project last night. I'll be sleeping on the couch until work is completed because my bedroom is a disaster. My dog is exhausted. He's used to sleeping all day while I'm at work and he's been dealing with daytime disruption for 3 days. LOL

This is just a quick check in. So busy at work and here at home right now. Enjoyed reading your posts will respond better soon!
  • Pennylite
    Pennylite Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome @magic71755 & @AustinRuadhain. Love how focused posts on here are about being healthy & attaining challenging goals. And sharing how things are going day to day. As I well know, it’s often a lonely path frequented by others questioning our choices. I have benefitted so much from Drs Fuhrman, Greger, Klaper, Barnard etc & am very pleased to connect with others whose lives have also changed as a result of discovering the benefits of a WFPB lifestyle. We are the pioneers!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi All... and welcome Penny! (I actually welcomed you before but it is a page back so not sure you saw it.) I don't really talk about my diet or being vegan with others much in real life, but I've been vegan for a long time so everyone close to me knows it's not just a phase I am going through and they are very accommodating. I don't anticipate that others will go out of their way, but they often do! :)

My contractor had another job to attend to today and tomorrow so it looks like painting won't start until the first of the week. I will be so happy when I get my bedroom and bed back! I am going to have to try to move some things around to get to the PC in my office upstairs. I think I can get to it and just upload so I can work from my laptop downstairs. It's a real mess up there.

Magic, I'm not crazy about overnight oats. I jut add a small amount of hot water to my oats to soften them a bit right before I eat them. Sometimes I will actually cook them but I prefer them a bit more chewy/undercooked.

I will have to check out Tiny Habits, Austin. I have so many books sitting around to read now though, both paper and on my kindle. I try to read a bit of something every night, but I admit I'm more enthusiastic about entertainment reading. A good novel will keep me up way past my bedtime.

With all the chaos this week I'm not as on plan as I would like, but it's not crazy.

B - Evolve plant protein drink
    L - Frozen vegan pad thai
    S - a few pretzels
    D - will be a big ol' salad, some baked tofu

I have some lovely looking beet greens from my salad prepping friend so I think I'll give them a quick water saute and have those for breakfast.
  • magic71755
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Good afternoon, my dear plant pals!

Well, my weekend is winding down...think of Sunday later afternoon when you were school age and that OH NO, back to school tomorrow. Boo Hoo!

I figured out my oats...no overnight, too slimy. Do the hour before, but cold milk and frozen berries...and add salt...that is the key. NOW, so much more flavor. Before, dull. Now, yum!

I picked up the book on audible, Austin. Will listen to at work tomorrow, when things have quieted down in late afternoon. Good way to tune out any drama. I don't anticipate any with my pal...I think we have figured that out. But there are others that like to drain me of my spirit with their negative attitude.

It was an oatmeal breakfast, potatoes and spinach lunch and tonight, loads of broccoli and jasmine rice with a side of vegan kimchi. Isn't fermented food supposed to be good for gut microbiome.

Oh, I have a Kite Hill peach yogurt. I really miss my Fage...hope this help fill the void.

Later, mates. Have a peaceful evening.

• Mihani
    Options
    Quick hello! Home early to take pup to the vet. Heading to office both Sat and Sun because I can't get to anything in my home office. A little better ETL kind of day...

B - oats with the usual additions
    L - Dr. McD miso ramen, a few pretzels, an apple
    D - will be baked tofu, sauteed beet greens, salad with ginger miso dressing

Better keep moving!!!

Magic, hope all went well at work!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday, plant-based friends! I am having a good plant-based eating day today.

@magic71755 - Glad you found morning oats that work for you! I am with you and @Mihani in liking some chew to my oats. Overnight oats produces a texture that doesn't work for me (though I know some love it).

@Mihani - I hope that you get through the "this sucks" period in your remodeling fairly soon!
    I also love fiction occasionally, so if you come across a great read, I'd love to hear about it.

Okay, off to work on a project I am behind on!