Juicy July!

Options
Carla_wfpb
Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,338 Member
A fun new thread title for July and a nod to Magic's juicing :)

Still struggling with food, and I realized it is likely in large part to reduced activity lately. Now that I've realized / remembered that being lazy leads to huge food struggles, I'm ramping back up with exercise. Just walks for now, maybe interspersed with some slow interval jogging when I'm on the treadmill.

Did some wool dyeing in my studio this morning. Feels good to be back in there.

That's all folks! Hope everyone is doing well.

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,970 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting things started for July, Carla! Looking back at your last post in June, love that yarn. I like oranges and browns and greens. Hope you use up all your cherries. That's too funny about all the meats and cheeses you received by mistake. Glad it could go to someone who could use it.

Realized today I seem to be managing my stress better lately. I have been keeping up with my mindfulness and yoga even if I don't get any other exercise. My yoga is not a workout really. I have a beginning yoga book and I just pick poses at random and do them for a little bit. It's more about working out the kinks and stretching than working out. But it's helping.

The last room to be done, the family room, is on my contractor's radar for mid-July. Thank goodness. I'm really tired of having my house in chaos and really really tired of spending money.

Today was not bad not perfect...
    B - nope
    L - watermelon and a vega bar
    D - will be a wrap with veggies and lots of lettuce, spicy brown mustard, more watermelon

The watermelon I got this week is so good. For two days I have been eating so much of it I don't want my other food! LOL

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I hope your family room is complete soon, Mihani. Constantly mid-renno sucks!

I keep waking up with mega headaches. I gave in and took 2 advil this morning and got rid of today's headache. I'm wondering if it is still my food. I have been fasting so far today and probably won't eat until dinner. Then no snacks afterwards and hopefully a headache free day tomorrow.

I dyed more fiber today, most of it Romney wool.
    iptu6geb8x69.png
    (a Romney sheep)
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,826 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Will catch up, I promise. Been busy with fam...and now work. Love the nod, Carla! <3

Pushing component salad and juices at work...I gotta tell you, that Chelsae Mae is my spirit girl...ahhhhh, to be that young with that much knowledge of healthy plant based eating and zest for life...she has totally stolen my heart!

Her latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pse6JPUKMPk

Love you guys! Later, my sweet peas.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Magic, glad you are getting in some family time! Thanks for the you tube link. I know you've mentioned Chelsea Mae before, but with the video right in front of my face, I checked her out and am now subscribed.

Yesterday I attained my goal of fasting until dinner and not snacking afterwards. Bingo. No morning headache. I had broccoli, onions, bell peppers and mushrooms with some toasted cashews on top and a bit of tamari along with a bit of baked tofu.

I'll see how I feel this afternoon. I might have a smoothie, or I might stick it out until 4pm again for dinner. I found a recipe for roasted veggie fajitas with a cashew cheese sauce. I'm doing the veggies over fresh greens and going light on the 'queso'. If it turns out good I'll post the recipe.

My first batch of dyed fiber turned out 'meh.' It isn't as vibrant as I was aiming for, but it is good to have some less intense colors in my stash for blending. This fiber is from Polworth sheep.

r1bb7fun0b8g.jpg

efl25wj5ilm8.png
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi all! I am taking today off to do not much of anything. I got up early, because I always do. Had toast with a little PB and some tea, read some, went back to bed and napped for 3 hours!

I am revisiting Atomic Habits. Read it a while back on Austin's recommendation. I need more discipline in my habits and time management. I need to set some boundaries on how much time I spend working and make time for exercise, cooking, and doing fun or relaxing things and especially getting outside to soak up some vitamin D.

My goal is to start hitting the treadmill in the mornings. I just can't count on what time I will get out of the office and am often too tired, stressed and hungry when I get home to get on there. Figuring on watching some inspiring videos while I treadmill so I will add Chelsea Mae to the list thanks to Magic's recommendation.

Carla, those colors look like a bowl of rainbow sherbet. Glad you are getting the headaches under control. I've been struggling with those myself lately, and definitely think it is the salty snacky stuff that I can't seem to stay away from... I will go a few days of perfect then suddenly I'm diving into the pretzels or crackers again. I've started keeping fruit out on a platter in the kitchen at the office which does help encourage me to go for fruit instead. I don't keep junky stuff around the house so it's not a temptation, although I've been known to go on ezekiel toast binges.

Really enjoying cantaloupe, watermelon, peaches and nectarines this summer.

Magic, so glad you are getting lots of time to spend with the family and especially the baby!

