MFP not sinking no matter what I do. Any advice?

Replies

• krazijaanu
    krazijaanu Posts: 1 Member
    There is an active issue. MFP is specifically recommending that we not disconnect and reconnect to attempt to resolve it. You're just adding load to the system at this point and slowing it down for everyone.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044563091-Extended-Sync-Server-and-Fitbit-Issues-Starting-6-5

I am having this issue and my only remedy is to unlink and relink. Otherwise, what is the point of this data if I can't see it in realtime. Why do icare 2 days or 3 days after what my excercise calories were?
  • This sort of makes me feel better. I honestly thought I was doing something wrong or there was something wrong with my phone. Seems like it's a persistent little issue. Hopefully they can fix it soon.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Confirm MFP app still has setting for Step Source set to Fitbit.

Are your meal total calories showing up in Fitbit?

Yes, my StepSource is set to Fitbit, which it has been since I bought my first FitBit 5 years ago! However, I notice that the calories from MFP aren't showing up in Fitbit, which is interesting. So obviously, the two apps aren't talking to each other. Also, I have an Iphone, not a Samsung, which some folks mentioned as causing problems.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    rosebette wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    Confirm MFP app still has setting for Step Source set to Fitbit.

Are your meal total calories showing up in Fitbit?

Yes, my StepSource is set to Fitbit, which it has been since I bought my first FitBit 5 years ago! However, I notice that the calories from MFP aren't showing up in Fitbit, which is interesting. So obviously, the two apps aren't talking to each other. Also, I have an Iphone, not a Samsung, which some folks mentioned as causing problems.

Well, the apps don't talk to each other really, the accounts kept on servers send data to each other.

The apps actually talk to their own servers holding the accounts.

That step source setting has been seen to change for many, especially after an app update - it forgets what it was.

If there is no info showing up in Fitbit for meal calorie totals, that's a tad beyond the issue of steps and calorie totals not being applied to your MFP account.
    Fitbit is still sending the info, it's a backlog coming in.

Usually there is not a matching backlog going out though.

This probably won't help for you if nothing is being sent to Fitbit, but can't hurt to try.
    Because that Step source setting is only about what is coming in, not what is going out between linked accounts.

But change the Step Source to nothing, no tracking. Save out.
    Sign out of app, really close it.
    Check your web account and same setting and confirm it was changed to Don't track.
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/step_trackers

Change setting back to Fitbit on web account.
    Open App back up, sign-in, confirm the setting is back correct.

Some systems benefit from changing the visual setting to match what is occurring.
    And then putting it back where you want it.

This is not the same is disconnecting accounts, and reconnecting, which requires all the new syncing packets to go back and forth and leaves orphaned sync requests out there associated to your account and causing problems later.
  • rosebette
    So I just tried this. Selected to Not Track Steps, then logged out of MFP, then Logged back in and chose Fitbit to track steps. Still no steps or calories from Fitbit in MFP.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Been over a week for me....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    krazijaanu wrote: »
    There is an active issue. MFP is specifically recommending that we not disconnect and reconnect to attempt to resolve it. You're just adding load to the system at this point and slowing it down for everyone.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044563091-Extended-Sync-Server-and-Fitbit-Issues-Starting-6-5

I am having this issue and my only remedy is to unlink and relink. Otherwise, what is the point of this data if I can't see it in realtime. Why do icare 2 days or 3 days after what my excercise calories were?

What's the point of anything that is broken and being fixed?

It isn't MFP's intention that this not work. It's literally something that they're working on.

They've asked that people not unlink and relink because that just increases the traffic load overall and will slow down recovery for everyone.

You can't really do the opposite of what MFP is suggesting and then get salty when things aren't fixed quickly enough for you. You're slowing down the recovery when you unlink and relink.

It's not ideal, but you can still see your exercise calories and get a rough idea of how many more you need to add to your day.

