Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hi all is there an IF group here anywhere?
Any time it's mentioned on the main forums people seem to get shot down - scary stuff 😳
Thanks in advance 😊

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I don't know of an IF group but I do some IFing.
    Maybe our IF folk here will see this, and you guys can get a regular IF support thread going?

I usually try to fast until the evening meal most days.
  • agnes1377
    agnes1377 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a year now. 16/8 usually.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    I've just started back here a couple of weeks ago. Eating low carb/ketoish and trying to do IF every other day. So far I've been doing 16/8, working my way up to 18/6. I don't think I could ever do 5:2, but never say never, right? Mostly, I try to stop eating at 5pm, and break fast at 9am.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    There is a group that has not picked up yet. Fasting for weightloss and overall health. I am a member.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I think there's quite a few of us LC'ers who also intermittently fast. I've been doing it for years (I'm 57), actually most of my life. I never ate breakfast even in school and presently I do 18:6 or 20:4 depending on my work schedule. My eating window is a bit different from most IF'ers though. I eat dinner at 9pm when I get home from work, then a little snack sometime between 11:30pm and 1am. To bed after that. Even when I'm working day (morning) shift we don't usually eat dinner til around 7 or 7:30 with a little snack later.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do also. Usually 16/8 - just getting back into it as it's been a tough past 18 months for me to follow anything.
  • baconslave
    Options
    rjan91 wrote: »
    I do also. Usually 16/8 - just getting back into it as it's been a tough past 18 months for me to follow anything.

I hear that! Me too.
    I used to regularly do an 18/6. I used to just be able to tell myself for the full 18 hours "you're not going to die." And believe it. I get so hangry these days, which is just a mirror of my mental state. Don't have my stuff together... :unamused: I'm working on it.
  • MJ_Keto
    MJ_Keto Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I typically try to do a 16:8 as well. I would love to do a 20:4 like some people, but don't think I'll ever get there. 16:8 works well for my lifestyle with work, family and exercise. The last few months I've been doing more of a lazy 14:10 since I was staying up later and therefore eating later, but I'm getting back on track now that fall is here.
  • aishmartin
    aishmartin Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Why are the general forums so down on IF?
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    aishmartin wrote: »

Because they believe in the CICO & SAD diet that anything that's different from what they consider the norm is wrong. Three squares a day is what is needed for our bodies to thrive. Despite all the evidence to the contrary.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    I did an 18:6 today!! But I really had to restrain myself from scarfing down the food I made when I broke fast.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

Because they believe in the CICO & SAD diet that anything that's different from what they consider the norm is wrong. Three squares a day is what is needed for our bodies to thrive. Despite all the evidence to the contrary.

I would disagree with this - (please don't bamify me Bacon! :smile: ) - they are down on the idea that there is something mystical and magical about IF - whether it negates calories, makes your body behave differently in regards to calories, etc. I have not seen anyone who is down on IF simply because it's 'IF'.

I normally eat in an IF style, but I do because that's they way I naturally eat. Any day that I can, I am out riding a bike first thing in the morning (and exercise like that crushes my appetite), so my first meal almost never happens before noon. And like NYPhoto, I eat almost half of my daily calories between 5pm and 8pm in the evening. Also, even on days where I don't get to ride, I am just not hungry in the morning... black coffee is my breakfast of choice (for those who say breakfast must be consumed in the morning) and has been since I was in HS (a very long time ago).
  • theabroma2016
    theabroma2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    IF sounds scary to many, especially veteran 'latest diet' chasers; it is very hard to do if you are not in nutritional ketosis. I eat a ketogenic, not keto (and by that I mean clean, no artificial sweeteners, fat bombs, all food is scratch-made, no keto breads, and very little if any dairy or cheese), diet, and I am very rarely, if ever, hungry. Because of that, fasting is not physically difficult for me, but it can be a real beast psychologically. Face it: it's just weird not to eat, especially for a life-long "cope by emotional eating" person like me. Occasionally I will fast for 3-5 days; otherwise, I have one or two meal daily in a 1 or a 4 hour window, and fast the rest of the day. I exercise and lift. And I have reversed my long-standing diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes. It is truly not hard; however, what IS hard is learning to deal with what comes up emotionally that I used to stuff with food - especially carbs - by keeping out of the refrigerator, pantry, and restaurants. That's the life change that many say is hard - far harder than the fasting.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @theabroma2016 , I agree, the mental stuff is the hardest. Let's face it, lots of our friends arrange their lives around eating (eating for celebrations, meeting with friends, etc) and fitting into that life without doing all the eating (at a time we don't need it) can be tough. Especially with tough emotions pushing us in that direction. (I speak from experience - I overeat fatty salty foods when under stress)
  • aishmartin
    Options
    Thanks for the answers!

I guess maybe they also think that we're hurting ourselves or will in the long run. Otherwise, I can't really see a reason to be actually upset with someone for their woe.
  • aishmartin
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    There is a group that has not picked up yet. Fasting for weightloss and overall health. I am a member.

I'm trying to search for the group you mentioned but no luck. Do you have a link?
  • baconslave
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @lorib642 Is this the one?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141108-fasting-for-weight-loss-and-overall-health

The search functionality on the platform they use on this site is yikes. :grimace:
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    @lorib642 Is this the one?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141108-fasting-for-weight-loss-and-overall-health

The search functionality on the platform they use on this site is yikes. :grimace:

Yes but it has gone quiet. Thank you
  • CARoberts73
    CARoberts73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My SIL has been combining IF with Keto for about a month now and she said he avg monthly weight loss has improved. I did IF 16/8 for a while and I'm thinking of combining them now, again, but I want to get my brain more firmly established in this eating style before I add other things in like IF or calories, etc