Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Actually quite good both tasty and filling.

Was total random sort of combining avgolemono soup with Dante's fricassee

The kale believe it or not is pre cut and awesome for the purpose. President choice frozen.

Told you above how I started. Added 136g very bright yolk eggs, 60g lemon juice--i could use more lemony--and 1g chili peppers.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    Big sigh of relief over the precut kale. I was worried you had been kidnapped/replaced, PAV!

Today I have a bowl of lentils w broth/kale/carrots - very much like that beans I made last week - my friend brought by last night. Later I'll try the avgolemono with lentils :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    But I went bonkers and actually got three big remain lettuce hearts to maybe chop up and put in an avgolemono (egg-lemon) thingy. Something was obviously malfunctioning yesterday!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Maybe you have been possessed by the spirit of the Easter Bunny?!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I am minimizing the chocolate eggs so that individual is not currently. My favorite person Even though they continue to make it into the house
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    But this particular Easter Bunny is a lover of all things green!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    OMG- hubby just brought home chocolate eggs with Oreo cookie cream inside. Had to have one at 175 calories a pop. Worth every bite - even with the evil two pounds that found me this morning.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    It happens!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Excited to get back to eating some decent meals this week after a weekend of grab and go Con food. I didn't find out until Sunday (after I ate too) that the upstairs Cafe has salads and fresh sandwiches. Well, will keep that in mind for next year!

Tomorrow night will be some street tacos. I picked up a kit at the store. Meat and tortillas have to be heated and it comes with cabbage, cheese, and salsa. I also have some guacamole already. So pretty healthy!

Then having hamburger helper, but adding broccoli to it.

Then the last meal of the week will be thai coconut chicken, rice, and some vegetable from the freezer.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Glad you had a good time Athijade!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Did she have a good time????? menu sounds interesting!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Hope you had a good time, Athijade!
  • Athijade
    Options
    Farmer's Markets are starting to open back up! Hoping to get to one this weekend. I will have to take a bus there (just a bit too far of a walk), but it is a bigger one then my local market. Not sure what they will have at this point in the season but want to get a feel for it.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Maybe some greenhouse veggies?????

I have some kale and an open tin of chickpeas in the fridge (I just got a new can opener and had to try it :) ) so my supper will, hopefully, include those ingredients.
  • Athijade
    Options
    Maybe some greenhouse veggies?????

Hopefully! Even Greenhouse veggies would be amazing right now. Especially if anyone has some greens because I am finally going to do those falafel bowls next week but want it on a bed of greens. I also have some Delicata squash for them that I will roast up. Think the bigger market will be a "when I want to get out" type of thing, but I will do the small market by my apartment weekly (weather permitting). Then maybe even travel and visit ones downtown or in other neighborhoods!

I am going to start really focusing on quality of my food.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Sounds like fun actually!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm back to floundering mode. But. Did make fun/potentially good discovery with that can of chickpeas. I roasted them with ??? 1/2 tsp of coconut oil and chipotle spicing. Today 20g of those were part of my breakfast. They actually go really nicely with my usual clementines. To which I've now added 10g of almonds. Perhaps I'm on my way to a solid breakfast routine???

Today's goal is not to eat a cake for supper.
  • Athijade
    Options
    Today's goal is not to eat a cake for supper.

I had cake last night after dinner. While not healthy, I DID only have half the piece and am saving the other half for tonight. So I consider that a win. I was proud of myself for being able to close the box and say "I am done".

I really need to get back to reducing my added sugar intake again. I had SO much more energy when I was focused on that.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Very good work, Athijade. That is an accomplishment that I have not made in ????
  • PAV8888
    Options
    hmmm..... there is something to be said for some hamster tricking work Laurie!

Let's do a nice little house walk through. We are boxing up for "donation" to our friends anything that we can not turn into 50/75/100/150/200 Cal bags of goodies. At 200Cal we are at full candy bar/granola bar/fig bar/packages territory and snacks even I admit should only be eaten one at a time!

Goal is to reduce the number of goody goodies in the house and concentrate on filling for the calories stuff. And then we will do some hamster work!

