I wanna grumble about...

Replies

• maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Today I've been in a constant state of hunger. Actual, physical, stomach rumbling hunger. It's totally crazy. I have no idea why. I thought it may have been mental so I went to the farmers market and spent far too many calories on a crepe made by this amazing Dutch guy. Best crepes ever, with nutella. (This was after my usual breakfast of porridge). Thought I might have just needed a treat, and I figured I could walk off some of the calories later. But got home and was still hungry! Went for the whole volume eating thing and ate vegetables galore for lunch. Seriously, a whole wok full. Plus two eggs for protein and some lentils thrown in there as well.
    It's dinner time now and I'm ready to eat my arm. I'm actually going to have a sirloin steak and a baked potato. Today is an eat-at-maintenance day or I'll eat something high calorie and not nutritious just to fill the hole. What is going on?! (I don't expect an answer. I'm just baffled.)
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    I hate it when that happens, but can't explain where it comes from either. Sometimes I can tell the difference between where the hunger is coming from - my stomach or my head (and usually its my head driving me to eat something its craving). I think your strategy of eating at maintenance today is a sound one, though, for dealing with it. Hopefully tomorrow things will even out, or your brain will tell you what its craving :)
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    That happens to me as well. Not sure why we have these ultra-hangry days. Very frustrating when you have eaten good nutritious food all day in generous portions but the body just isn’t satisfied.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    I call those days empty days. Where my stomach feels empty regardless of what I put in it! Hate them! Lol
  • bmeadows380
    I"m grumbling about stupid water weight gain, and how hard it is to get it to go away! And that I never seem to know what's going to trigger it. I routinely get over 120 oz of fluid - coffee, unsweetened tea, water - in a day, not counting the 1 can of soda I tend to drink most days, or what I get from food sources. My sodium levels and potassium levels are centered in the normal range according to my last bloodwork. Everything is functioning normally, so its not kidney trouble. I wear constriction stockings at a fairly strong compression level to help with lower extremity swelling. Yet I seem to find myself dealing with water weight on a routine basis, and it takes for ever to get it to go away!

Case in point: I've really tightened up my logging in the last 3-4 weeks - I've cut out all half-cut teas going strictly unsweet or using non-calorie sweeteners. I've cut down on the fast food. I'm weighing everything - including any condiments I use. I've tried to get my activity levels up for the last 2 weeks, but am only eating back around 1/3 of the calories. I did very well this weekend, actually staying under goal when before, I'd be over by a couple hundred calories. I had to guesstimate my mom's chicken and dumplings, but used Cracker Barrel numbers and made sure to get a nice, long walk in that day to hopefully compensate. And even if I shorted myself on actual calories, it wouldn't have been anywhere near the 1,000 calorie deficit I set for myself. And yet my weight popped up 4 lbs between Thursday and Sunday morning from 264 to 268! Yesterday was back down to 266, but this morning was back up to 268 again.

It just messes so badly with my head, because water will hangs on for me for a while, which also makes it really hard to gauge what to do with exercise calories. My jiu-jitsu class lasts 90 minutes, but I'm not moving constantly that time period, and I'm a beginner and am going really slow. We do warm ups the first 3 to 5 minutes. So I'm only counting 10 minutes of that 90 minute period. When I use my elliptical at home, I'm only counting 10 minutes out of 30, and I'm using the 2.5mph walk as my entry since I've got a simple, cheap elliptical that I don't think has near the same resistance as a higher priced machine that I think the actual elliptical entry is based on. When I go on a walk, I use the 2.5 mph setting even though I'm probably moving more like 2.75 mph, and I only count back 1/3 to 1/2 of those calories. My goal is based on being sedentary.

Since I've only recently really begun to try to up my activity levels, I'm still trying to figure out how many calories of those to eat back, but this stupid water weight gain is messing it up because I can't see what my actual loss rate is per week. I weighed in at 264.4 on Thursday, my weigh in day for the week. The way things are going, with this being Tuesday and I'm still holding onto water, I'll likely have to record a 266 reading, which will register as a gain for the week, even though I know I've been really vigilant in sticking to my calorie goals!

