Shrinking Assets - Team Chat AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,112 Member
    Options
    2 more new members heading your way .... Please welcome @richardsamuel403 and @AnneUTT
  • nycirl2018
    nycirl2018 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you Patrice, your kind words mean so much. Really grateful to be part of this community.
    @nycirl2018 - You’ve made so much progress already by facing your fear of getting on the scale and also joining this group for support. I’m guessing you’ll be glad to have that ‘baseline’ data entry of your current weight as a gauge for your continuous improvement. It may feel as though you are ‘back on the weight loss wagon for the 1,000 time’ but my guess is that you gained insights during the 999th effort that can make you more successful this time around. My son often repeats an expression that I like: There is no such thing as failure. There is only winning and learning (paraphrasing here).
    nycirl2018 wrote: »
    I am back on the weight loss wagon for the 1,000th time. I’m sick of yoyoing up and down and up and down. Last year I ballooned up to 282, got down to 258 and now have gained nearly all of it back. I’m also slowly but surely getting a handle on binge eating disorder. MyFitnessPal and calorie counting has worked for me before in the past, and I know I just need to force myself to reach out online and stay connected with others for accountability and for support, to keep my head in the game. I never want to get on the scale and see that number again.

When I read your quote above, I see someone who made progress toward an ultimate goal (24 pounds lost!) and managed to make a correction before losing momentum (since you’ve still managed to lose 8 pounds toward your goal after losing some ground and making current adjustments). Three steps forward and 2 steps back is still one step forward.

It’s important for all of us to step back, reflect, learn, and make the corrections needed along the way as quickly as possible so we can continue to improve; but, I think it’s also essential to keep moving forward without dwelling on the past too much.

‘Getting a handle on a binge eating disorder’ is a major accomplishment! I hope you can take a minute to celebrate that progress and I’m glad you are here, committed to building and practicing the new habits that will help you be the person you want to be. We might all be working on different short term objectives but our long term goal is pretty much the same — to achieve our personal goal(s) and maintain the positive habits we’ve built so we can be our best selves.

As the saying goes, ‘comparison is the thief of joy.’ We all want the best for you and others. So, I’m glad you found the ShrinkingAssets and I’m confident that your individual progress is going to contribute greatly to our collective success! Welcome 🙏🏼

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    @imgwendolyn2015 - I hope you are able gain a sense of balance and well-being. You have not let us down as a captain and the thought truly never entered my mind. Please don’t add to your mental load by carrying that thought into the work ahead. Best wishes while you focus your attention on other things/people right now, and we’ll look forward to your return. As they say, remember to “put on your own oxygen mask first before trying to assist others.” Take care!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the team, @richardsamuel403 and @AnneUTT. Congratulations on taking another step forward along the road of health and fitness! I’m looking forward to learning more about you and your goals as we transition to September.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    @imgwendolyn2015 thank you for all your time and effort as captain. Have a good/productive break. Best wishes from your team!
  • nycirl2018
    nycirl2018 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats peachplace and chublet on your losses this week! Think of a visual of what a lbs of fat looks like peachplace - you’re doing great.
    peachplace wrote: »
    Username Peachplace
    Weigh in day Monday
    PW 232.9
    CW 232.1

Not a big loss, but it’s something… still a stressful time mentally at home.. hopefully we find some solutions soon.
    chublet25 wrote: »
    chublet25
    Tuesday weigh-in (week 4)
    PW: 162.5
    CW: 160.5

• richardsamuel403
    richardsamuel403 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the team, @richardsamuel403 and @AnneUTT. Congratulations on taking another step forward along the road of health and fitness! I’m looking forward to learning more about you and your goals as we transition to September.

Thanks @PatriceFitnessPal, looking forward to getting to know everyone else on the team as well!

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,112 Member
    Options
    Another new member heading your way ... Please welcome @overcomer0309 :)
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Wednesday weigh in:
    PW: 152.0
    CW: 152.2
  • chublet25
    chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I've lost 65 pounds (still 34 to go) and, well, I look like the Michelin man with a big flat saggy tire around his middle. Sorry if that's TMI, but what on earth can I wear so that I don't look awful? Do I need to get some shapewear? I've been wearing huge baggy shirts (well, my old shirts, to be honest!) because anything close-fitting looks perfectly hideous with lumps in unexpected and unattractive places. As an instructor I have to stand up in front of a whole lot of university-age students and I really don't want to look terrible or to get distracted thinking that they're staring at my flat tire! Does anybody have any suggestions?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I've lost 65 pounds (still 34 to go) and, well, I look like the Michelin man with a big flat saggy tire around his middle. Sorry if that's TMI, but what on earth can I wear so that I don't look awful? Do I need to get some shapewear? I've been wearing huge baggy shirts (well, my old shirts, to be honest!) because anything close-fitting looks perfectly hideous with lumps in unexpected and unattractive places. As an instructor I have to stand up in front of a whole lot of university-age students and I really don't want to look terrible or to get distracted thinking that they're staring at my flat tire! Does anybody have any suggestions?

No sure if this will help - but I use youtube for my exercises (apart from my elliptical) and you may be interested in The Gainz Center - it's geared towards men, but have some wonderful exercises to tone your whole body, also specific areas
    The beauty of it is that you don't need weights - check them out and let me me
    The exercises are short 16 minutes - so you can do them at least twice
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm going to be taking a break from the group to focus on my mental health. There is just a lot going on right now and I need to focus on it. I'm sorry if I've let you down as a captain. It's amazing how quickly life can change.
    Take care everyone!

Hi Wendy!

Thank you for the time you have been our captain! We appreciate you and want you to be well. Please come back any time!!!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options

Shapeware is expensive and often ill fitting. I would recommend Marshall’s or TJ Maxx to start with. Name brands at lower prices. I’ve bought some from Walmart that just rolls up or down. Skip Amazon unless you are buying a brand you are already familiar with the sizing.

I bet you do not look as bad as you think you do!!!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

There’s a difference between clothes that are too big (your old stuff) and clothes that have a purposefully flowier, looser cut, as well as thin skintight sausage casings and sturdier fabrics that camouflage those lumps.

I would suggest ditching your old clothes, they are likely too big everywhere. Tops that have a looser cut on your tummy and hips (which I’m guessing is your main quibble) but are the correct size for you so they fit right on shoulders, arms and chest would probably look a lot better and actually make you look slimmer. More structured dress shirts, thicker fabrics etc. might also be a solution. For dresses, I like loose dresses with wider hems but a belt at the waist, so it shows my figure while hiding the rest behind that A-line hem.

Patterns are also a nice distraction to the eye, hiding random lumps and bumps behind pretty florals or prints or whatever is your thing.

Last thing: as a fairly recent university graduate, I’m pretty sure they are NOT staring at your body. They are staring at their phones, computers, your presentation, or, if they’re looking at you, trying to focus on what you’re saying. The only times I’ve ever paid attention to what any of my teachers looked like or were wearing were the one instructor who went visibly braless during cold winter months, the time my thesis instructor rolled to a seminar meeting in literal slippers and wrapped in a nap blanket, and if someone wore something that caught my eye as particularly stylish. As long as you wear something generally appropriate, don’t worry about your students. Just look your best self for YOU.
This discussion has been closed.