December - Week 4 Challenge - New Year, New You

Options
jessicakrall8
jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,079 Member
shhhhop4yfez.png

The New Year is an excellent time for reflection and sets the stage for new things. Nature is telling us that one season ends and another begins, so why not write that into our own lives?! But let’s not call them resolutions, because let’s be honest, those usually go out the window with the best of intentions.

Let’s simply make a plan, set some goals and get it moving. It doesn’t have to be magnanimous as small changes can bear large results as we all know…think tortoise/hare…it’s the baby steps that lead to large distances. TRUST ME on that one! I set a goal this year to walk “intentional miles” and after six months, in addition to daily step goals, I’ve walked 192 intentional miles! Each of us is different and we all have different bodies, different challenges, different intentions, different results sought…but we ALL need a plan, to get routines in motion…Let’s do this!

PLEASE ANSWER EACH DAY'S QUESTIONS ON THAT DAY. Take time to think and plan!

SUNDAY, Dec 26th
1. Thinking back to Dec, 2020 compared to where you are now on your journey, what is the biggest change? What are you most proud of?
2. Write a note to your “end of 2020” self. What advice do you have to offer?

MONDAY, Dec 27th
3. What would you change about 2021 if you could?
4. How will question #2 affect your planning for 2022?

h40nxy9wkssj.png

TUESDAY, Dec 28th
5. Name your top three goals (big or small) for the next year.
6. What’s your first step going to be in getting started in the New Year?
7. How can your F2F support team help you reach those goals?

v74yi45d180c.png

WEDNESDAY, Dec 29th
8. What are your three action words for 2022?
9. What’s one negative thing you can remove from your life?

THURSDAY, Dec 30th
10. How will you better support your teammates during the year?
11. What do you think of having a support buddy for motivation?

FRIDAY, Dec 31st
12. Finish this sentence: In 2022, I WILL …

SATURDAY, Jan 1st
14. Answer this question: January, 2023 will see what results in you? …

s1i1c42c3pbx.png

NEXT WEEK, WATCH FOR A BREAKDOWN OF "THINGS TO DO IN 2022!"

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    This is a good one!

Te biggest change, and without doubt my biggest source of pride, is the fact that after December 2020 I have successfully grown from egg, carried, birthed and started raising our daughter who is now 2 months old. I turned 30 just a couple of weeks after her birth and this year I’ve grown from a 20-something recent graduate to a 30-year-old mother. My pregnancy was full of puke, pain and exhaustion, but I made it. I’ve had a really good recovery and labor and delivery also felt like rebirthing myself, I was feeling better and more agile the moment I stepped down from the birthing bed than walking into the hospital for my appointment to be induced.

My advice to my old self is to learn how to find joy in routines, know when to set the bar lower, and do the best you can. You will feel better if you take care of yourself, even if those actions are tiny. You deserve it, and every little act of love towards yourself helps.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
    Options
    SUNDAY, Dec 26th

1. Thinking back to Dec, 2020 compared to where you are now on your journey, what is the biggest change? What are you most proud of?
    Not much has changed since last December, but staying the course has been good enough. I have kept up reasonably well with exercise and food, my family are all OK (including parents in their 90s). The biggest change is that I was able to travel at least a bit in the early Autumn to see family members for the first time in over a year, but now we're back to staying home. I have maintained my weight where it needs to be for the whole year, with one "stint" back on the regular team to get back into my maintenance zone when I slipped a pound over my top limit. I am proud of my big vegetable garden and the full freezer of food from my labour. I am proud that I did not off my husband even when he got really annoying :smiley:

Hang in there! Keep strong in body and don't get discouraged.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,133 Member
    Options
    SUNDAY, Dec 26th

The biggest change now versus a year ago is the way I live my life. A year ago, I did not track calories, I did not exercise, I was bingeing on food as part of daily life, and I just had myself in an extremely sedentary pattern. I had been gaining weight and started weighing myself casually to see that I was getting close to 300 pounds - a number I hadn't ever saw on the scale. I am down over 100 pounds since then, I now exercise every day, and I feel a million times better.

Don't put yourself off. There's nothing to wait for, and the journey doesn't have to be perfect. There is no better time to start putting your steps forward towards your better health than right now.
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    SUNDAY, Dec 26th

The biggest change for me is my attitude. I'm no longer letting fear dictate my actions. I'm fully committed to this new chapter of life and working towards better health. The walk hasn't been perfect, but it can't be...we learn by making mistakes, falling, standing and readjusting. A few years back, I was afraid to walk in the mall or walk around the block because I feared not being able to make it back home and getting stranded...fear is a horrible task master. It held me back for so long. Now, I'm walking daily and since July have walked 192 intentional miles and the mileage has increased each month since then! I'm most proud that I haven't given in, even through injury and pain...I'm continuing to grow and I can see daily progress in the reactions/sculpting of my body and how I feel overall. Most of all, I'm loving the journey...something I never thought I'd see in myself.

