Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - IRS sounds like a pain and then all those other tasks...ugh!
    @swensond19 - I have an Amazon problem too! That just sounds overwhelming to take it two girls so little. It’s sad all the way around for them.

Weight down 1 but not sure why. Not really doing much for it, but did ride and run today.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,040 Member
    Options
    Dad's will has my mom as the executor. She doesn't want to do it, so I talked to my lawyer yesterday. He said that it can be changed as long as everyone involved agrees and signs a form so stating. So, I talked to my brother last night. I don't think he wanted to do probate, but I was able to talk him into that. Then, when we talked about the executor, I told him he or I could do it. I was surprised when he said, "I'll do it." Then he asked what it involved, mostly paperwork, and he said he'd let me know for sure today...probably going to talk it over with his wife. I have been wanting him to take some responsibility for things, but for some reason this really makes me anxious. Maybe because his track record hasn't been so good. I know he can change and is trying to...maybe feeling a little guilty for not doing more/with dad. Also, this will involve me giving up some control. That sounds bad, but that was the hardest thing for me when John passed away. Things I couldn't do for myself required me to do them on someone else's timeline and, sometimes, differently from what John and I would have done. It was really hard to lose that "control" over my life. And, I also know that death is something I can't control and grief makes me feel like I am losing control over everything, so anything that I can hang onto helps. Hope that makes sense. We'll see what he says today. If he wants to, I will relinquish and hope for the best.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d - I also had that thought about Goober. Growing up we also had a cat who was very old and took off one night and never came back despite all of our searching. It was my brother's cat and I remember he was so despondent, sure she would come back one day. I hope your dd can take the loving from the other cat (bunny?).
    I am thinking about those little girls. It is a tough situation but hopefully there is someone younger who will take them in. I can't imagine taking that on either even as much as you feel bad and want to help them, I just couldn't. We have friend's whose son/dil took in 2 little girls a few years ago and adopted them last year. They are in their 30s and can't have kids so it worked out for everyone. The girls are adorable and have just blossomed in a happy loving home but they are a lot of work, more so than normal because of previous trauma and one has some pretty severe learning difficulties now.

@quilteryoyo - I do remember the issue with the IRS. It can be so frustrating. I think last summer I mentioned our issue years ago when dh responded to them as 'Dear Tax Receiver' after getting letters from them as Dear Taxpayer... lol
    Giving up control is an issue for me as well, especially when you think the other person will not do the best job at whatever it is. Are there time requirements for the executor paperwork that will result in an issue if your brother doesn't get it done? Is it something you could do together as co-executors so that way if he has issues you could still help (I know that doesn't help the relinquishing control part...)? Also a general question - why would you want to go through probate if you don't have too? In CA mostly you try not to have to go to probate if you can avoid it because it is expensive and very time consuming.

I have not weighed myself in a week or logged anything since Christmas Eve. I haven't not logged in a very long time, I even managed to log when we have been on vacation, even on a cruise! So it feels strange (giving up control???). I will weigh in and start logging again after the new year. I did read an article about women getting tied to measuring every little thing when we really do know what our bodies need without that level of detail.
    I went for a long walk yesterday, got soaked when it started to rain again and hurried home. Did not run but did walk fast. My leg, hamstring/glute was so sore last night. I took an alive before bed and it still woke me in the middle of the night. I did try to make a Telehealth appointment with my pcp for later in January and the 1st available was in late March! WTH! So I didn't make the appointment but asked to have her assistant see if they can fit me in somewhere. Nora is great and I have confidence she will find a place to squeeze me in before the end of March. I mean seriously, the appointment will be short. All I need is a referral...

What are you all doing for New Years?
    We are going to a virtual party... should be interesting
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo How about being co-executors? I "enjoyed" taking care of Alex's stuff, which wasn't much but I felt involved in his final decisions. It was therapeutic to an extent so if you need to be hands-on with it, do it. But with your upcoming surgery, it'll be good to have your brother handle things while you need to recover.