Missing Austin and Hawksgirl... hope you are doing well.

Since I slept so long and missed lunch I will have an early dinner. Just going to have a wrap tonight. Tomorrow I will do some batch cooking including stir-fry, baked tofu, greens with mushrooms and onions, salad dressing.

Planning to work tomorrow and Monday here at home, and also clean up my office. It's such a mess all the time with all the paper. Time to get it cleaned up and organized again. I got a new scanner and printer to replace my POS all in one machine so I need to get those set up. Hopefully I can start keeping up better on scanning and shredding so the paper won't pile up so much. I need to call in a shredding company to pick up the couple dozen boxes of paper that are stacked in the garage but want to get the office cleaned up first so I am getting rid of as much as possible. I have a good shredder but the paper got ahead of me over the past few years.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I am going to revisit Atomic Habits too, Mihani. Thanks for the reminder. I'm glad you took a day off and got in some reading and napping. I feel better every time you let us know that you're taking some time for yourself. I've also been enjoying cantaloupe and peaches this year. And cherries. So many cherries. Sweet dark cherries from the store, bing and rainier on our trees, and yesterday pie cherries from our tree.

So yesterday I fell off the wagon. Joe made a cherry pie from our tree which is so loaded down with cherries it is ridiculous. This pie he made...it was divine. I couldn't resist. And I don't blame him for making it because fresh cherries from the tree are only around for a week or two. He felt bad though and we're prepping and freezing the rest for giving away and/or baking into pies when guests come over. Anyway, I had 2 slices of this pie! But afterwards I hopped on the treadmill and worked out for an hour, alternating a slow jog and walking 'hills.' Lots of sweat and I got in some good reading time when I wasn't jogging. ... hey speaking of which, @Mihani did you get your treadmill shelf yet?

Still in the fiber dyeing zone. I repeated some of the colors that didn't turn out vibrantly enough and have some others ready to rinse and dry too.
    oaen0jkrxhgv.jpg
    uwzrvkzgz8qc.jpg
  • Mihani
    Options
    Found my Panda Planner while clearing my office up yesterday so I'm going to start using that again along with re-reading Atomic Habits. I'm a few chapters into it now.

I rearranged a lot in my office and made it so my desktop area is clear other than monitors, keyboard, mouse and speakers. The speakers don't work though. I fiddled with them for a while but they are really old and haven't worked since I got the new computer so I think it's time to visit Amazon for new speakers. The only other thing I think I need to do with my office is add some overhead lighting. I just have lamps and a task light, but my old eyes could use some overhead light at night. It looks so much brighter without all the clutter on the desktop surface. Clutter is distracting. The printer, scanner, pencil cup, stapler, paper clip holder, etc. are all on a printer stand that I already had and wasn't using, that I set cornered by my chair so it's easy to reach.

Carla, love those colors! I did get the treadmill shelf and it is sweet! I like being able to read without having to hold my kindle. Or I can play dumb computer games like solitaire or bubble witch on the tablet that makes the time go faster. Mmmmm... cherry pie (Homer drool!)

I didn't get any cooking done yesterday so I will make my stir-fry and some brown rice tonight, along with the baked tofu. I love making bowls lately, with a grain, lots of veggies and greens, tofu or beans, and a sauce or dressing. Other than that just working and doing laundry.

B - ezekiel toast topped with peach slices
    L - (planned) big ol' salad with ginger miso dressing
    D - (planned) stir-fry with brown rice, an apple (ran out of watermelon waaah!)

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,593 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    God afternoon!

I am back from summer camp and working to shift back into healthier eating! Camp was great, and I managed to stay vegetarian and mostly vegan, but aside from that, it was not the healthiest food choices. I have no great pictures I can share, but the experience was amazing.

Mihani -- thanks for the reminder about Panda Planners. I am off to dig mine out.
    And hearing about your rearranged office is super inspiring!

I have been doing some decluttering work. I am also planning to pressure wash our siding and driveway later this week. I am definitely feeling a call to clean up, rearrange and catch up!

Carla - I am agog at your crafting. Those colors look amazing!

Magic - I will go take a look at Chelsea Mae. She has a nice smile, for sure!

Food - I am doing a few days of Longo's Fasting Mimicking Diet (with Dr F food choices) as a reset.
    B - coffee and a little cashew milk
    L - turnip greens, red kidney beans, an apple
    S - an apple, ginger-turmeric-pepper-green tea kombucha
    D (planned) - big salad (including onions & cooked mushrooms for my GBOMBS); blueberries; avocado slice
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Welcome back Austin! We've missed you around here! Glad you had a great time at summer camp. I'll have to look up that Longo's diet. I've been doing intermittent fasting - trying to keep my food window between 11 am and 5 pm.

