Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :) The last time I bought clothing in a store was shoes in 2016. I don't buy a lot of clothes, but when I do, I shop online. I have been happy with everything. I wear the same things all the time so there is not a lot of variety except in the pictures on my four sweatshirts.

:) I love walking with my dogs but on the rare occasion when they have been boarded, I've walked anyway at the same time and along the same route. I meet friends to go for a walk rather than a meal or a beverage so I get some extra walking that way. I listen to audio books or podcasts while I walk so that adds to my opportunities for reading.

<3 Barbie
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Goodness, I just saw on the news that Denver, Colorado is 36c today but tomorrow will only be 3c. What a shock to the system that will be! 🥶
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    I know some of you are friends with Phyllis Phyljen (I may not have her MFP screen name exactly right) on Facebook. For those of you who are not, she is a Sneaker who lives in Egypt and seemed to get back to the United States to visit family about once a year. She posted this morning that her mother, who lived in the states, passed away.

So just FYI. I don’t think she has posted here in a number of years.

Hugs.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    pinkperil wrote: »
    Goodness, I just saw on the news that Denver, Colorado is 36c today but tomorrow will only be 3c. What a shock to the system that will be! 🥶
    Jackie

I heard snow is expected in Aurora Colorado! Eeeeck.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    linder4866 wrote: »
    I know some of you are friends with Phyllis Phyljen (I may not have her MFP screen name exactly right) on Facebook. For those of you who are not, she is a Sneaker who lives in Egypt and seemed to get back to the United States to visit family about once a year. She posted this morning that her mother, who lived in the states, passed away.

So just FYI. I don’t think she has posted here in a number of years.

Hugs.

Lin

I remember Phyllis, how sad. I guess we aren't friends on Facebook.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Patsy is still trying to get on here but is having difficulties. She said to say hi to everyone and she has nothing earth shattering to share.
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Is PHYLLIS the lady who was thinking of buying a second home in the States? If so, I'm very sorry you've lost your mom Phyllis. Such a loss leaves a big hole in our lives.

Who said SNOW! Mind you I believe snow and frost was reported north of us,.....north, but still early for snow. It was quite chilly when we got up this morning.
    Anne.
    PS. WOW, I've just had notification my winter woollies from M&S will be here on Wednesday. Just in time for any snow blowing down!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Busy weekend for sure. Mini-highlights: Saturday - We headed to Oneida Lake for some boat photo-ops and just enjoyed a morning of fresh air and sunshine. Tried eating out for lunch, but they only had inside tables and the day was too beautiful…so I cooked on the grill.

Sunday – The morning was dedicated to a newborn photo shoot. I had taken the couples wedding photos 2 years ago. Weeks ago I explained I had never done a “baby” shoot and suggested they find someone else (it is different than event photography etc.) but they wanted us. I am posting 1 of the few hundred I took without parents. First time wearing a mask throughout the shoot… hated the glasses fogging up. LOL

kab44gnxtzbp.jpg

omyjgup7kxe1.jpg

Sunday afternoon was a “drastically” reduced Labor Day cookout with family. Normally 5 times as many people, but this was kept COVID-sized. One amazing relative has stage 4 cancer (breast) etc. long story – but she is upbeat and keeps very active. Does Silver Sneakers exercises etc. and this week has to have that up-the-nose COVID test before a back procedure. Jean managed to play with the kids in their “fort.”

It was at my 40-something nephew’s home. Great guy with his own life-long disorder that shortens life span to two-thirds that of a person without the disease. While the faint sound of his heart valve replacement is a reminder to him – there is no self-pity… he has an enormous appreciation for life and family. Can’t help but be reminded of how lucky I am.

Today…it was the gym and then to doctor’s office to drop off an item…forgetting it was a holiday and closed. So that is tomorrow morning. Got home and prepared lunch on stove and grill. Wanted something I could combine with Jean’s homegrown green tomatoes. Jean got her COVID results from the blood she donated – all negative! Rewarded her a little while ago with an ace cram cone!LOL

Looks like I missed a bunch of postings! Will read some now and some tonight.

Sandy – thanks I really do like to cook. Jean thinks I am crazy, but like I said B$ -- this comes from a person who says ironing relaxes them. Hope things improve in Illinois…our numbers are pretty good where we live. As for FB…I know what you mean. We have relatives in AZ, Florida, NYC, NC, VA etc. and it is the only way we really connect.

Lin – that “button” puzzle must have been a bear! I can see all those odd shapes! As for “Robin Hood” – always been a fan or Errol Flynn and Russel Crowe versions – how movies have changed. Glad you liked the food photos. Today was the “green tomato” concoction noted above. (Green tomato, grilled vegetables, red onion, dab of soy sauce, squash, skinless chicken thighs). You make me want to try some Kale mix one of these days.

