Deficit Breaks

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    alisampm wrote: »
    Sometimes it's necessary to step back and ask yourself what advice you would give a friend in a similar situation. I am trying to take my own advice with this.

With the combo of the doctor saying that my body is most likely just taking some time to adjust to my weight loss and the fact that I am 8 pounds ahead of my 2021 goal of losing 1 lb/week, I am going to eat at maintenance for the next few weeks - 2 months.

Even if I can just stay where I am now, I will be right on track if I start back in a deficit on Sept 1. There is no rush and this isn't a race. And I need to practice maintenance, as that's the plan for the rest of my life.

I am also going to back off running a bit and focus on walking, tracking, and doing some limited strength training.

The only "annoying" thing is that I am only 2 pounds away from hitting a nice round number of 100 pounds lost. I would tell myself that's dumb and it will come in its own sweet time anyway.

I think you are doing the smart thing….you have done an amazing job losing weight in a pretty short time!….you look so much different….I remember when you joined and I thought to myself how cute you were and how great you would look thinner!…and you have done it!….you younger women are like my little chicks!….very proud of you!….at some point we all have to learn how to maintain our weight and practice makes perfect!…I have confidence that you can do this…this journey is a never ending one!
  • alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    I think you are doing the smart thing….you have done an amazing job losing weight in a pretty short time!….you look so much different….I remember when you joined and I thought to myself how cute you were and how great you would look thinner!…and you have done it!….you younger women are like my little chicks!….very proud of you!….at some point we all have to learn how to maintain our weight and practice makes perfect!…I have confidence that you can do this…this journey is a never ending one!

Thanks Connie. Its so hard to break out of the "faster is better" mindset, but when there is no finish line, there is no need to go "fast" the need is to keep going. :)

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    alisampm wrote: »
    ... when there is no finish line, there is no need to go "fast" the need is to keep going ...

Wow - this is going to be my ultimate goal!

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,582 Member
    edited September 2021
    I thought I'd document the progress of my deficit break in the hope that one day it'll help someone else.

In the 26 weeks prior to the deficit break I lost 20kg (from 96.0kg to 76.0kg). My TDEE is currently approximately 2,030, so my intention is to consume 2,000 calories from 16th September to 2nd October inclusive (17 days).

Day 1:
    • 16th September.
    • Weight: 76.0kg
    • Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: N/A
    • Target calories: 2,000
    • Actual calories: 1,838
    • Comments:
      Got off to a rocky start. Thought I'd hit 2,000 calories, but I'd logged 50g strawberry conserve on my slice of breakfast toast instead of 5g strawberry conserve, and didn't notice until the following day. So undershot my calories on day 1. Must try harder!

Day 2:
    • 17th September.
    • Weight: 76.4kg
    • Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: +0.4kg
    • Actual calories: 1,998
    • Comments:
      Spot on with my target calories. Haven't noticed any changes in my energy levels yet. The extra calories are making me nervous! It takes gumption to mess with something that's been so successful to date...I'm trying to have faith in the process. I'm using the extra calories to eat more healthy, nutritious food rather than just frittering it away on empty calories. The aim is to give my body a nutrition boost.

Day 3:
    • 18th September.
    • Weight: 76.2kg
    • Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: +0.2kg
    • Actual calories: 1,785
    • Comments:
      Another logging error - am I subconsciously trying to sabotage myself? Still no noticeable changes in energy levels, but it was nice to feel I had more calories to play with today - so it was a pity I ended up not making the most of them!

Day 4:
    • 19th September.
    • Weight: 76.4kg
    • Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: +0.4kg
    • Actual calories: 2,181
    • Comments:
      Today I went too far in the opposite direction! I made healthy choices, but maybe added a few too many extra carbs, which gave me a hunger knock. I've noticed I've been unusually hungry since starting the deficit break. Ended up eating an unplanned late night snack for the first time in 26.5 weeks. It was nutritious -and tolerable from a calorie perspective - but interesting that I needed it on a day when I'd already had my full complement of calories. Maybe it was just because I'd neglected my hydration today - I drank much less than usual, and had cramp in the night as a consequence.

