Let’s Move Challenge

Options
13»

Replies

• melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I actually managed 25 minutes on the exercise bike today, a proud moment as I haven’t managed more than 15-20 minutes for absolutely ages.

Interestingly I increased my carbs this last week and seem to have more energy, I’m still low carb but higher than I was and I’m wondering if that’s helped. I need to keep It low carb because of my stomach issues but perhaps very low carb just isn’t good for me overall. I guess it’s about finding the right level to balance out the different issues.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I find I do better in maintenance with a slightly higher carb level too - not a lot (under 100) but at that level I don't even have to think about what choices I am making as I tend to choose foods that fit those goals automatically. If I go lower than about 60 I have to plan a bit better.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    How's everyone's exercise plans going now that we've hit July? I spent the last evening (Canada Day) on my feet for 7 hours working at a great music festival and fireworks. I'm a bit sore from standing walking and dancing around for so long. They have us there because the fireworks are set off directly on the edge of the roadside along the lake and there is a cordoned off area for safety that some dummies don't understand. BTW, do you know how many people want to bring their dogs to the park to watch the fireworks?! One young idiot gal was upset because she couldn't bring her new puppy. *eyerolz* She just got it and couldn't leave it alone at home yet. I told her it's kinda like having a baby.... that means you probably won't be able to run around and go all the places you used to (like taking your baby into the bar or club). I told her that being a new parent (child or animal) just meant you have to suck it up and deal.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    I’ve been slacking off a bit, had a bit of a flare up. Aiming to get back into it over the next few days. Managed to walk around a town and country fair for a few hours on Saturday and was pleased at how quickly I recovered compared to previous outings. I think my new diet and recent exercise has really helped.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I've been too busy with family issues that I haven't even had proper time to eat or sleep. Only getting about 2-4 hrs/night. Sooooo tired.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, I’ve been struggling at the moment but I’ve been allowing old eating habits to creep back in and that’s a big problem for me healthwise. Trying to get back on track. Hope things ease up for you soon.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I've still been keeping up with my approx 5 km walk on patrol nights so 3-4x/wk. Better than nothing I guess, but not on my 'exercise for enjoyment and recreation' list.... Hope everyone is hanging in there thru smoke or whatever is happening in your part of the world. I will be working a great music festival in a little over a week - Salmon Arm Roots & Blues https://rootsandblues.ca/ - looking forward especially to headliners Colin James and also The Family Stone. Annnnd, there are always surprising musicians I haven't heard of who blow me away and whose music I eagerly add to my collection. I'll be on my feet and walking/dancing (depending on whether I'm on duty at the moment) for 4 days & nights.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    I’ve started exercising again, using the stationery bike which I seem to handle reasonably well. I seem to have good eating habits going at the moment which I think really helps in the exercise department.
  • illywood
    illywood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anyone still working on 15 minutes of daily purposeful movement? I like yoga, but lately haven’t felt up to it. I did make myself get out of the house today, and we went for a hike. It was exhausting, lol. I should have stuck to yoga. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to move again.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Lots of us are still around although I haven't posted on this thread for a bit. Covid 19 and other family health issues have bitten into my exercise time and initiative. I just feel exhausted and sore these days, too much work taking care of loved ones in more fragile health than me. I have at least kept up my stretching, but I'm very flexible and that doesn't seem to ease pain for me much.
    Give yourself a bit of a break for a few days, @illywood and then you'll be able to do yoga again and maybe a bit of a hike here and there. Chin up! ;)
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    My challenge is going to be pacing myself. I have a 1500 square foot two story house interior to paint, and then we are moving the week after, and I'm the person packing 99.9% of the house. Whee!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    My favorite work/exercise doing security at music festivals has been cancelled this year due to Covid-19, and although there are online festivals, it just isn't the same dancing in your living room as it is out in the grass, under the stars, on a warm summer night with thousands of others. I'm in a fair bit of pain right now from my FM, due to stress of course -an essential worker with 3 elderly parents and an injured husband to care for. I'm managing to walk my patrols and do some other errands but I'm just way too sore to do other exercise except gentle stretches and light massage of the tender areas. Ah, well, this too shall pass.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    I’ve got into the habit of going out walking once a week, we walk round the quieter streets of our neighbourhood so it’s still a pleasant walk but not as busy as the local parks. I’m now up to a half hour walk each week which is amazing for me as I used to find walking the most painful exercise. I do use a walking stick now so maybe that’s making a difference for me.

