Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,833 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Sure, toss in eggs, ham chunks, tuna, chicken, veggie hotdogs- whatever! The taste difference is the roasting of potatoes and other sundry veggies. Very flexible.
    Serve on bed of lettuce or other greens to bulk it up.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,627 Member
    Options
    My intent is to try Yooly's roasted recipe and add the eggs/use yogurt plus extras :) The roasted veggie part has really caught my imagination! I always top cauliflower with slices of garlic when I roast it - I imagine that could work for this salad also???
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Roasted garlic and cauliflower couldn’t be bad. It’s a good recipe to experiment with. Suit your own taste. I’d do small batches until you find what makes you happy.

Hubby’s grandma made a simple potato salad with potatoes (obviously), cucumbers, thin sliced red onion tossed with good olive oil and a little oregano. Dash of vinegar couldn’t hurt. Served room temperature. There’s something about the chunks of creamy potato with cool crisp cucumbers .....
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    You guys!!!!! The whole board will be eating potato salad.... fine. I've got one for you which I haven't tried yet I don't think but might someday :) potato red onions APPLE salad! 🙀
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sort of like the Shepherd's Type pie from a few weeks ago - still pulling portions of that delicious inspiration out of the freezer every week :)
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I won't be. I've had to largely give up nightshades. They make my arthritis worse. A little red salsa here and there, the occasional indulgence in marinara, but largely I've stepped away from potatoes.

Today's not a great day for me physically so it's just as well lunch is just waiting for me to eat it. We may get delivery for dinner as the dishwasher is scheduled to be delivered right at dinnertime.
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 2023
    Options
    New dishwasher - woohoo!

I think we could probably drive all the potato recipes into the ground. Maybe it’s time to focus on - I don’t know?- Brussels sprouts, zucchini, carrots, beets?

Today I’m doing lots of errands so salad with some shrimp tossed on top. Don’t know what’s for dinner yet.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I won't be. I've had to largely give up nightshades. They make my arthritis worse.

For me this potato salad is 750g cauliflower vs 400g potato - so maybe you can just take it the rest of the way and completely eliminate the potato, Alexandra :)

The next step is potatoless potato salad!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Maybe all those vegetables roasted in a potatoless potato salad, Yooly!
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Well, Alexandra's potato salad could be a potato-less potato salad and I bet she would figure out how to make a good one!!!!

ALEXANDRA CLOSE YOUR EYES: Allergen alert! :blush:

I got "sidetracked" today.... only brought home that rice bowl's worth of the stir fry, and it is now sitting over today's pre-prepared bunnies! the rest... err, has been consumed!: 7r2gefhl9o7w.png

Sliced beef and the veggies.

Sauces were just ginger and garlic "broths" and one partial sauce scoop of sesame oil chili oil, so I figure about 1.66 tablespoons or close to 200 Cal which makes it third to the beef and rice in terms of calories!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Ah - lovely Chinese meal! Usually big enough to feed four or one hungry PAV.

I can’t be trusted around Chinese or Thai food.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I supposed you're right that Mongolian Grill/BBQ truly is Chinese food from Taiwan! I don't tend to think of it as such. But it IS! Laurie would have used tofu instead of beef, chicken or pork. I went with beef! :smile: The sauces and adding noodles (or not) makes a major difference in terms of calories.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    There is a lot of interesting things happening on that plate!!!! Is that red cabbage???
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I went at an "off time" right before their afternoon close between lunch and dinner time. They are one of the places where they don't go by weight but by bowl instead. So whatever goes in the bowl (up to a maximum height before getting charged for a second!)

Going from memory, beef, shredded carrots, white onions were very low so I loaded up on fresh onions, loads of red cabbage, some mushroom, made a fence with broccoli to secure the rim :wink:, all the green peppers that were there, zucchini, and then made a sprinkling of celery, multiple scoops of "garlic broth" and "ginger broth" and a very very measured amount of sesame oil with chilli!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Today -a nice 6 oz. salmon, cauliflower rice, big salad.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Freezer pasta sauce (more like a veggie stew with a tomato base) on shirataki rice with fresh shaved romano and 4 plump kalamato olives :)

A nice summery feeling meal for a blizzardy day.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Blizzardy! I’m dealing with 90s again today but there should be a cool down to 60s next week. Cold salads to soup weather....
    Today we’re having manicotti shells stuffed with pulled pork in tomato sauce. I was inspired by Akis Petrizikis excellent recipe website and a chunk of leftover pork. I’ll have to go easy on dinner later. Maybe cereal and yogurt in honor of the heatwave.
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hmm haven't thought on it yet! Had another of these yesterday with friends. Actually I'm coming up with fairly low calories for them. I may pull up the old MFP meal where I had brought my bowl back home uncooked in a doggy bag so I could weight out my 'usual' ingredients. Well, a couple of samples averaged!🤷‍♂️

Place for pic 🤪 which will go away in a few days!

https://icedrive.net/s/f224hXY7SAxt6kkG53iS3PA1kkF9

Wearing grey! And yes, I did get a hug!!!🤪
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Looking good PAV! You’ve been in the Mongolian bbq a lot lately. It looks amazing.

Unfortunately our Mongolian bbq closed during covid. But we’re getting two Korean bbq places soon. Hubby spent a year in Korea - long time ago - he should remember enough to order some good stuff.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yes - Blizzard day yesterday, Yooly. Probably a foot of snow fell - because the ground was so warm a good amount melted into slush beneath the good 7 or 8 inches of snow that remained. It was really wet and sticky so everything looks so beautiful! Last night was amazing - took the pups to the lake and with no one around I could let them off their leashes. Thank goodness Laine chose not to go in this time. (To be safe I didn't put her coat on her.)

That meal looks amazing, PAV! YOU TOO :)