Day 5:
    • 20th September.
    • Weight: 76.8kg
    • Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: +0.8kg
    • Actual calories: 1,991
    • Comments:
      A bit of an overnight jump on the scale, following an unsettled night with some leg cramps. I made more of an effort to hydrate properly today, and pretty much hit my calorie goal. Still no noticeable difference in energy levels. Still feeling a bit nervous about mucking about with a weight-loss plan that's worked well to date - an inner voice keeps saying "You don't NEED a deficit break...wait until Christmas and take one then". I'm trying not to listen to it...
  • conniewilkins56
    You are doing exceptionally well on your break….in 27 months I have attempted three breaks and all were a failure due to my lack of control….one I took over the Christmas holidays which was not a good idea,,,,another I got half way finished and let myself overeat….the last time I was scared I would screw up again so I quit the break!….I know we all will need to learn how to maintain eventually but with my Binge Eating Disorder I am not sure how I will do this….right now I am losing and in a very good place mentally….I am thinking I will try for a successful break after the first of the year….we shall see….keep up the good work you are doing!
  • Bella_Figura
    You are doing exceptionally well on your break….in 27 months I have attempted three breaks and all were a failure due to my lack of control….one I took over the Christmas holidays which was not a good idea,,,,another I got half way finished and let myself overeat….the last time I was scared I would screw up again so I quit the break!….I know we all will need to learn how to maintain eventually but with my Binge Eating Disorder I am not sure how I will do this….right now I am losing and in a very good place mentally….I am thinking I will try for a successful break after the first of the year….we shall see….keep up the good work you are doing!

Thanks Connie. I won't lie - it's nerve-racking! Part of me wants to quit and go back to the safety-blanket of a calorie deficit and a dependable weekly drop on the scale, but I'm trying to trust the process. I've noticed that I'm shedding loads of hair; my hair is thick, so I can afford to lose some, but I'm wondering if it's a sign that I need a little breather from under-nourishment. If my hair is the first visible sign of over-depletion, what other damage might I do if I ignore the advice to take a break and just keep demanding more and more of my body? Plus I keep reminding myself it's not a race....though of course mentally it always feels like one!

I've lost weight (up to 80lbs at a time) successfully many times, but I have a 100% failure rate when it comes to maintenance. I need to start practising so that I can find out what works for me and what doesn't!
  • conniewilkins56
    I totally agree about learning how to handle maintenance!…sometimes increasing protein helps with the hair loss I have heard….my hair is getting a bit thinner as I get older but I still have lots of it!….my nails grow so quickly I must be eating something right!….
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited September 2021
    Hair loss and slow nail growth not uncommon at deficit though hair loss is usually associated with excess deficit (or non related?).

Fast nail growth at a deficit is unusual! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hunger is suppressed at a hard deficit. And hormonally mediated. And a major reason, in my personal opinion, why we often regain.

The FIRST "trick" at maintenance is to find a way to survive however long it takes for this rebound hunger to subside without a major regain.

It took the better part of a couple of years for me. My primary trick was that I was spending the time aiming for a 150 Cal average deficit while eating "normally", the way I intended to continue eating.... Which of course does modify over time whether we intend to or not because adapting to changing circumstances is even more important!

So not surprising to have extra hunger. Also carbs good for hormonal uptick. Potatoes (high relative satiation for many) have been tried by Bella? Apple half hour before food?
  • Bella_Figura
    Previous entries:
    I thought I'd document the progress of my deficit break in the hope that one day it'll help someone else.

In the 26 weeks prior to the deficit break I lost 20kg (from 96.0kg to 76.0kg). My TDEE is currently approximately 2,030, so my intention is to consume 2,000 calories from 16th September to 2nd October inclusive (17 days).

Day 1:
    16th September.
    Weight: 76.0kg
    Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: N/A
    Target calories: 2,000
    Actual calories: 1,838
    Comments:
    Got off to a rocky start. Thought I'd hit 2,000 calories, but I'd logged 50g strawberry conserve on my slice of breakfast toast instead of 5g strawberry conserve, and didn't notice until the following day. So undershot my calories on day 1. Must try harder!

Day 2:
    17th September.
    Weight: 76.4kg
    Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: +0.4kg
    Actual calories: 1,998
    Comments:
    Spot on with my target calories. Haven't noticed any changes in my energy levels yet. The extra calories are making me nervous! It takes gumption to mess with something that's been so successful to date...I'm trying to have faith in the process. I'm using the extra calories to eat more healthy, nutritious food rather than just frittering it away on empty calories. The aim is to give my body a nutrition boost.

Day 3:
    18th September.
    Weight: 76.2kg
    Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: +0.2kg
    Actual calories: 1,785
    Comments:
    Another logging error - am I subconsciously trying to sabotage myself? Still no noticeable changes in energy levels, but it was nice to feel I had more calories to play with today - so it was a pity I ended up not making the most of them!

Day 4:
    19th September.
    Actual calories: 2,181
    Comments:
    Today I went too far in the opposite direction! I made healthy choices, but maybe added a few too many extra carbs, which gave me a hunger knock. I've noticed I've been unusually hungry since starting the deficit break. Ended up eating an unplanned late night snack for the first time in 26.5 weeks. It was nutritious -and tolerable from a calorie perspective - but interesting that I needed it on a day when I'd already had my full complement of calories. Maybe it was just because I'd neglected my hydration today - I drank much less than usual, and had cramp in the night as a consequence.

Day 5:
    20th September.
    Weight: 76.8kg
    Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: +0.8kg
    Actual calories: 1,991
    Comments:
    A bit of an overnight jump on the scale, following an unsettled night with some leg cramps. I made more of an effort to hydrate properly today, and pretty much hit my calorie goal. Still no noticeable difference in energy levels. Still feeling a bit nervous about mucking about with a weight-loss plan that's worked well to date - an inner voice keeps saying "You don't NEED a deficit break...wait until Christmas and take one then". I'm trying not to listen to it...

Day 6:
    21st September.
    Weight: 77.0kg
    Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: +1.0kg
    Actual calories: 2,004
    Comments:
    Another upward tick on the scale - isn't this supposed to have leveled off by now? I don't like the number on the scale today! I hydrated well today, and pretty much hit my calorie goal. All food was nutritious and balanced. The extra calories are mainly being spent on protein. I felt I had more energy today. When out with the dog I constantly felt like breaking into a jog - it's a while since I've felt that urge! And on the turbo today, my legs felt strong. Hills that seemed like hard work last week were much easier today. It felt good. Today my appetite seemed back to normal - i.e. no abnormal hunger. So no need to break out the potatoes and apples just yet....
  • conniewilkins56
    You are doing great…..setting the bar for my next break!
  • Bella_Figura
    edited September 2021
    Previous entries:

Day 1:
    16th September.
    Comments:

Day 2:
    17th September.
    Comments:

Day 3:
    18th September.
    Comments:

Day 4:
    19th September.
    Comments:

Day 5:
    20th September.
    Comments:

Day 6:
    21st September.
    Comments:
    Another upward tick on the scale - isn't this supposed to have leveled off by now? I don't like the number on the scale today! I hydrated well today, and pretty much hit my calorie goal. All food was nutritious and balanced. The extra calories are mainly being spent on protein. I felt I had more energy today. When out with the dog I constantly felt like breaking into a jog - it's a while since I've felt that urge! And on the turbo today, my legs felt strong. Hills that seemed like hard work last week were much easier today. It felt good. Today my appetite seemed back to normal - i.e. no abnormal hunger. So no need to break out the potatoes and apples just yet..

Day 7:
    22nd September.
    Actual calories: 1,995
    Comments:
    A downward tick on the scale today, so clearly I've lost a bit of water weight. After feeling yesterday as if I could leap tall buildings in a single bound, today I felt lacklustre and tired on the bike, and definitely didn't have the urge to break into a jog on my dog walks. Just 35 minutes on the turbo was a real effort (though I did choose a course with a King of the Mountain monster climb in the middle of it). Bodies are funny things! Strong yesterday, weak today. My appetite continues to seem back to normal - i.e. no abnormal hunger.
  • conniewilkins56
    Love reading these updates!…thank you for posting them!
  • Bella_Figura
    Love reading these updates!…thank you for posting them!

