Mission Slimpossible - February 2021 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,912 Member
    Options
    BECK DIET SOLUTION POST

Day 11 question: Do you agree that learning to tell the difference between hunger, desire, and craving will make it easier for you to stick to your diet? Will you do this task? If not, tell us why.

Answer: Yes I do agree that it will make it easier to stick to my LIFESTYLE change. Rating my hunger is a matter of remembering to do it: last night, I found myself halfway through dinner when I remembered. I will do it mostly in my head, I don't know how effective that will be, maybe I should make a chart like the one in the book. I am going to play it by ear.

Dear 12 question: Is this an exercise that you will do? If so, please tell us how your experience with hunger felt and what insights did you gain. If you aren’t doing this exercise, please tell us why not? Do you fear hunger? Are you already hunger adapted and know how to handle it?

Answer: I don't think I will do this. It sounds like torture lol. I don't do well with not eating lunch, I get crabby and sometimes get a headache. I do fear hunger. I know what hunger feels like and, to some extent, don't feel like I need to do this exercise.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    PW 1/23:218.4
    Check in weight (2/2/2021): 219.0
    Check in weight (2/9/2021):217.8
    Check in weight (2/16/2021):
    Check in weight (2/23):
  • GabiV125
    GabiV125 Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Username: GabiV125
    Check in day: Wednesday
    PW 130
    CW 130
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,621 Member
    Options
    @raleighgirl09 I like that advice. It is all small stuff! Even though it doesn't feel like it at the time. Perspective is a powerful thing!

@AustinRuadhain Thank you. My parents were away and dropped in for a quick visit on their way home yesterday evening so we actually got to wish her a happy birthday in person and give her the gift. She did love it!
    Stay strong on the raisin front!!

@TeresaW1020 It's funny, real hunger I can ignore or delay. It's those non-hungry cravings that are harder to ignore! Glad you could drop those pesky travel pounds quickly - I always retain a bunch of water when I travel, too!

@leonadixon Great loss this week!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm having a lot of feelings about yesterday. Things did not go to plan, and yet somehow worked out ok. I had planned to make tacos for dinner, but because my parents dropped in right at the time I should have been cooking them, we ended up ordering takeout instead. My whole evening was out of kilter, so I didn't do my planned workout either - but I had already ridden my bike in the morning and taken a walk during the day. I feel like I should be disappointed in myself for not doing the exercise and not cooking the dinner, but I still met my exercise goal for the day and I still stayed under on calories. So I'm not sure what I have to be upset with myself about, which makes me feel guilty for not feeling how I think I should feel? Confusing. I'm closing the door on yesterday and opening up for today, which will be better. And I will cook the tacos!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    he1xjth4sr2a.png
    Goals for February:
    Sleep: 68.4/193 hours (average 6.8 hours) - AT RISK
    Days below 1,960 calories: 5/10 - MUST TRY HARDER
    Exercise: 238/660 minutes (average 24 mins) - ON TRACK
    Meditation: 4/12 sessions - ON TRACK
    Updated to 10/02/2021
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 681 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    raleighgirl09
    Wednesday check in

Whew - made it through. Long afternoon in training and back to back meetings all morning (b2b, as we lovingly say), many on Zoom- living in @AustinRuadhain land with that! My schedule should be more normal after this week - last week and this week are super meeting heavy (Zoom) and that means little else gets done. They still assign me action items, though, imagine that!!! =>

Only 2 pending documents on my loan app - some 4.5 hours in on doing the app, going to multiple websites to download required documentation, which means having to password reset them all because, well - PASSWORDS. Anyone else hate them? 32 documents so far and we have to repeat this in September to close on the house.

@TeresaW1020 the new house will also be in Raleigh about 6 or 7 miles from where we are now and our son is going to rent the one we have now and then buy it in a few years. The new 'hood is right on the greenway (miles and miles of lovely greenway space as part of the Mountains to Sea trail), and right where we get on is also a kayak launch onto the river. This is the river many of our long-time Slims will recall I often talk about walking along. We have always hated that we had to drive a car to go take that walk and now we'll just go walk to it. It's a lovely planned community that is on the greenway, walkable, bikeable and has a small commercial area that includes a brewery. .4 miles to the greenway and .4 miles to the brewery - choices! :D We have been looking for over a year, targeting the greenway as a location....anywhere along it. I don't know if all areas of the country are this way but Raleigh is INSANE for real estate. They get bought about as quick as they are on the market so we had to jump through hoops to get it.