56z7ehy9ymon.jpg

Jackie – Looking at your photo, it is almost like I can smell the environment. So much work!! As for COVID, it can tiresome for sure. We are not planning anything at this early stage. I know people that have taken trips to Florida and Niagara Falls (you can’t go to Canadian side) but we have no interest in going anywhere until things are “much” better. No desire to get on an airplane or take a vacation wearing a mask etc. This too shall pass!

Time to break and fix some dinner! Bob
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Yes, I recall Phyllis from Egypt. So sorry about her Mother.
    Bob, that's a handsome photo of a gorgeous baby!
    I'm "coming along". Seem to have trouble breathing properly and don't have much energy, so I relax in my lounge, taking turns reading and snoozing most days. It is now 7:35 and I'm ready to get to bed.
    <3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    Options
    Happy to see you Buzz. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Rest my friend.
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Hello BUZZ. Chilly and rainy yesterday so I did a lot of reading as well. Oh, and I baked bread.

And apart from reading and baking I was quite ruthless in throwing out clothes I've had for decades. Do people wear slips/underskirts anymore? I spend most of my time in jeans and pants these days. Anyway that's it for this week. We are only allowed one dustbin and one big garbage bag every two weeks and my discarded clothes, unworn for years, are so ancient they are not good enough for charity,
    59 F this morning.
    Anne. ❤️
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning. Chilly and rainy today.

Here’s a morning teapot that the poster says she actually uses. (Teapot & Lid: Mad Hatter by GRACIE BONE CHINA)

idw3opxdx1c5.jpeg

I like it!

❤️❤️
    Lin
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Got up at 3:45 am thinking it was 4:45 am… caught early news on TV with coffee…LOL… Blink now opens at 5am starting today! Got there and found 6 people already in line. After gym, I did some grocery shopping – back home, caught up on a few things and hit the shower. Drove to dr office to drop off specimen at 8:30 am. Back home again at 9:30am. Weather should be nice today (80’s this week but next week highs will be 60’s.). Going to take a long ride in about an hour or so with Jean… and that’s my morning. Want to soak up the nice weather as much as possible.

n9qt7nopnhh7.jpg

Buzz – Thanks. The baby is cute and the parents are adorable. He is a cop and she is in healthcare. Hope you continue to “come along.” Breathing problems can be so stressful… I feel bad for what you are going through. Wish you a comfortable Tuesday!

Anne – I stopped wearing my slips/underskirts when I retired. LOL. As for cleaning out old clothes, I do tend to procrastinate – but a few yrs back I did get rid of all my super fat clothing so I would have nothing to fall back on… now it’s time to go thru again. Love when I can donate some lightly used clothes to church/charity. Have a great day!

Lin – That tea pot certainly fits the “Mad Hatter” moniker!

Heading out soon… Have a great day! Bob
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    BOB - re message to me, LOL. Anne.
    Branches and leaves all over the place on our walk. It must have been a wild and windy night! Wore a light jacket for the first time this summer.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    A pleasant surprise once the low clouds and mizzle drifted away so out came the sun and a trip to the allotment with my neighbour was constructive and warm! Home with green beans, Beetroot and rhubarb as well as the last of the blueberries. Just finishing my snack lunch when my new lawnmower arrived courtesy of Amazon because I couldn’t find what I wanted at a local shop. A Bosch make which gives good engineering if you have that sort of mind! I was expecting to lift it out of the box, screw the handle together and cut my now long grass but no, first hunt for the wheels tucked in the grass box, lock them on then spend 10 minutes turning bolts and screws round in my hand figuring out from a basic diagram which way they fitted on! An hour later I’m ready to do a test run! 👩🏼‍🌾
    Clear skies so lots of sunshine and around 22c which is great.

A lovely teapot Lin... I’d happily use it too!
    Back later
    Jackie

• Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Another gloomy, rainy day here. Volleyball is done for now but I am still sitting on Tuesdays so Lisa can do her shopping, exercise and some online hours to keep her teacher certification. I am going to put in an order to Walmart for pickup tomorrow when done here. The weather is a little depressing so I am glad to be with the kiddos today.

Jackie, I really don't think there isn't anything you can't do, you amaze me.

Anne, I have a hard time throwing out clothes as well but then I see old pictures and say oh my goodness I still have that top from ten years ago. I do have a bag of clothes in my bedroom I keep forgetting to donate somewhere.

Bob, what time do you go to sleep that you wake up in the middle of the night? lol

Buzz, just rest and know that we all think of you everyday and pray for you.

Lin, I do like this teapot as well.