A nice declutter of the office always feels so good, doesn't it Mihani. I say this now as I'm cramped at my office keyboard surrounded by fiber and yarn LOL. I just get into the zone and everything else falls to the wayside. I'll have to dig myself at least partially out of this before I get buried. I get in a decent amount of extra reading time on the treadmill and if I'm really into it, I'll stay on longer in order to keep reading. (a bit of a deal I made with myself to keep exercising if I want to keep reading).

Food yesterday: blueberry smoothie around 11 am, half slice of cherry pie followed by a guilt workout (!), then a fajita bowl w/ pinto beans, roasted veggies and cashew queso over fresh greens for dinner. Today we're out of pie thank goodness. I'm going t see if we can scrounge up ingredients for a sushi bowl for dinner, though I think I'll have to sub out the cabbage this time.

Here's my spinning setup when I'm outside, though tbh it is usually either too sunny or windy to be as comfortable as spinning inside, but I go for it anyway sometimes. Including some of the yarn I've spun from the fiber I've been dyeing.
    6orek7tfulxe.jpg
    5cnzgf47u0pi.jpg
  • tlmindo
    tlmindo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    It's been a while....but I did not fall off the face of the earth.
    Let's see....to summarize, since my last post in January:
    Had a routine mammo (Jan 18); had a diagnostic mammo (Jan 25); a biopsy (Jan 26); a lumpectomy/sentinel node biopsy (Feb 23); 24 radiation treatments (Mar 24-Apr27); and then started hormone therapy for 5 years (Arimidex).
    It was stage 1/grade 3, 1.2cm, ER+/HER2-. Caught it early and my prognosis is excellent, but holy crap-what an unexpected whirlwind! And just a tad distracting.
    But - FU Cancer! You picked the wrong *kitten* to mess with!
    ANYWHO.....
    I pretty much maintained my HCLF meals, but didn't lose anything during most of that.
    We finally took a COVID-2020 postponed, and clearly much needed, trip to Sedona & an overnight to THE Canyon the week after Rad was completed, early May. It was great to get away and have that all behind me and relax. VERY glad we made it before that heat wave!
    I had made a couple of soft attempts to really get gung-ho and think I am now officially back on a groove. All in all I am down about 13lbs since Jan 1, 2021. I am also trying to up my activity level.
    I am kicking off the 14 day LeanAndClean plan (High Carb Hannah) to really get myself back on track. I need the regimen of a plan like this right now so I don't have to overthink meals.
    I will be going back through some of the posts to see how you all a doing, but I couldn't help but notice the bright colors of wool! They are beautiful!
    Funny - Chelsea Mae recently started showing up in my YouTube feed, too!
    So, I hope to be hanging out here a little more often. Glad to be back!
    B- Berry Oatmeal
    L- Taco Salad Bowl
    D- Pizza Fries
    Lot of white tea & water.
  • hawksgirl229
    hawksgirl229 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!!!!!
    I've been reading all posts but it's been a busy couple of months..My mom had lots of doctors appointments (all routine, nothing serious). But all her doctors are an hour drive, some require labs and she needs a transport chair because of not being steady on her feet..Those all take about half of the day.. Then I have her errands, meal preparation, laundry etc.. Next my husband is currently having surgery (waiting now). He has a detached rotatator cuff and is having a knee scope to repair a tear. We've been scrambling to tie up loose ends since it will be quite a while before he can use his arm..Lots of therapy scheduled to rehab both things..With my menu, I do the same thing with eating..Some days being better than others🤪. I have kept my workouts consistent. I have been doing alot of walks on our forest preserve paths and yard work in the afternoon. I finally stepped on a scale and have lost 5lbs..Hoping to get a few more off..Definitely keeping busy has kept my munchies ( mostly away)..
    I hope everyone had a safe Fourth of July and found some time to relax!!!!
    @tlmindo Hope you continue to do well and your trip sounded soooo nice!!!!
    Looking forward to seeing what's new with everyone and I love seeing the menu's..So many yummy things you girls prepare!!!!!🍄
  • Mihani
    Options
    Wow, Austin, hawksgirl and tlmindo all back! Jiggity! Good to see you all.

