Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,637 Member
    Options
    For supper today - Shepherd's Lentil Pie from the freezer - a new batch with a cauliflower/potato mash topping. I'm pretty excited to try it!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Half of a roast beef sub for lunch. The other half for dinner with a salad. They claim it’s 380 calories for the whole thing 👍. I haven’t had a sandwich in forever. I do miss bread!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Cauliflower for me too today, as the main dish tho. We call this Κουνουπίδι γιαχνί or Κουνουπίδι καπαμά. Essentially a cauliflower stew with or without potatoes (went without, for this time).

G6ExvC4.jpg

0aePpHh.jpg

of course, the 2 pound salad side still applies..turnips are still in season here, so I've been adding them to salads since Jan. :D

EWVeFBk.jpg

WNKBo9Z.jpg

Hope everyone is doing well!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    I may have to get your SALAD RECIPE someday. Every time I end up making "salads" they seem to end up more calories than they're worth. Which doesn't happen if i make a "salad" out of "vegetables"

The other day I made a beetroot, tiny peas, onion salad: great satiation to calories ratio! But regular "salads"? A little bit of cheese here, a tiny fingerful of nuts there, maybe some dried this or that or another... and the calories increase!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Thing with salads is to avoid the add ons. Just veggies- no bits of cheeses, nuts, meats, dried stuff. That’s where the calories hide. Oh and the salad dressing has the be measured.
    We all need Dante’s BIG SALAD recipe. Especially the dressing.

Guess Lent is going well for Dante...
  • Dante_80
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Well...here is a variant you might like. This one gets you a little more than 3 pounds of ready to eat salad, for about 500 calories. 23g of fiber and 21g of protein to boot (as well as a ton of vitamins and minerals of course).

e5Xr2xu.png
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    that all looks so delicious, Dante!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Cottage cheese in the dressing or on the side?
  • Dante_80
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Cottage cheese in the dressing or on the side?

You literally throw everything in a bowl and stir-toss like a mad(wo)man. I don't have the finesse for anything fancier lol. :D
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I’ll try the cottage cheese in my salad this evening. I usually have all veggies anyway. The turnip is an interesting ingredient. I didn’t know these can be eaten raw. I’ll give that a try too! Thanks Dante.
  • Dante_80
    edited March 2023
    Options
    You can eat it raw, including the greens, and with the skin on actually (the peel, especially in larger turnips has a mildly bitter, earthy taste that I like. It is also loaded with nutrients).
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Same with me, Yooly. I had never thought of adding turnip to a salad. Though cottage cheese is something Ive incorporated often. Thank you, Dante.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I did some googling. Apparently raw turnip is a thing. Who knew? I should have guessed because a common salad ingredient in Mexican salads is jicama. It’s a root veggie related to turnip with a sweet apple-like taste.
    So I’ll definitely try turnips! A whole new food adventure.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    So I really messed up my meal plan at the end of the week. My greens went bad so I didn't have a base for falafel bowls. I forgot to buy a baking potato to have with steak. So I ended up ordering in last night and will have leftovers tonight and tomorrow. I guess the upside is that I found more yummy food at a great place near me. I already loved their pad thai, but I got pad see ew and a coconut chicken curry over noodles this time and both are so good. It will be really nice when the weather gets better because this place is like a 2-3 minute walk from my place. And reasonably priced for the amount of food.

Need to work on my meal plan today for next week. Going to a convention next weekend so need to figure out food I can bring with me to that cause I can't afford to eat out multiple meals for 3 days!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    @Athijade is that a meandering around convention or do they have breakout sessions and sandwiches and coffee for some of the sessions?
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Athijade don’t know if you’re flying or driving to the convention. If there’s a microwave and fridge in the room there’s lots of choices to take along. Packets of oatmeal, ramen cups, dry soups, .... not the greatest choices but they’ll do the job.
    Before retirement, I traveled quite a bit. If there was a grocery or 7 Eleven nearby I could pick up salads, fruit or sandwiches to stock in the fridge for dinner later.

Today was shrimp and grits - defatted version. A sprinkle of bacon and smoked Gouda on top. And a good shot of Tabasco! Also the usual daily salad.
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hold it there Texas! You had breakfast shrimps? If grits are filling... how come I don't hear of them more often?!?!?!

Weird day today! Ended up consuming the second (last) tray of green giant cauli mash. Even though this was the "bacon" version, the "prompted by Laurie" red potato cauli mash I made the other day was WAY superior!

Sorry. Too tired. Good night/good morning! :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Shrimp and grits is a lunch/dinner meal in the south. Plenty of good recipes out there. Most involve butter, cheese and bacon too with a red sauce. Very filling but WOW calories. So all of the extras- except sauce-were on the side for us.
    Grits are are ground cornmeal product. I imagine like mush? Or porridge? It’s more common here than oatmeal and served for breakfast too. Or a side dish of grits and cheese. Plain grits are about the same calories as oatmeal without the slimy feel.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I like grits - but haven't had them in a long while....hmmm.....

My cauli-potato mash was prompted by you, PAV. It is good if we are prompting each other to healthy filling foods!!!!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @Athijade is that a meandering around convention or do they have breakout sessions and sandwiches and coffee for some of the sessions?

Meandering. It is a comic and entertainment convention. It is here in Chicago so will be taking the train downtown Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. No access to a fridge or microwave. I will be going to panels, meeting celebs, shopping... all that fun stuff.

I do need to see what is near the convention center as the food there is always over priced. But I will need to pack snacks so I can quickly eat something between panels and stuff.