Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    I'm having two freezer meals today. Now - pasta sauce on shirataki rice with grated romano and a few olives. Tonight shepherd's pie. I've been successfully postponing the grocery store day! But tomorrow might be the day. A TREAT :::))))
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Ha! Mine would go in the water! Obviously YOUR pup wimped out Laurie!

Also: how come I get a pass on the hair and on the 7 to 10lbs?!?!?! :neutral:

It's only been twice Yooly! I used to go there fairly often!

Sorry: link is set to expire soon! <shrugs> :blush:
  • lauriekallis
    edited March 2023
    Options
    You get more than a pass, PAV - you look so much like you we can't help but love you! But I'm going to go back and check - just in case we were too easy on you.

My girl went into the water last time....this time I made lots of noise and kept her occupied with the frisbee so she wouldn't hear the geese just over the hill. And then I put her on the leash when we walked near there. If she spots them she absolutely tries her best to get them - doesn't mind jumping off a rock wall into the water.

I MIND.

She terrifies me doing some of the crazy *kitten* she likes to do. Especially when it is snowy/icy/my knee feels too unstable to start doing any emergency rescues!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Okay. Hair - perfect!!!! tousled enough to have that perfect casual air of a man at a Mongolian Grill :)

From these pictures I cannot see an extra 7-10 pounds. You appear very trim. Maybe it is all below the table?
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Hair looks good! The 7-10 extra pounds? Guess you’re sitting on them.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Tummy I'm convinced (unfortunately since less healthy) tiny bit on face. Feels like have lost much more though scale hasn't moved more than 2 or 3. But difference is enough to seeing from tight to "normal" feeling pants. Still, far from needing to use belt to hold pants up which was the lowest. Hovering between bmi 24.9 to 25.1. Oh well. 1st world problems
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Made burgers last night and had baked beans and 3 bean salad with them. Tonight will be leftovers.

Then the rest of the week looks like:

T: Teriyaki chicken bowls
    W: L/O
    Th: Greek salmon bowls
    F: Corned beef, honey carrots, and roasted cabbage
    Sa: L/O

Not bad. Using the bowl technique to try and get more veggies in my diet. We will see how it goes!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Good work, Athijade!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I like how Athijade has it all planned. Living with a human food Hoover (the hubby) makes for some interesting juggling for me. The compromises of a 49 year marriage! Good thing we still make each other happy and enjoy time together.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Girlfriend has decided to eat keto, so I am slowly revamping some things in the light of the fact that I'm the only one who will be eating any of them at all.

Tonight was carnitas, and there was much rejoicing, for they were tasty.

I'm attempting to just hold my ground because I am out of my ADHD med, and therefore I want to do nothing but eat all the sweet carbs and play video games and read and sleep. The pharmacy thinks it will be in by Wednesday when I go to the store. I certainly hope so. I'd like to be able to think clearly again.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    that's not helpful, right Alexandra! Tell them I said they should put a MOVE on it! :neutral:

I admit that I am liking @Athijade 's Thursday and Friday!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Today's experiment... unimpressive! They have this frozen cauliflower mash that, I believe green giant, came up with a while back. Got a couple (on sale, of course, half price actually) to try. I can't say that I'm impressed. Admittedly I also tried using my frozen kale in it. Combo is edible. if you're hungry. Probably! :lol: OK not that bad... but not ready for prime time either!
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower- hmmmm. Mix in a little flour (just enough to hold it together), onion, garlic and seasoning. Pan fry like a potato pancake or latke. You could possibly oven bake lightly brushed with olive oil.

Or I’d treat it like mashed potatoes but it needs some good strong seasoning.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    It's supposed to be ready made mashed "potatoes" with cauliflower instead of potatoes. Taste was good but it was too watery for mashed potatoes as is. Probably I messed up the instructions??!!
  • lauriekallis
    Options

Tonight was carnitas, and there was much rejoicing, for they were tasty.

This just sounds so wonderful, Alexandra <3
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sounds interesting, PAV. I have tried boiling cauliflower and potatoes together if the plan was to mash them - and that worked well (right now the cauliflower is pretty expensive though) but I've never tried the pre mashed stuff.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It's supposed to be ready made mashed "potatoes" with cauliflower instead of potatoes. Taste was good but it was too watery for mashed potatoes as is. Probably I messed up the instructions??!!

No, you didn’t mess up. It’s a watery product. Laurie probably got it right by mixing potatoes and the cauliflower together. You could stir in a couple of spoonfuls of instant mashed potatoes.
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Thought about it Yooly but then it wouldn't have been worth the effort at all in terms of calories, so I gave it a chance as it was

So, basically, 570g of the prepared frozen cauli mash comes in at the same calories as a 605g finished product satchel of Betty Crocker.

Sure the cream/sauce taste for the cauli was good; but not the cauli smell. The powdered potatoes have better body and staying power and even with a bit of butter or milk would be within 100 Cal or closer.

So not a win for me for the cauli when prepared this way! If I were to mash my own probably a different story. But this was a prepared frozen ready to eat product
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank you for taking another one for the team, PAV. Now I know never to buy that product. But, next time I make Shepherd's Pie (probably this weekend - it seems a good thing to have in the freezer for a quick recovery meal) I'm going with the potato / cauliflower mash. Just a whole pile of fluffy white deliciousness on top of those lentils. That was a problem with my last batch - too much lentil too little fluffy white deliciousness. Not for any reason other than I underestimated the amount of potatoes to cook to match all the lentils. I think I put away 12 meals or so like that. This time the balance will no doubt be the other way :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    The more I think about it - the cauli/potato mash will work very well for dinners going into the freeze because the mashed potato topping tends to really stiffen up throughout the freeing/thawing process. This might just be a win/win :) Thank you for the inspiration. Don't know how I forgot about adding cauliflower to mashed potatoes ???? duh