No Nonsense November 2021 Challenge

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
There's a statistic that goes around: something like over 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. Or we used to be in the Before Times. :smirk: 2021, Covid, or whatever crisis is after us this moment, we all have a lot on us! It's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

During my first LCHF holiday, I checked the weight chart, and I had lost 13lb (almost 6kg) between Oct 31st and my birthday (New Year's Day.) It's possible to not only NOT gain but to LOSE weight during the holiday season.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk, goodies, and other nonsense rampant this type of year.

Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

What I've done in the past is to pick 1 or 2 events that were most important. For me it was Christmas Eve and New Year's Day (my birthday). I enjoyed those celebrations. Once the day was over, the indulgence was OVER. I brought home no leftovers to continue the nonsense. I picked specific things I was going to have, not ALL THE FOODS. I told myself that at bedtime, the day was over and when I woke in the morning, it was back to the routine. The rest of the days during that period, I planned ahead to stay on-plan. For those other events I didn't select, I either ate before-hand, or brought on-plan dishes to them. The 1st year, I lost 13lb between Halloween and New Year's. The 2nd year, I was very close to goal and lost the 2lb needed to reach my goal weight.

Some of us are still heavily dealing the Covid nonsense. And while you may or may not be going to get togethers, there will still be in-home nonsense to navigate. We can make it work. Together we'll figure this out.

But this challenge is also about monitoring our plan Basics. Focusing on nailing the Basics is what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and beginning weight (if you are just planning to maintain through the month, like me, that's cool, too) and check-in daily or weekly with how well you did. Alternately, if you are focusing on keeping to fitness goals instead, that's certainly welcome. After all, this is YOUR challenge.

The Basics:
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
Fight back against all the NONSENSE life throws at us this time of year. Especially this year!

Let's do this. :triumph:

Replies

• AbbieOffman
    AbbieOffman Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    for me, it was all the door dash, uber eats temptations. I ate more dairy queen blizzards during the first year of covid than I have in my entire life...

I would like to be 25lbs lost by the end of November.
    I am at 20lbs lost now, @ 60 days in.
    I guess my goal is to be 180 by my birthday in Feb. :)
    I am at 215 now.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,538 Member
    Options
    My November Goals Are:

Getting back out there and walking 5 days a week (terrified since my fall on 10/4)
    I would like to lose 20lbs by my Birthday 12/29
    Logging everything (the good the bad and the ugly)
    Staying under carbs (10%)
    Drinking 120 ounces of water daily
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My goal for the end of November is to be at or around 180 lbs. That is about 15 lbs. To make that happen, I will be continuing on with my WOE, and start incorporating some type of cardio. I keep saying I'm going to do that, but really haven't. I've walked a little bit here and there, getting my heart rate up, but not on a continuous basis. So I need to start doing that.

Let's do it!! <3
  • KeithBarrows
    KeithBarrows Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Title - Current/Goal
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Weight - 251/235 (Final goal weight is 210 or a little less)
    Carbs - 10%/10% (Maintain a Keto diet! Weekly average.)
    Ketones - 1.8/2.0 (Weekly morning average.)
    Skydives - 0/5 (getting back into the sport after I lose another 5 pounds)
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    For November, I’m sticking to the basics. Logging everything, staying within calorie goals, getting plenty of water and continuing to move even with the change in weather. I’ve plateaued so would like to get over that hump and lose my last 5 pounds to hit goal. Nothing fancy, just grinding it out.
  • Ecosse2018
    Ecosse2018 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am climbing back on the low carb wagon as I fell off when covid raised its ugly head. I have regained the 20 lbs which it took me ages to lose. I once again self sabotaged by eating toast for breakfast ( the aroma from my husband’s breakfast toast finally defeated my determination not to eat toast ). That was my first failure, then I started eating biscuits once again, and so it went on until I have reached the stage where I have difficulty pulling up the zip on my jeans. I am disgusted with myself. How could I lose control so easily? I gain very quickly and lose very very slowly. However, today is the first day of the rest of my life and I am determined i will lose 10 lbs by Christmas. It will be difficult but it is possible if I stay on plan every day and ignore all the tempting carbs which surround me every day.
    Good luck everyone as we tackle the Carb Monster. Gina 😎
  • russellholtslander1
    russellholtslander1 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Most of my family is dead. My brother died in 1999, my Mom in 2000, and I became a heart patient in 2001, my Dad had 5 massive strokes in 2002, and died last year.. so the holidays are meaningless to me, and have been for 20 years. I actually lose weight during the winter, and struggle more in the summer, due to picnics.

I am going to set a smaller weight loss goal, due to being sick, and losing a bit extra the last 4-5 days. So...

by the end of November, 235 lbs.. just 7.6 lbs. Stay on Carnivore every meal, and do some exercise every single day.. either at gym, or walking outside.