Good grief, hawksgirl. You need a vacation for sure. Hope all goes well for your husband. 'Grats on your weight loss.

tlmindo... wow! Definitely have had an eventful time. I am glad to hear that prognosis is excellent and sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

Austin, summer camp sounds fun! I am glad you are back. You always inspire me with your positive attitude. I bookmarked and will take a look at Longo's.

Carla, I want to come sit on your patio! That looks like a lovely place to spin, at least when the weather is cooperating. I often make the same deals with myself for reading or binge watching shows. Only allowed on the treadmill.

Magic, hope you are enjoying lots of time with family.

Now I'm just wondering how Bisky is doing in Japan. Hope she checks in soon.

Busy busy busy with work and very stressed, but working hard to keep it in check and practice my mindfulness. I hate to admit that I am allowing way too many snacky salty things into my life again. :(

Today...
    B - oats with mixed berries, ground chia/flax seeds mix (my new favorite thing), turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon
    L - Dr. McDougall soup and too many dang pretzels
    D - leftover stir-fry with cous cous, steamed greens, baked tofu, and will use some of my miso ginger dressing as a sauce

My lettuce this week went bad really fast so no salad tonight. :(

I forget sometimes how much I like cous cous. It's so fun and quick to make, and it's kind of cute too.

I'm noticing a trend, that I only go off on snacking at the office. I know it is stress eating. I need to make sure I go for fruit or cut veggies instead. Making a resolution.
  • tlmindo
    Options
    Thank you for the positive thoughts, sending just as much back to everyone.
    Decluttering seems to be a common theme of late. I've been trying to make some dents, too. I have a pick up scheduled for July & Aug by Lupus and a Vets organization. Clothing, household stuff, whatever they will take! Our current plan is to retire in about 3 years, and move to NH. My thoughts are to start the decluttering now! I've been following a Capsule Wardrobe for a few years now, so there are clothes to get rid of. My 27 y/o, married son still has clothing in his closet he approved to be donated. They are expecting my 1st grand child (a girl!) next month and I'm sure the extra room for visiting will be welcomed. I am taking a hard look at knick-knacks, tchotchkes, EVERYTHING, to see if they REALLY spark joy and just trying to make a little progress before we decide to pack up and go.
    I am now on Day 3 of the LeanAndClean plan. It's going well! I am also trying to make a concerted effort to do a Walk At Home session (YouTube) at least once a day. You can "walk" a mile in about 15 minutes. It's pretty similar to an aerobics class but simpler. 2000 steps easily in 15 minutes and get the heart rate up.
    The weekend is coming!!! As I look out the window, the skies are greying up (Elsa is coming to NJ!). I'm currently VERY inland so I'm not terribly worried, but I'm not current on the news of the potential impacts in the greater NJ/NY areas yet. But the rain, at least, is welcomed!
    Everyone be safe, and keep on plugging at whatever you need to plug on!!
    B - Hash Brown Bake
    L- Mediterranean Salad
    D- Loaded Baked Potato
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    tlmindo, great news that you caught the lump early and have a good prognosis. I had a lump scare during the height of COVID as well but it turned out benign. They took a long time to contact me with the results and it weighed heavily on me. Nice for you to get out and have some R&R after the ordeal! A lot of us do seem to be decluttering. I have some boxes for donation but more still more to remove. I haven't missed any of what is boxed up.

hawksgirl all of those appointments sound very time consuming. good job of managing to lose those 5lbs! how did your husband's surgery go?

I wasn't able to get in much activity yesterday. I went for two short slow walks, but I've got pain in both legs just below my hips. I will have to avoid jogging for a while for sure, and I think all of my yarn spinning might be contributing to the issue as well. I'm sticking with washing fleece and dying fiber for the next few days with very little spinning.

b/l blueberry smoothie, 3 cups black coffee (can't resist. have awesome coffee)
    dinner - a sushi bowl with tofu, carrots, avocado, baked tofu

Here's the Fajitas with Chipotle Queso I made: https://pinchofyum.com/vegan-sheet-pan-fajitas-with-chipotle-queso

I used a jalapeno instead of chipotle pepper and added 1/4 tsp of chipotle chili pepper spice. I subbed tahini for the oil. I added 2 Tbsp of nutritional yeast to the cashew queso and that really boosted the cheese flavor. 1/8 tsp more salt in the queso too. I made pinto beans and omitted the tortillas, turning it into a bowl and serving over mixed greens. (Hubby used a tortilla sprayed with oil then filled and baked in the oven for added yum factor)
  • Mihani
    Options
    I will have to look at the walking videos again tlmindo, thanks for the reminder. Getting so many steps in 15 minutes is pretty amazing! I remember reading exactly that about knick knacks... do they bring me joy? I used that during my grand declutter and if the answer was no out they went. I spent several months a couple years ago clearing out everything in the house and it's much more manageable now, and I can actually see the things I love rather than just seeing clutter. Plus I got rid of tons of clothes, kitchen items, furniture, etc.

