Food, Exercise, or other Reports

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I decided to cash out of my calorie bank a little just because I am feeling a little more sluggish than earlier today and I do not want to extend it into tomorrow. This has seemed like a typical week so I do not think I am having CO problems. As far as I can remember the only chore I did that was different than normal was cycling the compost which really just took 10 minutes. Unless dealing with a pretty strong odor burns extra calories I am not sure that would even rate 50 calories.

Maybe it is just a lull day. Bet I feel better tomorrow.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I decided to cash out of my calorie bank a little just because I am feeling a little more sluggish than earlier today and I do not want to extend it into tomorrow. This has seemed like a typical week so I do not think I am having CO problems. As far as I can remember the only chore I did that was different than normal was cycling the compost which really just took 10 minutes. Unless dealing with a pretty strong odor burns extra calories I am not sure that would even rate 50 calories.

DUH, you lost 10 pounds of water in 3 days and probably more yesterday. Of course you feel off.

This is why I dislike this roller coaster of water weight. I may have to talk to the doctor about staying on a diuretic which I do not want to do.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

DUH, you lost 10 pounds of water in 3 days and probably more yesterday. Of course you feel off.

This is why I dislike this roller coaster of water weight. I may have to talk to the doctor about staying on a diuretic which I do not want to do.

How close are you to winter months where you live? Would it be possible to wait it out and see how you do in the cooler, drier weather?

Looks like I'm getting a sedentary day today whether I planned for it or not! I was going to get up and do a session on elliptical this morning but then checked and found that the vet appointment is scheduled for 8 instead of 9 and I didn't get up until 15 minutes to 6 and would rather just go ahead and start my day for work instead. I think i slept better last night - at least I didn't have fire alarms going off randomly, and I don't remember waking up more than once.

I doubt I get any exercise in this afternoon either because a friend texted me to ask if she could come over and do some sort of training for work using my internet; she was at her mother's home but her mother's internet isn't reliable. She likes to talk, so who knows when I'll get her out the door.

Then after work, I promised my brother I'd go over to see my new nephew, so there won't be any time after work, either.

Which means sticking to my regular 1500 calorie deficit today with no extra to help with dinner. Though if I go over, I'm not going to stress out about it. I may end up following your suggestion today after all, @NovusDies ! Sedentary day + perhaps over eating my deficit, if I push it to full maintenance today, we'll see if that helps with energy levels tomorrow! Though I don't know even if I do have better energy if I could fully credit it to the maintenance eating + sedentary day, especially if I manage to sleep in tomorrow morning (and that depends on how much of a nuisance my cat makes of himself.......and no, the bedroom I'm currently using doesn't have a door up yet, so I can't shut him out!)
  • NovusDies
    Options
    It happens during the winter too. It has happened more lately because of events, travel, and the break I took. The extra calories also allow me to eat more restaurant food. I am accustomed to cycling up and down but not this frequently. I have spent at least 7-10 days out of every month for the last 3 unloading water. That is hard on me. When I uptick more than about 7 pounds I feel it in all my physical activities.

I do not know if it will help while you are on your TOM but it can't hurt. I have not had to be sedentary on the day I have eaten maintenance I just have to do less exercise initially the next morning and I am buzzing.

I think my own energy level will stabilize a little higher when it cools off and the pressure of doing so much in the morning abates. This morning for instance I have 681 movement calories and I am still fasted. My experience tells me that I am now in the yellow zone of fuel and if I burn much more before I eat I will get a really bad headache and in general feel bad for several hours.

It is also time to run the experiment that I have been avoiding. I need to get my blood glucose monitor out and see exactly what the status of my reactive hypoglycemia is now with all the weight loss and activity. If I can fuel with carbs without worrying about low blood sugar it will help. I have been avoiding it but it needs to be done if I want to keep going at this pace. I think I still have some glucose tablets somewhere so I will need to track them down or get some more before I do it.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Yep. I have lost 11.8 pounds in 4 days. No matter how many times I do it that is crazy.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    It must be contagious...this is the last day of my “ break “ and after gaining 17 lbs I am back down 9 lbs....total gain over break 8 lbs....my lowest weight before break was 260 lbs and this morning 268.0 lbs....I am going back to 1 1/2 pounds for weekly loss in the morning....with swimming Calories burned it will still gives me enough calories to be satisfied...I didn’t swim yesterday as my shoulder is still sore ...I am going to water jog today and not do laps as that is what hurts my arm...( my body is starting to look like a road map)...this really upsets me because I do not want to think about spurs in my shoulder after having them already removed in left shoulder...the knees were a worse operation but the shoulder was very long in healing...and I have to go to the post office,bank,drug store and grocery store sometime today plus cook dinner etc...I miss my husband helping with this stuff so much...he is working on laundry this morning and he is struggling...breaks my heart but he is afraid to stop moving... I think we will have to have a nurse for a while when I get my foot operated on this fall....a nurse or a maid lol
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Yep. I have lost 11.8 pounds in 4 days. No matter how many times I do it that is crazy.

