Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,627 Member
    Options
    You are a contenda, PAV :)

My supper plans are - hopefully - taking the pups for a walk and going to IKEA for one of their crazy looking veggie dogs (which I haven't tested yet but they look amazing :)) and a frozen yogurt cone. If the veggie dogs are outrageously good I might live it up and have 2! (at $1.50 each it is worth it :))

Here is a description of the veggie dog...its not your ordinary pink soy cylinder!
    https://www.mashed.com/173770/the-untold-truth-of-ikeas-vegan-hot-dog/
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    And the veggie meatballs too, don't forget.

You know. This was not very nice. I don't know that I can head there today... but remind me to do so in the future... other than dealing with the crowds... there's actually once of these places fairly nearby!

And the write up looks good! :wink:

I don't see a calorie count in the article though!!! :angry:
  • lauriekallis
    edited March 2023
    Options
    That dog was SOOOOO tasty!!!!! Nutrition information I found was 248 calories dog bun and toppings. Oh my! Went in the out door - straight to the little cafe at the exit - no line up - just deliciousness - no shopping - just the lovely little hotdog and a vanilla frozen yogurt cone. Next time I will skip the cone and go for 2 hotdogs. They were that good ;) Spent 9.97 for two people and two pups to be smiling for awhile :) (Pups only got cones, not dogs. People had one of each.)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I bought some of the veggie meatballs when I visited the store a month or so ago - they are okay. But the premade hotdog was really a treat.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wuz salad of spring greens 123g, tomatoes 254g, 35g cheddar, 350g yogurt potato mustard pickle salad, 30g olives with 70g toasted white bread. Good for now. Cinnamon yogurt feast already logged for later!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Looking forward to making that potato salad. I think I will add the cauliflower though because I like it before. I can see a week of that for supper with some plain old soy veggie dogs on the side :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Just drain it well (the cauli). Because watery mess bad, right?!? :smiley:
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,833 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Roast the cauliflower in the oven? Works well even with defrosted frozen cauliflower. Roast cubed potatoes at the same time. Or air fry both for drier results?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I didn't have a problem with the cauliflower making a water mess last time. Did you use fresh or frozen, PAV? If anything the salad wanted to be too dry.
    I will boil the cauliflower with the potatoes and use Dante's trick of vinegar in the water. Hopefully it wasn't just beginners luck last time and it will come out okay.
    Hadn't though of roasting potatoes for a potato salad? Have you done that Yooly? Seems like that would be a different beast? I don't have an air fryer - but my "oven" is a small convection oven which sort of gets similar results. Just can't imagine browned potatoes in a potato salad :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    All this PAV's potato salad talk carried me away - away from the food in the fridge that I bought to make a frittata for this week (to use up the egg whites from the meringue experiment :) ). So no potato salad until the frittata is gone...something to look forward to this weekend :)
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Yoolie was talking about the cauli that I implied might be too wet and suggested it could be baked. Not the potatoes. Vinegar trick was used by my grandmother. Haven't used it myself. But should be helpful
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Yoolie was talking about the cauli that I implied might be too wet and suggested it could be baked. Not the potatoes. Vinegar trick was used by my grandmother. Haven't used it myself. But should be helpful

Yooly suggested roasting cubed potatoes at the same time...I haven't tried that but am game if someone else has and it worked well!

Did you use frozen cauliflower or fresh, PAV? I remember you mentioning that maybe there was too much?

When Dante suggested the vinegar trick last year it made a huge difference in the firmness of my potato salad potatoes! Solved a 35 year old mystery for me :)
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Tonight was crunchwraps, which are probably about the calorie cost for us of a burrito and a small bag of fritos, because we only eat half of them. And since I make them they are real food with real meat and cheese in them, and so that is satisfying. Plus, people can have just what they want in them. Green sauce and lots of black olives? Sure. Red sauce and lots of pico de gallo? Sure. And I get my plain beef and safe Mexican rice and cheese and lettuce, and I'm happy.

Also it means I know what lunch is tomorrow, lol.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You're HERE! :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Laurie: it was frozen which is why I think it was perhaps sub-optimal???? I don't remember it TBH :blush: Or rather vaguely. I think it was one of the only times I've tried frozen cauli.
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 2023
    Options
    We’ve missed you Alexandra! Hope all is well.

Laurie, here’s a vegetarian roasted potato salad. I’d cut it in half or a fourth because it’s a LOT of salad unless you’re feeding a crowd. You can use Greek yogurt instead of mayo. Roasting just adds another layer if flavor. And you can add roasted cauliflower or other veggies like zucchini. Roasted radishes are a revaluation! So different from raw. Lots of wiggle room for ingredients.

Vegan Roasted Potato Salad

TOTAL TIME
    1 hr 45 minutes
    SERVINGS
    8 servings

INGREDIENTS

2 pounds waxy potatoes new potatoes, red potatoes
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 pinch salt and pepper
    3 single celery stalks
    2 whole carrots raw or roasted
    2 whole green onions
    2 cups vegan mayonnaise - or yogurt
    ¼ cup dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1 bunch fresh dill finely chopped

INSTRUCTIONS
    Roast potatoes: Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash potatoes and cut them in half, then toss halved potatoes in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to brown evenly. Alternatively, potatoes can also be pan fried over medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are browned. Remove from oven and let cool (to cool faster, place roasted potatoes in the refrigerator).

Mix potato salad ingredients: In a large bowl, add cut potatoes, sliced celery, diced carrots, sliced green onions, vegan mayonnaise, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, chopped dill, and a pinch salt and a pinch of black pepper. Toss ingredients to thoroughly mix until all ingredients are covered in mayonnaise and are evenly distributed in salad.

Chill and serve: Roasted potato salad can be served immediately, but for best results refrigerate for a minimum of 30-60 minutes to chill salad and let the ingredients release their flavors.

• PAV8888
    Options
    That sounds GOOD. I admit that I seldom follow recipes--cough cough--but it does sound GOOD! :smiley:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Hi, Alexandra!

Thank you, Yooly. I might just try that with this round of potato salad! With some cauliflower and pickles for good measure :)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    That sounds GOOD. I admit that I seldom follow recipes--cough cough--but it does sound GOOD! :smiley:

Outside the potatoes there’s all kinds of possibilities. The main character is the roasting part. You can tinker with the dressing. I don’t use dill - maybe parsley or cilantro or dash of oregano.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    But, I admit to using "overload" of protein with my "potato salads". Since I use 0% greek instead of mayo, I tend to add both taste/texture for lack of better word--consistency may be more appropriate/fat and extra protein by using eggs. So it would always start as potato/egg/yogurt/and I suspect more often than not some mustard powder. The "veggies" "pickles" etc are then "fillers" or more appropriately "bulking agents" to make it all more space occupying and lower caloric density!