Nothing to complain about really (despite my whining) because not that long ago I didn't have a full time job and the hunt had been suspended. Life is good, just wearying at the moment. Next week is better. B)
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Howdy, Slimsters!

Beck Diet Check-in

DAY 11: Monitor Your Hunger
    What was I thinking? This is too many checkins for me. Four checkins per meal was more than I could manage today. I did pay more attention, and that was helpful.

DAY 12: Practice Hunger Tolerance
    I have been playing with extending my fasting window for a couple of years. I have been letting my overnight fasting window shrink of late, and I will work on that. In general, though, I have gotteng good at tolerating hunger.

@padjoetho
    Thanks for sharing what you have been doing. I, too, love lots of veggies.

@raleighgirl09
    I am right there with you on it only taking a day to establish a habit, for really tasty things.

@TeresaW1020
    The four hours is only on Tuesdays, thank heavens. I did better this week at managing cooking and eating and feeding the family this Tuesday, which made me happy.

@trooworld
    How did I miss knowing it was pizza day? I'll have to make a pizza for The Teenager! Or maybe get home one of the cauliflower crust ones if I make it to Costco tomorrow. Hmm!

@leonadixon
    Woohoo! Congrats on the great weigh-in!

@Gabiv125
    Hurray for holding steady this week!

@TwistedSassette
    Hurray for getting to see your parents and for your mom liking her gift!
    real hunger I can ignore or delay. It's those non-hungry cravings that are harder to ignore!
    I think this is a seriously great thing to notice! They are different, aren't they!

@raleighgirl09
    Congrats on making it through your packed day!
    Yay to the new house!
    Passwords - We all love to hate them, yes? I kinda like LastPass, whose security practices my IT husband approves. LastPass nudges me to change passwords so they don't get old, which is nice. Of course, there's a password for LastPass, too.
    Hang in there! I love that you are seeing the positive, even if it is a wearying week!

OK, off to platform step, as I want to snag thatgreen checkmark on the February Habit Tracker!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    d251mirgdozo.jpg

DAY 13 - Overcome Cravings
    You know from successfully dieting that cravings usually diminish after a few weeks. To weaken the intensity and reduce cravings, you have to stop giving into them!

Do this:
    As you go through your day pay close attention to what you are craving and why? Read the following techniques and adopt the ones that will work best for you.

Mindset Techniques: Do this when you have a craving.
    1. Label it—tell yourself that what you are feeling is just a craving and while uncomfortable it's not hunger and it’s NOT an emergency.
    2. Stand Firm and don’t give yourself a choice—Tell yourself no! saying no will build your resistant muscle. Ask yourself: “Is giving in to this craving worth the momentary pleasure I’ll get from eating it? How will giving in undermine my confidence?”
    3. Imagine giving in to the craving—Visualize yourself giving in and how exactly you will feel that you once again let the craving control your behavior. Ask yourself, “Is it worth it?”
    4. Remind yourself of your “Why”—Read your Response card on why you want to lose weight. You will not attain your weight loss and all its benefits if you continue to give in to your cravings. You also run the risk of regaining the weight you have lost.
    Behavioral Techniques: If the above techniques aren’t working try the ones below.
    1. Distance yourself from the food you crave—remove the food or yourself.
    2. Drink a no- or low-calorie beverage—Thirst can be mistaken for hunger.
    3. Relax—practice relaxation techniques.
    4. Distract yourself—call a friend, take a walk, read a book, clean out a closet. Staying busy can help the craving go away.

Today’s Question:
    How do your cravings hinder your weight loss? What tips and techniques have you found work best for you?

• trooworld
    Options
    @TwistedSassette I understand how you feel but I think that you are being hard on yourself to be disappointed in yourself. You did great, as you have said you met your both of your goals. But I feel uncomfortable when things don't go as planned, too. I think it's an out-of-control feeling in my case. I don't like not feeling in control. I hope today is better and that you enjoy the tacos!

@raleighgirl09 Good luck with the loan. Real estate is crazy in Southern California as well. Has been for a while now. We had to offer above the asking price and move very quickly to get our condo in 2019.

@AustinRuadhain I only knew because I saw something on Instagram lol! You can celebrate pizza any day, it's good like that! ;)

Check-in:
    Weigh-in is tomorrow and of course, my weight is up for the past few days. I'm disappointed and hope that I see a whoosh tomorrow at the scale but I have a feeling I will not: I was too close to going over my points for the week and that is never good. I'm eating healthy foods, just too much of them.

BECK DIET SOLUTION POST:

Day 13 Question: How do your cravings hinder your weight loss? What tips and techniques have you found work best for you?

