WAISTAWAYS Team Chat - MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday everyone! I found an article this weekend about setting small goals while everything is a little wacky: https://www.self.com/story/things-to-look-forward-to
    This helped me think of the things that I enjoy and scheduling time for that enjoyment - even when there’s not much else on the schedule. It helps to have the anticipation for an upcoming event. Personally I scheduled a farkle dice 🎲 game with my aunts and cousins from around the US for this Thursday. Fun to look forward!
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Happy Cinco De Mayo, and taco tuesday !

Tacos are on the menu for us this evening, but I do mine as a salad without the chips and 96% lean beef, so it's not much on calories, I'm more about the salsa, I love salsa, I could just eat that and the beef and be a happy girl...

So yesterday was a bust, kinda sorta so it was jog run day with the doggo, well doggo wasn't into it, because he acted like a pure jerk the entire time, so I cut his walk/jog short and took him home and had a chat with him about about he acted, so maybe next time he will make better choices, I do not think it actually worked, or made a difference to him, but it made me feel better....

I then got on the treadmill to atleast try to finish my walk jog, it's only 20 minutes and I got about 5 with the dog, so I managed my 15 minutes, but it wasn't great, I finally got walking on the treadmill, but now jogging is a new thing, I feel unsteady on it, so there was lots of bar holding, I will get better just like I did with walking, then I did 30 min of Yoga and all was better... SO it wasn't a complete bust, just a little frustrating...

My steps weren't great, I think the bar holding had alot to do with that, and I was stuck at my desk all day... so steps for 5/4 were = 4632

I did my 2 mile walk before work this morning, and already beat my total steps for yesterday ! lol.... I have 2 guys here cleaning out our back storage room and they are loud and annoying, so I think I will also get an unscheduled walk in later this morning, since I remembered my phone and headphones today ! :)

Okay that is all... Hope you have a fabulous day, and kick some butt today !

A dream becomes a goal when action is taken towards it's achievement...
    (that was the quote for the day in my new planner, I'm going to share it with you guys daily)
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,086 Member
    Options
    Happy "is it Tuesday already?" everyone!

Thanks for the great morning reading - I love hearing the how-I-got-here histories, and what works for different people. I had an experience very much like Sylvia @eggfreak where finally just measuring and counting worked, and the really good exercise to build muscle (in order to burn more calories!) came along a bit later and made it all easier to maintain. I also like eating a bit more :smiley: so keeping the muscle has become dear to my heart stomach.

It is snowing here this morning. A while back I would have been doing my happy dance to see that but NOT TODAY! I think I need more coffee. Have a great day everyone!

There are no Tuesday weigh-ins. For some reason, WaistAways have Tuesday as a day of quiet on that front. It gives the Monday people a chance to catch up! Still missing @alexsandramorff . I know you just started, but Monday is your day, so please update! Thanks :heart:
  • jugar
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Oh!
    I forgot a reminder. While @micki48 is keeping off the screen as much as possible to help her sore head feel better, I'm trying to get the STEP/EXERCISE team list going and track everything.

Please let me know if you want to be on it, and report your steps and/or minutes of exercise (and what the exercise is) here. For example, yesterday I had 9,166 steps plus 45 minutes of exercise bike, which is translated as 9,000 steps (200 per minute, at 13.5 mph average). Let's get tracking! Send in steps and minutes, and I'll do the conversion according to this chart:
    https://www.arhs-nc.org/live-healthy/data/StepConversionChart.pdf
    :smile:
  • jugar
    Options
    Happy Cinco De Mayo, and taco tuesday !
    So yesterday was a bust, kinda sorta so it was jog run day with the doggo, well doggo wasn't into it, because he acted like a pure jerk the entire time, so I cut his walk/jog short and took him home and had a chat with him about about he acted, so maybe next time he will make better choices, I do not think it actually worked, or made a difference to him, but it made me feel better....

I then got on the treadmill to atleast try to finish my walk jog, it's only 20 minutes and I got about 5 with the dog, so I managed my 15 minutes, but it wasn't great, I finally got walking on the treadmill, but now jogging is a new thing, I feel unsteady on it, so there was lots of bar holding, I will get better just like I did with walking, then I did 30 min of Yoga and all was better... SO it wasn't a complete bust, just a little frustrating...

