Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    All kind of worthy snacks out there Athijade. Find something compact, filling and that fits in your calorie goal. Whole lot of protein bars fit into a purse!
    Usually convention centers are surrounded by high price restaurants because there’s a big captive hungry audience trapped in the center.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    A greek salad for today.

OxIdYcB.jpg

WQ3Kgl8.jpg

I'm out of feta cheese, and the next can I have ordered won't be ready till late April (we get it from a relative that herds around 100 sheep, and makes feta every 4 months or so).

So as a stopgap, I grated some XynoMizithra on top for good measure, and was surprised to find it fit rather well! :)

You learn something every day!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    That is one lovely salad Dante! I like how you have so much variety in your salads. Not just the usual lettuce, tomato, cucumber mix.
    And the thought of having homemade feta cheese is awesome. You are so fortunate to have access to local fresh foods. Texas is a desert where produce is brought in from various corners of the world and is of dubious age and quality- even in the best stocked grocery stores.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,614 Member
    Options
    Beautiful, Dante!!!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Today is the last day of birthday celebrations :) younger son & his gal, former husband and his wife coming by. I'm going all out and pulling two types of soup from the freezer :) plus making a third potato/leek/white bean soup. Inspired by PAV (and a sale at the grocer's) I'm using red skinned potatoes - with the skins on. That should make it colourful!
    Corn chips, hummus, celery and red peppers on the side.
    Crustless pumpkin pie with whipped cream and raspberries in lieu of cake :)

Former husband suggested that this sounded like a dinner for our son - and yes, it is, because him being tickled with the meal will make me happiest on my birthday. <3

It has been some two weekends and a week. Looking forward to settling into a more normal reality next week. Maybe even work in my yard a bit (fingers crossed). Last week, there was massive work done out there to replace a section of lateral sewer. Front yard and entrance to the back is a depressing mess. of mud and gravel and broken fence and gate and boxes full of dug up perennials. But, I'm almost at the place where I can think of it as something I can tackle. Last week it just made me cry. Thank goodness for all those calories :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    Options
    Sounds an awesome dinner

And that salad like awesome Dante and I bet less calories than with feta as you probably used less cheese by weight
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Looking forward to a normal eating day tomorrow :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Let's talk about crust less pumpkin pie 🤔🤔🤔😝
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    delicious :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You like living dangerously, don't you! Let's assume that I would be intrigued as to how such a pie was constructed!!!! :smiley:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    :)

This particular batch I was not as specific as I should have been.
    I'm making it again on Wednesday....I will post the new recipe.
    Basically something along these lines.

Beat together:
    -1 large tin of pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
    -3 eggs
    -1 tin regular evaporated milk
    -3 heaping teaspoons of cornstarch
    -some demerara sugar (not certain how much in this batch - like two heaping tablespoons)
    -two tablespoons of garam masala (any cinnamon combo should work)
    -a pour of Jamaican vanilla extract - maybe a tablespoon? or two?
    -lots of sprinkles of salt from the shaker
    -a bit of the cream of tartar I bought for the meringues (don't think you need this - but it is supposed to stop stuff from weeping which pumpkin pie has a tendency to do - so I may as well use it since I won't be making those meringues anytime soon).

poured this into six small buttered ramekins (pie plate/cake pan/pyrex of any sort should suffice)
    baked at my oven's one temperature :) until firmish.

eat warm with whipped cream if you dare/have calories to spare :)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I do a crustless pumpkin pie - no where near as fancy (or maybe tasty) as Laurie’s but quick. I use fat-free evaporated milk which works just fine.

https://www.verybestbaking.com/libbys/recipes/crustless-libby-s-famous-pumpkin-pie/
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I think they are very similar, Yooly?
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    But no ramekins or Jamaican vanilla or Garam Marsala orDemerara sugar. Yours is the upscale version Laurie!
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2023
    Options
    ramekins... hard no...
    Jamaican vanilla, oh my. But I do have vanilla splenda!?!?!?!
    Garam Masala? I should. But I don't. But I have pumpkin spice!
    Demerara Sugar, again, oh my. Yooly is right, high end! :wink: ... I'm sure I'll find something *hides head and mutters liquid sucralose* unless, of course, it's needed for structure.

Looks through cabinet and asks timidly: would ed smith pumpkin puree do? Now where did I put that tin of evaporated skim! :wink:

I do have that "brownie" pan that never worked that great... but it "pre-slices" and lifts and all that fancy stuff.... hmmmmm.........

INTERESTING. (does greek yogurt fit in there?!?!?!)

Maybe next weekend though. a bit too busy tonight. Maybe not. This is tempting!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sounds like you have what you need. Demerara/brown sugar adds some extra flavour but not necessary splenda will probably work well. Pumpkin puree is perfect. pumpkin spice is perfect. Vanilla is not necessary - but if you have it it is good. I just happen to have Jamaican because it came in a big cheap bottle! Brownie pan should work too! Youre gonna have a crustless pumpkin pie this weekend, PAV!
  • lauriekallis
    edited March 2023
    Options
    My friend brought a sort of French version of this dish to me last week. Beans in broth. I think I turned it a little bit more Mediterranean using olive oil and kale and tomatoes and carrots and vegetable broth and great northern white beans.
    It's really pretty good. I'm pleased with it for supper tonight and I'm putting a dozen meals worth away into the freezer later.
    About 240 calories per serving and it didn't need to be that high but I went a little bit crazy with the olive oil ... 🙂o9ppves2ssph.jpg

• PAV8888
    Options
    looks awesome... though a bit beanie! :lol: Mine looks terrible but tastes pretty good :wink: spiral beats with some antipasto calabrese pickles, a little bit of tomato basil classico sauce and some pan fried chicken breast pieces/nuggets that arrived from downstairs--seems that with Ramadan delivery restrictions have been lifted :hushed:
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 2023
    Options
    The bean stew looks beautiful! Like PAV, most of my meals are good but not very photogenic.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    my meals are rarely pretty....this one was so I couldn't resist. Though I intended to get a photo of it plated, with maybe a sprig of something green :) that did not happen.