Favorite way to burn calories?

bebeisfit
bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
I like a lot of different things. I love my bike and ride nearly year round (I live in Chicago) unless there is snow on the ground or it's super cold - under 32 degrees, but I don't burn a ton of calories doing that as I don't go that far most days. But it brings me joy.

I also enjoy walking if I'm with someone. Currently doing a YouTube video every day for the last 10 days - weight lifting or general cardio. Yoga on occasion.

In my 40's I began running and I loved it. Since gaining a few pounds in my 50's, I fell off the running wagon and can't seem to get back into it. Not sure if it's my knees or the extra 20 pounds, but I am not comfortable running anymore. Boo.

Replies

• Iseulte
    Iseulte Posts: 55 Member
    I ran road races in my 40's but developed RA recently which put a stop to that. I still enjoy walking and weight lifting. Most of my exercise recently has been inconsistent. It helps when I can find time and energy to do it.
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Rowing, on water. (Started at age 46, after cancer treatment.)
    h7nymf0zp8ak.jpg

That lineup, from L to R, is people who are F-73, F-74, M-29 (!), and me in yellow, F-65.

We now have ice, because it's Winter. (Sigh!) No row on water. I'm rowing machining, which is Just. Not. The. Same.

Love seeing the boat! My daughter was on her college rowing team her freshman year. A great workout!
  • SavageMrsMoose
    I've been a runner for years and ran my last marathon in 2017, but I live at altitude and am struggling with the distance more than I used to. My husband gave me a Peloton a few years ago as a birthday gift and it has saved me during quarantine. I love to hike and ski, depending on the season. I've signed up for a half ironman in June as a way to have focus on something in the future, when life might be normal again, but I'm afraid to go to the indoor pool because of covid and I'm not sure if I can keep up the intense workout schedule either, but I fantasized about standing at a crowded race start line again.
  • ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Kettlebells and my new 10 pd mace! Loooove them!😁💪
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited December 2020
    Running. Also biking when I can be out of the traffic or overly busy bike paths.
    I've signed up for a half ironman in June as a way to have focus on something in the future, when life might be normal again, but I'm afraid to go to the indoor pool because of covid and I'm not sure if I can keep up the intense workout schedule either, but I fantasized about standing at a crowded race start line again.

That's exciting. I did a half ironman in 2015, and would love to do one again. (My performance wasn't quite what I'd hoped, and I was undertrained, probably, but I learned then that being a woman 45 or over in a small half ironman means you might be able to get an age-group trophy -- I came in third in the 45-49 age group and shockingly that meant I got one.) I'm not even sure if there are any pools open here now, and I'm not comfortable going to one, so no clue when I will be able to do that again, however.

I've let myself get distressingly out of running/biking shape (I reacted to covid by cocooning depressively in my house, not seizing the day to focus on fitness), so am thinking more of a year-long ramp up process with a few half marathons in the second part of the year and perhaps a marathon, so at least I should have some post-covid training time.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,251 Member
    Walking and yogs
  • runrmomma
    runrmomma Posts: 17 Member
    Running is my favorite, but illness and injuries have set me back in the past 12 months so I'm building base right now. My work schedule doesn't really allow for outdoor running this time of year (too much of a scaredy cat in the dark by my lonesome) so I invested in a treadmill last month. I also love bootcamp style classes but I'm working out at home now since gyms have been closed the majority of the year so I'm trying to find some online classes to incorporate into my treadmill running schedule for the winter.
  • runrmomma
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Rowing, on water. (Started at age 46, after cancer treatment.)
    h7nymf0zp8ak.jpg

That lineup, from L to R, is people who are F-73, F-74, M-29 (!), and me in yellow, F-65.

We now have ice, because it's Winter. (Sigh!) No row on water. I'm rowing machining, which is Just. Not. The. Same.

Love that! I would workout in nature all the time if I could!
  • runrmomma
    I've been a runner for years and ran my last marathon in 2017, but I live at altitude and am struggling with the distance more than I used to. My husband gave me a Peloton a few years ago as a birthday gift and it has saved me during quarantine. I love to hike and ski, depending on the season. I've signed up for a half ironman in June as a way to have focus on something in the future, when life might be normal again, but I'm afraid to go to the indoor pool because of covid and I'm not sure if I can keep up the intense workout schedule either, but I fantasized about standing at a crowded race start line again.

That's fantastic! I haven't run a marathon in a long time. The HM is more my jam now. :)
  • 1961Fowler
    1961Fowler Posts: 12 Member
    working out with weights. deadlifts, triceps, biceps..they make me feel strong!
  • SavageMrsMoose
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Running. Also biking when I can be out of the traffic or overly busy bike paths.

That's exciting. I did a half ironman in 2015, and would love to do one again. (My performance wasn't quite what I'd hoped, and I was undertrained, probably, but I learned then that being a woman 45 or over in a small half ironman means you might be able to get an age-group trophy -- I came in third in the 45-49 age group and shockingly that meant I got one.) I'm not even sure if there are any pools open here now, and I'm not comfortable going to one, so no clue when I will be able to do that again, however.

