Off-Topic Discussion

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    gewel321 wrote: »
    Took a spontaneous trip to Florida this week. After months of being at the hospital with all this COVID I needed a break.

Today I did something I have wanted to do for year and year but was always to afraid to do it. I rented a jet ski and sped around the lake for hours. It was so much fun and scary at the same time.

I will be purchasing one for myself when I get home!

That is on my list of things I want to do. For years I would go on vacation and see people doing it and wanted to try but I exceeded the weight limit. I have a trip coming up and I checked the pricing but it would take too much of the travel budget so I have to wait for another time.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    my bucket list of pipe dream things has an entry for horseback riding lessons if I can get down to the weight limit - the person I corresponded with last year had a limit of 175-180 lbs. I don't know of anyone else in the area giving lessons for adults.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    @bmeadows380 - THIS. I rode when I was younger and still competed through college, despite being around 220-230 lbs. My weight never had or caused any issues. I had to stop eventually because of the cost. When I looked to find a place for lessons again more recently, it seems everyone has a similar weight limit. Super disappointing, but maybe some day... That being said, keep on the lookout! There is no hard or fast rule that you can't ride horses at a higher weight. It depends on the horse and what you are doing, so keep your eyes open for any other opportunities! :smile:
  • NovusDies
    my bucket list of pipe dream things has an entry for horseback riding lessons if I can get down to the weight limit - the person I corresponded with last year had a limit of 175-180 lbs. I don't know of anyone else in the area giving lessons for adults.

It has been a long time since I was on a horse. I should add that to my list. The last time I rode the horse was screaming "No No! One at a time!!" and it tried to bite me. The latter part was true and it was also true that the horse was in physical pain with me back there so the ride was over as soon as it began.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member

Three of my high school girlfriends had 5 horses so I got to ride a lot...we rode English but I never fell in love with horseback riding....Riding again is definitely not on my “ bucket list “.... I wouldn’t mind riding a bike again and I would love to go on a zip line....from traveling I will have to say if I did zip line it would be in the USA and not some country miles from medical facilities!...when we were in Jamaica, our daughter climbed the falls in Ocho Rios and I was scared to death she would get hurt....people were slipping and sliding all over themselves....on second thought, maybe a ski lift would be safer than a zip line!
  • NovusDies

Three of my high school girlfriends had 5 horses so I got to ride a lot...we rode English but I never fell in love with horseback riding....Riding again is definitely not on my “ bucket list “.... I wouldn’t mind riding a bike again and I would love to go on a zip line....from traveling I will have to say if I did zip line it would be in the USA and not some country miles from medical facilities!...when we were in Jamaica, our daughter climbed the falls in Ocho Rios and I was scared to death she would get hurt....people were slipping and sliding all over themselves....on second thought, maybe a ski lift would be safer than a zip line!

The zip line is pretty safe and it is fun. The only downside is the stairs you need to climb at each tower.
  • conniewilkins56
    NovusDies wrote: »

The zip line is pretty safe and it is fun. The only downside is the stairs you need to climb at each tower.

Maybe I could catch a ride up!...
  • NovusDies

You might be able to talk someone into carrying you.
  • bmeadows380
    *laughs* zip lining is definitely NOT on my bucket list, no matter how small I get. I'm afraid of heights - it gets even worse when I'm on something that lets me sway around. Just like you'll never talk me into take a tram ride, either!
  • NovusDies
    *laughs* zip lining is definitely NOT on my bucket list, no matter how small I get. I'm afraid of heights - it gets even worse when I'm on something that lets me sway around. Just like you'll never talk me into take a tram ride, either!

You won't get any less afraid avoiding heights.
  • bmeadows380

You won't get any less afraid avoiding heights.

@NovusDies
    *laughs* I won't give myself a heart attack either!
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Blech, I dislike horses - I'm allergic. Zip lining is fun! I did it in Vegas a few years ago. I was nervous about the whole set up and falling but they strap you in and you sort of hang there for a few minutes. I felt like if it would hold me for the initially it will probably be fine the rest of the way. The best part is there was an elevator to the top!
  • conniewilkins56

You might be able to talk someone into carrying you.

I don’t think I could be carried lol...an elevator sounds good!....
    We owned a jet ski in the Keys but I only got on it once...the things in the ocean scare me worse than heights....
  • BordeauxBee
    BordeauxBee Posts: 69 Member

180lbs! Gee my goal weight is 200lbs. Maybe I could ride a Clydesdale 😄😄
  • I know how to ride but I haven't done it for years. Know how to saddle and unsaddle and curry the horse, too. Never learned to jump on a horse, but I don't feel a need to rectify that. (grin)

I guess what I want is to be able to do what I want to do without my body getting in the way. I don't want to have to spend the rest of my life trying to figure out if I am active this morning will I be in pain this evening, if I stand to do this will I have to sit tonight and miss out on something, etc. I just want to be able to go do things and not have a standing budget to worry about.

Wearing heels while doing some of it would be a plus, but if I never get to where I can wear heels again it's okay. I did do some pretty bad damage to the midfoot on my right side, so it may never be okay with heels even when I weigh half of what I did before.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,438 Member
    I guess what I want is to be able to do what I want to do without my body getting in the way. I don't want to have to spend the rest of my life trying to figure out if I am active this morning will I be in pain this evening, if I stand to do this will I have to sit tonight and miss out on something, etc. I just want to be able to go do things and not have a standing budget to worry about.
    THIS. I can do much more now than I could at my heaviest, or even 50 lbs ago, but there are so many things I still can't do because of my weight. Whether there are weight limits or flexibility/movement issues, I just hate that there are things I can't (or don't) do because of my size.
  • NovusDies
    THIS. I can do much more now than I could at my heaviest, or even 50 lbs ago, but there are so many things I still can't do because of my weight. Whether there are weight limits or flexibility/movement issues, I just hate that there are things I can't (or don't) do because of my size.

Flexibility is a big part of the equation for me. I am not going to really know my limitations until I get it more resolved. It is better but I am not going after it hard enough.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    @bmeadows380 that's hilarious! I remember when I was 6 or 7, I had taken a little baby doll to church and set it on top of the car as I was getting in to go home. Forgot it and realized it was missing when we got home, Mom drove us back to church to search the parking lot but we never found it. 20+ years later I still wonder what happened to that doll, but your story makes me think she took a ride and landed somewhere on the route home 😂