Awww, thank you Connie! I don't want to bore folks, but sometimes it helps to see what someone else experienced when you're contemplating doing something similar.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    I agree with Connie - these updates are fantastic. And inspiring. You are handling this beautifully!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    EpiPen can knock the stuffing out of you for a couple of days :(
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited September 2021
    Awww, thank you Connie! I don't want to bore folks, but sometimes it helps to see what someone else experienced when you're contemplating doing something similar. [/quote]

Definitely not boring Jane ….. giving me some real … pardon the pun…. food for thought about my recent “blip” (caven, black hole, deep well 😬) and how to sustain, manage, cope on this “adventure” 🥴😵‍💫🤔

Hey, hope you are recovering from the (evil) stinger…. What is the point of wasps anyway? And … are there more of the blighters thi year ? …..Stupidly scare me into a frenzy…. evacuated my “office” (tiny space in spare room, piled high with junk!) due to buzzing evil today and had to get OH to coax it out of window… took ages! 😠
  • Bella_Figura
    edited September 2021
    Previous entries:

Day 1:
    16th September.
    Comments:

Day 2:
    17th September.
    Comments:

Day 3:
    18th September.
    Comments:

Day 4:
    19th September.
    Comments:

Day 5:
    20th September.
    Comments:

Day 6:
    21st September.
    Comments:
    Another upward tick on the scale - isn't this supposed to have leveled off by now? I don't like the number on the scale today! I hydrated well today, and pretty much hit my calorie goal. All food was nutritious and balanced. The extra calories are mainly being spent on protein. I felt I had more energy today. When out with the dog I constantly felt like breaking into a jog - it's a while since I've felt that urge! And on the turbo today, my legs felt strong. Hills that seemed like hard work last week were much easier today. It felt good. Today my appetite seemed back to normal - i.e. no abnormal hunger. So no need to break out the potatoes and apples just yet..

Day 7:
    22nd September.
    Comments:
    A downward tick on the scale today, so clearly I've lost a bit of water weight. After feeling yesterday as if I could leap tall buildings in a single bound, today I felt lacklustre and tired on the bike, and definitely didn't have the urge to break into a jog on my dog walks. Just 35 minutes on the turbo was a real effort (though I did choose a course with a King of the Mountain monster climb in the middle of it). Bodies are funny things! Strong yesterday, weak today. My appetite continues to seem back to normal - i.e. no abnormal hunger.

Day 8:
    23rd September.
    Actual calories: 2,000
    Comments:
    No movement either up or down on the scale overnight. Spot on with my calories today. All food was healthy, balanced and nutritious. I bought cakes from the bakery because we had contractors working in the garden, and I had enough calories for one but I spent them on yoghurt and fruit and some roasted, salted yellow split peas instead. I don't have a sweet tooth so it was a fair trade. Energy levels and appetite back to normal (i.e. no abnormal hunger). I'm expecting a water-weight spike tomorrow because I got stung by a wasp on my after dinner walk, and because I'm allergic I had to use my epipen. This stopped the full body anaphylaxis in its tracks but didn't prevent localised swelling; right hand and arm to elbow are double their ususal size, and the big dimples that appear when I press the skin show that it's fluid build up around the affected area. This normally takes at least 24 hours to disperse. So tomorrow I'll have to brace myself before I step on the scale.

Day 9:
    24th September.
    Comments:
    Weight has stayed the same for 3 days now, which surprises me given my hand looks like a water filled surgical glove, and my forearm isn't much better. Wasp stings aren't fun! I'm feeling a bit grotty today, but I think that's due to the reaction to the sting and the epi-pen. Clearly my body's doing its best to fight off the toxins, so I'm trying to let it do its work and avoiding stressing it with too much extra activity. Just the dog walks today (just over 15,000 steps). Might have to defer tomorrow's third attempt on the Alpe Du Zwift until I've fought off the infection. Food was healthy, nutritious, balanced. Plenty of protein and complex carbs. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel more like my usual self...

Day 10:
    25th September.
    Weight: 76.6kg
    Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: +0.6kg
    Actual calories: 2,070
    Comments:
    Weight nudged up by 0.2kg, which is a pretty modest increase given the state of my hand. Doc gave me a prescription for antibiotics in case cellulitis sets in, but I haven't filled the prescription as I think the swelling has stabilised. I'm certainly in much less pain today and can bend my fingers, so I was able to hold the grips of my bike and do a short (15km) ride - but I'm not going to attempt Alpe Du Zwift until tomorrow at least. My energy levels were fine today despite a crap night's sleep. Feel like my usual self again today. Didn't do much walking though - just under 10,000 steps. Appetite is steady - no cravings, no hunger. Food was healthy, nutritious, balanced until dinner time, when we shared a portion of donner kebab meat and chips from the chippy (which was bloody lovely) because neither of us felt like cooking. I ate my share guilt-free and with enjoyment. Debating whether to keep the break going for another week or to finish it tonight after 10 full days....It's been nice having the extra 500 calories a day to play with, but I certainly don't feel as if dropping back to 1,500 will be too difficult. Next break is already planned for Christmas & New Year - so under 13 weeks until the next calorie boost.
  • Bella_Figura
    edited September 2021
    Previous entries:

