Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,592 Member
    Dante - I would love your take on the recipe. Skip the tomato & BBQ sauce though - it didn't really work :)
    I would love you to try it so that you can post your spices. More onion and mushroom probably would have helped...but alas I used what was in the fridge.

PAV, I love your approach, too, especially the two handed scissoring :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    Seems we have started something with this! Love to see how everyone else is making their versions. Some great ideas, though I am not sure my digestive track is ready for lentils yet! Still adjusting to the increased fiber I am already giving it.

Ended up ordering Pad Thai last night. Been craving it for a couple weeks and had the calories. Really love the one I get from a local place because they use cabbage mixed in with the noodles. So less calories and more veg and fiber. Going to have leftovers tonight, but will roast some broccoli to go with it.

Also been loving my breakfasts this week. 2 hardboiled eggs and a piece of toast with avocado and EBTB seasoning. Eggs are still expensive, but I love them so I budget for them.

Today I added a 6oz glass of strawberry kefir to it. It's interesting. A bit sour and a bit sweet. Not too bad.
  • lauriekallis
    The shepherds pie streak has been fun!

I like the idea of mixing cabbage with the noodles for pad thai. I would probably skip the noodles completely and go all cabbage - but - hmmm....that might be something to try!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,541 Member
    Maybe next time I forget to eat my slaw mix until after it expired would be a good idea to try with noodles!!!

So don't get me wrong I'm quite happy with my herding dog inspired glassware containers but something in them I'm pretty sure has increased my total fiber intake and I have to suspect that it's they do it yourself meat just add water and oil!🤣 I am by no stretch of the imagination complaining it's just an observation. I'll actually have to go back and check the ingredient list but I believe that my eye caught plant cellulose as one of them so that could be very likely the culprit! Not sure not sure if that would help or hinder an Amazon review so maybe I will not mention!
  • lauriekallis
    Is this the one you used, PAV?
    znv8ct3dfa9i.jpg
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,810 Member
    edited February 2023
    Here’s a quick use for aging slaw mix or a real cabbage. I’ve used sriracha instead of harissa. Also a chopped onion goes well with this. Serve over cauliflower rice or shiritake noodles. Or regular noodles.

Simple sauteed cabbage with Harissa - a North African combination of hot peppers and spices, that adds both heat and complex flavor

5 min Prep Time
    10 min Cook Time

Ingredients:
    2-3 cups chopped cabbage
    oil for pan
    1 tablespoon Harissa (or to taste)

Instructions:
    Chop and wash the cabbage.
    Heat oil in the pan, then add cabbage and stir. Let cook a few minutes, stirring frequently, until it starts to soften.
    Push cabbage to the side of the pan, and add a splash of water and the harissa. Soften the paste in the water, then stir the cabbage well to distribute the seasoning,
    Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage is cooked to your taste - approximately five minutes.

• PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    Am I hearing you say: STIR FRY THE SUCKER???? :lol::love:

Laurie you're extremely insightful! My first attempt was made with water to the halfway point of the water/oil mark which from memory was a good 125-150ml more than what I was expecting based on verbiage on the bag. And oil I used 21g of avocado oil instead of the 90ml they were talking about. And my contents were 260g instead of 270! :angry:

Yoolie... actually I am going to order more "meat" from amazon and probably try to go the stir fry route with sriracha and "meat". I should look for harissa next time I stumble upon it. Used to know an Ismaeli dude from East Africa originally. He/his girl used to make some awesome chicken stews and I believe some harissa was used.
  • Yoolypr
    Yup - stir fry, toss in some fake or real meat. Leftover bacon crumbles or chicken works well. Bok choy is good too. Definitely get some harissa. It’s fairly hot but in a different way from sriracha.
  • lauriekallis
    Feeling some cabbage urges coming on!
    I've grown really fond of chipotle seasoning. I don't really like the taste of eggs and that seasoning turns them into something wonderful! It's not hot but with a splash of sriracha it can be.

Usually order from Amazon...
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DTG5PHJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
  • PAV8888
    tamagotchi pet amazon was just fed!
  • lauriekallis
    Lol. Amazon is quite the pet. (if I follow)
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    You click to feed and pet your tamagotchi pets... i sometimes feel like I've adopted an Amazon pet that I keep feeding! :lol::wink:

Among other things a bag that looks exactly like the picture you posted is on its way to me!
  • Yoolypr
    My Costco has this ranch powder in 20 ounce size. It’s on sale for about $8.
    if5pnj2aub2r.jpeg

Claims to be 0 calories. You can make dips and dressings. I’m thinking of using low fat Greek yogurt as a base. Not bad sprinkled on veggies or potatoes. My favorite is to sprinkle on popcorn. I use cooking spray to help it stick.
  • PAV8888
    I would double check the amount that claims to be zero calories and probably depending on what the contents are assume that it's close to four calories per gram or so because you know I would probably be unlikely to use just 1 g!

Of course by the same token I think that my multiple pounds of pav more likely come from cookies then powdered ranch dressing but hey
  • lauriekallis
    Day number three of herder-type pie-ish casserole. Raining today. Perfect meal! SO glad I made this.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    I've been stopping and getting slices from a place near dad's and logging them at what I thought was correct(ish) values.
    Today I decided to blow (financial) budgets and "take one for the team", to establish approximate weights! The cheapies are plain cheese and pepperoni (of course). So I got the 2 piece specials... x2! And then I unloaded the plain cheese versions on my unsuspecting victims neighbours downstairs!!!! And didn't tell them I had "scale handled" them!!! :lol:

Turns out... I was fairly correct with my logging actually! For values of "correct" since we have no way of actually KNOWING. But less than 10% difference between what I was logging and the weight based estimate!

For the record, the pepperoni slices are now officially averaged at 225g each. And the plain cheese ones at 200g
  • PAV8888
    Yes, I did throw in there 311g of herder-pie-II for variety Laurie!
  • lauriekallis
    Good of you to take one for the team! Research is always important. I'm glad you included some herder-pie in your day :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    Made chicken korma with peas last night and served it over rice mixed with riced cauliflower and broccoli. It was good. May toss in some cashews tonight for the leftovers. The rice mixture worked well, but only because the sauce really covered a lot of the taste. Not a huge fan of it on its own. I did about half a cup of rice and 3/4 a cup of the veggie rice. Half and half might be better but I steamed the whole bag of the riced veggies and didn't want to waste any.
  • lauriekallis
    Good going, Athijade.

Thankfully I actually really like the taste of the cauliflower rice (haven't tried the mixed) - which reminds me that I haven't had it in a while....might be time to pick some up!