What's on your mind today?

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,847 Member
    @cjane917 Thanks for your suggestions :)
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    @ginadomaszewicz @TerriRichardson112 Thank you both for your ideas! Going to start the changes. The more I think about this, I really like it. It is more "normal" meals as my son says, which means a higher likelihood of it becoming sustained as a healthy lifestyle, instead of my "diet phase".
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 336 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @SModa61 I saw your post about feeling hungry and wondering about eating exercise calories back. I try and start my day with mostly protein. This fills me up longer. I also eat plenty of veggies like cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, etc..that I can quickly munch through the day. Sometimes I eat them plain and other times with peanutbutter or hummus. I am 143 pounds and 5'2, 52 years old. My calorie total for day is 1200. I usually burn 500 calories a day on my treadmill. I will eat calories back if needed, but I usually at end of day have around 400 left after exercise. I think once you feel like you are starving it gets hard to stay on track. I find days I feel that way I usually didnt eat enough protein or veggies. Don't get hard on yourself if you are hungry and need to eat some of those exercise calories back. Hopefully you can get some new ideas on here that will help. Good luck!

Thanks for your response. At the end of today, I am feeling more sane and yes my macros today were lower in carb protein at 126g and 62g fat if I recall. Slightly hungry right now, but appropriately so. I don't know how you and suziQ are doing these 1200 cal/day and exercising. The day that set off this whole hunger cycle was Thursday when I ate something like 1198 plus upper 200 in exercise. I was ok that day. Then friday morning, i could not get unhungry, then Sat the same, and then my post this morning, Sunday. If I had crossed my 1340 on friday and used exercise points, I think i could have stopped it. But then I would have crossed my target calories for the challenge. Anyhow, thank you again! :)

My daily calorie goal is 1250 while doing the daily exercise. I track macros too and aim to stay around: 30% carbs, 40% fat and 30% protein.

A friend of mine was doing a hardcore fitness challenge and she was eating much lower fat percentages while doing it. I saw her progress and tried to adjust my macros to fit hers. I couldn't do it! With the lower fat percentage I was much more hungry throughout the day and became hungry very quickly after eating a meal. I stick to my self-prescribed macros and work to incorporate healthy fats into my diet: avocado, nuts, olive oil, etc. It's been really helpful.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,847 Member
    FibroHiker wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @SModa61 I saw your post about feeling hungry and wondering about eating exercise calories back. I try and start my day with mostly protein. This fills me up longer. I also eat plenty of veggies like cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, etc..that I can quickly munch through the day. Sometimes I eat them plain and other times with peanutbutter or hummus. I am 143 pounds and 5'2, 52 years old. My calorie total for day is 1200. I usually burn 500 calories a day on my treadmill. I will eat calories back if needed, but I usually at end of day have around 400 left after exercise. I think once you feel like you are starving it gets hard to stay on track. I find days I feel that way I usually didnt eat enough protein or veggies. Don't get hard on yourself if you are hungry and need to eat some of those exercise calories back. Hopefully you can get some new ideas on here that will help. Good luck!

Thanks for your response. At the end of today, I am feeling more sane and yes my macros today were lower in carb protein at 126g and 62g fat if I recall. Slightly hungry right now, but appropriately so. I don't know how you and suziQ are doing these 1200 cal/day and exercising. The day that set off this whole hunger cycle was Thursday when I ate something like 1198 plus upper 200 in exercise. I was ok that day. Then friday morning, i could not get unhungry, then Sat the same, and then my post this morning, Sunday. If I had crossed my 1340 on friday and used exercise points, I think i could have stopped it. But then I would have crossed my target calories for the challenge. Anyhow, thank you again! :)

My daily calorie goal is 1250 while doing the daily exercise. I track macros too and aim to stay around: 30% carbs, 40% fat and 30% protein.

A friend of mine was doing a hardcore fitness challenge and she was eating much lower fat percentages while doing it. I saw her progress and tried to adjust my macros to fit hers. I couldn't do it! With the lower fat percentage I was much more hungry throughout the day and became hungry very quickly after eating a meal. I stick to my self-prescribed macros and work to incorporate healthy fats into my diet: avocado, nuts, olive oil, etc. It's been really helpful.

@FibroHiker Thank you. I appreciate knowing your macro distribution. I still cannot comprehend daily calories at 1250 and not using earned exercise calories. thank you for your insights!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    cjane917 wrote: »
    *snip*

@maltedtea and @BMcC9 thanks for sharing about the PB yogurt recipe and pears. Let me know if you try the yogurt and what you think!

It tastes like...whipped PB?! I ended up using skyr (since that's what I tend to buy) and about a teaspoon of smoked salt.

I'm not mad at it and it's quite filling, too! I ate all my pears but perhaps a couple of tbsp of this.

