boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I'm trying these today.
    Sometimes i need convenience and these give me no excuses
    avbmpq61837h.jpg
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Anyone here do C25K? I attempted it, repeated week 1. Started week 2 (which was technically my 3rd week), but got severe knee pain to the point where I was taking ibuprofen at least twice a day. I have multiple family members who have had knee replacements, so don’t know if I have some sort of hereditary knee issue or if I was just doing something wrong.

I really wanted to run a 5k in November and I was enjoying running so far, except for the pain. I stopped 2 weeks ago and my knees feel mostly better now. My original plan was to wait until I lost some more weight/put on some more muscle (to help support my knee joints), but I didn’t know if there was something else I could try.

I was running on a treadmill, with 0 incline, 5.5mph with a walking pace of 3.5mph.
  • iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Iamworthy14
    Monday’s
    PW ?
    CW 159.4

I got close to the 2lb commitment gonna try again this week!
  • EDTake2
    EDTake2 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, Happy August!!! I am new to the team and the challenge, and very excited :) good luck to everyone

Username: EDTake2
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    PW (Previous Weight): 216 (July 27)
    CW (Current Weight): 213.6
    LTD (Loss to Date):2.4
  • peachplace
    peachplace Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,
    Quick intro... I’m Georgia, I currently live in Bloomingdale IL. Formally from Chicago. I am a mom of 3yr old twins (girl & boy) been struggling with my weight for about 11 yrs.. 10yrs ago found out my thyroid was under active. So it’s been a struggle. My app has been acting up this past few weeks.. I think I may have found a way around it. New month new goals! Gonna make this month my month! With that said time for my numbers....

PW 251
    CW 253

Someone tell my scale it’s going the wrong way ;)

Rebooting my Drs plan and hopefully gonna have results by next Monday!
  • iamworthy14
    Options
    I am Kelly 48 yr old mom of 2 college kiddos. I love to run ....bike...swim if I must. After injuries and hysterectomy I have put on 15 of the 20 I kept off when I was running. I am trying to figure out that u can’t outrun the kitchen. I eat pretty well no meat dairy diet but I just eat to damm much( sweets And a good IPA or stout are my weakness) I am a closet emotional eater...slowly figuring it all out but so easy to fall back to the comfortable ways.
    Feel free to friend me...happy Monday all!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Anyone here do C25K? I attempted it, repeated week 1. Started week 2 (which was technically my 3rd week), but got severe knee pain to the point where I was taking ibuprofen at least twice a day. I have multiple family members who have had knee replacements, so don’t know if I have some sort of hereditary knee issue or if I was just doing something wrong.

I really wanted to run a 5k in November and I was enjoying running so far, except for the pain. I stopped 2 weeks ago and my knees feel mostly better now. My original plan was to wait until I lost some more weight/put on some more muscle (to help support my knee joints), but I didn’t know if there was something else I could try.

I was running on a treadmill, with 0 incline, 5.5mph with a walking pace of 3.5mph.

You are in luck! There are several runners in this group. I never did C25k, but I started out slow. Do what your body can do without injuring it!!! I have been lucky and not had knee issues, but my feet used to give me grief. After a race I could hardly walk for a day or so.

November sounds like a great goal for a 5k. My last official race was January 1.... I have a 10k scheduled for Thanksgiving day and its a big one -- the Atlanta Peachtree Roadrace. Rescheduled from 7/4 due to COVID.

Running is such a rewarding activity. I hope your pain subsides and you can continue training.

@Boehle, @iamworthy14 @TheMrWobbly -- any knee suggestions? Other runners chime in, too -- these are the ones my wee brain can remember that run :D
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Sadly I'm in a similar place to you... I want to be running but I'm not. I restarted running after a few years off (due to some serious knee injuries) hoping that I could get to the point of at least jogging a couple of km a few times a week. I seem to have just had injury after injury and since all I have done is week 1 and 2 over and over it's not exactly from overuse. Once I heal (currently I seem to have a IT band strain) I'll try again.

There are a few things you could look at.
    1. Good shoes. That doesn't necessarily mean highly padded. My knees do better in minimalist shoes - I think because it forces me to hit the ground with the ball of my foot.
    2. Strike - see what part of your foot is hitting the ground first, perhaps adjust if needed.
    3. Take it gentle. Perhaps start again but only running twice a week or something like that.
    4. There are exercises that you can do to build up muscles around your knees. I did lots of work with a trainer when mine were really bad. The exercises themselves were easy (things like lunges) but form was everything. So if you have someone knowledgeable you can ask for help there might be exercises you can do.

Happy running! November is a long way off so you have plenty of time to build up.

• Dogmom1978
    Options

Sadly I'm in a similar place to you... I want to be running but I'm not. I restarted running after a few years off (due to some serious knee injuries) hoping that I could get to the point of at least jogging a couple of km a few times a week. I seem to have just had injury after injury and since all I have done is week 1 and 2 over and over it's not exactly from overuse. Once I heal (currently I seem to have a IT band strain) I'll try again.

1. Good shoes. That doesn't necessarily mean highly padded. My knees do better in minimalist shoes - I think because it forces me to hit the ground with the ball of my foot.
    2. Strike - see what part of your foot is hitting the ground first, perhaps adjust if needed.
    3. Take it gentle. Perhaps start again but only running twice a week or something like that.
    4. There are exercises that you can do to build up muscles around your knees. I did lots of work with a trainer when mine were really bad. The exercises themselves were easy (things like lunges) but form was everything. So if you have someone knowledgeable you can ask for help there might be exercises you can do.

Happy running! November is a long way off so you have plenty of time to build up.