Cravings are not as much of an issue since we moved away from being near a grocery store. We used to live right NEXT to a major store and that was bad. Any time I had a craving, I would walk next door and get the item. Now, if I have a craving, I would have to get in the car and drive 5 minutes away to a store. It's very rare that I do that, it's not worth it. When I am having a craving, I tend to distract myself with something, surfing the internet, cleaning, something to get my mind off of the food.

My phrase for the year: CHANGE HAPPENS
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    @trooworld I am hoping for a whoosh too but we both know that the scale will be what it will be. We keep on doing the work and the results will come. I agree that living next door to a grocery store would be hard when dealing with cravings. I once lived next door to Dairy Queen! I’m sure you can imagine out that went. :D

@raleighgirl09 The area that you are moving to sounds incredible and perfect for you!! I don’t have any green spaces, but I do have a really great brewery that is about .4 miles or less from me. :D

@TwistedSassette I think you got upset with yourself because you had a plan that you thought you were going to do and then you had to change it on the fly. BUT like you said you still got in your exercise and stayed under calories, so you need to give yourself lots of credit for being able to be flexible without going off your plan. That is a big win! :)

Hi Team! Today, I had to go into my weekly staff meeting. I told them that I was going to take the cleaning job at the church, and they are all thrilled and know that I will do a MUCH better job than what we have been putting up with. I will probably start next week and plan to clean on Thursday and Friday. I like having these jobs where I make my own schedule and don’t have anyone looking over my shoulder. Plus, it will be good exercise! :grin:

Beck Diet Solution Question of the Day
    Day 13: Cravings—Cravings for sure have hindered my weight loss. I know calling myself a sugar/carb addict might sound a bit extreme, but I know myself and I know what addiction feels like and sugar has always been a real struggle for me. Last month, when I did the no sugar challenge, I did some of the mindset techniques listed and they worked! I totally did #2 and I stood firm in my decision to not touch sugar or alcohol. I did #3 and visualized how I would feel if I gave in and I continually reminded myself of why I wanted to lose weight. I also did some of the behavioral techniques as well. I removed sugar from my home, and I kept myself busy and focused on the goal that I had set.

So, did I conquer the addiction monster? NOT even close!! I went to Florida and was surrounded by junk food, candy, fast food, wedding food, and alcohol. I immediately knew that the moment I started indulging I wasn’t going to stop. I came home with a 5 lb. gain and feeling lethargic and bloated. What is the lesson that I learned? Simple, I can’t go off plan like that and expect any other result than what I had in Florida. Fortunately, for me, that is not the way I live my everyday life. My home isn’t filled with junk food that is highly palatable and full of empty calories. Someday I may be at a point where that kind of food won’t even phase or tempt me. I long for that day. But in the meantime, all I can do is forgive myself and begin again. I at least know the road that I need to get back on and that is a huge blessing.

2021 Focus Word: TRANSFORMATION
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    raleighgirl09
    Thursday check in (and a happy BD shout out to my honey bunny, Franklin!! (who won't see this!!))

Hey-ho YO! A super quick fly in. Water was down yesterday and today, too, if I don't get 3 more cups in - jury's out. Steps, only need 700 more for 11,000 and have to put laundry away - seems doable. Have not logged food yet, going to do that in a bit but I had a cereal/walk/sugar thingy (yes - dumb at this point because it's happened a few times now and I know the issue) so there was some quick wolfing but maaaaaybe it didn't go over 1400 - problem is, no logging yet and there was no pre-logging so I did not set up for success - jury's out on this one, too. All loan docs done except 1 and it's a quick scan and upload once I am there with it on Sunday evening.

And last but NOT least - I forgot to weigh in this morning, will do tomorrow. I feel pretty good, seems my jeans are fitting really well and maybe even a little looser. I dunno, numbers wise, but mostly I feel like I'm doing well with food and food choices. Coming off of the hard line of not even one cal over 1240 is helping, I'm now mostly in my (self-stated) cal range of 1250-1400 a day. Let's face it, folks, that is not a lot of food/calories when it is consistent.

Love to ya's - stay the course.

Maria
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Howdy, Slimsters!

I have had an okay day. I got the blues a bit, as we had an ice storm. My two favorite trees on our property (bad planning on my part?) are two old cedars, and we lost big chunks of both to the weight of the ice on the needles.
    Things could be worse, though, as much of our neighborhood is without power tonight, doubtless ice-related.

@raleighgirl09
    Happy Birthday to Franklin! I hope you had fun making sure he felt appreciated on his big day!
    Congrats on the loan docs!
    You sound like you are doing great.

