Awesome August

Options

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Mozart is wonderful. I am fairly obsessed with Haydn the past few years. I also found that I love opera which is weird. I never liked it when I was younger but omg... amazing.
  • ShredWeek1
    ShredWeek1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes! I'm lucky to live in a big city and to have seen many operas. When I was younger, it was the novelty, but now it is the depth.

Also, a huge Hadyn fan. I think he's much underrated.

I started tracking my web time, and was appalled by how much time I've spent on the web since COVID hit. Now, when I'm tempted to obsess with COVID, or anything else, I listen to music instead.

It reminds me that everything passes, but art is eternal (if that doesn't sound horribly pretentious.)

• Mihani
    Options
    Doesn't sound pretentious at all Shred. Good thought.

I set up my salads this morning. This week I have romaine and red leaf, radish, carrot, chinese cabbage, beets. For cooked veggies I have purple kale and collards, green beans, cauliflower. I will cook the veggies and some brown rice for dinner tonight which will take care of lunches for several days. When I run out then I'll use my frozen entrees for the remainder of the week. Not sure what salad dressing I will make.

Have laundry going and will get the dog hair swept up before I head up to my desk for the day. I like having so much accomplished early in the day.
  • ShredWeek1
    Options
    That's awesome!

I've accepted that what I did before (go to the gym, see my friends, go to the symphony, go to restaurants) may be unwise for at least another year, so I'm strategizing about how I can get the same kind of satisfaction, exercise, et al under the New Normal.

How do you set up your salads? In separate containers?

What kind of dog do you have? We have a Shih tzu, a Tiny Tyrant whom we spoil incredibly, but he adds so much to our lives it is worth it.

• Mihani
    Options
    Shred, I have seven 6 cup containers that I portion all my lettuce and veggies into on Saturday so they are all set for the week. Sometimes I take one for lunch but usually save for dinner just because it takes so long to chew all those veggies! I add any extras like some cooked veggies, beans, sunflower seeds, dressing when I'm ready to eat.

My pup is an 11 year old lab mutt. He's my little buddy.

I think I'm somewhat fortunate that I have been so crazed at work for the past few years. My recreation had been scaled way back well before Covid.
  • ShredWeek1
    Options
    That's a good plan, I find the more I prep the better I do. I think I'm moving back on track. My big downfall was ice cream...my last dairy, and I struggled to give it up, since ice cream is part of our family tradition of celebration. Now, I'm going to restrict it only out of the house, and only child size in a cup.

I think work is wonderful...I always need a project, be it work or something else of I feel like I'm drifting.

The great thing about COVID is I've become engaged in new activities...if anyone had told me that I'd be planting and tending sunflowers just a year ago, I would have scoffed.

There's been a 2 lb weight gain, but I feel confident that I can get that off. Eating off plan just feels "off" to me now. It is really force of habit.
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,813 Member
    Options
    Hey all...I am behind on posts reading them actually I just wanted to say I’m a little bit down in the dumps

Apparently they are doing something with our job as a receptionist I’m not sure if I still have a job I went out and asked point blank are they doing away with our position my supervisor said no. We are just re-purposed seeing you I’m not sure what that means but I’m pretty much feeling pretty bad right now I’m dictating this and it’s not going very well so I’ll talk to you guys later
  • magic71755
    Options
    Keeping fingers crossed that everything turns into one big mess and they are forced to back to what was an orderly and efficient way of doing things.

We Are down one receptionist..

Like I said I did going to my supervisor and ask her point-blank am I losing my job she said no you’re not but Will might be putting you in a different place so OK I’m gonna try not to worry but you know I’ll talk to you guys later bye
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,589 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Happy Monday, plant-based friends!

@magic71755 - Oh, my. I am so sorry about the work stress. You might try on the idea that if they are down one receptionist and figuring out how to use your time differently, it's because they like you and think you are great to have around?

Those potatoes sound delicious! So you cook them first, and then bake them in the air fryer? I am trying to think how I could do this... I don't own an instant pot and an air fryer, but I do have a pressure cooker and an oven. So maybe I'll try some version of cook and then bake. Not the same, but could be fun.

@ShredWeek1 and @Mihani - I so get the need for less social media, and am grateful you stop in here.