Carla, those fajitas look AHmazing! I bookmarked that one. I don't remember you saying you had a lump scare! Maybe you didn't say at the time, but I'm so glad it turned out benign. Hope you are feeling better with the hip pain. I have been having pain in my hips too. I remember a doctor telling me some years ago after an x-ray that he saw some arthritis and that was "typical for a woman your age" ... wanted to hit him. LOL

Work remains crazy. Do I even need to say that? Oh well, doing what I can and really proud of how much better I have been at managing stress lately. The mindfulness really helps a lot.

B - oats like yesterday
    L - leftover stir-fry and baked tofu with cous cous (all gone now)
    D - not sure yet... probably some leftovers from the freezer... by Thursday night my preps are either gone or past prime

• magic71755
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Darn, I am always just popping in...I know I will have some time at work...(our secret) late in the day to get to catching up...looks like everyone is here! <3

Chelsea is a huge fan of ATOMIC HABITS. She talks about that book and one other book, Dr. Greger, How Not To DIET...her two favs! She is our kinda gal.

I found a great juice company SQUEEZED...I think they are based in HOUSTON of all places. They deliver locally...have places throughout the states and they are reasonable...and for someone who still loves to juice and is too lazy...this company fills the bill.

Not juicing completely...just complementing my WFPB choices...

today's menu:

black coffee
    squeezed juice
    salad with TJ's herb, romaine, broccoli, carrots, purple cabbage, tomatoes, scallions, corn, pinto beans.
    squeezed juice
    Lotus rice ramen, Classico sauce, 1/2 bag steamed spinach from TJ's
    Squeezed 1/3 bottle of their cashew milk...frozen in tiny cup.

Off to get into my workweek.

Love you guys! Later, mates.

PS My salad was so easy to throw together this morning...I had all the components chopped and stored and ready to assemble. Also, I had prepped my "spaghetti" yesterday. I gotta tell ya, that steamed spinach gold in terms of MOVING THINGS ALONG, if ya know what I mean.

Hugs to all...TIMINDO, way to smash that cancer dx...so happy they caught it early! Eat the rainbow, my sweets!

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Happy Friday!

Here's a pic to go along with Magic's Eat the Rainbow comment. When you posted that Nanc, I figured there would have to be a colorful photo of a rainbow of food on the internet and yes of course there was :)
    rx9ubsvlnih6.jpg

I have to confess, my plans for dinner tonight aren't the healthiest. We're having beyond meat burgers on whole wheat buns with corn on the cob (no butter) and grilled asparagus. I'll have my usual smoothie for breakfast and avoid snacks.

• Mihani
    Options
    Magic, glad you checked in! Has your niece headed home now? I hope you got lots of time with the baby. You are making great choices with your juicing and menu... impressed!

Carla, I had one of those beyond meat burgers once. Totally delicious but geeze it was so eerily similar to how I recall beef that I had a little trouble eating it. I think it has been at least 20 years since I have eaten any meat, and over 10 years now of no dairy or eggs, so it's weird when I eat something and it makes me think back that far. I haven't had any corn on the cob yet this year. I must get on that!

Using Atomic Habits, I have managed to get on the treadmill every morning this week for 30 minutes. It's really hard to get up earlier and do it, but I've done it anyway. I know I have to keep it up a while to really set the habit, but I'm encouraged. One morning I was so tired and so not into it that I got on there still in my PJ's and wearing slippers, but I did it. I wasn't breaking any speed records that morning of course. LOL

Thing is, I sit on my butt 10+ hours a day working and I can't get to my modest goal of 7500 steps a day if I don't do some treadmill time every day.

B - oats with all the goodies
    L - Dr. McD soup and an apple
    D - not sure... maybe a boca burger on ezekiel with lots of veggies or maybe just leftovers from the freezer... I'm totally whipped from this week and it seems like short weeks are worse than regular weeks
  • magic71755
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Good Morning, my sweet peas!

Love the rainbow of veggies, Carla!

Super great job getting on TM, Mihani! That's how to make habits work for you...I love it...in your jams and sleepers...totally impressed!