Hope everyone hits their goals!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I'll be back tomorrow to post my start weight. I'm hoping it will be 180 or a bit less. I still can't believe my monthly average weight loss of 10 lbs hasn't decreased yet. I'm going to be conservative and aim for 5 lbs for November. It has to slow down at some point. I'm happy its coming off faster but just surprised.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    We are about to get out there on our 1st walk since my fall on 10/4... I am excited but also a little nervous..definitely waiting for the sun to come up which is around 7am ....Dinner is in the crockpot (8 lb bone in pork shoulder( for pulled pork) :) My house smells scrumptious :)
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I was definitely less active in the fall compared to the summer. I want to prevent that trend. I have today off from work and am getting things in order to meet my goals.
    Current weight is 170, would like to lose 5lbs by my bday 12/30.
    Current routine includes spin and bowling on Sundays, strength on Mondays and elliptical on Wed or Thurs.
    Add an indoor biking day
    Add Barre exercise once or twice
    Improve my hydration
    Pre log each day in the morning.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    I'll be back tomorrow to post my start weight. I'm hoping it will be 180 or a bit less. I still can't believe my monthly average weight loss of 10 lbs hasn't decreased yet. I'm going to be conservative and aim for 5 lbs for November. It has to slow down at some point. I'm happy its coming off faster but just surprised.

Well didn't make the 180 lbs of less. Actually had an uptick but I stayed on track for my calories, carbs, water and exercise so just normal weight fluctuations. Attempting for 15 lbs from 11/1-1/31/22.

Starting today at 181.8 lbs.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Gotta hate those darn upticks!! As long as the long term trend is going down, I guess we just have to put up with those!

Lost 2 pounds since last Tuesday! Had my own upticks during the week, but I'm ultimately at my lowest since starting this journey! So yay! Last Tuesday I was at 194.4.

I'm at 192.4 today.
  • mewmew1234
    mewmew1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My goal is 5kgs down by the end of November! Intermittent Fasting and not overeating my keto foods. The low/no carb sweet stuff is good but really it just triggers me to overeat.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    After a crazy October which included a diving trip and seeing my daughter for the first time in over a year (Kitten you, Covid], I am back at it. Lots going on this month as well— said daughter is actually having in person graduation for her MSc, my birthday, silly season craziness. All very exciting, but I need to stay focused. So I set my goal for 5 lbs this month. Activity should take care of itself over the next few weeks, at least.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    For November 1st.

Goals:

1. 235/242.4
    2. Eat Carnivore/ check
    3. Exercise/check

I lost 2/10ths of a lb. since Halloween, have eaten Carnivore every meal, and yesterday, I did a Chest, biceps and Legs workout.
  • khaliyah_asha
    khaliyah_asha Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm at 150, goal weight for end of month is 145. I am slowing transitioning to low carbs, been tracking on MFP and exercising regularly for a little over 30 days. My ultimate goal weight is somewhere in the low 120's but with a lean muscular look. I have been getting obsessed with staying on track, which seems to be the way for me to get results, I trust the process.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I’m starting the month with a 3 week plateau so I’m going to keep to plan with the expectation that this too shall pass. This is my last 5 pounds to goal so I expect it to be tough. I’ve started a new job and haven’t been able to get in my daily walks as expected so that will be a focus. I’m getting strength training in because it doesn’t take as long but I want to keep up with both. Once my schedule evens out, I should get into a routine. I’ve wanted to snack the last two evenings so that is likely the result of stress or boredom so I need to manage that as well. Otherwise I’m staying fairly low carb without much processed junk when possible.
  • debulaclark
    debulaclark Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 172.2.
    My goals:
    Exercise 5 times a week minimum
    Walk daily
    Low carb
    I would like to be 167 by November 30.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Food as been on point the last couple of days .... been walking 6+ miles the last 2 days and now I feel like I have the flu ... achy body ...headache... etc... so no walk today ughhh
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    For November 2&3

Goals:

1. 235 lbs./241.2 Lost another 1.2 lbs. in past 2 days.
    2. Eat Carnivore. Check, although several of my meals have simply been broth, since I had a sore throat for about 36 hours. Eggs are easy, and so is breakfast sausage, but can't do beef. I am having some fish tonight. I feel better now, but still weak & sleeping. Hoping I am good to go tomorrow.
    3. Exercise daily. Check, but I did a walk around my neighborhood the past few days. was supposed to go to gym today, but with a sporadic cough, and a sore throat, I am staying home, until I feel better.

I don't think it's Covid, but might as well be careful. It's mostly a sore throat, and a little bit of a runny nose.. I had similar issues a week ago, so maybe I never fully recovered. The weather has been cold here. The sore throat was new though. I think for the most part, I simply need rest, now.