It's an interesting balance. Outside of this space, I find that I do not go looking for confrontation, but I am looking for ways to engage in conversations toward having life be better for as many people as possible. That seems like a inquiry worth having. I have started being curious about where people come from and asking a little about that. And if they ask me, sharing what matters to me when it is appropriate in a conversation. Not coming not from anger and blame, but from compassion and curiosity. That works in conversation, but not very well on, say, Facebook. Social media has such a way of sending a conversation straight to entrenched belief without a stop at curiosity!

@ShredWeek1 - I track my screen time, too. RescueTime is the tool I use. It's great for having me take a hard look at where the time goes. It lets you include phone as well as PC, wich is helpful for me.

Music - The only One Direction song I know is "What Makes You Beautiful," but that's a good one!

This song was my song of the day yesterday: Peaks and Valleys. They played a little bit of the song on NPR, and I had to go find the full song. I think it's gorgeous. What a voice. It's not as poppy as One Direction, so maybe not anyone else's thing, but sharing just in case! Another favorite song of mine is La Que Manda by Gina Chavez. This is a great dance around in the kitchen song for me! It comes recommended by Brene Brown, too!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Magic, I am so sorry things are stressing you out at work. Praying that your job is secure and that you can get back to your normal happy state of being!

Shred, I used to plant sunflowers! Loved them. So cheerful. Gardening is one of the many things I have given up over the years as work has consumed more of my life.

Austin, I have no problem with people in real life. I'm just tired of people online and super duper tired of politics. How are your projects coming along?

It was a crazy day and I just wrapped up working! Thank goodness our secretary is back.

Did well today...
    B - oats with frozen blueberries and oat milk yogurt (Silk came out with oat milk yogurt recently and while it does have some added sugar it is fat free and lower in calories. I tried it plain and wasn't too jazzed but mixed with my oats and blueberries it is fine!)
    L - Amy's red curry
    D - big ol' salad
    S - Amazing Grass powder mixed with water

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday, all!

Magic - Sending you big hugs. All change can be stressful. I am hoping that out the other aside,m this one is an okay one for you. Take care. We are thinking of you.

Mihani - It is crunch time today on the project, and I don't know quite how I am going to get it all done. I got up early, cleaned the kitchen, folded the laundry, and partly cleared off space on my desk. I just finished my one schedule meeting of the day. Now I must keep calling, talking, typing and getting stuff done! After this it gets easier!

Shred - Thinking of you today, as this may be a good day for Mozart! Something both calming and with that kind of get-things-done tempo. :-)

• Mihani
    Options
    Hope you were able to get a lot done today Austin! I think sometimes I'm better when I'm under pressure, but then again the pressure wears me out. I wonder if there is a happy medium somewhere.

Super busy and stressful day in many ways, but I handled it. I think I might take another shower now... just feel worn out and gross and maybe a shower would perk me up. I'm a water sign and I think it may be why I always feel rejuvenated by rain, showers, swimming, etc. Got home late again and haven't even had my salad yet.

Wasn't a perfect WFPB day...

B - oats with blueberries and almond milk yogurt
    L - Amy's tofu scramble
    D - big ol' salad
    S - too many pretzels
  • magic71755
    Options
    Today's Plan...icecubesmiley.gif

coffee with almond milk
    Just Eggs scrambled (plant based egg substitute) with sauteed mushrooms and onions (Better than I had expected eggedsmiley.gif...totally sold)
    Grilled veggies with Jasmine rice
    White Nectarine
    Gardein Ultimate Burger with LTO and ketchup mayo (Vegenaise) mixture Kosher Dills
    Watermelon
    Acai frozen bowl if I just have to have something else rolleye.gif

Wishing all of you, an equally deeeeeeeeelicious day!

Dentist appointent today...ain't gonna lie...not looking forward to it...with everything put on hold so long...it's about a year since last checkup. No pain or anything...just a cleaning...but ewwwwwwwwwww...not a fan...but is anyone? Gotta do it...healthy teeth for a healthy heart

My coworker called me last night...our supervisor talked to her and we are assured of being employed...just not sure in what jobs they will be or what department. So A BIG THANKS TO YOU sweet plant people for being so kind.

Later, dollies! <3

• Mihani
    Options
    So glad to hear things are going to settle at work, Magic. Good luck with your dental appointment. I don't necessarily love the process, but I love the feeling when my teeth are all clean and sparkly after.