Thanks! My current goal is to drop to 175 and attempt it again (currently at 184) and maybe try running slower. I felt like I was going really slow already, but maybe slowing down more would help.
  • cre804
    cre804 Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Thanks! My current goal is to drop to 175 and attempt it again (currently at 184) and maybe try running slower. I felt like I was going really slow already, but maybe slowing down more would help.

As someone dealing with knee issues, I feel your pain. You mentioned that you are running on a treadmill. I find that my gait is different on a treadmill vs outdoors so maybe you could try to walk in your neighborhood or at a track and see if it helps. Strengthening your legs definitely helps. Be sure to work on front and back of legs to balance things out.

And even try power walking until you can get up to speed since it’s easier on your joints.
  • sextonamg
    sextonamg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh in!!!

Username: sextonamg
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    PW:163 lbs
    CW:161.4 lbs
    LTD: 2.6 lbs
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options

I'm a runner - I have completed one full marathon and 23(?) halfs. There could be lots of reasons for your knee pain - @Xiaolongbao mentioned good shoes which is so important! GET FITTED AT A REAL SHOE STORE. I only capped that because I've had friends say things like "I ordered them off the internet because they had good reviews...." If you were following C25K you know the rule of never adding more than 10% to your weekly mileage. And also - knee exercises which were also suggested. This could honestly make a world of difference. There's all kinds of exercises out there - search it and you'll probably be overwhelmed with all the information! Good luck!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Anyone here do C25K?
    I attempted it, repeated week 1. Started week 2 (which was technically my 3rd week), but got severe knee pain to the point where I was taking ibuprofen at least twice a day. I have multiple family members who have had knee replacements, so don’t know if I have some sort of hereditary knee issue or if I was just doing something wrong.

Knee pain can be several things other than weight. If you have the wrong shoes you will be running with your legs in the wrong position. You can normally get a free gait analysis at a running store though they will try to sell you new shoes. It will tell you if you need stability shoes for over-pronation or not or you may be running with stability shoes and not actually need them.

If you need to strengthen try doing C25K on a cross trainer which is very low impact on the joints. Use the same principle of going slow for walking and quicker for running.

Try running three few weeks or so to see if it is making a difference, if you still get pain go back to the cross trainer.

Keep posting comments on progress so we chip in with tips here and there
  • carriestrine
    carriestrine Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love that there are so many runners in this group! I have not yet picked back up running, but the last time I was at this weight back in 2013 I was a daily runner. Would love to get back in the habit, and it feels possible again! Currently I've been doing spin for cardio. Nothing beats a run outside with an excellent playlist for stress relief, though.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I’ve done C25K in the past, and would love to take up running again. I don’t have knee problems, but ankle problems instead. The ligament bands in my ankles are so frayed/torn that a specialized physical therapist was unable to even locate them, so my ankles are basically just bone, skin and muscle. Because of this, it’s impossible to run outside in the wintertime when it’s slippery, so I basically have to start over every spring. I also second the opinion that gait is different on a treadmill.

I found it’s best to just take it slow, repeating weeks if necessary. I have sometimes trained cardio endurance on a stairmaster or walking on an incline on the treadmill when I’ve been unable to run anymore.

All this running talk really makes me want to go on a run for the first time in a while!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty irritated. On Monday my weight jumped 3lbs from last week’s lowest, and it’s still 2lbs up. On Sunday I thought I’m a bit tired of seeing all these 96s on my scale, but apparently I forgot to specify I wanted to move down to 95s, not back up to 97s.

I know I had ridiculous amounts of sodium yesterday, but still. Since I follow trendweight, having these two really high days in a row is going to make it harder to get a decent trendweight loss on Sunday, even if this bloat leaves soon.

My aerial acrobatics course starts tomorrow, so I’m pretty excited about that! But also nervous.
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday💥💥💥 21Day Fix Real Time from Beachbody Day 15 which meant Leg Day....Whew...feeling the 🔥🔥🔥 in them legs!!
    What are you doing to continue on your health journey???
    Let me know if you need some ideas💥💥💥
    Today is also my 30 year wedding anniversary so got my workout in early and having dinner @ home-hubby is going to make zucchini noodles w/shrimp and maybe I'll have a glass of wine 🍷🍷 our usual restaurant is closed due to COVID
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    My husband yesterday said: “I can tell you are losing weight”. Best compliment I’ve heard in ages!!!

And yes, when running gets too painful, I am lucky enough to have a life fitness treadmill at home with different “hikes”. I pick the hardest level and then the incline varies and I “hike” through different parts of the world each day. I “hiked” in New Zealand one day last week lol. I enjoy the facts that come up on the display about the different areas and the graphics are pretty decent. It isn’t the same as actually hiking obviously (avid hiker in fall/winter and despise hot weather) but it’s better than staring at the wall while using the treadmill lol.

I will consider restarting the C25K next week on week 1 again and running slower to see if that helps at all.
  • iamworthy14
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »

You are in luck! There are several runners in this group. I never did C25k, but I started out slow. Do what your body can do without injuring it!!! I have been lucky and not had knee issues, but my feet used to give me grief. After a race I could hardly walk for a day or so.

November sounds like a great goal for a 5k. My last official race was January 1.... I have a 10k scheduled for Thanksgiving day and its a big one -- the Atlanta Peachtree Roadrace. Rescheduled from 7/4 due to COVID.

Running is such a rewarding activity. I hope your pain subsides and you can continue training.

@Boehle, @iamworthy14 @TheMrWobbly -- any knee suggestions? Other runners chime in, too -- these are the ones my wee brain can remember that run :D

I am all about the find yourself a good pair of running shoes and only use them for running and replace them every 300-500 miles. Also knee pain may be just using muscles that Haven’t been used in a while...think baby steps don’t increase mileage to fast. Welcome to the runners high❤️❤️❤️
This discussion has been closed.