Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,627 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I agree 100% with Yooly - Dante your meals look perfect.
    It's especially nice/useful to see reasonable "maintenance" meals. Thank you for showing us how it is done.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words folks! We tend to not eat much processed food here, but simply buy some ingredients and cook them ourselves. It is actually cheaper that way too, since you make 4-6 portions at a time!

Today is Clean Monday, the first day of the Great Lent. So we gathered at my brothers' this time.

I made lagana (plain and stuffed with olives),

Z3iZ0l2.jpg

mom made the octopus, halva (plain, we also bought some with chocolate) and white taramosalata,

9WhGqEB.jpg

and my SIL made the rest (crab bites, shrimps with pasta, salad etc).

PMSn9Pq.jpg

jzQ3Oay.jpg

zrWupZU.jpg

Damn, that was gooood!

Having said that..the next week is going to be an exercise in CI frugality. I simply had too much to eat lately, so some moderation is in order! :p

• lauriekallis
    Options
    All looks delicious, Dante. Worth the coming frugality.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I am making Pot Roast tonight. It's my mom's recipe and one of the only ones I ever committed to memory. Super simple though it has to cook for 3 hours. I make it easier by getting baby carrots and small potatoes. Less prep work for me!

One of the upsides to working from home is being able to make these long cooking but mostly hands off types of meals on a weekday.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Wow - Lent in Greece looks pretty dang good! Compliments to all the chefs Dante.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Doesn't it!

Athijade - that sounds like a good meal for several nights! Not sure what your weather is like there but we are in a middle of a blizzard here this evening :) and it sounds perfect even to my vegetarian ears!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Winter wonderland. How will the car dig out tomorrow morning?!?!! :neutral:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Had Pho. Wuz good. Left half a third of the noodles! (who was I trying to kid about half! :lol: )
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Why would anyone leave half their noodles?!!!

I was tickled with my newfangled ability to shovel all that snow! Shoulder screws are holding up well :)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    We’re shoveling sunshine. Should be near 90 today 🌞
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Apparently NO ONE would leave HALF their noodles... not even me! I'm hoping it was a third! It was definitely a quantity just about equal visually to what would come out of one of the 290 Cal knorr pho plastic cups... so worth at least a pack of fig bars :wink:

My car is well salted! :blush: And another 10kg of salt has bit the dust! It looked very pretty while I was driving back. Like winter wonderland. For real. Pretty. Yet I was swearing! :naughty:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sunshine sounds extraordinary, Yooly! Soak some up for your pale winter wonderland neighbours.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it!

Athijade - that sounds like a good meal for several nights! Not sure what your weather is like there but we are in a middle of a blizzard here this evening :) and it sounds perfect even to my vegetarian ears!

It was comforting for sure. Still not as good as mom's (what ever is?) but still brings up those happy memories.

Dinner is leftovers (have enough for 3 meals total easily). Lunch I am trying to decide on. Really want to order something... Poke bowl or burrito bowl?
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    We haven’t yet succumbed to ordering-in food. Mostly because we’re retired and have no excuse not to cook at home. I don’t doubt if I were single and working, I’d be on the phone regularly. Hubby is a great cook while I’m mainly good but not imaginative. I love variety but I don’t often stray from the tried and true simple meals.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Tonight looks like the tub of 0% Greek yogurt with walnuts and all bran buds and cinnamon and a bit of 2% milk.

Half has been eaten the other half is "resting in the fridge".

Reduced activity may be turning every calorie precious with me joining the precious calorie club.

I've taken out of the freezer 320g mixed veg and 180g fine green beans to have ready for tomorrow!!!🤔
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    All that protein yesterday felt really "heavy" - I was in bed last night with 2 pups :) at 8:00. Woke up and I swear that protein is still with me...lol...I'm not sure if this is satiation or ??? :) One thing for sure is I won't be eating veggie weiners with my breakfast again today!

Supper...hmm...Probably some freezer dal that is thawing in the fridge + sweet potato + some of those fine green beans :)

I honestly can't remember the last time I felt so "satiated" lol - it feels like I have a bucket's worth of mud in my belly - but surprisingly the scale was down again this morning after going up for a few days.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Today was a crustless quiche - spinach, mushrooms, egg and low fat cheeses. And a big salad.
    I do okay with sit down meals. It’s the nibbling preps and grab n go snacks. I’m working on planning those better or eating more at meals so I’m not hungry an hour later.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    No banana in your yogurt fiesta, PAV?

Yooly - it is just criminal the way those little things add up :(
  • Yoolypr
    Options

Yooly - it is just criminal the way those little things add up :(

Well it would be criminal if the snack purveyors were sneaking something past me. But I know better and should be able to curb mindless snacks. Why I indulge too often is just stupid habit that has to stop. Somebody please tell my greedy eyeballs to stop it.
  • lauriekallis
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Yooly's greedy eyeballs... STOP IT!

(It is criminal that it doesn't feel like much when you are having little snacks. I've been trying to shift to "no snacks" - except maybe an apple if I feel desperate - because it was just becoming habit to nosh on little things with nothing to do with hunger. But that being said I do tend to have 4 meals a day.)