Another busy day, but I got out of the office only about 20 minutes late today. Have laundry going. Going to eat my salad in a few and just chill. Read for a bit and get to bed on time.

B - ezekiel toast with a smidge of PB
    L - Amy's "meatloaf" entree
    D - big ol' salad
    S - oats with blueberries and oat milk yogurt

I used up my frozen wild blueberries and had another bag of regular blueberries that I used today. Not nearly as good. I love the little wild blueberries. And they are actually better for you health-wise! I have read articles that the smaller wild blueberries are higher in antioxidants. They definitely have a better flavor.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi all, still super busy with work. I'm going to the office both Saturday and Sunday this weekend so I can try to get on top of things.

B - ezekiel toast (dry) and a plant protein shake
    L - Dr. McD soup, apple
    D - big ol' salad topped with chickpeas and sunflower seeds

When I eat toast without anything on it, I always think of Elwood from The Blues Brothers ordering dry white toast. And Jake... I'll have 4 fried chickens and a coke!

• ShredWeek1
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hello all! I've been dabbling at looking at various meal planners, and the Engine 2 one looks interesting. I need something to rev up my commitment and after two straight months of largely eating potatoes with desperate for new taste plunges into ice cream, I need a plan! I love Fuhrman and Hello Nutritarian, but I know that my family will snub those recipes. I'll just have to tweak the Engine 2 recipes to make them more McDougall compliant.

Also, I've been feeling very isolated and a touch lonely lately. My DH is a catalog of pre-existing conditions (high blood pressure, cholesterol, over 70) so I'm particularly rigid about limiting my contact with the outside world...and I think feeling isolated so much has given me a lot of drive towards emotional eating. Granted my emotional eating now is quite different from before...but nonetheless I'm on this plateau and I need to get off of it.

And, yes, it has been a Mozart kind of week!

Thinking of all of you and thanking you for your support, even more so when my mine is not consistent in return.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hello Nutritarian is really cool, Shred, but I have never done the full plan. It's a lot of prep and cooking for me, but I do use some of the recipes and most have been great. If your family wouldn't be on board it wouldn't be much use I agree. I understand what you mean about feeling isolated and lonely. I feel like I'm in a total state of inertia lately other than work, and having trouble mustering energy to exercise or do projects around the house. I wasn't exactly a social butterfly before, but I did try to get out and do things with other people sometimes, and this is wearing on me. I've tried to use the time to my advantage, but as it drags on and on... and on and on... I'm losing my optimism.

This week's salads are red and green leaf lettuce, purple cabbage, radish, carrot, broccoli and cauliflower. I think I'll make the punchy mustard dressing for this week.

I am going to make a serious effort to get off my behind and hit the treadmill every day starting today! My efforts have been sporadic lately, at best.
  • magic71755
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Ladies...I am going to take a break from posting...I have been MIA lately and I just think I need a break from this for awhile.

Will always be plant based... that will never change. Wishing you all the best. Later, my dear plant pho-cussed peeps! <3
  • ShredWeek1
    Options
    Good evening, all!

If everyone is okay with it, I'd like to just kind of ramble along in my postings, and do a daily commitment posting, and then a periodic reevaluation.

I think we are all wonderful, interesting people, and it is a pleasure to go on this journey with you!

One specific question: Has anyone done McDougall here? I get the impression that the majority here are ETL. I've never been able to quite stick to that, but I was thinking of doing Dr. Fuhrman's 10 in 20 plan.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Magic, I understand... know that we'll be thinking of you and looking forward to seeing you again soon! (((hugs)))

Shred, that's a great idea! I have been a little sporadic lately as work got super busy again but trying to check in most days. It helps keep me focused. This started out specifically a Dr. F group but has evolved to embrace all the WFPB plans. I have done periods of time strict ETL but more Engine 2 / Dr. McDougall overall because I love starches!

I remember looking at the 10 in 20 plan a while back but like most plans it's too much cooking for me. I prefer to have my salads ready and then make a couple things like soup, stew, baked tofu, etc. that will last me several days. Trying to cook something different every day just isn't for me.

Plan for today...
    B - ezekiel toast with a smidge of peanut butter
    L - Dr. McD soup and an apple
    D - big ol' salad