You can do this. Day by day, step by step, you'll grow a little more with every passing moment. Don't hold yourself back. Be ok with making mistakes and just TRY. Give yourself credit for small, NSVs (non-scale victories)...enjoy how they make you smile. Set those little goals and slay them. Feel that pride and let it warm you. Life is short...take care of yourself.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,195 Member
    Options
    SUNDAY, Dec 26th
    Last December, I was five months into my weight loss journey. On this date last year, I weighed 284, down from 330 in July. This morning, I was 230 (up a bit these past few weeks). I've gone from a snug size 44 waist to a comfortable size 36 waist.
    I'm most proud of the fact that I've stuck with it! (only math geeks will appreciate when I say this: I feel like I'm within epsilon of my goal!)
    Dude! 😂 Why didn't you think to check if the new U.C. campus had an open heated Olympic-size swimming pool (which it does)? You could have been swimming all winter, while your gym's indoor heated pool was closed! Also, you should have gotten more protein, to minimize the loss of muscle mass. (Not to worry though, we're building it back now, I think/hope.) 🤔
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    MONDAY, Dec 27th

I would have been more serious about my calorie control...and cancelling out COVID would have been wonderful. Too many friends, neighbors and relatives died or were seriously ill. But that's out of my control.

Trying to watch things more closely and not give into stress or emotional eating. I think some days my Plan B needs a Plan C if that makes any sense. I need to always have extra items on hand that I can switch to when I start to feel too restricted or that I don't have many choices.
    Jessica
  • jugar
    Options
    MONDAY, Dec 27th

I would have loved it to be easier to spend time with other people. I need the stimulation, the way it makes me think better, and the possibility of playing ensemble music more.

I need to work on a couple of things - build strength more, and explore ways to improve what feels more and more like depression. I have kept up good exercise for aerobics and general movement, but I have let the strength workouts go except for Pilates. I need to get back to muscle building so I don't become a scrawny old lady who breaks bones!
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm a day behind so I will do 2 days together !
    Sunday 26th Dec
    Thinking back to Dec 2020 there hasn't been much of a change.My weight is the same now as it was then.I am most proud of the fact that I've kept up my logging of food & also kept within my calorie goals.I have also walked alot & attended the gym & swam when facilities were open.
    And I've kept on dancing in my kitchen following u tube videos or just with the radio on 💃
    My note to self would be;
    Don't stress too much about the scales.I know now they go up & down sometimes for no specific reason 🤪
    Mon 27th
    What would I change if I could ?
    I would certainly like to extinguish this damn covid virus.It has meant that I haven't been able to go to classes at the gym.I miss the company & the fun of exercising in a group.It gave me such joy.
    Also I would change the fact that I fell & dislocated my shoulder but hey accidents happen.
    Planning for 2022
    I can't change covid but I can walk with friends which I have done this year.I would like to try & do more strength training & maybe get a bicycle this year.I used to love cycling & eventhough I wouldn't be happy on the roads it would be good in the park.
  • izzyred9400
    Options
    @frankwbrown as a greekophile I knew epsilon was in the greek alphabet but I'm not a maths geek so had to Google it 😉 So well done to be so close to your goal.That waist reduction is amazing & excellent for so many aspects of your health & well being.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Monday, December 27

Hi, I am new: I just joined WaistAway today. My name is Jenn. I am jumping in today.

3. I assume that this question relates to health, weight, and fitness, energy, spirit, etc., rather than what I would change in the world -- so I will answer the question with that in mind. 2021 turns out to be the "worst" year I have had in awhile, and I am sure that I am not alone in that. I've been "at sea" concerning many things, and this has resulted in unwanted weight gain. I do not think that I would change anything about the year, however, because I believe that experiences have come my way -- and our way, collectively -- because that is what we've asked for, either consciously or unconsciously. I am prepared to integrate all things, great and small, as part of my journey.

4. I did not answer question 2 because I had not joined yet. However, one of my goals for 2022 is to continue to stay as open as possible with the havoc that is about to come.

Be well,
    Jenn
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    MONDAY, Dec 27th

Less mindless worrying about things I can't control.

Gratitude planning, mindfulness and meditation sessions.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    MONDAY, Dec 27th

Not get covid - got a positive at-home test today. Other than that, I'd love to say eat healthier and exercise more, but I had a very rough pregnancy and really wasn't able to.

How much this covid affects next year remains to be seen, but hopefully not a lot. Healthier eating and a more active lifestyle are major goals, and I hope they come naturally as my little one starts moving and I have to run after her, and as she starts eating solids I will have to pay attention to eating habits I pass on to her.
  • jugar
    Options
    Something just hit me that I forgot to include in what was good and what I am proud of in 2021. How I forgot it I'll never know!

