Food, Exercise, or other Reports

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I’ve gotten some motivation from @conniewilkins56 and wanted to do some swim jogging today. Alas too much chlorine in the pool from the weekend shock. I’m going to do it as soon as the chlorine goes down! I would have never thought of it without ya!

You have to watch that @conniewilkins56, she is deviously inspiring!

Some days I wish I could heed my own advice as easily as it is to give it!...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    well, coming off diet break I already dropped back to 1.5 lbs per week so I could keep my starting deficit at 1500 before adding back in exercise calories. My biggest fear though is plateauing and then finding myself slowly regaining - so it's not even slowing down - its a fear of stopping completely before I'm ready to stop. I've been in this boat before where I've slowed down weight loss and then slowly started regaining; the 1st time I regained 85 of hte 90 lbs I lost, and while I don't think I'd go that far this time, the 2nd time I did regain around 25 - 30 lbs, and I know that's still a distinct possibility that I don't want to get into. For some stupid reason, once I plateau and start regaining, I have a devil of a time getting back in control, even though the sensible part of me is screaming the whole time. The glutton gets the reigns and it takes me forever to finally get them back and get back in control again, and that's what I'm afraid is happening. I had really, really hoped that getting my thyroid levels back down would prove to be the switch in my head, but they are still low and that switch is slowly creeping toward "off" again,a nd even though that's a warning and scaring part of me, that fear doesn't seem to be enough to give me the power to stop the slide.

and I'm so close to my 1st big goal of 220 lbs - I'm about 16 lbs away! I don't want to stop here! In fact, I don't want to stop at 220, either - I want to get back into onederland, but for right now, I'd love to be in the 220's when I see my doctor in October, and then maybe be flirting with 200 or under by my birthday next March.

And this time around, I can't even blame roommate or family for temptations beyond my strength to control, though this week that has still been partly true since I was eating at mom's this week.

You may stop before you are ready but it won't be now, it will be somewhere close to or in your "healthy" range.

Your thoughts and fears do not govern you behavior unless you allow them. You have to keep reinforcing your rational awareness.

Do the numbers support that you are nearing a prolonged period of maintenance eating that will cause a plateau?

What advice would you give someone else going through what you are going through?

You will get through this and you will inspire other people in this group in doing so. It is easy to get caught up in the flashy people who get up on a stage or in front of a camera that seem to have all the answers. They make it seem like there is an easy solution and that the struggles will end if you do X, Y, and Z. IMO, what is more meaningful is showing how to persevere through low periods or keep going after detours. Your current success is more powerful because you were not perfect.

You know those questions that ask if you could go back and time and change something what would it be? I suppose most people are tempted to alter their past. I have an understanding that the good and bad of my past is all part of the recipe for who I am today. This includes my weight loss. Sure I would like to have lost my weight earlier in life before I started having health problems and before my joints degraded this much but chances are anything that I changed would have made my situation worse. Either I would still not have lost as much or any or possibly I never would. We are a sum of our ups and downs. Your last two iterations of weight loss, plateau, and regain are part of your recipe. You might not be where you are without them.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I’ve gotten some motivation from @conniewilkins56 and wanted to do some swim jogging today. Alas too much chlorine in the pool from the weekend shock. I’m going to do it as soon as the chlorine goes down! I would have never thought of it without ya!

You have to watch that @conniewilkins56, she is deviously inspiring!

Some days I wish I could heed my own advice as easily as it is to give it!...

I know what you mean. It sucks being a fallible human.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,327 Member
    Options
    well, coming off diet break I already dropped back to 1.5 lbs per week so I could keep my starting deficit at 1500 before adding back in exercise calories. My biggest fear though is plateauing and then finding myself slowly regaining - so it's not even slowing down - its a fear of stopping completely before I'm ready to stop. I've been in this boat before where I've slowed down weight loss and then slowly started regaining; the 1st time I regained 85 of hte 90 lbs I lost, and while I don't think I'd go that far this time, the 2nd time I did regain around 25 - 30 lbs, and I know that's still a distinct possibility that I don't want to get into. For some stupid reason, once I plateau and start regaining, I have a devil of a time getting back in control, even though the sensible part of me is screaming the whole time. The glutton gets the reigns and it takes me forever to finally get them back and get back in control again, and that's what I'm afraid is happening. I had really, really hoped that getting my thyroid levels back down would prove to be the switch in my head, but they are still low and that switch is slowly creeping toward "off" again, and even though that's a warning and scaring part of me, that fear doesn't seem to be enough to give me the power to stop the slide.

and I'm so close to my 1st big goal of 220 lbs - I'm about 16 lbs away! I don't want to stop here! In fact, I don't want to stop at 220, either - I want to get back into onederland, but for right now, I'd love to be in the 220's when I see my doctor in October, and then maybe be flirting with 200 or under by my birthday next March.

