Exercise

Options
tempe987
tempe987 Posts: 39 Member
Hey All! I didn't see a recent discussion about this so hopefully, it is ok to make one.

What are your favorite exercises? I am trying to broaden my experience and find something that I don't absolutely hate.

I am walking 1.5 miles 3 times a week with my mom and step-sister. I've also done Yoga and a 10-minute cardio workouts. I'd like to find something I can do before I go to work in the morning. At my weight, I feel like everything is hard and I am making too many modifications. I only did one little cardio workout and I immediately thought "oh maybe you shouldn't do that right now, You're too out of shape"

Replies

• jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love walking by myself on roads that have wooded areas-helps me refocus and feel calm. I also like doing “yoga for bigger bodies” from the yoga room on YouTube. Most are under a half hour and make anything that’s achy feel stretched out and better. When I feel totally too out of shape to do anything I follow any seated cardio (including wheelchair videos!) on YouTube-the challenge of just focusing on my upper body makes it not feel as daunting all at once. Best of luck!!!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I use a cardio video by a group called team body project https://teambodyproject.com/dashboard/

They've got several that are set up for beginners including chair workouts, and during all the videos they constantly reinforce that you go at your pace; you do what you can do as perfection is not the goal but progress. They will tell you if you need to stop, then stop, catch your breath, come back in when you can; choose your own pace that is for you, and even pause when you need to. They have a few free ones on their website and youtube, but I find I seem to have a lot more available through their roku channel which is where I get the workouts.

I also have a cheap home elliptical that was given to me and I walk a lot. I also have been trying out jiu-jitsu, though I've missed a lot of that lately because of Covid-19 and because its summer and there is so much that takes up my time in summer; I probably won't be able to get into that much better until fall.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I started off slow by walking every morning before work for 30 minutes. Once I felt good about that I joined a gym. My favorites there are the elliptical machine and swimming (though I haven't done that in awhile due to covid).

I also like doing boot camps but those aren't happening at the moment either and sometimes it's difficult to find ones that are for all shapes and sizes. (I've only had one bad experience and even that wasn't too bad - I was assured over the phone larger people were welcome and even encouraged. When I got there the people in the class were super nice but the trainer dude wasn't outwardly mean he just pretended I wasn't there. That's the only class I ever made sure I showed up on time every day.)
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I got my dog Darwin last summer, one of the reasons for doing it was to force myself to walk several times a day. Until 3 weeks ago, my morning ritual was to walk him around the block and then head for the dog park where I could sit on my butt while he ran around with all his friends. Needless to say, this was not effective in improving my health so I joined MFP and now walk an hour a day on most days. The biggest challenge for me is to not get obsessed with exercise, to where I insist on constant improvement.....and being an accountant, I love counting steps, miles, calories.....so on a day or two a week, I will let myself off the hook and rest.
  • tempe987
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I absolutely love Zumba. I haven’t done it in several months due to the COVID-19 craziness. It was my favorite workout. I was in no way doing it as well as the other people in the class but I was moving and that’s all that matters. Now I’m stuck with walking which I kinda hate and swimming which I love but is a lot of work to get the pool ready and then put back up.

I have to see if there is any Zumba workouts on Youtube! I remember trying to do it at home when it was first really popular. I did a few "Marshall Fitness" Youtube dance videos today. I am so uncoordinated! but I enjoyed it and that kind of surprised me. So I am going to look into more dancey stuff.
  • tempe987
    Options
    I love walking by myself on roads that have wooded areas-helps me refocus and feel calm. I also like doing “yoga for bigger bodies” from the yoga room on YouTube. Most are under a half hour and make anything that’s achy feel stretched out and better. When I feel totally too out of shape to do anything I follow any seated cardio (including wheelchair videos!) on YouTube-the challenge of just focusing on my upper body makes it not feel as daunting all at once. Best of luck!!!

