How is everyone doing with the coronavirus around

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    There are people reselling toilet paper out of their cars in the parking lots of some of the stores that are out...I can only assume it's the hoarders trying to turn the pandemic into a quick buck...makes me want to punch them in the nose...people...some are amazing, some are just turds...

Try to get someone to film you throwing the punch. :) I bet some that were not in the habit of keeping a 100 rolls of TP all the time may rethink the difference between preparing for six months without shopping and hoarding.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    My house has never been so clean and organized! Fiancee painted the hall way, bedroom accent wall, all the trims around the house, new storm door installed, front door painted, backyard manicured etc. etc. Our closet has been cleaned out, swapped winter clothes to spring and summer. Got few bags to charity. Pantry, fridge is konmari-ed. Kids happy with earlier dinner as I am not running back from work and scrambling.
    As long as we STAY HOME and ride this out, I'm doing good. 3 more weeks... (in Ohio)
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    @supergal3, I know what you mean! But it's a self satisfactions kinda thing. No one looks in my closet or pantry but family. So the act of "Doing" what was on the back burner feels good. I mean, after all, I never got to it cuz I didn't have time! lol- no excuses :D
  • GaleHawkins
    The storms have moved out and we some beautiful but cool weather. Learning the deaths from COVID-19 seem to be more autoimmune related instead of pneumonia was helpful since I have been studying a lifetime about how to live with autoimmune related health issues. Learning the virus seems to have been active from last fall in China and CA explains a lot of things. Starting to understand what is happening and why is helpful but the death and damaged health of the world is hard to except. Knowing your own death may only be 30-90 days away changes the importance of a lot of things. Living rural and few movement restrictions with Spring weather lifts the spirits and all of the family is doing well at this point. Be careful masked friends.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    The stores here have started implementing one-way shopping aisles and that makes it absolutely hellish for me as I can only walk limited distances. Typically I only walk down an isle far enough to get what I need and I only walk down the isles containing the items I need. I never ever walk the entire store. So I guess I'll be either sending others to the store or using one of their scooters until all this blows over.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    In Colorado we are asked to stay at home. We have ordered groceries on line mainly and DH did a couple of pick up orders from our normal grocery. We are both high risk but have stayed at home except for daily walking to the park. We see more of our neighbors these days than ever before, but everyone is physically distancing and/or wearing masks now. No one we are communicating with has gotten sick and I hope it stays that way. Oh and our area is doing the howling at the moon thing in appreciation of all the front line workers in this pandemic. Our state cases started early March and the governor has done a great job of managing things and letting people know what is going on. We think we hit our pick no. of cases a few days ago, but a few deaths are occurring, and not just those over 65, the ski resorts was our epicenter, so some late 20s-30 year olds have had bad cases or died here.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited April 2020
    I read yesterday where people are not to wear mask if we are well so mass mask confusion?

https://sciencealert.com/this-is-why-advice-on-whether-you-should-wear-a-mask-is-just-so-confusing

What has boggled my mind that so many can have COVID-19 and never know it but 80% that have to go on a ventilator never come off of it alive. Below they are talking about the "storm" and a possible genetic defect.

https://knowablemagazine.org/article/health-disease/2020/what-cytokine-storm

This is not the first time a cytokine storm has been linked to a pandemic. Scientists suspect that cytokine storms caused many of the fatalities in the 1918 flu pandemic and the 2003 outbreak of SARS, a virus related to the one that causes Covid-19.

“ Covid is — maybe — a relatively unique cytokine storm. It seems to happen quickly with this virus. ”

RANDY CRON
    More recently, Cron and colleagues analyzed 16 fatal cases, from between 2009 and 2014, of the pandemic H1N1 “swine” flu — a novel influenza virus that emerged in 2009 and has since become a fixture during flu season. Up to four-fifths of those patients met standard criteria for a cytokine storm. In addition, several had genetic variants that might have made their immune systems more likely to overreact.

Two patients, for example, had mutations in the PRF1 gene, which makes a protein called perforin.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Not doing to well as of late but trying my best to get back on the low carb train. It's been a real struggle.
  • vkrenz
    vkrenz Posts: 183 Member
    @rjan91, hang in there! Don't get too hard on yourself with low carb right now. It has been a challenge to find food in the grocery store. Our stress levels have all been elevated too during this pandemic which is causing us to be more hungry and give up on determination faster. Do what you can with what you have, we find ourselves all in this together. :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm hanging in there. My work load probably doubled (taking classes online, office hours online, managing my department etc.), and not exercising enough. But that's all improving.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Southern CA

Work - OK. We all had salary cuts, but I'm still employed/insured.

Health - Staying as active as possible. Higher carbs than normal due to scarcity and buying limits on meat/dairy/veg. But everything we're eating is 100% from scratch and we haven't gone down the oreo/dorito pit I've heard so many are.

