Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    remainder of Brocoli chicken noodle soup and yogurt with light cherry pie filling... and then we'll see where we go from there
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    Have you been holding out on us, PAV? How can you have the remainder of broccoli chicken noodle soup if you haven't yet "had" the beginning of said soup??????
  • PAV8888
    Options
    well I did eat something more than just bread and butter pickles (and onions) yesterday! I don't see a post detailing things though! I did split a broccoli and chicken soup with chinese noodles and container of greek yogurt with light cherry pie filling between the two days. Both in terms of logging and actual eating. Actually eating the soup now. And planning on the yogurt later!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Certainly sounds amazing, Alexandra! Any word on surgery???
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,856 Member
    Options
    Missed you Alexandra!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Last night I finished off the egg fried rice and the chicken/mushroom/zucchini/cashew stir fry.

Tonight I am making kielbasa, fried potatos and onions, and a vegetable of some sort but I don't remember what and my planner is too far away at the moment for me to check.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I'm trying a Tahini Chicken salad with Napa cabbage tonight. The recipe is in a South Beach cookbook I have. Though I don't have plain greek yogurt, so I'm subbing in sour cream and a little cream cheese for the dressing base. I'll add some roasted carrot sticks in to go with.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    The last of the leftover Christmas turkey, defrosted and made into a curry with yellow peppers, peas, onions, dried apricots and cherry tomatoes, with saffron rice on the side. Yum.

ldlhfn7zbf4w.jpeg
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I have been out shopping most of the day….I had a horrible Egg McMuffin early this morning, some almonds and that’s it….baked beans and a couple of deli chicken legs for dinner….I bought some cherry pie filling but couldn’t find the lighter kind….this has 90 calories in 1/3 c. So I won’t get very much!….
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Oh nooooooo Connie! Egg McMuffins are supposed to be most eggxcellent NOT horrible! What went wrong???

And.... well... an alternative to light cherry pie filling would be just frozen cherries or frozen wild blueberries (because they's small and thaw fast!) The calories on the regular pie filling are... horrible!!!

Oh no. I am now feeling guilty for prompting you to get it! :disappointed:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Alexandra, it may have been "ready made"; but you did make it all special!

@Athijade and @bmeadows380 these do sound like special meals! I admit to being sometimes "afraid" to play with more calorically dense items because my "eyes" are almost never full. But, then again, after eating something calorically dense and giving it some time to settle, it often does work out for me in spite of the smaller visual quantity!

Garfield this looked beautiful enough that I want some!

I started the day with a piece of "toast" (32g white bread) and 19g old cheddar slice and 32g of sweet pickled onions... all adding up to just under 200 Cal! :wink:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, sign me up for pickled onions for breakfast!….NOT!….

I don’t like Egg McMuffins but it was the lowest item in calories I could find….I was in a rush and knew I better eat something before I went shopping…I knew I wasn’t going to like it before I ate it and then it was mushy!….turned out that the store was out of so many things I had on my list….I can’t find my Fiber one cookies any place…we ate dinner early because I hadn’t had much to eat all day…..the chicken I was so looking forward to was the size of a fat Bluejay….I swear these were the tiniest chicken pieces I ever saw….and one piece had a feather attached to it!…..Good Lord, I need a Hershey bar lol
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2022
    Options
    alcohol and fire gets rids of feathers :wink:

I had (sweet) pickled onions for breakfast... at noon! I usually drink black coffee (loads) first. And only then either eat something for "breakfast" or not and leave the calories for later. Actually a pattern where I have a big breakfast and then nothing or just snacks till late at night, or one where I have multiple snacks and then a larger meal late at night is probably my preference.

at this stage it is just past 17:30 and I had a good 550 Cal worth of mini meal that should keep me going for a few hours.... :wink: (a repeat of "breakfast"; but with the addition of Connies favourite: a stinky boiled egg :lol: And a clif bar for the quick extra calories!)

7phojj7mz1iq.png

Now I have to go get tilapia for the puppy. I am thinking of stealing her food again... though I sincerely question the nutritional theory that purports that plain pasta, tilapia and squash with a tiny bit of corn oil makes sense as an "ibs friendly" diet. Why tilapia (cultivated: so higher fat and antibiotics etc) and not pollock or whitefish equally low on fat (pollock especially) and wild caught? If tilapia is OK why not basa or any other whitefish? Why enriched pasta and nothing else? since when is semolina "good for the tummy" ?

Anyway. I don't know if I want PASTA with my tilapia... but last time tilapia and fries wasn't too bad!

And looking at the numbers I expect to have a good 1300-1500 Cal available which means fries are do-able unless I blow the calories on skittles before then!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Pickled onions for brekkie - PAV I'm proud to call you my friend.

After my most productive physio this morning - I had a fully artsy fartsy afternoon. A poet friend stopped by and we had soup for lunch (from that bottomless giving freezer) and then we spent the next 4 hours drinking tea and bourbon and waxing poetic (lol) about life and art and it was just so lovely. Something I haven't done since I was ???? probably never actually. Not sure what the calories added up to at the end....because nothing was particularly measured....hopefully the alcohol will dehydrate me enough to make the scale smile tomorrow.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    uh-oh. playing with water weight you are! sounds... lovely?!!?
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Wasted a "few" of those calories on store bought sushi (380 Cal) and... candy coated chocolate eggs :hushed:

Dog kept her tilapia and I ended up making squash and chicken bouillon soup with some newfangled never tried before noodle I got at the local Waly-mart.

They're super thin (major selling point 2 min cook time in boiling water) and "advertised" as 320 Cal per 92g double nest. Ingredients include dried egg white and an, adequate for pasta I felt, protein count of about 14g. Of course the first double nest I pulled was 99g. Sautao thin egg noodles.

I will say that they filled the bowl quite nicely and they survived adequately and fairly al-dente the totally inappropriate cooking/nuking/eating much later ordeal they were subjected to.

So provisionally a win. But I need better "flavouring". The chicken bouillon is way too much sodium and way too little taste and by the time I added a sodium free cube too the whole bouillon thing was up to 70 Cal :disappointed:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You guys seem to be so "concerned" about my almost noon time pickled onions! Remember that these guys are in a bread and butter pickle jar... they taste like bread and butter pickles--sweet like me! :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    The boy and I watched a video about how to make your own egg noodles last time he was over. They don't seem that tricky... And I wonder if I could play with that a little bit and bump up the protein even more by using those liquid egg whites...hhhmmmm
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    How’s the pickled onion experiment going PAV? Will you do it again? You can toss in other veggies like peppers, cauliflower, carrots like Italian giardiniera. I’d parboil the harder veggies first.
    Today I’m having chopped roast chicken with a no flour gravy on top of zoodles. Not the most inspired meal but it does the job. Light salad and crackers later. Maybe a frozen Christmas cookie or two for dessert.