I don't think anything messes with your head worse than water weight!
  • bmeadows380
    edited July 2020
    Options
    talk about having a slug day - I'm not even going to have 3,000 steps in today; in fact, I'll be lucky to clear 2,000 steps! An early cat vet appointment and rain kept me from being able to walk this morning. And even though I did sleep better last night, I was still dragging when I went to pick my cat up at 3:30 and came home and actually laid down on the couch for over an hour until my mother came over.

I've got a very slight sore spot in my throat that's been there since last weekend, and this morning, I noticed that the lymph nodes in that side of my neck was also swelled. I emailed my doctor who said for now, we'd just ere on the side of it being allergies since I don't have any other symptoms to go with it - no head aches or body aches, no fever, no worsening of the sore throat, no breathing difficulties or congestion at all. and it could be allergies - I was cutting down that stupid knotweed earlier this week and it was blooming, not to mention the tree pollen. So that could be contributing to this tired feeling too, on top of TOM and all the work I was doing. Its too mild of a sore throat to be considered strep and only on one side, and again, no fever, either or body aches. And if I had the fever or body aches to go along with the tiredness, I'd wonder about mono, but I don't have any of those, either, so i don't think its that (besides, I don't go anywhere and don't share utensils or things like that, so I seriously doubt I'd have picked that up anyway, especially at my age).

I'm going to be over my calorie limit, too, because I just really, really want a taco salad from the place up town, though I'm getting it without the shell or cheese - lots of sour cream, though lol And I'm going to let myself have the chips, or at least 3 oz of them. If I can get them to answer the phone to take my order.

I suppose I could walk up there after I make my order; that would give me a few more steps in today and get me over 3,000 maybe at least, and I could pick up new batteries at Dollar General while I'm at it. I don't know - we'll see!

Or at least walk up there to see if they are open since they won't answer their phone!
  • bmeadows380
    edited August 2020
    Options
    well, scratch that - I'm not going to be all that far over after all because the mexican place uptown would never answer the phone - it went ot voicemail every single time and I'm too tired and don't feel up to driving 30 minutes to the next closest town, and I wanted a taco salad and something substantial, not taco bell. So I just took a can of chicken noodle soup and doctored it up with cheese and salsa and sour cream and saltines and will call that dinner.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I prelogged my food for tomorrow. It gives me a lovely sense of safety and calm. Also, I'm in the mood now to enter my recipe for pork in peanut sauce, and I won't be tomorrow when I'm getting it cooked.

Plus tomorrow is hot Italian beef sandwiches, and I am SO gonna enjoy that....
  • NovusDies
    edited August 2020
    Options
    What a weird day.

Earlier in the day I was eating more because I was sure I was mowing today and I would need more food.

Then it rained which meant no mowing and I was facing a pretty bleak finish for the day so I pulled out some of my older calorie pinching tricks to stay on budget.

Then I ended up taking the dog for an extra walk and it is too late (acid reflux) for me to eat anymore and I am finishing with slightly too much left uneaten.

Sometimes I allow myself to go over and sometimes I draw a line in the sand. It is mostly dependent on my mood for when it happens. I think today I was irritated with myself for just assuming the rain forecast would be nothing for us again today as it has been for every forecast of rain for 8 days. This is obviously a day I should have allowed myself to go over a little.

Yep. Weird day.

• bmeadows380
    Options
    That's the weather for you!

They were calling for mostly rain here today, but they've changed the forecast and now its a 30% change according to the 10 day page at the weather channel, though if you look at the hourly, it says 15%, and the main day page says 50% (hedging their bets or what?)

As long as its not raining when I get off work this afternoon, I'm going to mow grass whether its wet or not. Its either get it done today or take vacation time to get it done tomorrow because I'm heading out on Thursday to the best friend's to help her move and will be gone until Sunday, and when I get home Sunday, it will be in time to pack to go camping on Monday. Besides which I hate mowing grass on Sunday - even if I'm doing in between church services, it feels sacrilegious to me lol I know, that's silly, but the things that get drummed into you as a child can sometimes be impossible to root back out!

I got a six mile walk in this morning, so even if it rains, I got extra calories to allow for dinner this evening. If I get to mow grass, that will give me extra for dessert.