A dream becomes a goal when action is taken towards it's achievement...
    Only kinda sorta! Your day totalled to 7,632 with the 30 minutes walking and 30 minutes yoga - so yesterday wasn't a total bust at all. But today is going to kick it into the gutter!

Dogs. Usually they make a walk great, but sometimes you just have to send them to the doghouse...
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday everyone! And welcome to this month's newcomers!

My name is Yinka and I am 56 years old, married, with a grown son who lives in Virginia US with his wife. I live with my husband and our little contrary dog called Edie in Bewdley, a lovely Georgian market town in Worcestershire UK.

I am an online English language teacher who has been using this enforced lockdown time to Mari-Kondo select parts of my house. I am blessed to live on the outskirts of the Wyre Forest so beautiful walks with the pooch are all around us!

I have been on this weight loss journey for the past 15 years or so and have been with MFP since 2014. I know that most of the work has to come from diet, but this has always been a weak point for me. I don't have a problem exercising and workout 5 times a week for at least 30 minutes. However, my steps could definitely be improved, as could my water intake.

I would like to lose 40lb and I know that it can be done - I just need to get on and do it! I have just started a course on nutrition so I am hoping that it will help to keep me mindful of the choices I make.

So that's a teacup's-worth of my life story. Enjoy the rest of your day,
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    @jugar Steps for yesterday (4th May) were 6376 and TODAY'S exercises were Day 16 of the SELF Spring 2020 Challenge which was another 30 minutes of Cardio Abs circuit training : 5 rounds of 1 minute each Skaters, Standing obliques crunch (right), Standing obliques crunch (left), Plank to downward dog tap and Froggers.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    Doc prescribed CBD oil for backpain today.. We will see how that goes!
  • deniners2
    deniners2 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Watch out guys, I'm posting!

I read all the May posts this morning while on the exercise bike, so I didn't go as fast as usual. I had zero idea @Terytha asked us to do good/bad, positive/negative for this month. It just seemed the right thing to do to start off the month.

I'm curious @RaisedToRamble, where do you live? The landscape in your pic seems SW. I'm in NM.

@Gidgitgoescrazy, I put all my goods in a bowl, and I call it nachos. It depends on what I have, but it could be chicken, beef, soy chorizo (from Trader Joe's), black/pinto beans, diced tomatoes, cheese, potatoes, peppers, onion, salsa, red chile. Then the chips! My downfall. Just dip, and every bite is yummy. Ahem! Sorry guys! This is a weight loss group. Funny those silly groups for people who actually want to GAIN weight... I indulge in full nachos on my days off because I will run or workout harder than during the week.

@YinxFed & @Steph1498, I'd love to visit your locations! Too bad about this virus thing and the price of plane tickets.

I want to encourage @CanadianGiraffe, @MoStacy , @eggfreak because I understand your current numbers. I am right below @Andreabroadley. I totally understand what @eggfreak means by "the elusive mysterious ingredient I needed to knuckle down and care kicked in." Every once in a while it kicks in for me, but I wish it stayed longer than 1 week to 1 year.

I want to get closer to @reflectionofme, but I would be satisfied to maintain 140 for the rest of life.

Happy Tuesday everyone! Thanks for the encouragement!
  • SMcFall0215
    SMcFall0215 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday everyone!!! I challenged myself to 60 miles this month and I’m on a NO SWEETS week!! For some it may not be a lot. I was running a lot more but fell Into a slump about a year and a half ago and quit running.. so time to get back into it. I did a 5k on my treadmill today it was interval training and hills. We won’t speak of the time it took hahaha but I got it done and with that I have 10 down 50 more to go!! To the second part of that, we are 5 days in and I haven’t touched a sweet yet either!!! Wooohooo. I really have struggled to get through these 5 days with no sweets so far but I’m going to keep on pushing through and celebrate my small victories.
  • jugar
    Options
    @Terytha - it is so hard not to shop when you're getting there, making progress, and feeling it. But 30 more pounds and you will enjoy it even more! For now, buy yourself a couple of gorgeous belts that fit, but still have enough holes to make it down to your goal size. They will hold up the too-big clothes, be ready for the final size, and look fantastic!