First thing this morning Dh wants the girls
    I said it feels like adding unmanageability to our home and was against it. DH is supposed to go back to work mid January which would mean daycare. Which doesn't seem ideal for two kids that have been in 3 different placements in the past few months and come from an unstable home life. OF course, I feel like a selfish heel. Of course, what about my school work, violin and cry-baby time when something hurts. Like today, my leg hurts. Can't imaging minding kids when my leg is so grumpy.

Covid update
    My tea tastes a little less like hot water this morning. Dh fixed turkey sausage yesterday and when I rubbed my nose, I could smell sausage for a second. yay! Beary's back feet smell like corn chips (I know that's bacteria) and I miss smelling his little corn chips. He always looks at me like I'm a nutter when I smell his feel LOL!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Posting and running, will be back to read soon.

Wright is stubbornly staying the same, but then I am running after a week off, and started lifting again after a month or more off.
    I miss calculated my run this morning, and ended up finish3my planned distance about 1.5k away from home oops. I was good and gently walked home. I'm not tempting fate.

Anyone done a camper van trip with 2 kids? I have 2 weeks off in April, and am contemplating a trip around the south island
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber My understanding is that probate is necessary in order to legally transfer the car, truck, and boat to anyone else...they were only in my dad's name. Also, they do the notice to creditor and after 4 months we aren't legally obligated to pay anything that hasn't been brought up by then. Otherwise, someone could show up in a couple of years and demand something. Plus, the land wasn't really dad's. His uncle willed it to dad's heirs, so it would stay in the family for another generation. So that adds a little bit of legality to it all. Anyway, it sounds like a good idea to me. I did it when John died because some of the assets were in his name only and I needed to get legal papers from his kids that they got what they "deserved." It's complicated.
    I remember the "Dear Tax Receiver" too. LOL
    I think I'd have a panic attack if I didn't weigh in for a week! Good for you.

@swenson19d Don't feel like a heel for not wanting to take on the responsibility of those girls. It's a big deal that shouldn't be rushed into lightly. If you aren't physically or emotionally or financially able to do that, then you don't need to. You have to think long term and what is actually best for them.
    Glad your taste is coming back. I know for some people, it takes a long time. It only took about 5 days for mom and dad (another reason why I thought dad was getting better and would beat it).

@Avidkeo Glad you were good and walked back after your distance miscalculation. I haven't gone on a camper van trip with two young girls, but I think it sounds like fun!

• swenson19d
    Options
    Dh and I talked about the kids again. We decided to move forward with it. Actually, I said, "let's get this over with" because it seemed futile to resist. But if it isn't working we can give them back, which isn't ideal but at least we aren't in it for 18 years plus college. So I have been rearranging a few things and Dh is going to have to move his office to an area in the bedroom which will be better as far as privacy anyway. DD complains occasionally that whoever DH is on the phone with is " really messed up" LOL, yup! But sure she'd rather put up with Dh than 2 kids. ugh. I have a headache already. It'll be fine. Perhaps it'll all fall through before placement. They've been in 3 homes in the past 2 months. That can't be good. "yay" for doing the right thing?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Is this a permanent placement or just until mom gets herself together? I hope it all works out. Those ages can be a hand full, but it's a fun age too.
  • ddmom0811
    Options
    @swenson19d - wow, you are brave! Wondering the same as @quilteryoyo, is this just while mom is in recovery? What does DD think of it? 3 homes in the past 2 months, just makes me want to cry for them. Poor little things.

@shanaber - wow, no weighing for a week! Good for you! I've weighed and not liked the results.
    @quiteryoyo - I don't know much about probate or any of the executor stuff, but I am the executor for 3 different people, so I guess I will one day. (mom and two aunts).

At the condo there is a beach bonfire tonight at 6pm, right when it gets dark. Socially distance bonfire and bring yourself a chair and drink the sign says. DH doesn't want to go but we are. DS and DIL and grandbabies are coming over tomorrow for 2 nights so I'll have a 2 year old here too.

