What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• Winner_in_Life
    Winner_in_Life Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I increased my calorie goal from 1200 to 1500 starting from today. Want to check if I'll still be losing weight. Will report in a week.
  • thabit11
    thabit11 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @cnorman100 @KCJen At first, I was the same as cnorman100, just focusing on eating 1,200, whether they are healthy or not. But later on, I noticed the protein ratio was lower than what my body needs, so I made adjustments, it's hard to fulfill but I manage sometimes. Now I'm working on my irons, I don't seem to eat enought of it, my hair is falling more than normal, guess four months of dieting were hard on my hair. I'm planning next month to increase my calory intake to 1,500, this will help for sure to eat more nutritious meals. So I'm also taking baby steps 😄
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I don't follow anything related to MFP suggestions. I have my macros set for 40/30/30 mix of carbs, fat, protein plus 25g fiber. In the past I tracked sugar out of curiosity but it is rare that I exceed suggested limits (or even come close) as I like savory more than sweet and rarely eat dessert type foods. I find most of it overly sweet. Currently I'm tracking cholesterol on the advice of my nutritionist who suggested I limit eggs to twice a week and only one at a time. I'm not actually on board with that idea but agreed to give it a try since I'm trying to improve inflammation markers due to my last set of labs. I don't think a lot of the MFP entries include that information so it's probably not even accurate.

• thabit11
    Options
    @LazyBlondeChef I have high cholesterol, because of my weight, so I do avoid eggs and any food that increase cholesterol, so it's a little hard to meet my protein's need. And I try my best to not use any amount of oils or butters while cooking.
  • fractaltiger
    fractaltiger Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    cnorman100 wrote: »
    Question: Is anyone tailoring their eating to meet the daily nutritional guidelines provided by MFP, or customized that part of MFP to a specific diet? If so, is it helping you reach your goals (whatever they may be)? I'm pretty new to MFP, so I'm focused on my calorie budget and exercise, which is probably good for now. Baby steps.

@cnorman100
    I tried to do this but found it didn’t work for me. I want a balanced diet so I started tracking nutrients to see what I was eating. When I looked at what MFP said was off I did research. I found their defaults to be out of date. For me, the iron and potassium goals were too high. So much that I could almost never reach them. After research, I adjusted them and can reach them now. I’ll double check those with my doctor the next time I see him. I also found that I function better with more antioxidants so I take in more vitamin C for example.

For now I use some as maximums and others as minimums while adjusting for some personal goals.

I wish MFP let you set minimum and maximum. I also wish MFP had a nutritionist tweak their defaults to follow research. They show some things as mg goals and others as percentages which is maddening.
  • cnorman100
    cnorman100 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    thabit11 wrote: »
    @cnorman100 @KCJen At first, I was the same as cnorman100, just focusing on eating 1,200, whether they are healthy or not. But later on, I noticed the protein ratio was lower than what my body needs, so I made adjustments, it's hard to fulfill but I manage sometimes. Now I'm working on my irons, I don't seem to eat enought of it, my hair is falling more than normal, guess four months of dieting were hard on my hair. I'm planning next month to increase my calory intake to 1,500, this will help for sure to eat more nutritious meals. So I'm also taking baby steps 😄

Thanks for sharing. I do try to eat healthy, but I'm not meeting the carb/protein/fat percentages that MFP shows. I'm actually a little surprised that I am not meeting the protein goal, because I feel like I focus my meals on protein. I like your approach, though, not trying to do everything at once and observing your overall health to make tweaks. I recently purchased some organic chicken livers to make pate (something new), which is high in iron if you're interested. :)
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,394 Member
    Options
    back again ... I have been lazy for logging. So I am out of the Winner's Circle already - but still working towards Championship. Caught up on my reading here - see that we are more into food and Food Macro/Micro fine-tuning than books at the moment (just as well - I need to get my nose out of books and back to doing less sedentary activities when not "at work")

Great to see you back @KCJen !! I answered the PM you sent me!
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    good to see you too @BMcC9!
  • KCJen
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I am just starting back into UAC and trying to get healthy. Right now I will be doing good to just track food and track my exercise daily on a consistent daily routine. I think once I develop healthy habits again, with more veggies and fruit and fewer processed-foods and drive-thru, then I can look at the breakdowns MFP suggests and fine-tune it for me. Right now I am focused on developing the habit to track and get my daily calories back in a normal healthy range, instead of mindless stress eating that I have been doing for the past 2 months.

I looked at what I have set in MFP and my calorie goal is 1450. On my spreadsheet, I have that calorie range set as 1,300 to 1,450.
  • cnorman100
    cnorman100 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    back again ... I have been lazy for logging. So I am out of the Winner's Circle already - but still working towards Championship. Caught up on my reading here - see that we are more into food and Food Macro/Micro fine-tuning than books at the moment (just as well - I need to get my nose out of books and back to doing less sedentary activities when not "at work")

Great to see you back @KCJen !! I answered the PM you sent me!