I bet my bad back would appreciate a seated workout every once in a while! I had found a couple ten minute yoga routines on youtube but... I certainly couldn't really do a lot of them. I think there was a pose called "thread the needle" I think I modified that into an entirely different pose. I will definitely give those a look!
  • tempe987
    Options
    You exercise to stay fit. You eat lower calories to lose weight...I have lost 88.8 lbs since May 28, 2019 and only began exercising about a month ago...swimming is the only exercise I enjoy because it is less weight on my joints and I do not feel sweaty doing it...I am older and trying to find another exercise I enjoy...

You should've seen me after my workout today.. I looked like I just got out of the shower. I hate sweating! Swimming is also a pretty good full body workout too... I think.
  • tempe987
    Options
    papayahed wrote: »
    I started off slow by walking every morning before work for 30 minutes. Once I felt good about that I joined a gym. My favorites there are the elliptical machine and swimming (though I haven't done that in awhile due to covid).

I also like doing boot camps but those aren't happening at the moment either and sometimes it's difficult to find ones that are for all shapes and sizes. (I've only had one bad experience and even that wasn't too bad - I was assured over the phone larger people were welcome and even encouraged. When I got there the people in the class were super nice but the trainer dude wasn't outwardly mean he just pretended I wasn't there. That's the only class I ever made sure I showed up on time every day.)

I am walking 3 times a week with my mom and stepsister in the evenings, I do want to increase that number eventually! I have a pup who'd love to walk more!

You are very brave! I hate gyms, even friendly ones. I am so up in my head and self-conscious. I won't even work out in my own living room in case my husband or brother-in-law might see me.
  • tempe987
    Options
    Ccricfo wrote: »
    When I got my dog Darwin last summer, one of the reasons for doing it was to force myself to walk several times a day. Until 3 weeks ago, my morning ritual was to walk him around the block and then head for the dog park where I could sit on my butt while he ran around with all his friends. Needless to say, this was not effective in improving my health so I joined MFP and now walk an hour a day on most days. The biggest challenge for me is to not get obsessed with exercise, to where I insist on constant improvement.....and being an accountant, I love counting steps, miles, calories.....so on a day or two a week, I will let myself off the hook and rest.

I have mostly lazy little dogs but when we got Axel I thought it would help me get out more and walk him. He is Boxer/Lab mix so could play/walk for hours! He is loving my 3 times a week walks with my mom and stepsister. I want to work up to walking more than 3 times a week. Need to plan that out! I am not an accountant but also in that field I do pretty much everything except the federal taxes for two local small businesses! Plus I am a Virgo and I love my lists and plans and tracking!
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @tempe987 The yoga I mentioned is actually done by example with a woman who is heavier but extremely flexible from years of doing yoga. The woman running the channel will advise you to modify everything according to your level and remind you that the woman has been practicing a long time. Although I can’t often extend as far as she can, like bring my head all the way down when sitting, I do find that there’s no pose that’s out of the question like regular yoga 🤪
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    yoga's not for me for sure! And my video people has beginner pilates but I found I have horrible balance and can't do most of it, either lol
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have kind of a weird perspective about workouts since I've previously had an unhealthy relationship with exercise. One thing that's helped me work through that is by pretty much exclusively enjoying movement lead by people in bodies more similar to mine. So, as a precursor to my list, everyone I'm sharing below is in a larger body.

I do a ton of yoga. I have a super gentle in-person (well, Zoom right now) class once or twice a week for 75 minutes that I take alongside my parents. I also do Jessamyn Stanley's videos on my own since I like more of a challenge most days. She's in a larger body but her classes are universal. Her app, The Underbelly, will kick your butt at first. I couldn't do any of her videos for a while but a few months of more gentle yoga via other sources helped me build enough strength to get through even the tough ones. It's all about starting slow and learning your body.

Dana Falsetti is another yogi that I really love and I found her classes more approachable at first. Both she and Jessamyn offer alternative postures, promote using yoga props, and encourage you to do what feels right in your body, however it feels that day.