I better get moving and order my groceries, hello to all I missed.
    Have a safe and hopefully dry day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Good afternoon

I was on the phone with Social Security again today for quite a while with, of course, different answers than those I received during my last phone call. It is quite maddening. We will see what happens next. According to this representative, I should receive a confirmatory letter in the next week on the overall change in status AND a response to the issue raised on the last phone call in TWO months. They are so confusing. At this point, I would be scared if I got the same answer twice. Fingers crossed they get it straightened out.

I had a little grocery order placed and it arrived just as I got my callback from Social Security of course. Haaaaa. The few items are put away and just one error on the yogurt I ordered, so I will leave things alone.

My iPad is acting up. I never know if it will charge. I plug it in and most times it doesn’t charge, no green charging indicator. I ordered a new cable and plug in which seemed to work for a couple of days. Then back to no charge. I have blown out the plug in portion of the device with canned air and have tried 3 different electrical plug ins and surprise, this morning it charged. But after I use it, I have no idea if it will charge again.

I almost called AppleCare but I know there is nothing they will do. When I had problems with my last iPad they told me, so sorry, you can get a small trade in credit if you bring it into the store but we won’t fix it for you. They would take it and if it was worth their effort, they would fix it and place on sale as some kind of refurbished status. A friend and her husband had a problem with an expensive iPad Professional and they stormed the store and demanded a new replacement at no cost. They got it. There is strength in numbers. 😂🤣😂

Okay, I did a little puzzle and I just love these.

ravp5gqbdodd.jpeg

Bob, that is an EARLY morning. Wooooo! It is cold enough here that my furnace went on automatic heating. Lovely food photos from yesterday’s post. Cute baby photo and interesting photo of the boats. Looks like a Trump flotilla. There were lots of them over the weekend. Enjoy your drive.

Anne, you baked bread yesterday and read the frightening Mr. King? Does the Bean get a taste of the delicious bread that you make? I think the days of slips and half-slips are long over. Good for all of you tossing things out. I always have intent but nothing much in the follow through.

Jackie, your weather sounds lovely. Congratulations on the mower assembly. Well done! I hope you like it and it performs well.

Sandy, are you saying you could order groceries in the morning and pick them up in the evening, same day? If so, well done Walmart. There is routinely at least a one day wait here.

Hello Buzz, hoping today is a good day with much improvement. ❤️❤️

Waving to Patsy🙋🏼‍♀️

Barbie, how are things in your area? Wind? Smoke? Any other issues? Hoping all is well.

Best wishes all round.

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello all! It has been a real tangle of trials and errors to get back on here. I really miss hearing about your adventures.

My focus has been exercising my creaky body, a bit of cleaning etc and viewing and choosing photos of the paintings I am putting on my potential YouTube video. The sound effects are such fun to go through. Our son thinks I should also record some sounds myself. Not sure how to do that without a lot of equipment. One project at a time....I tell myself.

I am really getting quite annoyed at how some of My favorite people are leaving the planet. STOP IT! Another artist friend from the old days has passed from this miserable virus. It is such a strange feeling. I feel sad but also very mad!

My dad was one of those early morning people like Bob. A concept I don’t fully understand. I can get up, yes but I sit in a stupor with my hand clutched around a mug of coffee. My Brain is lying peacefully in a thick fog. I get up regularly at around 7:00 am. John sleeps until 9. I have two hours to discuss events with Katie. As we know she is very philosophical, in a labradoodle sort of way.

Happy to chat with you all. Love the mad hatter tea pot. And Photos from Bob and Jackie. Thanks Sandy for your help with MFP, sending bunches of love and hugs to you one and all.
    Patsy☘️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    We've just been informed here that the daily rise in virus cases is a cause for concern as we enter fall. Please take care friends.
    The report was enough for me to phone my grocery supplier to ask if anything can be done for us elderly folk who couldn't find a delivery date available during the last lockdown. I suggested they run two posts, one for the masses and one for us old faithfuls who order regularly, but get shut out in the mass panic. The lady thought that a good idea. She said they had been overwhelmed with the load of grocery requests last time, and they were aware a lot of regular customers had been shut out. Meanwhile, she said phone if you can't get a delivery date again...which is all very well because the phone was constantly busy last time. One simply couldn't get through.

So.....all I can suggest is we stock up on flour, yeast, canned goods (not frozen in case the electricity goes down) etc.

Sorry to post with a downer, but I for one am expecting the worst and hoping it doesn't happen!

I'm reading my last story in Stephen Kings four story book. I don't think even he could have dreamt up this world wide predicament. I'm amused that every so often he manages to get a dig in at Donald. The stories are set in 2020.

Do take care dear Sneakers, we can't let our guard down yet.
    Anne.

• Gawanne35
    Options
    So glad you've made it back PATSY ! Hug from Anne.