What's On Your Mind Today?

Options
1235»

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning this is why you are going to be successful this time around. The more tools you have the better. And even if you are not switching immediately to maintenance it sounds like you can ramp up your cals a bit more so that you are in a better position. I can't stress enough how much more important a maintenance plan is than a losing plan. I have lost the same weight over and over and over again in my life so I know I am good at that. But the real power is in knowing what the plan is to keep it off. Or at least keep it in a lower range.
  • cherie8525
    cherie8525 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think maintaining is going to be interesting. LOL I am ready to play with it. this month has flown by, I haven't been keeping track or posting daily.. I will attempt to work on it
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I have a question about maintaining. I am yo-yo dieter, where I will go on a strict 1200 calories a day, and then once I lose the weight I stop counting calories and go back to my "normal" ways, which means I have gained it all back. Ugh, I hate this cycle. So again, I am ready to finally start again. I was thinking instead of going on the strict 1200 calories a day, that maybe I should learn how to maintain at the allotted calories a day for my healthy goal weight, which will create a calorie deficit since I have 50 to 75 pounds to lose depending on what the final healthy goal weight I aim for.

My problem has always been I go on strict diets, cut everything out and then once I start to add those foods back that once was "forbidden" I become a bottomless pit and that is all I will eat. I am thinking that learning to find my balance and how to have a healthy lifestyle versus a diet is the way to have a sustainable healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life without the yo-yo diets.

So I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @KCJen - Calories aside, how many healthy dishes do you have which you could easily alternate through every day for the rest of your life because you enjoy them enough to not feel you have to eat a "forbidden food" in order to enjoy eating? Getting that number up can help because at that point the "forbidden foods" has less power over you, and after a while some of them may no longer seem so attractive any more. It's easy to pick the wrong foods when your choices are blah healthy vs delectable gluttony.

ETA - It can take a while to find such dishes though. Googling for healthy recipes has yielded few hits for me personally. I know that I enjoyed some things from diets over the years and started building upon those to my tastes. I actually eat pretty plain though, but am particular. I love medium salmon, I love sunny side up or soft boiled eggs. I love sauteed spinach. I even did a lot of green smoothies at one time and have some that I love and still use. Give me a fire and either protein or veggies and we have a delicious dinner, I guarantee, from my competitive bbq days, where I learned to cook individual things to perfection and not rely on smothering it in bacon garlic wine jam or such other stuff (save that for the competition itself). Each person has their own tastes and cooking skills and techniques. But I use probably one or more of those simple things almost daily and have a number of dishes I actually love, so have no problem preparing them and eating them with regularity.
  • cherie8525
    cherie8525 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @ KCJen It is a dance.. I agree with WhatMeRunning what is the forbidden items..
    If you have to eliminate them to get where you want, find a way to substitute it during and for life.

For me, that is sugar even the sugar substitues you can use on keto.. I am addicted to sugar.. it has been interesting journey seeing the differences of where the "I am full feel' is solid with low carbs and no sugar.. Sugar has the same affect on brain as heroin. hence why it eliminates the feeling of full because the brain wants more more more.. crazy. the fact it is in pretty much everything.

I have allowed self to eat a little higher carbs, and notice there is a hugh difference in serving size. uggggg sweet potato fries yesterday.. so tasty and so high in carbs aka sugar.

I will be doing this tango to find my balance, of what I will eat for life and build muscle.

• SummerSkier
    Options
    @KCJen understanding yourself is the first step in solving the problem. It looks like you can see the answer clearly already. ;) Best of luck and we will be here cheering you on.
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    @KCJen
    In addition to what everyone here has said, these are some of the questions I ask myself when I know what is affecting my health journey.
    what are the food you call "forbidden"?
    What effect do they have on you?
    What make them forbidden?
    What feeling do you get when you eat them?
    Can you prep healthier versions of them?
  • KCJen
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Right now what I would consider "forbidden" is eating out, which has been happening more than it should. And when I went on my 1200 calorie-a-day diet a couple of years ago, there was absolutely no eating out - or I would skip lunch to "save" those calories for that night's dinner at a restaurant. You mentioned competitive BBQ days, which is interesting since the American Royal BBQ contest in KC just finished. Are you close to KC?

@cherie8525 @Summerskier @victorious55 Thank you all for your posts. Finding my balance in all of this will help, and just learning to replace unhealthy habits with healthy habits.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @KCJen I don't have a lot of advice for eating out, I sometimes pick apart a dish and add an appetizer to try and build a clean keto meal (that's how I eat, may not help if you're not eating that way), and there are some places where I found no options at all! I tend to have better luck at Mexican restaurants than others for clean keto (meats, guac and cheese all day), but there is no good rule I can apply anywhere, I just study the menu and start figuring what, if anything, I can do!

Yes, I am in the Kansas City area, hailing from the Johnson County Kansas area for most of my life. The last competition I participated in was the 2013 American Royal BBQ, back when it was still at the American Royal grounds in the west bottoms area.
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,894 Member
    Options
    happy monday everyone!
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday right back at you @bookieNJ 🥰
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,683 Member
    Options
    w329af1v2d9d.png

A reminder of things to come what’s your plan to continue your workouts, healthy eating and healthy emotional health once the weather in your part of the world starts to change? Even though I am in New York closer to Mt Marcy it is coming ❄️
  • KCJen
    Options
    I have been getting alot of friends requests lately, which I have just been deleting since I assumed they were from when MFP was hacked. If anyone in UAC has sent me a friend request, please resend it and say you are in UAC. Sorry if I deleted anyone from in here. And with that said, if anyone would like to add me, please do so and I am also on Fitbit. :)

• snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,683 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I too have been getting some friend requests and those that have a photo well let’s say some go to the trash others I have remembered from before but I hope now that they really are the person
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware of a hack. I also get a few requests but unless it's someone in UAC I just say no. I find it odd that people send requests when you've never had any interaction with them.
  • victorious55
    Options
    I thought I was the only one getting all these weird friend requests. I checked the names and none of them is familiar :(
  • victorious55
    Options
    Very creepy request. I wonder if MFP is aware of this?
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    I think when MFP quit allowing you to send a message with a friend request it opened the door up to all of this. People still think that you CAN send an email with a friend request but it just goes to the ethers like any message you send to someone who is not already a friend. It would be nice if you got a bounce back so you knew it did not come thru. I usually check the friend's list of new requests and if I recognize a friend I will ask them. People who are your friends on your newsfeed often have friends who see your comments and send a request.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,317 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I just checked, and when you send a FR there is still a place for a message. On the rare times that I send a FR, I always write a message to say where I know them from.

If people bother to read my profile, you will know that I never accept a FR without a message, unless it's someone I know really well from one of my groups. I always check the profile of anyone who sends me a request. I also weed out my FRIENDS list from time to time if someone has been inactive for a while.

There was a spate of these hijacked rogue accounts sending FRs with inappropriate propics a couple of months ago. I deleted and reported quite a few with wildly inappropriate propics. You can report them on community. If we want problems like this sorted, we need to let the moderators know about them.

I have received and deleted a couple in the last 2 weeks.