I had surgery in February 2021 to remove a very large hematoma that was the result of an accident in April 2020. After the surgery there was a drain for 6 weeks, so it was just about a year that I could not sit equally on both buttocks! I did the best I could with exercising during that time, but I could not sit, roll, or do just about anything on my back. Sitting was extremely uncomfortable - I got really good at always sitting with my legs curled to one side. But I diligently, carefully worked my way back after healing from the surgery. I can now enjoy all the sitting and other things, do all the Pilates exercises, and sit on my exercise bike, ride horses, and all the fun stuff that our booties let us do!
  • metaphysicalstudio
    Options
    TUESDAY, Dec 28th

Lose 20 pounds, finish my novel, continue my journey of opening

I think that joining this group was a good first step toward my weight loss goal! I feel motivated.

I like feel of the group, and I look forward to being able to give support.
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    TUESDAY, Dec 28th

Reach my goal weight (168) which will be a total loss of 125 pounds.
    Improve my FTP on the Peloton.
    Do a few activities that I otherwise wouldn't have due to weight restriction.

Staying the course - continue to track every bite and stay within my calorie allotment, continue to do my Power Zone training on the bike.

Just staying engaged and being a great place to come for accountability and support.
  • izzyred9400
    Options
    Tues Dec 28th
    My top 3 goals are
    1) To work hard to get back to my goal weight by tracking my food & avoiding unhealthy snacking.
    2) Increasing my level of activity so I'm moving more every day
    3) Walking up & down hills to increase my cardio workouts & also more weight training to gain more muscle.
    My first step to getting started in the New Year has already happened.I went to the gym yesterday & will continue to do so.I also walked outside up a big hill.
    How can the F2F support team help me to reach my goals.
    Just continue as they do with a few words of encouragement when needed.Also the rest of the team is good for accountability & advice/ support.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,328 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    It’s fun and interesting to read everyone’s comments. I’m on vacation with my family so we’ve had some full days of travel and activities. Over the next few days, I’ll try to catch up by posting some responses to the questions posed. Thanks for the the thoughtful prompts!

SUNDAY, Dec 26th

For me, the biggest change since 2020 is that I am now focused on maintenance. At this time last year, I was 10 pounds away from my goal weight. I felt really good at that weight (135 pounds) because my clothes fit better and I was comfortable with the way I looked. At that point, I was no longer focused exclusively on weight loss because I realized that I’d need to maintain my healthy nutrition and fitness habits over a lifetime, instead of seeking a short-term goal by reaching a particular number in the scale. My progress was very slow at that point, but I continued to gradually lose weight. At nearly 5’4” tall (5’3” and 3/4), it felt fine when I weighed in at 121 but that’s because I was enjoying my rowing hobby during the height of the season - and I knew I’d gain over the winter when my workout shifted - so the biggest challenge has been finding the right maintenance range.

So, my advice to my ‘end of 2020’ self is to keep investigating and learning from what works and doesn’t work. I may not stay the same weight throughout the year, because I seem to have some natural rhythms based on my seasonal activities; but, I’m feeling confident that I can find a maintenance range that’s works. In the coming, I’m testing out a maintenance range of 120-130, and my advice is to continue to keep an open mind about what feels right. It will take some time and attention to learn how to balance fitness and nutrition levels through the fluctuations and contextual changes that come up throughout the year (e.g., busy times of year for work, changes in schedule when our sons are home from college, stressful or unexpected events that arise at work or while supporting aging family members, etc.). So, it may take a few years of studying the ‘patterns’ over time. This is such a rewarding and important investment for the future! We are worth the time and effort it takes!
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    TUESDAY, Dec 28th

--Continue increasing my intentional walking distances each month.
    --Control my calorie intake and work on evening out my vegetable/fruit consumption.
    --Not get hung up on the numbers...keep my head on straight and keep moving forward.

--Set my step goal for intentional walking and daily step goal for January.

--I would like to see all of our team relationships and support continue to grow. I love that the interactions between team members is becoming more active. I just love that. Everyone is so supportive, positive and uplifting.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    Options
    TUESDAY, Dec 28th

Reach my goal weight (168) which will be a total loss of 125 pounds.
    Improve my FTP on the Peloton.
    Do a few activities that I otherwise wouldn't have due to weight restriction.

Staying the course - continue to track every bite and stay within my calorie allotment, continue to do my Power Zone training on the bike.

Just staying engaged and being a great place to come for accountability and support.

Sounds great @ashleycarole86!
  • metaphysicalstudio
    Options
    TUESDAY, Dec 28th

--Continue increasing my intentional walking distances each month.
    --Control my calorie intake and work on evening out my vegetable/fruit consumption.
    --Not get hung up on the numbers...keep my head on straight and keep moving forward.

--Set my step goal for intentional walking and daily step goal for January.

--I would like to see all of our team relationships and support continue to grow. I love that the interactions between team members is becoming more active. I just love that. Everyone is so supportive, positive and uplifting.

Not getting hung up on numbers is something I'd like to focus on, too. You can do it! 👍🏽
This discussion has been closed.