• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    I will be trying it myself
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,667 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Picked up a beautiful nice sized head of cauliflower today. It did come at a price - $5.99! But I could really spend my money on worse things. And I've been fantasizing about these cauliflower mashed potatoes since reading PAV's post.
    AND
    Just realized that I went into the grocery store and didn't, until now, think about buying a treat.
    WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME!!!??????????
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You're rediscovering the food smart Laurie that you've been hiding? Check out, potentially, institutional sized frozen riced cauli (or florette) bags.... not sure if they would come in at more or less than your per head price. I'm going to check the freezer at some point and see if I've got a bag or two of cauli and try your mashed cauli + potato trick! I am intrigued.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I buy frozen riced cauliflower - that is definitely more expensive. Today's price was really high. But I did get 985g of cauliflower out of it! (it is cooking now :) )
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I've been in the food smart place before - but not for months! It has only taken 6 weeks - which is not bad at all.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    So delicious! It is chilly here today, just over 20d by the lake - where I was walking before dinner. Crazy wind and waves and sand and rocks and that fluffy white deliciousness was just perfect :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    715g potatoes 500g cauli previously frozen 8g butter 288g 0% Greek 9g garlic powder 4g lemon pepper (also has salt) some chili flakes

8rtxyedioror.jpg
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    And....????? How is it?????
    I hadn't even thought of adding yogurt!!! Milk has protein but yogurt so much more.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    715g potatoes 500g cauli previously frozen 8g butter 288g 0% Greek 9g garlic powder 4g lemon pepper (also has salt) some chili flakes

I need to know the outcome!!!!

Because that looks really good.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,886 Member
    Options
    Well it looks interesting anyway..... I buy cauliflower riced as “filler” food for volume/less calories but I’m not a big fan of the taste.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Very garlicky! Much better than the commercial frozen one. Definitely worth a try.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I like your no peel potatoes - this is an efficient dish!
  • Athijade
    Options
    I need to figure out something that goes well with mashed potatoes/cauliflower mix stuff... cause I want to try this.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    @lauriekallis let's explore this: peel potatoes = nicer, smoother mash, no question about that that. AND =more work! Unpeeled potatoes are.... HEALTHIER, the peel is good, the internet told me so! (AND=less work!) And I've now learned to like it! So... WIN WIN WIN! :lol:

@Athijade I MAY have found a pouch of sliced beef on gravy to nuke with the potatoes... and it was a good combo!

Ended up splitting the mash in three. one by itself, and rest split in two sharing a 400 Calorie bag of sliced beef in gravy.... Maybe Ikea sausages and mushroom gravy for Laurie?
  • lauriekallis
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I am not questioning the wisdom of your choices, PAV, I'm admiring them.

I had veggie hot dogs on the side sprinkled with chipotle spice mix and a half cup of saurkraut. Same tomorrow. Same Friday. :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    saurkraut good and low calorie!
  • lauriekallis
    edited March 2023
    Options
    It is! The veggie dogs are pretty boring - the chipotle + saurkraut livens things up :p
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2023
    Options
    My nighttime beef and mash was the best of the three. And good actually.

Do you use one dog or two with the kraut? Why half cup and not oodles kraut? Kraut filler!!!

If two dog what's cheeper calories wise one dog plus an apple in the kraut (warmed up too possibly) or two dog?

Have you ever had an apple in the kraut?🤪😘

Inquiring minds inquire.

Like chipotle. Smokey. Got the one you suggested Amazon haven't tried the harissa!🙀
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    ANSWERS
    4 dogs! These aren't the sausages - they look like regular weiners - 45 calories / 8g protein each - these are how I'm getting my protein up to 100g a day.

1/2 c kraut does the trick - no need for filler :) 175g potatoes/175g cauliflower + some other random colourful veggie do that job well.

I have had apple in kraut - and cranberry which was really good. I haven't made kraut this year :( so am just eating the boring (hah - kraut is never boring) kind from a jar.

There is usually an apple in my afternoon

Your beef and mash sounds like a filling, stick to your ribs, kind of meal! My next version will include those cute little gem potatoes with the skins on (unless they have the 10lb bag of russet's on sale again. Last week they were $2.99! Hard to pay $3.99 for a little bag of little ones.

Tonight's dinner might include some mustard with those veggie dogs!!!! (and mash and kraut and random brightly coloured vegetable).
  • Athijade
    Options
    The chicken teriyaki bowls came out so good last night. It had:

3/4 cup of rice
    4 oz teriyaki chicken
    Half a bag of frozen Asian vegetables stir fried with teriyaki
    Roasted zucchini, yellow squash, and mushrooms
    Drizzled with some Yum Yum sauce (you know that pinkish sauce at hibachi places)

I will have the same for lunch.

Tonight will be the Greek Salmon bowls.

Roasted or pan fried salmon filet
    Couscous with feta, cherry tomatoes, and green onions mixed in
    Arugula and spinach tossed with olive oil and red wine vinegar
    Drizzled with tzatziki