It's just so frustrating!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited March 2020
    @bmeadows380 When do you weigh yourself? I weigh daily in the morning when I wake up, after using the bathroom and before eating/drinking, unclothed. I also do my best not to eat after 8pm at night.

I find that this gives me the most consistent readings -- but even then there's a lot of fluctuation from day to day.

Note: an increase in physical activity often causes water retention at the start. When your muscles repair themselves, they hold onto water.
  • bmeadows380
    edited March 2020
    @mperh518 I do the same as you - weigh in the morning after the restroom before eating breakfast, and unclothed, and 5 out of 7 days, its at close to the same time each day. Weekends I can sleep in a little later, so weighing on those days is usually done about 2 or 3 hours later than on weekdays.

This is about week 3, I think, since I started upping my activity, and I expected water weight gain 3 weeks ago. I've been able to do 45 minutes on my elliptical at setting 3 without having my legs ache afterwards like was happening when I first started upping my activity. But I am very sore after the Jiu-Jitsu, which was last night, though when I get up the day after, the soreness is gone.

I don't usually sweat seeing a single day spike from one day to the next, especially after the weekend if I've eaten more than my calorie limit, but when I see a couple days in a row trending high, I start to get frustrated. Saturday morning I weighed in at 264; Sunday at 268; Monday at 266, and Tuesday at 268. Thursdays are my weigh days because I know that I'm consistently highest during the week on Mondays and lowest on Fridays.

I've seen the increase after activity before, though usually, I'll see the scale pop up 2 lbs or so. I just hate how long it takes for me to shed this extra weight and how it makes it so difficult to track because it really messes with my trend week to week. This week is a perfect example: last week, I weighed in 264.4 lbs on Thursday morning. Since then, I have consistently stayed under my calorie goal and have consistently upped my activity, getting in at least 5,000 steps a day and many days even more than that, with part of those steps due to intentional 30-45 minutes of exercise. I'm only eating intentional exercise calories, and only 1/3 of that. So I know that reality says I should be on track to lose that 2 lbs a week, maybe more depending on the actual calorie burn from the exercise, not to mention the increase in daily activity because while I'm still keeping my setting at sedentary, I'm working toward trying to get into the lightly active category - right now, I'm somewhere in between, and with there being about a 250 calorie difference between sedentary and lightly active, I may be getting at least 100 of those calories in.

So I should see a 2 lb loss at least when I weigh in on Thursday. However, if I'm sitting at 268 lbs on Tuesday, the likelihood is that I'm going to be seeing that same 264 from last week when I step on the scale on Thursday, so it looks like I haven't lost anything. And the frustrating thing is, I don't get wooshes - the water weight clings to me, and comes off slowly like water going down in a clogged sink drain!

This is what I mean about the ratcheting I've been seeing - one week, I'll be down 2 lbs; the next week, up 1 lb; the enxt week down another 2 lbs; the next week up that same 2 lbs. Since I'm weighing and tracking weekly, it kills my trend line, and I have to really look long term to see a true loss trend. It gets kind of disheartening at times!

And the stupid water weight also messes with my body measurements, making them in turn look static as well.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    @maiomaio71 - I find that eating a sweet treat (mmm, nutella crepe!) makes me want more sugar, more carbs. You did a great job of handling the hunger by eating veggies and lots of protein. For me, more carbs leads to more carbs.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    @speyerj I could only get one because I came home to eat it. It was well-planned but didn't do the trick! I also bought a tonne of vegetables from the market so that's what was on hand to eat next. Luckily Sunday is my shopping day so there was nothing else to eat in the house.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Today I had a dental appointment for a regular cleaning...we live about an hour and a half from our dentist office but I have gone to the same place for 47 years....I don’t mind the drive because it’s over the beautiful Skyway Bridge and we always have lunch with our son while we are there....today John felt pretty good so he decided to take me and get the oil changed in the car while he was waiting on me....so he dropped me off and I went inside....I asked how much my check up and cleaning was and the new girl at the desk told me almost $300 !....I said I thought I would pass as I thought the price was extremely high for an established patient...( 2 dentists have retired while I have visited this office and today was another new one but they had all of my volumes of records )...I told the dental assistant goodbye as she had been seeing me about 40 of the years I have been going there....I go outside and my husband is GONE!...he didn’t think I was coming outside so he went to get oil changed....no shade, and no where to sit...I finally walked a half block away and sat at a bus stop bench lol...I sat there 45 minutes plotting his punishment lol....he finally comes back to get me, rolls down the window and shouts, “ Do you need a ride, Lady ? “....Such a funny guy he is NOT....and now I have to find a new dentist!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 474 Member
    Damn that sucks. And,..300$ for a cleaning and check? I have no idea what the "standard" rate in the US would be but that sum is...about a third of our monthly paychecks here!