And this time around, I can't even blame roommate or family for temptations beyond my strength to control, though this week that has still been partly true since I was eating at mom's this week.
    I'll share the advice I was given once when I said that I was afraid of giving up/quitting. Just tell yourself, "this is who I am now" or "this is what I do now". (It was basically the same mentality that Novus talked about in his Identity Shift post, except he takes it a bit further, to action, not just words.)

There is power in words, and in what you tell yourself. Positive self-talk can feel so cheesy, but I've really found that it helps me. In addition to those statements above, you could tell yourself, "Just because this has happened other times does not mean it will happen this time. I will stay in control." Word it however helps you address the specific fears you have. The more you say it, the more you'll believe it.

As I write this, I realize I should be doing more of this myself.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    well, coming off diet break I already dropped back to 1.5 lbs per week so I could keep my starting deficit at 1500 before adding back in exercise calories. My biggest fear though is plateauing and then finding myself slowly regaining - so it's not even slowing down - its a fear of stopping completely before I'm ready to stop. I've been in this boat before where I've slowed down weight loss and then slowly started regaining; the 1st time I regained 85 of hte 90 lbs I lost, and while I don't think I'd go that far this time, the 2nd time I did regain around 25 - 30 lbs, and I know that's still a distinct possibility that I don't want to get into. For some stupid reason, once I plateau and start regaining, I have a devil of a time getting back in control, even though the sensible part of me is screaming the whole time. The glutton gets the reigns and it takes me forever to finally get them back and get back in control again, and that's what I'm afraid is happening. I had really, really hoped that getting my thyroid levels back down would prove to be the switch in my head, but they are still low and that switch is slowly creeping toward "off" again, and even though that's a warning and scaring part of me, that fear doesn't seem to be enough to give me the power to stop the slide.

I'll share the advice I was given once when I said that I was afraid of giving up/quitting. Just tell yourself, "this is who I am now" or "this is what I do now". (It was basically the same mentality that Novus talked about in his Identity Shift post, except he takes it a bit further, to action, not just words.)

There is power in words, and in what you tell yourself. Positive self-talk can feel so cheesy, but I've really found that it helps me. In addition to those statements above, you could tell yourself, "Just because this has happened other times does not mean it will happen this time. I will stay in control." Word it however helps you address the specific fears you have. The more you say it, the more you'll believe it.

As I write this, I realize I should be doing more of this myself.

I chose 'relentless' because it has a defiant quality to it. It is a reminder to myself that not just anything can stop me this time. I might get knocked down but I will keep getting back up. I like it because it is not just my identity but my war cry/rally words. It does have power. It is who I am now.
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    So @NovusDies your song and the group song here could be the song by Chumbawamba called Tubthumping.

I get knocked down, but I get up again
    You are never gonna keep me down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 i got in the pool last night only to discover that the water is not deep enough to jog in. I tried but it was about the same as jogging out of the water on my knees. I did however decide to swim and that was a decent work out!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 i got in the pool last night only to discover that the water is not deep enough to jog in. I tried but it was about the same as jogging out of the water on my knees. I did however decide to swim and that was a decent work out!

At least you got in!...is there a deeper pool available?...yesterday I had to dodge other swimmers like an obstacle course!...only two others in the pool but they kept getting in my way!...and my granddaughter was upside down most of the time with her legs and feet in my face!
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options

At least you got in!...is there a deeper pool available?...yesterday I had to dodge other swimmers like an obstacle course!...only two others in the pool but they kept getting in my way!...and my granddaughter was upside down most of the time with her legs and feet in my face!

I work in a hospital in a state that can’t get its stuff together so our COVID cases are off the charts. I often work super late and honestly don’t feel safe going anywhere but work and home. I have a pool in my yard that I get in as often as I can. It’s 5 feet deep but I am a tall girl. I will modify the jogging to swimming. Honestly moving is moving! Lol
  • conniewilkins56
    Options

I work in a hospital in a state that can’t get its stuff together so our COVID cases are off the charts. I often work super late and honestly don’t feel safe going anywhere but work and home. I have a pool in my yard that I get in as often as I can. It’s 5 feet deep but I am a tall girl. I will modify the jogging to swimming. Honestly moving is moving! Lol

Even walking in the water uses more calories than on land and it’s easier on joints....enjoy!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    well, vacation is over, and I had a fantastic time and wished I could have stayed for another day or two!

I forgot my fitness tracker and since I had no cell coverage other than when I went down to the park office, I decided to just forgo counting all together and enjoy myself. I had taken my bathroom scale with me and that first morning, I was down about 2 lbs that I knew had been water weight and apparently stress weight.