For example, I know I maintain at 1,460 calories. Once I see I'm burning more than that in a day, I know those are my extras. If my goal was to lose, I could also base it off of that calorie goal. Again, not ideal, but it's not like this information is being lost.
  • rosebette
    Mine is finally working. My IPhone just had an update as did Fitbit. I actually unlinked MFP from the Fitbit side then reinstalled and it worked.
  • rosebette
    I spoke too soon because today it’s subtracting my exercise calories from the food I get to eat so a 200 calorie workout gets me an 800 calorie food budget
  • heybales
    I spoke too soon because today it’s subtracting my exercise calories from the food I get to eat so a 200 calorie workout gets me an 800 calorie food budget

Don't log workouts on MFP.

Otherwise just make a wall post about them for friends list to see.

When using Fitbit it just forces another sync process from MFP to Fitbit to occur, and then Fitbit back to MFP.
    Talk about doubling your opportunity for an issue.

Right now - delete the workout.

It's subtracting the workout because it assumes the daily calorie burn coming from Fitbit (it is Fitbit, right, not the iPhone as step source?) will already contain those calories, and normally it would so to prevent doubling up - subtract is done.

In this case of sync issues - no daily calorie burn sent (or partial incomplete) that contains them, so....
  • rosebette
    Still issues with MFP syncing my Fitbit steps and calories. Basically it displays 0 steps and calories unless I connect and disconnect. So what I'm doing after I do my walks and workouts and disconnecting and reconnecting to get it to record my steps and exercise calories. Otherwise, the number is 0. We shouldn't have to be doing this all day long - it used to record this stuff automatically.
  • rosebette
    Fitbit and MFP STILL not syncing properly. Today it actually subtracted calories burned from my Fitbit from my calorie allowance so I allegedly get to eat 879 calories today even though MFP isn’t supposed to let you eat under 1000. I still have to disconnect and connect at least once a day to get any kind of sync. When is MFP going to fix this?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Fitbit and MFP STILL not syncing properly. Today it actually subtracted calories burned from my Fitbit from my calorie allowance so I allegedly get to eat 879 calories today even though MFP isn’t supposed to let you eat under 1000. I still have to disconnect and connect at least once a day to get any kind of sync. When is MFP going to fix this?

Maybe you should contact there? There is no universal issue that they're working on right now, so they're probably not working on ANYTHING. If you have issues with your individual account, it seems like it would be most effective to contact them directly.
  • sawilkinson
    sawilkinson Posts: 1 Member
    I have done all the suggestions as well. It syncs about 15 minutes after I disconnect and reconnect my fitbit on the website and then it stops working again the next day. I've sent support tickets and I just get told that they are aware of the issue and they are working on it. It's very frustrating
  • tamreneemfp
    tamreneemfp Posts: 7 Member
    I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting and it won't work. Very very frustrating! My Fitbit is syncing fine on the site but not MFP. They really need to fix this issue.
  • heybales
    I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting and it won't work. Very very frustrating! My Fitbit is syncing fine on the site but not MFP. They really need to fix this issue.

Are your meal totals showing up on Fitbit?

Because with the 1000's that do work without issue, it means there is something specific in the cases that don't work. The whole ability isn't broken, something account or location is.
  • Moarrein
    Moarrein Posts: 3,087 Member
    I also have a problem with MFP not syncing to Fitbit.
    Recently I use this hack to solve the problem:
    I log a minimum physical activity on MFP (like 1 min. walk). It usually forces the app to sync.
    I've seen this advise in MFP help section some time ago. It's not perfect but it works most of the time.
  • SweetW1ll
    SweetW1ll Posts: 18 Member
    I'm having this same issue? Could this have something to do with daylight savings that just recently happened? I see in the official post about sync to make sure timezones are the same between fitbit & MFP. I just checked the settings for both & I have both as Eastern Time (US & Canada) but b/c it's currently DST FitBit says GMT-4 & MFP says GMT-5
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    mine quit syncing on Saturday and hasn't since. But the whole site has been wonky the last couple days so I just figure it's that