Sorry, did I crash the book club?
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    @cnorman100 - Not at all! Just random book chatter in the what’s on your mind thread 🤓
  • KCJen
    Options
    I spent the morning reading articles from MFP and Fitbit on how to calculate heart rate, heart rate reserve, resting heart rates, and I got to do the math!! When I finally did the math to understand calorie counting, that is when everything snapped into place for me. Which has happened with the heart rate articles as well. Luckily, the Fitbit will do all the work for me, and I can just watch the tiny screen when I am on my treadmill. This Fitbit Inspire 2 is turning out to be a good purchase that will serve its purpose.

I was curious if anyone watches their heart rate and tries to stay in certain heart rate zones like fat burning, cardio, etc when exercising? I am thinking the fat burn zone is where I need to work up to. I am still learning about the heart rate zones so I would like to hear from everyone since there is a wealth of information in the UAC group and the UAC members! :)
  • thabit11
    Options
    @cnorman100 This seems interesting!! I will look it up for sure, thanks 😊

@KCJen I also check my heart rates when exercising, but my watch , which is a different brand, tells me different information, such as relaxed walk, light walk, intensive walk, aerobic walk... etc. I also would like to hear more about it, and I'll look it up as well 😚.
  • KCJen
    edited March 2021
    Options
    thabit11 wrote: »
    @cnorman100 This seems interesting!! I will look it up for sure, thanks 😊

@KCJen I also check my heart rates when exercising, but my watch , which is a different brand, tells me different information, such as relaxed walk, light walk, intensive walk, aerobic walk... etc. I also would like to hear more about it, and I'll look it up as well 😚.

Here is the MFP article I read https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-target-your-heart-rate-get-into-the-fat-burning-zone/
  • fractaltiger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    KCJen wrote: »
    I was curious if anyone watches their heart rate and tries to stay in certain heart rate zones like fat burning, cardio, etc when exercising? I am thinking the fat burn zone is where I need to work up to. I am still learning about the heart rate zones so I would like to hear from everyone since there is a wealth of information in the UAC group and the UAC members! :)

@KCJen
    I have worked out to heart rate zones and it does work. You need a good base to start from though (several weeks or months of non targeted light cardio) to get the most from it. The base needed varies by person, fitness level, and age, etc.

If you want to do this some fitness/heart rate monitors do it better than others. Things like measuring fitness level, having alarms that tell you when you are below or over the targeted range, etc. It is worth the research while you build your base and maybe talking to a pro.

• Winner_in_Life
    Options
    just one quote"First, although it might sound better for weight loss to burn a higher percentage of fat, the real-world effect of that intensity on your body composition is next to nil. “The idea that all of a sudden when you hit this zone the fat is just being sucked out of your system is simplistic,” says Christopher Breen, an exercise physiologist and online coach in Long Island. “That completely ignores that losing or maintaining weight is basically a matter of calories in versus calories out.”
  • Winner_in_Life
    Options
    I like this totally: "If the key determinant of weight loss were the percentage of fat you’re burning, then your best bet would be to remain still, because that’s when you’re burning the highest percentage of fat relative to carbohydrates." ;)
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    I don't monitor my heart rate as I usually walk at an 18.4 mile pace. Sometimes I speed up to 18.1, 17.? and 17 (the settings on my treadmill). But usually not for very long as it generally causes my knees to hurt especially in colder weather. When the weather turns hot I might be able to go a little bit faster.
  • fractaltiger
    Options

@Winner_in_Life @KCJen
    Yeah, I read that article and it is right. However, heart rate zone training isn't about finding the magic fat burning heart rate. In fact, there is no heart rate zone labeled as fat burning. The zones are warm-up/recovery, base, aerobic endurance, anaerobic capacity, etc.

Heart rate zone training is using your heart rate zones to improve cardio and muscular endurance/performance. When I was using this, I was bicycling and wanted to be able to do long rides (3 to 5 hours). I started at just 5 miles and heart rate training. By the end, I would go on 30 to 50 mile rides on a weekend day and do shorter 10 mile rides during the week. I followed guidelines I found in books and online, targeted heart rate zones, made sure I had rest days, etc. I found the right tools that let me monitor the zones and set up a plan that let me work in all the zones.

I was truly athletic then. I was a little bit overweight by the charts but at my most fit and smallest size. It was muscle weight. One person tried to get me into amateur bicycling races for my age group. LOL That was 25 years ago.

I have not decided yet if I will do that kind of training in my health journey at this time. But what I learned then has helped me now and the fact that my watch tracks heart rate while I workout lets me learn what is normal for me right now.

These days I just workout and do not target heart rate zones because my goals start with heal an injury and lose weight. If I notice a heart rate that is too high, I slack off a bit to get it back down.

To lose weight, you drop calories and exercise. I spent the month of December doing light cardio to build up to being able to do an hour a day without aggravating my injury if I wanted to. Then I started counting and limiting calories until I felt good with my weight, calories, and fitness level. So this month I added core strength exercises and walking outdoors some. I do not expect to lose weight and might gain a little. But I will feel better at the end of the month than I did at the beginning and might lose inches.

It's all about balance.