Up until a few weeks ago I was also using the exercise bike a few times a week but I got very ill from some probiotics and so have stopped that while I recover but have kept the weekly walk. Hopefully when I’m fully recovered I can add that back in again.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @melmerritt33 did the probiotics have gluten in them as filler, by any chance? Or possibly other allergens like dairy? I know I have to get the pharmacist to phone the manufacturers of the supplements I take to be certain they don't have any dairy or gluten in them as that will set off my FM (and celiac) gut issues. Just a thought.
    Good for you on getting out for regular walks! This week I seem to be dealing with tendonitis in my hand and forearm - I'm pretty sure its from helping my husband with a medical procedure that is just awkward positioning since he broke his arm and had some major surgery on it.

@AlexandraFindsHerself1971 how did the painting go? That's a lot of hard work especially if you are doing ceilings too. My neck and shoulders ache just thinking about it.

@illywood how goes the yoga?
    Options
    The painting got done, but I worked so hard that I sustained a stress fracture in my foot, which has limited my mobility for the past week. I have touching up to do in a couple rooms where the contractors didn't get quite done in time. But overall, it's all good.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    @canadjineh That’s the most frustrating thing about the probiotics, I spent ages looking to make sure I chose one that was gluten free, dairy free etc. My body just did not like them for some reason! I’ve spent the last two weeks on a full carnivore diet and finally feel a bit better, I was even able to add a small portion of veg to my dinner last night and eat a small rice/maize snack. So far they haven’t made things worse, actually better yesterday, no evening/night runs to the bathroom!

I hope your hand and arm get better soon, keep us updated.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @melmerritt33 another friend of mine is doing a full carnivore diet to see if it helps her myriad health issues and so far it's been awesome for her. I suppose it's sort of the ultimate autoimmune protocol. I'm all for whatever it takes to feel better, especially if it can be done without adding in more drugs.
    Who knows, you may not need those specific kinds of probiotics if you aren't eating the foods they feed off of. Everyone's microbiome is very specific to them, so it certainly isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. You could always try to add in naturally fermented foods like raw sauerkraut, or kimchee, or kefir (if you can tolerate dairy.) That can help populate the gut with beneficial bacteria. The trick is not to heat those foods since that kills the good stuff.

My arm and hand is feeling better the past couple days, but hubby is now able to do a bit of his own health care while rehabbing his repaired forearm. That takes the problem of awkward positioning during my assistance out of the equation.
    The arthritis in my lumbar spine is twitchy these days - sheesh! if it's not one thing it's another, eh?

@AlexandraFindsHerself1971 how's the foot doing?
    Options
    @canadjineh: It's largely healed. Of course I have fibromyalgia so sometimes I have pain there because I once had pain there. (rolls eyes) I really look forward to getting back to the gym and moving; that seems to reset my brain's maps of my body and it doesn't default to past injuries.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    Thanks for the updates both of you. I’ve been able to introduce more normal foods into my diet this week and am feeling so much better. Unfortunately full carnivore only works short term for me, after a few weeks I lose all energy and struggle to do even basic tasks. But it did seem to reset my system so that’s good.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Hey all! Hope your Sept. has been breezing along. Lots of smoke in our area (the air quality index has been at 10+ for a couple weeks) thanks to the drift from south of our Western Canada/US border. So technically I am 'exercising' while on night patrol with a full-on N95 Particulate mask (a bit different from reg. N95's.) I notice I must walk slower just to keep comfortable and have needed my asthma puffer a few times now - usually I only need it a couple times a year. Days, I am trying to just stay in my central air conditioned (forced air thru filter furnace) home with the windows and doors closed. Stay safe!