Now I think growing up with a close friend becoming a dentist was..pretty lucky.. :D
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    Okay - I know this is a long dormant thread BUT........ there are things I need to complain about.
    One big complaint is the loss of formerly very active members on this page. I followed so many supportive and wonderful people. Got involved in their hopes, lives and efforts. And then suddenly they were GONE! Where did they go? Are they doing well?
    Maybe an occasional post would relieve some of my anxiety?😳
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,583 Member
    edited December 2021
    I hear you, Yooly! This group allegedly has 969 members, and yet no more than a dozen are active on the forum. And only one of the leaders is still active (our lovely @conniewilkins56 ).

So many people just disappear overnight - have they thrown in the towel? fallen under a bus? been abducted by aliens?

Last time I lost all my weight through usuing MFP (2012/13) I wasn't active in the community at all, but this time around I made a vow to get the most I could out of the support on offer. It's meant I've got involved, engaged, interested in the lives of people I'll never meet, but with whom I feel a strong connection. When one of them disappears it leaves a void....
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    edited December 2021
    Ugh! I hate MFP losing posts--again!

So the sub forums are a bit of a weird thing, at least for me. There is the feel of the private "wall" space shared between friends. But we're still using a forum with everyone being able to chime in at will. And I'm not sure about indexing status; but I will assume that these sections ARE indexed.

Yes, more often than not, a disappeared person means that they've given up and regained. But, NOT always. *kitten* happens and people change focus or become busy even if nothing dire takes place.

Just over a month ago I had the occasion to indirectly Whatsapp (we sent video messages back and forth) with an MFP friend from 2015-2017.

I was actually lucky enough to track down an old email address that she still monitors occasionally! (I had sent her a payment via paypal for the overnight editing of a sales proposal a colleague and I sent to a prospect back in 2017. It was due first thing in the morning, and by 2am we were both too pooped to continue. But it was only 10am for her! So we went to bed for a few hours while she cleaned up our blathering... and we got to meet the deadline and present something reasonable! Colleague proved a jerk; Ms MR kicked *kitten* both then and now! :star::smiley: ) BTW, I just checked: she hasn't even logged onto MFP in two years. And had gone quiet well before then!

So blast from the past. Yet, neither of us have appreciably regained... heck I would say she looks even fitter than I remember (I definitely look *older*!)

But yes. You miss people and wonder. But then again the same thing happens in real life too (f.e. people with who you hit it off at work or even closer friends with whom you lose touch over time)!

It's just that there's less recourse and less opportunity to feel as if you could influence the end result since you often don't even have forwarding information or a way to find it. :disappointed:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    On aol I used to say when friends disappeared, they “ poofed”…. Gosh I loved the first aol chat rooms back then!….I think people either go off their program and gain weight or they get bored or give up!….maybe there is a place where they all are!
  • Yoolypr
    On aol I used to say when friends disappeared, they “ poofed”…. Gosh I loved the first aol chat rooms back then!….I think people either go off their program and gain weight or they get bored or give up!….maybe there is a place where they all are!

I wonder if some are out there reading this? I hope so. And if someone is out there, he or she should know they would be welcomed back! We’re all struggling so why not struggle together.
  • Yoolypr
    Dear Lord why is it 83F(28C) and so humid today? Santa is sweating up a storm and the elves are fainting. People out shopping in shorts and sandals. It’s just wrong 🥵
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    A number of years back, looking at a Christmas tree on a beach at Vallarta? While towelling off in the sun?

No. Just no.

No flip flop reindeer!