It is a relaxing week so far and I've been getting ready for a class I teach online starting next week and also taking a bunch of classes with Coursera in data analytics which is fun to me!
  • ddmom0811
    Options
    I have become quite addicted to exercise, of the run/lift/cycle varieties.
    I came across this article and read it thinking it would say to do what I'm doing, and all would be good. But, what I am getting out of it right now, is that I am one of the extreme exercisers. I don't think I'm doing it to "recapture youth", it's more about staying healthy.
    https://www.walkaboutsaga.com/stop-aging-so-fast-in-your-middle-years/

Oh well, everything in moderation, including moderation.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Read the article. I think he was just saying to not stress about missed workouts or not doing exactly what you had planned because that just adds stress which isn't good for you and can negate the workout. I too think I am exercising to stay healthy and not to recapture youth. I think we are both doing awesome. :wink: BTW, I think the socially distanced bonfire sounds like fun.

I did talk to my brother and we decided to be co-executors. It makes sense since I will be out of commission for a while and then, after I can get out and about again, if there is something he isn't available for, I can do it. Helps me to not feel out of control.

I was also able to get a few things off of my list today. I set up caller ID for mom on her landline. They haven't had it and at the very least she will know who she is talking to, even if she can't hear all they say. I also set up a time for them to come install her TTY phone - 6 Jan. And I ordered her a Jitterbug smartphone. I think she will be able to use it and will be able to text and receive pictures of the great grandkids that she can actually see. We will have 30 days for her to try it out. I hope she likes it. We should get it in a couple of business days, so that's good.

I called the IRS and was on hold for an hour and then find out that some of their systems are down, so they couldn't access the needed information to help me. I have to call back on Monday.

I also helped mom get wood on the porch, hung up a bird feeder our neighbor bought her for Christmas, and gave Socks his first dose of antibiotic. I'm going back down later for dose #2.

It's been a busy day, but I feel it's been productive. I did give myself time for a mile walk back in the fields where I rant and cry.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Oh, and I made some phone calls about a bill my cousin got....well, not exactly a bill. I got a notice that Ballad Health had sent his account to a collection agency. Trouble is, he shouldn't have gotten a bill from Ballad Health. As far as I know, he was never in their care. On the date of service, he was in the nursing home here in town. I tried to call them to see if anything had happened that day, but the person I need to talk to wasn't there. I called the collection agency and Ballad Health, but they won't talk to me because they don't have copies of my POA. So, I am having to try to get that to them so I can at least figure out what he is being billed for. When Ballad Health first took over the hospitals here, they were notorious for sending bills to collection before the person ever got a bill from the hospital. Guess it hasn't gotten any better, even though I haven't heard of it happening lately.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    Oh @swenson19d I think that is going to be really tough. I am sure they need some stability but when they haven't had it for a while (or at all) I think they will be challenging everything. The other issue is going to be dealing with their mom over a longer term, especially if she is not really ready to get clean and into recovery. I hope it works out for all of you. Did you work it out so that you can continue with your studies?
    Really glad you are getting your sense of taste back too!

@quilteryoyo that makes sense on the probate. I knew there had to be reasons for it just have never come across any that would make it necessary.

@Avidkeo - I have never van camped at all but did take 12-14 3rd graders tent camping quite a few times when dd was in Girl Scouts. Also camped a lot (for months at a time during summers) with my family as a kid. I know it is different when you are the parent but I think the most important thing is to plan and have contingencies for when things don't go to plan. My mom always had lots of activities (hiking, swimming and playing in the river, fishing, collecting and identifying leaves, flowers, berries, etc., and crafting projects with whatever was at hand) and then things for when it rained for days unexpectedly... We did this also with the GS camps and involved the girls in all parts of it. Mom's biggest complaint was managing the meals and cleanup and for GS we had the girls do most of the meals and all the cleanup. I loved it and have wonderful memories of it from experiencing it as a kid as well as an adult with the GS.

