Do You Identify as a Food Addict?

1235»

Replies

• Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    Yep! I realized I was an addict when I met my hubby. Hardest thing to over come....you can't just stop eating. Food is fuel food is fuel. Eat because of hunger not because of feeling. My mantra on a daily basis. I've gotten it under control in the past I can do it again. Let my mom and the move get me down and I got into baaaaaaad habits again!! Time to change!!!
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    @chey7suey21 I learned many years ago when I showed up at an eating disorder group when I was 19 that alcoholism and binge-eating and bulimia are, in many ways, the "same" disorder. I was not surprised to read that your alcoholic husband was able to identify your eating disorder.
  • JoanSloan1
    JoanSloan1 Posts: 16 Member
    Not sure if this post is still running. I do have a eating disorder but I have traits from a few of them. So I am not specific
  • bbycakes1963
    bbycakes1963 Posts: 25 Member
    I'm not new to MFP or to this specific group, but I've been away a long time. Yes I think I am a food addict and a stress eater. I eat to get through the day, promising myself that if I do a few hours of work I'll reward myself with a bag of cookies or chips. Once I start with those kinds of foods I have a hard time stopping and more often than not I'll eat the whole bag without even really realizing it. I'm also a closet eater. I rarely eat much in front of other people because it embarrasses me to think that they might find me gross. Weird thing is that I often have trouble getting enough calories on a healthy meal plan. As someone said earlier, celery and lettuce just don't trigger the same behavior. Because of the binge issue I find I'm better off just avoiding trigger foods completely. My problem is that doesn't work for long. I'm motivated for a week or two and then.....as you said, "life" gets in the way.
  • jmtuttle854
    jmtuttle854 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi all, I thought I’d leave the website for Food Addicts Anonymous here. I am not a member, but have attended another 12-show program and bee sober for over 5 years. I have a close friend who has been sober through FA for over a decade. FA seems less well-known than OA.
    http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/
  • mayancoh
    mayancoh Posts: 56 Member
    Yes! I was attending OA for the last few years but took a break lately.
  • catgirl2289
    catgirl2289 Posts: 24 Member
    I am definitely a food addict. I totally crave unhealthy foods and use them to cope. sometimes the craving is beyond overpowering. i am recovered alcoholic and a recovered vaper. Food is so much harder because i don't want to completely cut out all treats but I am so bad at moderating.
  • Be_theBest_Me
    I am definitely a food addict. I totally crave unhealthy foods and use them to cope. sometimes the craving is beyond overpowering. i am recovered alcoholic and a recovered vaper. Food is so much harder because i don't want to completely cut out all treats but I am so bad at moderating.

It is so much harder to recover from food addiction than anything else. All other things you can walk away....stay away. Food is a necessity! Once you do gain control it feels so good. On my way from a 30 lbs relapse!! Getting back in a RYTHUM!!
  • pipwickens
    pipwickens Posts: 1 Member
    I agree! I have overcome addictions to nicotine and drugs, but the combination of sugar/fat has been a struggle all of my life. Some say eat intuitively, in moderation. I try but once I start eating sugar it is really hard to stop. Others say refrain from eating your trigger foods or follow strict guidelines. This only works for a while until I feel too deprived to continue. My problem is that I love food and want to eat what I want but also look and feel good. That isn’t working for me either!
  • Be_theBest_Me
    pipwickens wrote: »
    I agree! I have overcome addictions to nicotine and drugs, but the combination of sugar/fat has been a struggle all of my life. Some say eat intuitively, in moderation. I try but once I start eating sugar it is really hard to stop. Others say refrain from eating your trigger foods or follow strict guidelines. This only works for a while until I feel too deprived to continue. My problem is that I love food and want to eat what I want but also look and feel good. That isn’t working for me either!

Gotta find a balance. Something that works for you!! I can't cut out all the sugar either or I'll just snap and beat someone down for their last Oreo!! Hahaha I usually have at least 1 cheat day a week. Sometimes 2!!! 5 days on 2 days off still gives me progress. Slow and steady wins the race!!
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Just wanted to chime in: I started this thread as ladyzherra but recently changed my account. If anyone wants to add me as a friend, my account name is now theswandark.
  • carolhemma087
    carolhemma087 Posts: 16 Member
    I'm 100% of a food addict. Have been since I was a teenager. I would hide food anytime I could. Sweets was my worst addiction growing up. When I became a adult I would even hide food in the trunk of my car to not have to share or get caught.
    That has lead to a soda addiction also.
    I have finally made the dissicion to break the old bad habits. I don't hide food anymore like I use to. I do have days when I have candy. Only because I have learned the more I avoid it the harder I fall when I would cave into it. So half a hershey's bar is better than the old two or three whole bars at a time.
    I'm slowly giving up soda an learning to drink water.
  • DebyS137
    DebyS137 Posts: 4,389 Member
    I most definitely see myself as a food addict ... when my emotions have become overwhelmed
    its as if I am subconsciously building an armor suit of protection around myself... Now that I have
    come to realize this... It helps me limit My consumption when I am emotional...

Now I see myself more as a SUGAR ADDICT... Once I give myself permission to have Sweets
    I find I can NOT Stop... So ... for me... I have to treat sugar as any Addiction... Just Say NO

I find I am ok with small portions of sugar in foods... Its sweets like... pastries candies etc...