@Andreabroadley - I hope the CBD oil helps. If you can do glute bridges (aka hip bridges) nice and slow and really engaging the abs, that might help too. Keep us posted on the oil results though - I've been curious about that stuff.

@deniners2 - I like the sound of your bowls of chaos that you then call nachos! The best recipes are like that - you can mix it up and it is always good. You'll sure need a few days of running after those, though!

@SMcFall0215 - 60 miles and no sweets - THAT is sweet! Every day determination - if you're ever feeling like you might slip, get on in here right away! Message your teammates who are MFP friends, or just have a good rant about how horrible it all is, and then get right back out there and don't touch the sweets. Only 25 more days! You can do anything for 25 days, right? :wink:
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    @Andreabroadley I have used CBD oil at my massage therapist and it does help with the soreness. I also have a CBD oil from Farmhouse Fresh that I like too. I wouldn't say it's a miracle but it definitely makes a difference.

@terytha I know a lot of people like to wait to shop until they hit those big goals but I see benefits of having things that make me feel great now. If having a few new amazing things makes you feel great and gives you the boost to take it to the next level, go for it. I like to sort my closet to help me decide what pieces are the most critical to add. Think capsule closet where things mix and match and add a special something for pizzazz!
  • jugar
    edited May 2020
    Options
    HEADS UP!

Wednesday weigh-ins:
    @offitgoes
    @evelynladams527
    @fourathomej

Late:
    @Alexsandramorff I hope you find your way here! @graceojo999 ? Maybe you can help with a reminder? :heart:

We like all the weigh-ins. The good, the bad, the meh. Send 'em on in!
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,204 Member
    Options
    So am feeling a bit better today - at least I'm not flat out anymore .

So they have classified it as a chronic condition, I guess there is immense scaring around my gallbladder...so it must come out!!
    I am actually fine with it...to not have to deal with all of this again will be a blessing.
    I guess it has also put my liver and pancreas in acute distress...so uuuhhhggg all around.

Time to catch up a bit. I feel so behind...just realized that Sunday is Mothers Day...lol Forgot it was even May!! :(
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    jguldi11 wrote: »
    @micki48 I hope your head is feeling better soon! Had a concussion once and it was terrible.
    My steps for 5/4: 8,104. So far looking good for me to up my daily step goal 😊

Thank you. It’s slow going and up and down. Can’t wait to feel myself again.

Hope your day went well at work and your lunch was delicious.
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    @Fourathomej I had my gallbladder out in December and it wasn't too bad of a recovery. Hope you don't have to wait too long for surgery.

@micki48 Thinking of you and hope you start to feel better. I miss hearing from you!

@jugar So sorry you have snow. Isn't it funny how snow can be so exciting one minute and the next minute it's completely repulsive!

@YinxFed I'm excited to hear if you pick up any interesting tidbits in your nutrition class! If they recommend any good books, I would love to hear what they are.

@SMcFall0215 oh what good work on the sweets. I am always sneaking in sweets at some point in the day. Good for you. It's a tough one!

I have been reading a book on exercise motivation called "No Sweat". So far the big take aways are:

* Pick activity you actually like
    * Break up with the idea that exercise only counts if it meets certain criteria (must be at gym, must be running, must be painful etc.)
    * Research shows that people who exercise for the joy of movement or stress reduction are more likely to exercise regularly compared to people who work out to help them lose weight.

I'm working on focusing on food for the weight loss part and shifting my thinking for exercise to strengthening and the feel good feeling.
  • CanadianGiraffe
    CanadianGiraffe Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am tired and sore tonight. Spent another 4 hours planting the garden. Probably 2 more days to go but I need it to stay warmer overnight to put in my beans and corn and tomatoes. Anyway I am feeling muscles that don't get used for much else than bending and planting! I always find this to be such a hopeful time of year - the promise of today's work turning into tomorrow's harvest. And it seems especially important this year with all the uncertainty around food supplies. I even made a batch of yogurt today - haven't done that since I was in university forty years ago.
This discussion has been closed.