So this morning I went to get my hair color done (one-one outside with masks) and once the color was on my doctor's office called that they had a cancellation for a Telehealth call in 10 mins. I told her I really couldn't but she said the doctor was running about 40 mins behind. So it worked out that I got everything rinsed out and in my car and within a few minutes the doctor came on 😊 I was a mess with my dripping hair but we had a good call. She thinks it may be sciatica and not hamstring tendonitis but wants to get some x-rays to rule that out. Strange though that I have no other pain in my back. I have no idea what sciatic pain feels like but I did not think it was like what I have but who knows. She also asked if I was regularly stretching, doing yoga, etc. and I answered honestly that I had been but hadn't been consistent and when she asked why not I said because I was lazy 😂 Her response was that most of the times these are things of our own doing and making it worse. So my prescription for now is Aleve or Motrin 2xday, heat in the morning followed by stretching/yoga for a minimum of 20 mins and icing it at night for the next week. She will call me after she sees the X-rays and determines who I need to see. If PT she will create the referral but doesn't want me to go for a while because 'things are so really, really bad'.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Glad you got to telemed with your doctor. Sounds like a sound plan. I hope the pain reliever and stretching helps over the next week.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @swenson19d Is this a permanent placement or just until mom gets herself together? I hope it all works out. Those ages can be a hand full, but it's a fun age too.

yes, it is until mom get's life together. I asked how long and of course they can't say exactly, seems to be months to hopefully not longer than a year. I warned DH I was not going to be a single parent again. This is his adventure and I'll help, but he's the one without kids.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @shanaber my husband’s sciatica feels like numbness down the side of his thigh, frequently no pain at all and no symptoms in his back. Nerve pain can be really weird and pop up in distant places from where the problem is.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d I'm glad, for your sake, that it isn't long term. I once wanted to be a Foster Parent, but my husband knew me too well and knew how hard it would be for me to give them "back" when the time came. So, I never did. The whole situation is just heart breaking for all involved.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @shanaber Glad you didn't have to wait on the appointment! That's great. Overstretching can exacerbate the sciatic nerve. My left sciatic is always angry. Mine is from the hamstring attachment to my foot. It is usually a burning sensation.

I can almost smell
    DH put a frozen peach pie in the microwave and I swear I smell pinto beans. Not exactly peach but I am happy to be smelling anything! uh, the bean smell is a but much now.

We got Dh's office moved into the bedroom nook. He said that it is very nice and he likes it. I painstakingly wrangled all his cables. A printer, internet, a large monitor, 2 laptops, his DragonSpeak (because he can't type and has poor vision), he has 100 cables everywhere, that was a feat. Bear loves the newness of it. The spare bedroom is clean. I just need to go through the closet, where Alex's stuff is. Then Dh can buy bedroom stuff. I am on notice with my amazon purchases, I did buy outlet covers though. Oh well. He can get it all, I made a list. LOL!

@quilteryoyo Dh and I talked about fostering when we were trying to have a kid. He was against raising another person's kid. I guess these girls are somewhat family in his mind. I think they were calling him Grandpa; which is hilarious. I figured it was a manipulation tactic by the mother to keep him invested and offering financial support. I don't think I'll get too attached. I like my cats and my violin.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were foster parents. It is definitely something that you don’t really know what you are getting into until it happens. Our daughter had been abused and had some issues as a result. When an abused kid acts out, it’s a real trick to handle it. We were younger and I wish I could go back and do some things over with the wisdom I have today. But I don’t wish that situation on my older self, raising kids takes too much energy! @swenson19d I can’t imagine suddenly having a 2 year old. But sometimes you just gotta do what feels right to you.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    My husband and I were foster parents. It is definitely something that you don’t really know what you are getting into until it happens. Our daughter had been abused and had some issues as a result. When an abused kid acts out, it’s a real trick to handle it. We were younger and I wish I could go back and do some things over with the wisdom I have today. But I don’t wish that situation on my older self, raising kids takes too much energy! @swenson19d I can’t imagine suddenly having a 2 year old. But sometimes you just gotta do what feels right to you.

This instills instant regret. Whatever have I agreed to?
    DH seems to think we are getting a puppy. Of course, it could all fall through. He just told me the 6-year-old was in counseling. Cmon. I think it may be similar to having a hyena in the house. Least my kids are grown and I just have to watch out for the cats and dogs and hope the oldest isn't ... crazy??? seems harsh, but you get it. I told DH he needs to find out more about the kids and their mental state.