However, I'm sure I'll finish it all by Monday! 🤤 Thanks again for the idea, @cjane917.

hsc1pfwnc82q.jpg

• cjane917
    cjane917 Posts: 688 Member
    @MaltedTea looks great! Yeah that's a good description. You can change the ratio based on what taste you're going for too. I loveee peanut butter but there are so many calories in just a tablespoon that I find it helpful to mix it up with something else. :)
  • GigiDoma
    GigiDoma Posts: 445 Member
    Just some things I was thinking today while on my treadmill. Why do we focus so much on the number on the scale or is it just me? I was very tempted to weigh myself today because I know I have lost weight. I can feel my clothes fitting better. I however know I can't get on that scale until the end of the month or I will blow it! I know when I am on track because I have clothes in my closet I can't fit into. Every few weeks I will take out those smaller clothes and try them on. I put them on today and I could actually get those pants over my *kitten*! They are not comfortable to wear yet, but I couldn't even get them pulled up before. My jeans I do wear that were tight ( my fat pants ) now are comfortable to wear. I don't have to unbutton them after eating anymore! So I know this is working without having to step on the dreaded scale. Besides my exercise I try and do small things to add more exercise such as...taking the stairs instead of elevator, parking far away from the grocery store instead of right up front, and break your workouts into 2 or more segments. Sometimes its hard to give an hour of your time, but what about 30 min walk before work? What about walking outside at work on your break while eating your lunch? What about a quick 20 min walk after you eat dinner? I also will walk and try and hold my tummy in and also do this when driving and am waiting for a light to turn green. My neighbor who walks every day always holds her tummy in when walking. She has such great abs! Just some things to ponder and tricks you may all want to try too. Oh I also have a 5 pound weighted hoola hoop that is great for slimming down the waist area and firming up the tummy area. I used to do it every day for 10 mins and lost about 4 inches off my waist in a month. I need to start that back up again. I love reading all your ideas on food and exercise and have used many of your tricks you post. Thanks you everyone for your support. Sorry this turned into a small blog!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Just some things I was thinking today while on my treadmill. Why do we focus so much on the number on the scale or is it just me? I was very tempted to weigh myself today because I know I have lost weight. I can feel my clothes fitting better. I however know I can't get on that scale until the end of the month or I will blow it! I know when I am on track because I have clothes in my closet I can't fit into. Every few weeks I will take out those smaller clothes and try them on. I put them on today and I could actually get those pants over my *kitten*! They are not comfortable to wear yet, but I couldn't even get them pulled up before. My jeans I do wear that were tight ( my fat pants ) now are comfortable to wear. I don't have to unbutton them after eating anymore! So I know this is working without having to step on the dreaded scale. Besides my exercise I try and do small things to add more exercise such as...taking the stairs instead of elevator, parking far away from the grocery store instead of right up front, and break your workouts into 2 or more segments. Sometimes its hard to give an hour of your time, but what about 30 min walk before work? What about walking outside at work on your break while eating your lunch? What about a quick 20 min walk after you eat dinner? I also will walk and try and hold my tummy in and also do this when driving and am waiting for a light to turn green. My neighbor who walks every day always holds her tummy in when walking. She has such great abs! Just some things to ponder and tricks you may all want to try too. Oh I also have a 5 pound weighted hoola hoop that is great for slimming down the waist area and firming up the tummy area. I used to do it every day for 10 mins and lost about 4 inches off my waist in a month. I need to start that back up again. I love reading all your ideas on food and exercise and have used many of your tricks you post. Thanks you everyone for your support. Sorry this turned into a small blog!

I think we all have different things. It’s good that you know the scale is a trigger for you and have other ways to monitor your progress. I also agree that it’s great to include activity wherever possible.
    For me daily weighing is helpful as the record helps me track my hormonal fluctuations which I need to know so I can make weight for competitions (I compete in Jiu Jitsu). The number isn’t a big issue to me as long as it is trending down, which it is. My triggers are sweet and desserts etc. I deal with that but not keeping them in the house and when I do buy them, I only buy small portions for a treat. I have an active job and a busy training program so important aspects for me to watch are ensuring I get enough recovery time which must include yoga and stretching sessions. Oh, and if I don’t eat bananas regularly, I am likely to cramp at a key point in getting a submission. Just some factors that affect my journey. Everyone is different and part of the process is learning what works for you. Hearing from others can give you ideas to try, but it’s important to drop the things that don’t work for you.

Thanks for sharing some of the things you found work, hopefully both of our stories will help others in their journey.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Just some things I was thinking today while on my treadmill.

Congratulations on the clothes! It is a wonderful feeling to know the lifestyle changes you are incorporating are working. The UAC team calls those NSVs (Non-Scale Victories).

I love the idea of a weighted hoola hoop. What a great way to make exercise fun.