I have never had the impossible nor the other one...name escapes me. (Beyone, just though of it). I go for the Gardein ultimate be'f burgers...four in a package...in the air fryer...on a Dave's burger bun with the works. Seriously delish...and about a buck per burger patty. BUT, I am trying to stay away from my beloved Gardein products right now...I do have a freezer full, still. I have a couple of surgeries in my future, so they will come in handy for the people preparing my food, if we get low on options.

Anyway, my menu today is pretty much exactly the same as yesterday...add in a plum and banana if I am extra hungry.

I know you're probably sick of me talking about Chelsea Mae...but if you have a moment to watch, please do. She is so different from the rest of the plant youtubers. So much quirkiness and energy. Two adorable daughters who eat just like she does, as well as her dear husband, who has MS...(they are just dealing the best they can)...certainly does not stop this go getter and her mission to educate. Chelsea really drills home CALORIE DENSITY...I mean she is so passionate about it, that it finally sunk into this thick head of mine!

Oh yes, she is from New Zealand and still lives there...so her accent is beyond charming.

I had a great time with family...I adore my niece. She totally encourages me to continue on my path of plant based eating and although she is not vegan, she is open to recipes and ideas that feature plants.

I remember telling her about Lavash roll ups, featured on one of Well Your World shows (by the way, another one of my fav people...a student of Dr. Greger, True North, Kathy Fischer and all the great plant docs, Dillion Holmes and his Well Your World program is fabulous...

Anyway, Addie, my niece is now a huge fan of https://www.atoriasfamilybakery.com/flatbread/mini-whole-grain/ and now calls herself a Lavash sammy junkie...she always thanks me for these tips.

Ladies, here is my menu for today:

black coffee
    Squeezed Juice featuring beets!
    big ol salad
    juice
    rice ramen, steamed spinach, pasta sauce, enjoy cold for dinner
    more juice
    plum and banana

Have a DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe licious can my friends.

• tlmindo
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Happy weekend, everyone!
    The rainbow is beautiful!!
    BTW - my name is Tammy and you're all welcomed to use that instead of tlmindo. (two less keystrokes, LOL)
    My mom was a fan of the "Tammy" movies, back in the day. So, it is Tammy, not Tamara.
    I am in NW NJ, up in the top corner near NY & PA. If you've not been to NJ (or maybe even if you have but have never ventured around it), it's not the stereotypical NJ most people think of. It's very rural. We have bear, deer, fox, turkey, coyotes (though I've never seen one-I hear them) in abundance. The past couple days, a doe and her 2 fawns have been spending their mornings frolicking in my backyard. On most summer weekends, we drive about 2 1/2 hours, to a summer bungalow near Sandy Hook, that has been in my husband's family since his grandfather bought it in the 1940's. It is 100 years old and has NO insulation, so it gets shut down every winter. The front porch is floor to ceiling screens on 3 sides and sits across from a small marina. As I am typing, this is where I am sitting. The waves are lapping the sides of the marina, birds are chirping and it's a nice, pleasant, 74* out. Elsa passed through yesterday with some rain and that's about it. By the time we arrived yesterday, the sun had been out and was getting ready to set. It sprinkled a little around 9pm, and there was some awesome lightning in the distance. If we walk to the end of the road, we can actually see the NYC skyline. My husband got some great shots of cloud lightning on his phone.
    Today, we are off to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I do not have either near me at home, so the plan is to get some things I can only get there. I brought my cooler with me to take home some frozen things to stock up at home. We will probably be out and about at lunch time, so my 'planned' lunch will likely be replaced by take out from a place called "Greens & Grains" - all WFPB.
    B-Berry Smoothie Bowl
    L-TBD, but the plan is to be rice & bean based
    D-(planned to be) vegetable sushi rolls
    Next week, we will be traveling to NH for a 4 day weekend. I grew up in southern NH and my very good friend of 50 years lost his dad in Feb, and they are having a memorial/celebration of life on his birthday. Our entire family was close. He, his mom, and my mom & brother all live in the same town. I will be staying at my mom's (83 y/o) (who owns a duplex with my brother) and see my sister (from MA), too. It's been about a year since I've seen them, so I am looking forward to it, in spite of the reason for it.
    Everyone have a fabulous weekend!
    ~tammy
    ps-LOVE the McDougall instant Soups! I will be scouting WF & TJs for them, too! They are scarce at home. I have followed a recommendation and poured the Black Bean one over some brown rice! It was great! I love the Pad Thai too!