@TeresaW1020
    This is so smart:
    Simple, I can’t go off plan like that and expect any other result than what I had in Florida. Fortunately, for me, that is not the way I live my everyday life.
    Vacations happen, and you are back at work after that time off.

I am still working on my green check marks for the day. I got in a walk, but came scuttling in when my fingers started to get too cold, so I am off to get in my steps before bed. More soon!
  • anido1
    anido1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Username: anido1
    Check in day: Monday
    PW 153
    CW 132
  • padjoetho
    padjoetho Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Starting weight 96.1kg
    Weigh in this week: 96.6kg

As said i didn't do much this week but will be back next week.

Patrick
  • trooworld
    Options
    Usesrname: Trooworld
    Check in day: Friday
    PW: 224.4
    CW: 226
    LTD: 22
  • trooworld
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 Truer words have not been spoken! I had a disappointing but not too surprising visit to the scale. Next week will be better. Oh my, living next door to a Dairy Queen wouldn't be good for anyone! lol

@AustinRuadhain I'm sorry you have/had the blues. It would be hard dealing with ice storms, I haven't had to deal with that in many years. I'm sorry your trees got damaged. <3

My phrase for the year: CHANGE HAPPENS
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    Username:TeresaW1020
    Weigh in week:  Week 2
    Weigh in day: Friday
    PW: 187.5
    CW: 189.2
    LTD: 75.2
    Month: +1.0
  • TeresaW1020
    edited February 2021
    Options
    z57ak8zki7p8.jpg

DAY 14 PLAN FOR TOMORROW

Today we plan for Tomorrow! Writing and monitoring what you will eat each day is very important because it will help you to do the following:
    1. Think about how you’re going to get and prepare your food.
    2. Help you remember what your supposed to eat and when.
    3. Eliminate spontaneous eating.
    4. Tolerate occasional hunger and cravings.
    5. Make decisions about eating before you encounter triggers.

Do this:
    Write up a food plan that includes EVERYTHING you’re going to eat tomorrow. Then, tomorrow, you’ll check off whatever you eat that’s on the plan and write down any food you eat that isn’t on the plan. After you write out you plan – prep the meals, make sure you have no excuses for tomorrow.

Today’s Question:
    What are your thoughts on making a food plan and tracking it? Are you a pre-tracking, tracking after you eat, or not tracking at all? Do you struggle with meal planning?
  • davors19
    davors19 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Username:davors19
    Weigh in day: Friday

PW: 267
    CW: 269
    LTD: 31
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    @raleighgirl09 Happy birthday, Franklin!! I’m glad that you have eased up on staying to a strict calorie number. Having a range is much better because it will keep your body guessing and it will allow you to eat more when you are hungrier and less when your not. Learning to eat to satiety should be our focus, in my opinion. ;)

@AustinRuadhain Ohh that is a shame about your trees being damaged in the ice storm. Yayy that you didn’t lose power! :)

@trooworld Yup, we will both do better next week! <3

Hello team! Well, I was a little disappointed to have a gain this week, which is my first this year. But, it could have been much higher and for that, I’m giving myself credit for getting back on track and I will lose next week. I did a good workout this morning and a little housework. So, today will be catching up on my Bible study and finishing my current jigsaw puzzle.

Beck Diet Solution Question of the Day
    Day 14: Plan for tomorrow—I always plan my dinners a week at a time and since I never eat breakfast and stick mostly to the same type of foods for when I do eat lunch, I can easily plan the day before. Although, I believe in flexibility so it will be written in pencil! :D I don’t count calories unless I’m purposely doing a 500-calorie day, and even then, I rarely bother. There is just too much current research that calorie counting doesn’t work. In my opinion, it’s more important to seek after high-quality food and learn to eat to satiety.

2021 Focus Word: TRANSFORMATION

6ys0aa74224z.jpg

Hey Team! I REALLY would like your thoughts on me continuing to do these Beck Diet Solution questions every day. At first, I thought more of you would be participating, but now it looks like it's just been @trooworld and myself. It is a lot of work to put the questions in writing, which I certainly don't mind doing if most of you are enjoying reading what is posted and it's giving you something to consider in your own weight loss journey. But I also don't want to be a distraction from our team and our normal discussion. So, if you all think that it's too much then I would rather drop it and continue on my own. I hope you will feel comfortable giving me your honest feedback. You can even private message me if you prefer. I will wait to see what your responses are and make a decision by Monday. Thank you!! <3
This discussion has been closed.