Day 1:
    16th September.
    Target carbs: 150g minimum
    Actual carbs: 212g
    Target fat: 80g max
    Actual fat:67g
    Comments:

Day 2:
    17th September.
    Actual carbs: 229g
    Actual fat:79g
    Comments:

Day 3:
    18th September.
    Actual carbs: 262g
    Actual fat:42g
    Comments:

Day 4:
    19th September.
    Actual carbs: 351g
    Actual fat:44g
    Comments:

Day 5:
    20th September.
    Actual carbs: 269g
    Actual fat:58g
    Comments:

Day 6:
    21st September.
    Actual carbs: 255g
    Actual fat:71g
    Comments:

Day 7:
    22nd September.
    Actual carbs: 252g
    Actual fat:65g
    Comments:

Day 8:
    23rd September.
    Actual calories: 2,000
    Actual carbs: 246g
    Actual fat:57g
    Comments:
    No movement either up or down on the scale overnight. Spot on with my calories today. All food was healthy, balanced and nutritious. I bought cakes from the bakery because we had contractors working in the garden, and I had enough calories for one but I spent them on yoghurt and fruit and some roasted, salted yellow split peas instead. I don't have a sweet tooth so it was a fair trade. Energy levels and appetite back to normal (i.e. no abnormal hunger). I'm expecting a water-weight spike tomorrow because I got stung by a wasp on my after dinner walk, and because I'm allergic I had to use my epipen. This stopped the full body anaphylaxis in its tracks but didn't prevent localised swelling; right hand and arm to elbow are double their ususal size, and the big dimples that appear when I press the skin show that it's fluid build up around the affected area. This normally takes at least 24 hours to disperse. So tomorrow I'll have to brace myself before I step on the scale.

Day 9:
    24th September.
    Actual carbs: 214g
    Actual fat:59g
    Comments:
    Weight has stayed the same for 3 days now, which surprises me given my hand looks like a water filled surgical glove, and my forearm isn't much better. Wasp stings aren't fun! I'm feeling a bit grotty today, but I think that's due to the reaction to the sting and the epi-pen. Clearly my body's doing its best to fight off the toxins, so I'm trying to let it do its work and avoiding stressing it with too much extra activity. Just the dog walks today (just over 15,000 steps). Might have to defer tomorrow's third attempt on the Alpe Du Zwift until I've fought off the infection. Food was healthy, nutritious, balanced. Plenty of protein and complex carbs. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel more like my usual self...

Day 10:
    25th September.
    Weight: 76.6kg
    Cumulative gain/loss since start of deficit break: +0.6kg
    Actual calories: 2,118
    Actual carbs: 214g
    Actual fat:117g (whoops!)
    Comments:
    Weight nudged up by 0.2kg, which is a pretty modest increase given the state of my hand. Doc gave me a prescription for antibiotics in case cellulitis sets in, but I haven't filled the prescription as I think the swelling has stabilised. I'm certainly in much less pain today and can bend my fingers, so I was able to hold the grips of my bike and do a short (15km) ride - but I'm not going to attempt Alpe Du Zwift until tomorrow at least. My energy levels were fine today despite a crap night's sleep. Feel like my usual self again today. Didn't do much walking though - just under 10,000 steps. Appetite is steady - no cravings, no hunger. Food was healthy, nutritious, balanced until dinner time, when we shared a portion of donner kebab meat and chips from the chippy (which was bloody lovely) because neither of us felt like cooking. I ate my share guilt-free and with enjoyment. Debating whether to keep the break going for another week or to finish it tonight after 10 full days....It's been nice having the extra 500 calories a day to play with, but I certainly don't feel as if dropping back to 1,500 will be too difficult. Next break is already planned for Christmas & New Year - so under 13 weeks until the next calorie boost.

Having mulled overnight, I've decided to carry on the deficit break for another four full days (up to and including 29th September). This is because I made logging mistakes in my first 3 days that meant I didn't hit my maintenance calories for days 1 and 3...so adding 4 days on at the end ensures I get the full benefit of the break. Plus it allows time for the effects of the sting to leave my system. So today is day 11...