Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,630 Member
    Options
    Subway moving into Canada forced Mr Sub to up their game - they really expanded their bun selection from white or whole wheat to all the fancy ones :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,628 Member
    Options
    That brought an interesting name back!

I did a quick search and there exists ONE store in located in East Vancouver. Now that I think about it, I've been to it before! :smile:

There are about 7 located in southern Alberta near Calgary.

And a SECOND location in British Columbia in HOUSTON!

Houston, BC. is a good 12 to 13 hour drive.

Might be faster to get to Houston, TX, assuming no airport delays!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    There are 7 in Hamilton :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Supper tonight is the last of the Pad Thai and ???? I ended up eating an extra half portion yesterday for lunch so there is only 200 calories worth left for dinner. Not quite enough on its own. Maybe some freezer soup???
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You can always make a bit more! Though your prep sounded quite elaborate! :smile:
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Houston BC!!!! I looked it up and saw Houston and assumed Texas. Who knew there was a Houston BC?

Today was dribs and drabs of leftovers. Salad, carrots, tuna and some crackers. And a bag of air popcorn. Very uninspired but did the job.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Didn't need to add anything extra to my Pad Thai leftovers...plenty of calories in the day already :)

Now to think up something interesting for the rest of the week's suppers!!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hello to the team!
    Today is Τσικνοπέμπτη (a big celebration day for the Greek Carnival Season) and we traditionally eat grilled or roasted meat.

So I went out and bought some Κοντοσούβλι for the occasion (essentially large pieces of pork cooked on a spit over a charcoal barbecue).

Mszk2Jf.jpg

QweRfpr.jpg

Man, that was good!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Didn't need to add anything extra to my Pad Thai leftovers...plenty of calories in the day already :)

Now to think up something interesting for the rest of the week's suppers!!

Can't help this time! I have barely cooked this week and have no meal plan yet for next week. Yikes!

I did have a gyro plate for dinner last night (well, part of one because it was SO MUCH food). So gyro meat, rice, a greek salad, and hummus. Tzatziki to top it as well. Oh, and some falafel and baba ghanoush! Going to have the leftovers today spread over both lunch and dinner. The place where I got it from will be on my "favorites" list for sure!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Gotta love a grilled meat festival! It looks amazing! 👅 I guess you have to stock up before the Lenten fasting begins. Athijade was having her own Greek festival too.
    I am totally envious 😋

We’re having small steaks and some German red cabbage. Generally don’t do steaks unless we go out so it’s a treat.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Can't say it looks delicious, Dante :) but I'm sure it was.
    Sounds delicious, Athijade!
    What do you do with the red cabbage, Yooly?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Your cabbage made it into my brain, Yooly (glad it wasn't the other higher calorie things that hooked me today :) ) Dinner tonight comes from the freezer - sauteed cabbage, peas and red beans with cumin and fennel ... and ... a cup or so of roasted beets (another freezer treat) :)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    German Style Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage
    Sounds like a cabbage day all around! I usually don’t add sugar to this cause the apples 🍏 🍎 do the sweetening. Also, I use apple cider vinegar and just use enough oil to cook the cabbage. Freezes well too so I make a large pot and portion.

German Style Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage

SERVINGS
    6 servings
    CALORIES
    126 kcal

INGREDIENTS
    2 pounds- 1 small head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons sugar - optional depends on the apples.
    2/3 cup red wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons bacon fat or butter, or olive oil
    2 medium sweet apples cored and cut into large dice (or slices)
    1 red onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice or ground cloves
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 cup dry red wine or water
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
    Mix the cabbage, sugar, and vinegar together in a large bowl. Set aside.
    In a large sauté pan with a lid, melt the bacon fat (or butter, or oil, or combination of all or any) until hot, add the apples and onions and sauté until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage mixture along with the wine, spices, and a large pinch of salt; cover; reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 20 minutes, taste and adjust vinegar and sugar levels if needed; then increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until the liquid has mostly evaporated. (If you like your cabbage more well done, then cover and cook until it's done to your liking before you cook off the additional liquids). Taste and adjust for salt and pepper, remove the bay leaf pieces and serve.

NUTRITION
    Serving: 1g
    Sodium: 216mg
    Fiber: 5g
    Cholesterol: 1mg
    Calories: 126kcal
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
    Saturated Fat: 1g
    Fat: 2g
    Protein: 3g
    Carbohydrates: 25g
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That sounds pretty wonderful! Thank you, Yooly
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    It’s certainly filling and gets you fruit and veggies. Great with pork or maybe veggie sausages? I have had this made with regular white cabbage - just as good without the spectacular red color.

Tonight we had French onion soup (canned) and cheese crackers.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    well i am anticipating being low on dinner calories and haven't really had enough bunnies today. So it is probably one of two options for later... yogurt with something OR.... I have a jar or red cabbage (which has sugar, of course...) But I also have frozen beets hmmmm..... and apples.... hmmmmm I wonder whether it would work. cabbage and beets I don't think I've ever tried the combo. But it DOES sound as if it might work...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Let us know, PAV :)
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Nope :( so far has been "an assortment of bars" ~664 Cal
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    You will have to have your red cabbage delight another day :'(
  • PAV8888
    Options
    So I dumped two cans of Habitant pea and ham soup and a can of pumpkin into a pot with random water, 12g of veggie knorr powder, ~1g of smokey chipotle and dried chillies. Possibly even a shake or two of other spiece-like things that were in front of me!

Some of the contents exploded due to an, err, temperature control supervision error! The rest seems to have survived due to the timely infusion of additional water and vigorous spooning!!! :lol:

Clean up will be fun as the "girl" cannot contribute with her tongue skills up there on the stove!!!! :naughty:

831g / 475 Cal of "I'm getting a yellow purple complexion soup" have now been consumed.

The rest is waiting to cool down a bit before getting packed! Total was 2500g (less the unknown exploded spillage) :disappointed: