Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,818 Member
    A few too many sugary treats yesterday resulted in stomach upset today. I don’t know whether to rejoice at being unable to overload on sugar or be sad that I’ll need to restrict that too. So many foods that I can’t tolerate unless I’m very moderate!

Today was careful, bland food and hoping to feel better tomorrow.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,611 Member
    That is a tricky one, Yooly.

I guess. In time. We'll find other things to bring us pleasure and comfort. Food will become less important?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    actually I don't necessarily count NOT wanting to over-indulge as a bad thing. The problem for me with treats is that I am not treating them as a treat because hey: the more the merrier, right? So something has to impose a limit to my quest on treat maximization! Currently I guess it's logging... but a timely tummy ache... not sure if it would be a terrible thing for me! Assuming that enough treats can be consumed before onset!!!!! :wink:
  • PAV8888
    So the last 1/3 of the 14 bunnies remain for tomorrow due to being over full from them!
  • lauriekallis
    That was a late night, PAV! Nice to have bunnies waiting for you on this side of your sleep :)

Not sure what I am having for supper today - slept in late and have woken up somewhat voracious - going to have to changeup the standard breakfast plan if I'm going to make it through to supper. Might add some green soup to the morning menu :)
  • PAV8888
    Bunnies? Beets seem to do a good number on me. Add peas and onion for protein veggie and fullness factor?
  • lauriekallis
    Green soup bunnies for breakfast :) That was a first. Perhaps I should throw in some red bunnies later today.
  • Yoolypr
    Took Dante’s idea to add raw turnips to my salads. Loved it. Thanks Dante!
  • PAV8888
    I have pickled turnips! I like "swedes". Wait a second them swedes are rutabagas not turnips, aren't they? Dang... grocery store here I come (it would be cheating to ask google, or I guess we should now be saying, the "new bing"!)
  • PAV8888
    pft... they ARE! They are also AWESOME if you boil the suckers and add a tiny bit of sucralose (other people add sugar; but more calories, right?) and mash them (other people add some butter too; but, again, more calories... and they're still good without!)
  • lauriekallis
    I think they are quite good all on their own - no sweetener, no butter :)
  • Yoolypr
    Don’t know from veggie Swedes. Around here those are folks from Sweden 🇸🇪.
    I’m with Laurie on leaving the turnips natural. Raw and chopped - no cooking, mashing or buttering needed. Leave that to the 🥔.
  • PAV8888
    Hey mashed rutabaga. You will be surprised!
  • lauriekallis
    I like mashed rutabaga - but just with pepper is fine by me :)
  • PAV8888
    489g cauliflower and 499g of broccoli deployed for bunnies and nuked to semi ready status. I would like to register a protest for my under filled bags! I was so happy to be deploying a kilogram of bunnies and they cheated me! 🙀
  • lauriekallis
    cheaters
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2023
    Nice to hear you liked those turnips, they really go well in salads! They are also very good mashed, as PAV said. You WILL need some butter and a little grated nutmeg to really make it work tho.

Got some fresh ραδίκια (I google this as common chicory in english) from the village, so I had to make a Fricassee stew with them (aygolemono to be exact)!

Since it will be a couple of months till my feta can is ready..I caved in and bought a low fat one from the store. Will do.

fIdBg30.jpg

AryKCIK.jpg

They were delicious! Obligatory greek salad too.

aiObOQD.jpg
  • Yoolypr
    Why do Dante’s dinners look so wonderful every time? I looked up the Fricassee recipe. Obviously the sauce is unbelievably delicious. However I am not sure if raw chickory is even sold here. The only time I’ve seen chickory mentioned is as an additive to ground coffee especially in the French culture in Louisiana. Would the Fricassee work with kale, collard greens, or chard? Spinach?

The raw turnip in salad is really tasty. I’ve had cooked, mashed turnips but never knew you could eat them raw. The Mexican jicama is a mild turnip-always used raw- in salads here in Texas. So I should have known!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2023
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Would the Fricassee work with kale, collard greens, or chard? Spinach?

Of course, you can put pretty much everything you like! For example, a well known combo is lettuce with spring onions and a little dill. Sorrel, spinach, leeks, chard, hartwort, collard, purple amaranth etc etc can also be used, we tend to go with what is in season (or simply what we forage when going out for a walk).

• PAV8888
    I've always wondered because the usual translation to radishes was obviously wrong.

With recent improvements we have: ραδίκια = radishes via Google translate old style.

Hello, this is Bing. I can help you with your translation question. According to Bing Translator1, ραδίκια in English is chicory. This is also confirmed by other sources234. Chicory is a plant with edible leaves and roots that are sometimes used as a coffee substitute. Radishes are a different plant with crunchy red roots and green leaves. I hope this helps you.😊

Learn more:
    1. bing.com
    2. glosbe.com
    3. linguee.com
    4. glosbe.com