I weigh in every day. I think of the scale as a tool. It helps me keep on track and see the effects of my diet. I step on it knowing my weight is going to fluctuate.

Since I started my journey I constantly look for ways to incorporate movement. I step in place while washing dishes, make separate trips putting clothes away (by type), pace while on conference calls, etc. Honestly I do not like the word exercise - I prefer activity. I also find getting my workout routine done early in the morning works best for me. The rest of the day's activities are a bonus.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,027 Member
    The others are right about activity. It doesn’t have to be a big, long workout to do you good. 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there: it all adds up to calories burned. And there is the added bonus of your body continuing to burn those calories for a while after you stop exercising, so your 5 or 10 minutes is extended.

I walk during ad breaks on TV, (you can get a good 20 minutes exercise during a 1 hour programme) while waiting for the kettle to boil, etc.
  • GigiDoma
    Thanks girls for your response and also for your tricks! I am gonna start stepping in space while doing dishes and walking during commercials.
  • jules7890
    jules7890 Posts: 145 Member
    Fall is really here!! Rain and much cooler today. Happy to be back with logging. Anyone else having issues with Mobile access to Community & Groups? Still can't get on with my phone and it's updated, etc. Glad the desktop is finally working.

Yesterday, had a lot of good food choices and really upped my exercise with 5.44 miles walk. We beat the downpour and enjoyed lovely sun by the lake in town. Smart snacks.

Hope everyone is enjoying October. Fall leaves, brisk walks - whatever is your fancy :)
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Info for new-comers - covid news can be shared here (either situational or personal-relevance). In earlier months, when it was hard-hit situational all over world, we agreed to put such news in "spoiler" envelopes so that individuals could choose to avoid reading if feeling in "info-overload" situation.

My part of the world is starting its second wave
    We rate "Stage 1" as "almost complete lockdown; "Stage 2" was when patios and stores with curbside access could begin to open (with masks / social distancing / limited sized groups etc); "Stage 3" most opened yet - (with mandatory masks etc, but could include hairdressers, reduced capacity indoor restaurant seating etc)

We just moved back a step to "28 days at Stage 2+ " as second wave is happening. Gyms re-closed, but variations on properly spaced Yoga-in-the-park can still happen. indoor restaurant service closed again, but patios remain open. Drive-throughs (while masked) and delivery orders never closed.

Mandatory masks while in enclosed spaces was already in place and things where masks aren't removed and numbers limited (most stores for example - as they already have "max customers at a time limit" -size determined by floor-space) can remain open. But gatherings have been reduced in size again, and if a mask would need to be removed (eg dental appointments or to eat) they will be on hold again.

I am in a "currently red zone". For me personally, it won't mean much difference between what I was doing two weeks ago vs tomorrow - as I was still avoiding most of what just closed down again.

I am VERY lucky that I have a govt work-from-home job in a business line that was always "VERY low on the back to on-site priority list- if not right off the bottom of the list" ... yet never missed a beat when Stage 1lockdown started back in March. No-one in my immediate circle has been medically affected so far.

Gratitude List:

able to take lovely walks near my home
    steady income
    my "cardio-strategy-of-choice" for YEARS has been a mini-trampoline and a Wii-system exergame. It is ALWAYS fair-weather Springtime on "Rhythm Island" (cherry trees and tulip fields in bloom, people fishing off the dock and playing frizbee in the park .... ) no matter what the weather conditions outside my front door.
  • GigiDoma
    @BMcC9 Just curious, but where do you live?
  • BMcC9
    @BMcC9 Just curious, but where do you live?

Eastern Ontario Canada
  • BMcC9
    Thanks girls for your response and also for your tricks! I am gonna start stepping in space while doing dishes and walking during commercials.

I always found "walk while you watch" a very valuable strategy. and makes one feel quite virtuous for getting in the exercise without missing the favourite show ... as your stamina increases ... walk more during the show and make the commercials your break, or flexibility (or isometric) switch ....
  • BMcC9
    edited October 2020
    Two community threads with "ninja sneak-attack approach to calorie-burning" ideas (every little bit adds up over time):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10707575/not-quite-exercise-what-active-lifestyle-activities-do-you-enjoy-throughout-the-day#latest

Both are long-running, so some of the earlier ideas for "more steps in the office environment" may or may not apply ... but lots of great adaptable ideas.
  • BMcC9
    It's nearly my favourite UAC day of the month ... Non Scale Victory Day! (for those of you who have trouble focusing on anything BUT the idea of letting the scale be the major unit of measure ... take a read here: "Did you lose anything besides weight?"

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10800930/did-you-lose-anything-besides-weight#latest

It covers lots of perspectives, such as "self-defeting attitudes / bad lab numbers / aches and pains / wardrobes ..... taste-yen for certain foods ... " bound to give you ideas for when @RangerRickL ask you to "Tell us your NSV" on the 15th ....