Heck for that matter, let's see whether we can prepare some fruit (ziplog baggies if no tupperware. personally I would probably go lemon juice in ziplog baggies, shake from bag to bag, then put my fruities in there): Why fruities? because hey: they tend to be less Cal and more filling and sort of still give you the "hit".

From da net of the inter: "Trapped inside the tissue of fruits are molecules known as enzymes. These enzymes help fruit ripen and turn brown. When fruit is cut or starts to break down, the enzyme is released from the tissue of the fruit and exposed to air which causes the fruit to rapidly change color. This is known as enzymatic browning. Keep cut fruits, such as apples, pears, bananas, and peaches from turning brown by: Coating them with an acidic juice such as lemon, orange, or pineapple juice. Use a commercial anti-darkening preparation with fruits, such as Fruit-Fresh®*, and follow the manufacturer's directions. Mix them with acidic fruits like oranges, tangerines, grapefruit and other citrus fruit or pineapple. Prepare the acidic fruit(s) first. Then, cut the other fruits, mixing them in with the acidic fruit(s) as you prepare them. Mix with honey water. Dilute 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 cup of water, mix cut fruit with the diluted honey. Cover and refrigerate cut fruit until ready to serve.

So here we are. We've ejected super bombs and portion packed a whole bunch of goodies.

When I first started many many moons ago, here were the hamster rules.

Can I have goodies? Of course I can have goodies! Who are we kidding that I won't have goodies! Goodies for the win! I can have anything and everything. Just not all at once and not all the time!

Oh? And when/how can I have goodies? (at the time I was still sitting on the couch watching TV and reading ebooks on the kindle).

Well there now exist goodie consumption rules.

Eating a goodie is a sacred hamster ritual! We can't just do that while distracted watching TV! To eat goodie we have to get up from the couch. Walk to the goodie drawer in the kitchen (mine was easy to access but you could require to get a stool to climb up to it too if you wanted!). Select the goodie bag. ONE goodie bag. We cannot open the goodie bag. We now have to log the goodie bag. Accurately. making sure we are using a double checked entry (this only slows things down the first time but it is stored after, right). We also double check the weight. And log it. We cannot eat it here. We now walk back to couch. Sit. PAUSE the TV. Eat the goodies with full concentration. BUT I WANT MORE GOODIES. OF COURSE little hamster. You're absolutely allowed to have a second goody.

But there's rules! (My rules were step based at the time but time based would do as well) You can have a second goodie if we clock 250 steps on our fitbit (or 500, or wait 3 minutes or wait 5 minutes). repeat EXACTLY as above for second goodie. You could mix in higher value or less value snack packs for the first or second snackie.

So I am now back in front of the paused TV and I've consumed two snacks and I want a third. Why OF COURSE little hamsters you can have a third. Why not. The more the merrier. But, regardless of weather, the third snack requires that we walk... around the block (or insert what you will).

But I want a fourth snack. Absolutely. Fourth snack is coming right up. But regardless of whether we already have the snack in the house or not, this is a high value acquisition and we are going to play the pretend game of walking to the store to "buy" it. (distance to the store I was using was 7 minutes to go and 9 to come up the hill) After "buying" it, same procedure as above.

But I want a fifth snack. Why yes. We are going to "go get" our fifth snack. This one requires going to the store that is (at the time) 35 minutes up the hill and 30 minutes to come back

BTW. if the desire was for a snack that was NOT in the house for any one of them, again it was an absolute go, BUT, the rule was that I would walk to go and buy it and would not consume it till after I was back and all the other setups were in place (logged, seated, undistracted while eating it).

Can't say that the whole thing lasted for a very long time. And I sure don't use most of the above tricks (to my detriment in terms of calories). But it did give me a solid start and parts of all this I still do.

The next step after all that was to fill the house with high volume low calories for the volume snacks (the sugar free puddings) or the more nutritious yogurts with high fiber cereal and mix ins etc. i.e. ADD to your goodies selection... stuff you still want to eat (apples, yum), but that offer better value for the calories.

Just FYI, I did get to the fourth snack but I don't think I ever got to the fifth snack.

The general idea is to delay, distract, and break out of any zone or compulsive, or quick eating. Minimizing and fighting damage wherever possible.