I haven't had much activity in other than my walks since Thursday - I went down to the church to practice piano Saturday morning, slept most of Saturday afternoon, then took a walk and spent the rest of the evening reading, and Sunday was elliptical, then church, fix dinner, sleep, go back to church, come home and go back to bed. Monday I got a walk in first thing that morning, but spent the evening after work reading. I did manage to stay under my deficit yesterday by 1 calorie :tongue:

however, if the scale doesn't pop back up too much if I get to mow grass today, then it looks like I may be experiencing a pretty good whoosh this week; we'll see how badly the scale pops back up tomorrow after mowing the grass. Starting Thursday, I"m going to take a week diet break and try to eat at maintenance, or at least set my calorie goal to maintenance and try to get back what I can in activity calories. I hope that will give me some more energy for moving the best friend this weekend, and then give me some more calories for the camping trip. See if that helps with the constant tiredness I feel all the time lately. Course when vacation gets here and I'm not having to get up early to the alarm clock, I should get way more sleep in next week too, between sleeping in and taking afternoon naps when needed.

I really, really need this vacation!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I took rest days Sun and Mon because of my shoulder....I wasn’t tired so I did run errands and go grocery shopping walking up and down all the aisles...cleaned the kitchen and ordinary chores....my shoulder is still very sore this morning but I am going to try water walking at the pool...my knees do feel much better after resting them..

daughter had to go to school yesterday and prepare her classroom....only 7 in her class but will teach virtually to 20 others at the same time....both grands opted to learn from home to start this year...there goes home alone for John and me!...

Our son is planning another 5 day hiking trip on the Appalachian Trail this fall...he has a friend going with him and his wife is staying home....I guess he misses his Boy Scout days....

Typical hot humid summer here....getting some late afternoon rains but not much....too hot to do much outside....
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @conniewilkins56

I'd love to walk the Appalachian Trail one of these days! But that's not something I think is very prudent to do alone, so unless my best friend finally gets into shape, its probably just something I'll dream about lol
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I hiked the New England portion of the Appalachian Trail by myself when I was 18. My parents thought it would be good for me before I headed to college in the fall (I was very rebellious at that age). I was in the best shape of my life, weighed 160 and could literally run up mountains without a pack on. I went for almost a full week and a half without seeing another person on the trail. Great memories...
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 - I dream of thru-hiking the trail. I've done a lot of hiking, but usually only a week at a time. It is one of my most favorite things - there is something so satisfying about covering so much ground under your own power and carrying everything you need.

@Ccricfo - how long is the New England section? I bet it was absolutely gorgeous!

@bmeadows380 - I enjoy hiking alone, but I also prefer less populated trails. The more people there are, the safer I feel having someone with me. I can handle the woods by myself. It's the other people I worry about lol!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    @conniewilkins56 - I dream of thru-hiking the trail. I've done a lot of hiking, but usually only a week at a time. It is one of my most favorite things - there is something so satisfying about covering so much ground under your own power and carrying everything you need.

@Ccricfo - how long is the New England section? I bet it was absolutely gorgeous!

@bmeadows380 - I enjoy hiking alone, but I also prefer less populated trails. The more people there are, the safer I feel having someone with me. I can handle the woods by myself. It's the other people I worry about lol!

My son is 47 and in great physical shape being 6’ 8” and 255 lbs...he also ice skates on a police hockey team...( he is a sexual predator detective)... his first hike was in the late fall in N Georgia and he had to stop after a day and a half because his wife was freezing!...the next trip he took two buddies and one quit three hours in.....he did four days with the other guy....this trip he is going with an experienced hiker ( wife refuses to go ) and they are planning five full days in the Carolinas....he loves it....I am glad he isn’t going alone for safety reasons....
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @eliezalot
    I like hiking alone too because I don't feel pushed and can take my own time, break when I need to, and enjoy the scenery when I want to. But I'm careful where I go by myself. I just day hike anyway - a few hours a day when I'm camping, and I stick to the trails within the parks I'm in and not the wilderness type trails. But even those trails are usually just me - I rarely if I ever cross paths with anyone.

It still worries my dad, though *sigh* I still carry a backpack, though, that I've been slowly stocking with things like flint and fire starter, a whistle and emergency blanket, a life straw, a first aid kit, and anything that I think would come in handy should something happen and I find myself stranded out over night.

I've never done a week hike where you carry your own supplies and camp along the trail. I'm finally in better shape and think it could be fun if I was with someone experienced, but its not something I think I want to try by myself!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I want to do a 2 day 25-30 mile hike next spring. That seems like a good place to start and see how I handle multi-day treks. I will probably be alone but the route will be planned well enough to take it pretty easy on me.