I don't have any clue how much I ate; I know I was giving in a lot and in some cases even letting myself go so the snack food would be gone by the time I got home. I'll even man up and admit that I ate 4 mini banana moon pies in 1 day.......

What is a relief is that the damage wasn't as bad as I feared it could be; I must have been moving enough hiking up and down that mountain side to cover most of that over eating - I know one of those trails was straight up the hillside with no flat breaks at all!

And mother nature is apparently back on track this month, which would also explain some of the "EAT" push I was having last week. I'm back to counting today though if I want dinner, I'm going to have to come up with some activity since this is Sunday and Sunday diners always go over. But first, a nap!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    You'd think I'd learn not to take a Sunday afternoon nap, but it never fails that when Sunday afternoon rolls around, that I get so darn sleepy headed that I can't resist, which in turn makes it nearly impossible to fall asleep that night meaning that I don't think I got more then 3 or 4 hours of sleep last night *sigh* And lack of sleep translates to water weight gain - around 2 lbs of it. So the 2lbs of water I dropped thanks to relaxing at camp has, on Monday morning, come back. *sigh*

Anyway, I did better yesterday staying in a deficit, and hopefully today will go as well. Jiu-jitsu is tonight and hopefully I'll be moving, and I keep saying I'm going to get on the elliptical this morning, so I'd better hop to it so I can get a shower and get ready to head into the office this morning!
  • bobsburgersfan
    Options
    @bmeadows380, do you ever set an alarm for your Sunday naps? If I just let myself nap I'll sleep for 2-3 hours, so if I find myself feeling sleepy on the couch I'll often set an alarm on my phone for 1 hour, which will make me feel rested but won't mess up my sleep later.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @bobsburgersfan *sigh* I wish that worked for me! I've tried setting an alarm, but it takes me a while to get to sleep and by the time it goes off, I can't work up the willpower to make myself get up, so I usually turn it off. 1 hour isn't enough to feel rested for me; if I can make myself get up after an hour, I'm still groggy headed. I try to just not nap;sometimes I'm successful and get a walk in instead, but other times, I'm not. And yesterday was so hot by the afternoon that I couldn't walk. another thing I hate about late summer! lol

My Jiu-jitsu was canceled today, so I'll need to come up with something else to do this evening. If the rain holds off, I'll mow my grass; the height is driving me crazy!
  • bobsburgersfan
    Options
    @bmeadows380 That's a bummer. I was hoping I might be helpful; it honestly took way more years than I care to admit to figure out the alarm thing for me. :)

I hate heat, so I am extremely glad my gym has been open. I think even 80 is too hot for outdoor exercise, and that's without much humidity.
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows80 I agree on the heat thing. My dog and I are out the door at 5:30 a.m. Because I can't stand exercising in the hot sun. And we live in Colorado, where the heat is dry. We've got 100s+ coming later this week.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Oh boo hoo....it’s 111 degrees heat index here and I am actually sweating in the pool!...LOL....seriously that’s sun can sap your energy quickly...be sure you stay hydrated...I drink a quart of Gatorade 0 at the pool and 16 oz of water when I get home...our dog won’t hardly go outside!
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oooh, a Gatorade 0 sounds amazing right now, @conniewilkins56 ! Our A/C is on the fritz so my daily yoga has suddenly and unceremoniously turned into hot yoga, haha. I'm still doing it but the rest of my time is spent feeling totally energy drained in the basement. Usually, I'd escape to family or a friend's house but with us still trying to stay socially distanced it's not an option.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I really need to work on getting more sleep. I didn't get much on Sunday night or Monday night either - was probably running on about 3-4 hours both nights. Last night, I got to bed earlier, and while I still had trouble falling asleep, I got more than I had been getting - perhaps 6 hours? And it made a big difference on the scale this morning! I checked the scale weight about 6 times because I didn't believe the reading :) I've noticed that in the past, though - I seem to struggle with water retention on nights where I get less than 5 hours of sleep. Give me a night to sleep in, and the scale will almost always be down the next morning.

I also find it interesting how the body will reduce fat where it pleases. The past month, my body was apparently focusing on the hips - I took my measurements this morning, and while the waist measurements stayed the same, my hips were down an inch from last month!

I didn't get any extra exercise in yesterday other than vacuuming the house, and I didn't bother counting that. I was over a little on calorie goal but not bad, and Monday was under calorie goal, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that means that the brain hunger drive might be idling back a little from what its been the last few weeks, because its been a real struggle for me lately controlling that monster that is screaming for "FOOD! EAT" in my head!

And here is just a completely random thought that has nothing whatsoever to do with weight loss: why is "vacuum" spelled with 2 "u's"?
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I have absolutely no idea. Now I'm trying to think of another example of that in the English language and I can't.

You have to enjoy those days when the scale surprises you in a good way. God knows there are plenty of other days when it goes the other way.