I mostly do yoga for the mental and spiritual benefits and I do it nearly every day. It's been the biggest measurement of my NSVs. When I want more of a burn, I like to do 30-minutes of Plyojam with Stacey Beaman or dance workouts with Jessie Diaz via YouTube. I saw that you'd mentioned The Fitness Marshall—he's super fun and I love that he has size-inclusive backup dancers.

There's also Joyn, which has a lot of fun, inclusive classes and offers seated or adapted alternatives for nearly every class. I've done a few free ones for fun and they're not necessarily as challenging but they're enjoyable and they're movement, which is all that matters at the end of the day. The classes are all pretty low impact and they have a ton of classes they're offering for free right now.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,311 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that it's okay to make modifications! I go to a gym and do gym classes, mostly with people in a lot better shape than me, and I modify stuff all the time. :)

Most of my regular classes are Les Mills classes, and somewhere they have a free series that kind of trains you for their BodyCombat class (kicking, punching, martial arts inspired). I love that class and these videos start off short, so there would are several 10 or 15-minute ones you could try to see if you like it. The only thing is you need some space because you move around a little and kick.
  • tempe987
    Options
    emmyjaykay wrote: »
    I have kind of a weird perspective about workouts since I've previously had an unhealthy relationship with exercise. One thing that's helped me work through that is by pretty much exclusively enjoying movement lead by people in bodies more similar to mine. So, as a precursor to my list, everyone I'm sharing below is in a larger body.
    I saw that you'd mentioned The Fitness Marshall—he's super fun and I love that he has size-inclusive backup dancers.

There's also Joyn, which has a lot of fun, inclusive classes and offers seated or adapted alternatives for nearly every class. I've done a few free ones for fun and they're not necessarily as challenging but they're enjoyable and they're movement, which is all that matters at the end of the day. The classes are all pretty low impact and they have a ton of classes they're offering for free right now.

I follow both Jessamyn and Dana on Instagram! I did subscribe to Dana's online studio for a while but I wasn't using it. I should try out Jessamyn's...

TBH I don't know what I like more the dances or his running commentary during the videos. He's hilarious. I do also like that he has all sizes and gender backup dancers. Makes me feel like I can do it!

• tempe987
    Options
    I just want to say that it's okay to make modifications! I go to a gym and do gym classes, mostly with people in a lot better shape than me, and I modify stuff all the time. :)

Most of my regular classes are Les Mills classes, and somewhere they have a free series that kind of trains you for their BodyCombat class (kicking, punching, martial arts-inspired). I love that class and these videos start off short, so there would are several 10 or 15-minute ones you could try to see if you like it. The only thing is you need some space because you move around a little and kick.

I remember years ago as a teen I did Tae bo from a VHS tape! I will look up Les Mills thanks for the recommendation!
  • tempe987
    Options
    I use a cardio video by a group called team body project https://teambodyproject.com/dashboard/

They've got several that are set up for beginners including chair workouts, and during all the videos they constantly reinforce that you go at your pace; you do what you can do as perfection is not the goal but progress. They will tell you if you need to stop, then stop, catch your breath, come back in when you can; choose your own pace that is for you, and even pause when you need to. They have a few free ones on their website and youtube, but I find I seem to have a lot more available through their roku channel which is where I get the workouts.

I also have a cheap home elliptical that was given to me and I walk a lot. I also have been trying out jiu-jitsu, though I've missed a lot of that lately because of Covid-19 and because its summer and there is so much that takes up my time in summer; I probably won't be able to get into that much better until fall.

I did 5 mins on my cheap home elliptical yesterday... I felt like I was dying. I think I can only do that one in short bursts.

I will check out Team Body Project! Thanks for the Rec!
  • tempe987
    Options

I did a Chloe Ting 10 min abs YouTube workout yesterday... I modified everything, but I still felt it!