Emotional - Pretty good. I've had stressed moments when it all started because I wasn't sure what it would mean for my company (all of our showrooms had to close) and my job. But now that I've had the answer - even though it's not great - I can move forward. I've also had a couple breakdowns as some CA hospitals aren't allowing husbands with laboring wives and the women have to labor alone and with face masks on. One hospital near me (but not my delivering hospital) is allowing husbands to be there for the birth but then they have to leave an hour or two later. I've made my peace with the fact that our kids and parents will have to wait to meet this baby...but I really don't want to do this alone. At least it's our third, so I know what to expect.

Family - Excellent. The kids were already homeschooled and we do better the more we're together, so this has been a lovely time family wise.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    yudi01ux7sfw.jpg
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    I read yesterday where people are not to wear mask if we are well so mass mask confusion?

https://sciencealert.com/this-is-why-advice-on-whether-you-should-wear-a-mask-is-just-so-confusing

What has boggled my mind that so many can have COVID-19 and never know it but 80% that have to go on a ventilator never come off of it alive. Below they are talking about the "storm" and a possible genetic defect.

https://knowablemagazine.org/article/health-disease/2020/what-cytokine-storm

This is not the first time a cytokine storm has been linked to a pandemic. Scientists suspect that cytokine storms caused many of the fatalities in the 1918 flu pandemic and the 2003 outbreak of SARS, a virus related to the one that causes Covid-19.

“ Covid is — maybe — a relatively unique cytokine storm. It seems to happen quickly with this virus. ”

RANDY CRON
    More recently, Cron and colleagues analyzed 16 fatal cases, from between 2009 and 2014, of the pandemic H1N1 “swine” flu — a novel influenza virus that emerged in 2009 and has since become a fixture during flu season. Up to four-fifths of those patients met standard criteria for a cytokine storm. In addition, several had genetic variants that might have made their immune systems more likely to overreact.

Two patients, for example, had mutations in the PRF1 gene, which makes a protein called perforin.

The magazine link wasn't working but I found this article informative.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/07/828091467/why-some-covid-19-patients-crash-the-bodys-immune-system-might-be-to-blame

I had already heard that when you have a fever do not take the anti inflammatory OTC meds. So if I do get a fever and other symptoms I will stick to lots of fluids for the fever.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I miss farmers markets and fresh produce...the shopping less frequently means we only have fresh stuff about half the time...frozen is ok, but not the same...I'm trying to find a local place that will deliver produce and I might have found one, but I need to do some more research to figure out how to order and when.

Meats are becoming increasingly scarce but at least so far I can find something, even if it isn't always what I really want. I can live with that.

I'm looking forward to getting garden plants in since we are now past the risk of frost, and super looking forward to fresh from my garden veggies this summer!!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    On day 31 on the truck, long haul trucking through Canada and the USA, with my partner. My daughter and her boyfriend live at home, and we are all trying to stay healthy, so we will not be going home until we need to. Normally we would be home once per month, to relax, shop for supplies and do laundry and errands. But during this pandemic, we are keeping our distance from everyone.

It has been very difficult to get supplies, even before restrictions were imposed where I live. I was afraid to have to go to work without having secured supplies of hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, etc. But we did go to work without them, and took our chances. Not much we could do, since everywhere we looked prior to leaving home, and everywhere we look on the road, are all sold out.

We don’t have the luxury of being able to get groceries regularly, due to driving a 73 foot vehicle, and having to be able to park. Truck stops generally don’t sell too much fresh food, so we have given up on low carb for now, just to survive. Restaurants are closed, and we can’t always get takeout as a truck driver. I was able to get some fresh meat and vegetables on the weekend, and I cooked in the truck for our Easter dinner. We eat meals prepared in the truck for the most part.

I think in our profession, we are accustomed to spending long periods of time away from family and friends, so we might have an advantage there. We now limit our time out of the truck to loading, unloading, fuelling and showering, with sporadic trips for food or to do laundry. There is no mingling with other drivers or coworkers, or conversations with people you meet along the way. We do our work, and we go back into the truck.

So far, we are OK. I did go through a little period where I was feeling upset that we couldn’t get supplies to keep us safe, while we are assuming risk on the job. I envied the regular citizens, who would be able to come back the next day to try again to purchase supplies. Truck drivers are transporting everything that consumers and businesses need, but have even less access to necessities like food, water, hygiene, safety and comfort. Well, that whining didn’t last long. I am happy to be working and contributing. We will all get through this.

We may spend another month or two at work trucking before we take some time off. When we do, we will take at least two weeks off, maybe three. I’ll be really anxious for some fresh food by then!

Thank you for your dedicated work!!! :heart: We couldn't make it without trucker drivers ffs. I hope things improve for you soon.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Thanks a lot @baconslave ! It’s true, everything comes by truck....someone waved to me as I drove the other day, and it gave me a tear in my eye. Truck drivers are a bit more visible today... and grocery store workers etc.

I do hope people remember all this after this madness is finally over. I've always remembered to be kind to cashiers and such, as I was once a cashier myself. They are human beings and deserve basic respect and appreciation. I also have family members who drive trucks. Thankless jobs sometimes. I will remember. I'll make sure my kids at least leave my home knowing this. You all made sure we were fed and had essential supplies while working yourselves so hard and doing without and putting yourselves in the virus's path. :heart: