WAISTAWAYS Team Chat - MAY 2020

Options
Cafelelia
Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
ihv104bbi3m0.jpeg
Welcome Fat2Fit Challengers!

Here is your Team chat room for May 2020. This is where you weigh in every week, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post every day, and help each other succeed!

We have six great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows:
Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Beka - @beka3695
Lisa - @cafelelia
Teresa - @TeresaW1020

Our Team Captains:
Mission Slimpossibles - @broncobuddee and @TeresaW1020
Trimstones - @mulecanter and @jessicakrall8
Weight No More - @sleepymom5 and @cafelelia
Waist Aways - @jugar and @micki48
Shrinking Assets - @Boehle and @beka3695
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and @mari_moulin

Our Team Motivators:
Mission Slimpossibles - @AustinRuadhain @katmary71 and @raleighgirl09
Trimstones - @Angmarie28
Weight No More - open
Waist Aways - @Terytha and @conleywoods
Shrinking Assets - @TheMrWobbly (Fitness Captain)
Downsizers - @UTMom81 and @Kres567

HOW IT ALL WORKS:
Every challenger weighs in on their chosen day, every week without fail! At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win!

We also track those small, steady losses with the Green Week count. If you lose, however small an amount, it counts for 1 week in the green. The total will be by month, and cumulative - so you can really rack them up and get to your goal even if you never hit the top of the leader board.

If you need a week off, a break, a change of weigh-in day - just ask your Captain here on your team chat page. If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to ask if you are travelling, sick, or just needing some time off.

In addition to your own team, there are F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the new month begin!!

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,043 Member
    Options
    Welcome WaistAways, both returning and new. This will be our home for May, where all of our triumphs and challenges take place. Please introduce yourselves and set some goals for the month. We have seven new members and two coming back after a break so everyone should be sure to put in a good intro so we all know each other at least a bit!

I am Liselyn, co-captain along with @micki48. I live in rural Québec, about 85 miles east of Montreal, and I'm a retired university professor of music. I haven't retired from being a musician, but these days the performance opportunities are zero! I still have a few projects in the fire... My weight loss story? After being somewhat overweight for most of my life, I really packed on quite a lot in my 50s while in an admin job at the university that involved a lot of sitting, meetings, travel, and meals. I tried many times to lose, but it was not until I was 58 that I got really serious with both food and exercise, and lost 40 pounds. I have been in a good zone for 8 years now, always refining and figuring out the things that work best, and making sure I don't have to do it all over again. Yes, it is possible to lose weight and get in shape during and after menopause!

I know there are people on this team who have a lot to lose, others who have lost a lot and are closing in on their goals, and others who are working on smaller losses that are stubbornly resisting. There is a lot of wisdom here, and I think the most important lesson we learn from each other time and time again is that it is not a straight shot, there will be trials and errors, but sticking with it when it feels like you have fallen off yet again is the best thing you can do for yourself. Plateaus can be good, but going back the way you came is not!

Some helpful information/tools:
    Posting your daily updates
    We know from hard experience that posting daily (or as often as you can!) makes a big difference to your success. Use any format you like to let everyone know how you are doing on your daily goals and habits. You can report on food (did you log? did you stick with your plan? are there problems?), exercise (how many minutes of what exercise, how many steps, etc.), water, sleep, or whatever you are tracking and trying to stick with. While you're there, talk about how you are doing, if you have any questions, ask away, and if you can answer someone else, please do! You can congratulate others, commiserate, enjoy someone's rant, or go ahead and rant yourself. It all helps make the kind of community where we are in each others' heads when the hand is reaching for that off-plan snack, or the couch is feeling way too inviting...

Weighing in
    Please try to weigh in on time! First thing in the morning is a great time, on the day you have chosen. Put your weigh in at the TOP of a message, so it is clear and easy to find. To make your week's progress clear, put your PW (previous weight) from the week before if you remember it, and then your CW current weight. If you cannot post your weight for whatever reason, please request a week off, or if you need a longer break, you can request to move to the "Support Team" where you can still participate but your weigh-ins will not be part of the weekly tally. This is where members who are maintaining, ill, on vacation, or just needing a break can hang out for as long as needed.

Step and Exercise Team
    @micki48 will tell you more about this! Anyone can join the team to track daily steps, or **NEW** minutes of intentional exercise. The exercise minutes will be "translated" to steps so we can all compare on the same unit. Post here if you want to take part!

Habit Tracker
    F2F has its own monthly habit tracker. Go to the F2F home page https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group
    and down to the Announcements section. The link to the May Habit Tracker will be there. On the spreadsheet, find WaistAways on the bottom, click that tab, add your name and the habits you want to track daily. Then let the green check marks grow!

Other useful tools
    The F2F home page also has links to our full group challenges, fitness tracker connections, and general guidelines (all under Announcements).

You can access the spreadsheets with everyone's weekly weigh-in, green week tracking (# of weeks your weight was "in the green" - a loss of any size), names and locations. Again, go to the tabs at the bottom, find WaistAways, and in there all the information is there. The names and locations of those who have shared that information are to the extreme right, after the green week tracking. Feel free to check and make sure no mistakes have been made in your weigh-ins! You cannot edit, but if you see a problem, just let me know.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Michele and I am a co-captain with @jugar. I live North Carolina now, but spent most of my life in New Jersey. Yes, I will always be a Jersey Girl! I am the mother of two grown children, a daughter - 32 and a son - 28. I’m also the proud Mom Mom of one adorable granddaughter who just turned 2. When we are not having a pandemic, I watch her every day and she keeps me moving. Before that, I was an elementary school teacher for over 20 years.

I have been part of this group since February 2019. I have lost over 10% of my starting body weight and keep gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds over the last two crazy months. I am a slow loser, but more importantly, I have persisted and continue on for the first time in my life. I have had two long plateaus and I can tell you, there is something to learn from losing and plateauing. Being part of this group has given me the motivation and support to keep going.

This past year, with the Waistaways, I was able to keep my commitment to fitness and health. In January, I set a goal to make exercise a habit and committed to 10 minutes a day. This month, I am raising that to at least 15 minutes. I love to work in my garden, do Pilates, and walk. I love playing tennis, but haven't for quite a while. I hope to find new courts. I also try to get, at least, 8,500 steps a day.

AND speaking of steps...

We have a Step Challenge here on Waistaways and we'd love to have you participate. We set our own daily goal and report steps daily or at the end of the week. Your choice. Checking in with your steps is motivating for everyone. At the end of the week, I will post the results of the step challenge with our total steps and the top three steppers. This month we will add another part to the challenge. @jugar has found a way to count all of our exercise toward steps by converting exercise minutes to steps, then we will combine it all to report results. I hope that makes sense as it is getting late and I'm tired. If you would like to join us, let me know.

So glad to have so many new members and happy to continue with an amazing group of people here on Team Waistaways. You're going to like it here.
  • jugar
    Options
    Thanks for getting us started on posting goals @CanadianGiraffe ! Yours are specific, totally doable, and involve the outdoors - excellent :smiley:
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @jguldi11 Got you. Welcome! Great steps for 5/1. Official start for step challenge will be Sunday.

You can check the spreadsheet whenever you’d like by going to the spreadsheet for May, click Waistaways and scroll down to the bottom. I will double check that for you. I think that’s it.

Or click here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SWPTsxrBnvzgVdJI3vSBU2dELs6Y56G8WNf71vO4e2k/htmlview#
  • jugar
    Options
    Well - this is not a good start...maybe should have waited till next month to return...

Sorry - I had a horrible gallstone attack that started 10 days ago now. Doc is talking surgery but were waiting on the ultrasound and blood results!!!

Oh no!!! Keep us posted, and I hope it all just goes away. But if you need surgery, it is amazingly helpful quite quickly. I know a few people who had to do that, and the difference was fantastic afterwards. Hugs!!!!
  • justinb_83
    justinb_83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    fogminì

PW - 254.4
    CW - 250.8

Daily Goals: Excercise for 30 minutes and drink one gallon of water a day.
  • Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Stephanie. I am currently living in the tiny country of Luxembourg for my husband's work but from the United States. I'm currently a stay at home mom. I'm here because I want to stay focused on healthy habits and working to loose about 15 more pounds. I am pretty active and love running, cycling and getting outdoors.

My goals for May
    1. Log my foods everyday prior to eating them.
    2. Drink 2L of water daily.
    3. Dance everyday.

@Micki48 please keep me on the step challenge for May.
  • jugar
    Options
    justinb_83 wrote: »
    fogminì

PW - 254.4
    CW - 250.8

Great week! What a way to start :smiley: A gallon of water is a LOT - but give it a try! And the exercise will build muscle, and you might see less of a loss than seems like it makes sense for a bit. Muscle weighs more than fat, and it holds more water, so don't get discouraged if the scale seems like it has gone off its rocker for a bit!

I take it your user name has changed from @fogmini to @justinb_83 ?
  • jugar
    Options
    Welcome to the first official day of our May challenge! I just finished all the tallies for Week 5 and the full month of April. We did not have a great month, but that should inspire us to pull up our socks and do better in May!

Our top 3 losers for Week 5:
    @Gidgitgoescrazy
    @Terytha
    @micki48

Rock those tiaras, you three!!!

And for the full month of April:
    @Terytha
    @eggfreak
    @matthewsfive
    Well done! You get the super tiaras, the spandex costumes, whatever floats your boats!

One thing we did NOT succeed at was getting every week in the green, no matter how small the losses. No one made it to 5 weeks green, but there were two with 4 out of the 5. All green. All losses. WTG:
    @Terytha
    @micki48

Time to join that league, OK? Tortoises unite! It does not matter if you lose the largest amount and hit the F2F top 3. It matters that you are consistent and don't slip back. Let's all aim for that this month! Maintainers? Maintain, ok? You get to stay in the black instead of the green!

New people - if you're wondering why a post might be flagged "insightful" - that is the one we use when we enter something in the spreadsheet (your weigh-in or your steps/exercise). Now you know! Any other questions?
  • justinb_83
    justinb_83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    justinb_83 wrote: »
    fogminì

PW - 254.4
    CW - 250.8

Great week! What a way to start :smiley: A gallon of water is a LOT - but give it a try! And the exercise will build muscle, and you might see less of a loss than seems like it makes sense for a bit. Muscle weighs more than fat, and it holds more water, so don't get discouraged if the scale seems like it has gone off its rocker for a bit!

I take it your user name has changed from @fogmini to @justinb_83 ?

Yes, my username has changed. I have been at a gallon and half of water for the past few days. It seems like I am always thirsty and craving water. I appreciate the encouragement and advice. Here is to a great month!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kristi and I am 37, married to my wonderful husband of 12 years and have 3 kids age 10, 9 and 5. I live in Washington state and work 4 days a week as a school occupational therapist. I'm currently working from home now. I started my weight loss journey in February 2019 at 255 and currently am down to 219! Wahoo. I like hiking and outdoor activities. I like to cook and be creative.

May goals:
    I always stay in my calories but I frequently eat a lot of my exercise calories. I want to not eat my exercise calories 2 days a week. I want to grow this number to 5 days a week by the end of the month.

Habits to maintain:
    Logging daily
    Drinking water
    Exercise most days of the week
    Eating plentiful vegetables
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    April was a tough, tough month. But it's over! Let's all look forward to May.

My biggest lesson to learn in all this has been the importance of baby steps. It's OK to go slow, it's OK to make tiny changes instead of big ones, and doing so builds into huge things over time. A snowball effect.

So here's a challenge for everyone: Name one thing you did well in April, and one thing you plan to improve on for May. No cop outs either: I know you ALL did at least one thing in April that you can feel good about.

One thing I did well: Walking! We've been going out for short walks in the sunshine when there's sunshine to walk in. I feel like the warmth and vitamin D has really improved my blues.

One thing to improve on: Gotta stop nibbling. I bought a giant tub of chocolate mint patties from Costco on a bad day. They are only 30 calories each but that adds up when I grab one every time I'm in the kitchen.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Are you ready to jump-start your health and fitness journey?

Join our Fat2Fit May Challenge TODAY!! In this challenge, you will learn the importance of how it's the tiny habits that we do every day that add up to create the big changes we want in our life.

:star: Click the link to get started! Tiny Habit May Challenge
    :star:

9mxipwytro3j.jpg
  • jugar
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    April was a tough, tough month. But it's over! Let's all look forward to May.

My biggest lesson to learn in all this has been the importance of baby steps. It's OK to go slow, it's OK to make tiny changes instead of big ones, and doing so builds into huge things over time. A snowball effect.

So here's a challenge for everyone: Name one thing you did well in April, and one thing you plan to improve on for May. No cop outs either: I know you ALL did at least one thing in April that you can feel good about.

One thing I did well: Walking! We've been going out for short walks in the sunshine when there's sunshine to walk in. I feel like the warmth and vitamin D has really improved my blues.

One thing to improve on: Gotta stop nibbling. I bought a giant tub of chocolate mint patties from Costco on a bad day. They are only 30 calories each but that adds up when I grab one every time I'm in the kitchen.

Talk about "great minds think alike"! @Terytha - your challenge to get at those baby steps and the new month challenge for tiny habits are both brilliant and come at a perfect time. I hope that everyone gets into the tiny habit habit - the method proposed there works really well. Follow that link!

But a great first step is this challenge from @Terytha. It this is an effective way to identify at least one of your tiny habits for the month. Or it can also identify something you want to stop doing!

Mine?
    One thing I did well in April: I decided that losing the last 5 pounds I was aiming for was a BAD idea. I was feeling a bit feeble, my blood pressure was super low, and I just had no get-up-and-go. At all. So I will maintain at 115 (I'm only 5'1"...). I feel better already!
    One thing to improve on in May: The problem with deciding to maintain is that I'm sloppy about snacks!! Eating with no calorie deficit (calories in = calories out) still requires some attention and not just a YAY I'M FREE attitude. I have been snacking much more than before, so I want to limit to once a day, and all pre-logged.
  • jugar
    Options
    By the way!

Weigh-ins are due today:

@Andreabroadley
    @deniners2
    @graceojo999
    @jguldi11
    @alexsandramorff

I know it is weird for those of you who have just started, but hopefully the starting weight that you submitted was from last Sunday!
This discussion has been closed.