I've let myself get distressingly out of running/biking shape (I reacted to covid by cocooning depressively in my house, not seizing the day to focus on fitness), so am thinking more of a year-long ramp up process with a few half marathons in the second part of the year and perhaps a marathon, so at least I should have some post-covid training time.

Congrats on the trophy! That's amazing. It doesn't matter that it was small- everyone there was doing a half-ironman- a pretty tough group to start! I did one in 2003. I finished in the top half of my age group and was thrilled, but it was almost 20 years ago! We are on the same page. I hate biking in traffic and let covid and other life struggles get me down. Really ready for a fresh start.
  • SavageMrsMoose
    [ I haven't run a marathon in a long time. The HM is more my jam now. :)[/quote]

I changed my last race from a full to a half and of course, it was rescheduled. I just am not up to the 18 mile training runs right now. Maybe if I lose some weight it will help. I am going to run with my daughter, if the race ever happens. She will kick my butt but that's okay with me.

• WThyme
    WThyme Posts: 78 Member
    Walking and gardening. Starting to get into weight training.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,251 Member
    @Anabirgite I've been wanting to try pickleball but our rec centers are closed now. Is it hard?
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Anabirgite wrote: »
    Pickleball has been my calorie burn the last several months. I do weights several times a week at gym, need to to do spin more. Bike is put away for winter, personally can not ride below 50 degrees and overcast, impressive @bebeisfit, not too many miles a way from you and am a complete wimp if I think I will be cold riding. Was suppose to quit running several years ago, cheated and am paying price, my knees just can not handle, miss that- definitely could run in the 30 degrees loved to run. Procrastinating right now since working out at home today, but plan to do Essentrics Stretch, body pump and spin soon, making meatballs for a family dinner (son is coming home tonight) so need to work out now so can enjoy later.

Hi neighbor!

Riding in the cold is much easier when you have the right gear.

My friend gifted me a few things several years ago that make it possible. 'Wind' pants that go over my jeans are lightweight but really help me stay warm. And a baklava (I know thats not the name) but it helps keep my head warm. No riding for me if its raining, super windy or there's snow in the ground. I can do cold and sunny.

Many of my friends play pickleball and love it. I haven't ever been to a spin class..so intimidating.

And meatballs. Yum!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Anabirgite wrote: »
    Pickleball has been my calorie burn the last several months. I do weights several times a week at gym, need to to do spin more. Bike is put away for winter, personally can not ride below 50 degrees and overcast, impressive @bebeisfit, not too many miles a way from you and am a complete wimp if I think I will be cold riding. Was suppose to quit running several years ago, cheated and am paying price, my knees just can not handle, miss that- definitely could run in the 30 degrees loved to run. Procrastinating right now since working out at home today, but plan to do Essentrics Stretch, body pump and spin soon, making meatballs for a family dinner (son is coming home tonight) so need to work out now so can enjoy later.

Hi neighbor!

Riding in the cold is much easier when you have the right gear.

My friend gifted me a few things several years ago that make it possible. 'Wind' pants that go over my jeans are lightweight but really help me stay warm. And a baklava (I know thats not the name) but it helps keep my head warm. No riding for me if its raining, super windy or there's snow in the ground. I can do cold and sunny.

Many of my friends play pickleball and love it. I haven't ever been to a spin class..so intimidating.

And meatballs. Yum!

IMO, the fear factor for spin classes is waaaaayyyy off the charts, compared to the real thing. That commercial (was it from Planet Fitness?) where the students *hiss* at a woman for not working "hard enough"? Just no. Not a thing, at least not anywhere I've been.

If you have open gyms and feel comfortable going there, try it. A beginner class is available in some places, even. If you're a cyclist already, you'll have no problem at all.

I used to go twice a week to spin classes at my Y (started in my 50s, obese). Beginners were always welcomed, and not only the instructor (of which I had multiple) was encouraging, but also the other, more experienced students. The basic guidance was to just try to pedal through the whole class, at any pace/resistance that was doable. If someone could do some or all of the special stuff, great; but if it started to be A Bit Much, we would encourage them just to pedal at light resistance, seated, moderate cadence, and try to make it through the time. Nearly everyone was able to do so, and those who had to stop earlier were not criticized or shamed, but rather encouraged to try again when they felt up to it.

At my Y, the classes were very diverse in age, body size, fitness level, etc. Every single person there had been new at it sometime in the past, and the non-jerk people remember and empathize. (You don't wanna worry about jerks opinions anyway, amirite? 😉)

If you go, take water & a towel (unless your gym provides towels) and put them on the bike within reach. Go early, introduce yourself to the instructor, tell them you're new, ask for help with bike settings (they'll probably offer), and ask which bike to take (some regulars - not most - are protective of "their" bike 🤣; they won't be mean, but picking a different bike helps with friend-making 😉). Expect some saddle soreness after the first class or two (even if used to a regular bike), but it doesn't keep happening forever. (If you have padded bike shorts or a removable bike gel seat cover, wear/take them.)