Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,621 Member
    Options
    Hmm.

You know me and bunnies @Athijade I don't know that I would let them escape uneaten!

Mind you rice and veggie mix should keep well in the fridge and may be worth it to you to make a larger batch and save the extras if it helps you nail the proportions.

Interesting re korma. I tend to avoid it when I have a choice and go towards butter chicken because of the cashews. I find that they blend in TOO well for me (they are mild tasting to me) thus increasing the quantity needed to get my "fix" of believing I had enough of them. And being high fat and high calories the bill for eating them goes up fast!

For whatever reason, in general, I consume relatively fewer calories when consuming almonds and stay satiated longer for the same Calories with peanuts.

I'm lucky because locally we have a pretty good tasting butter chicken sauce that's relatively speaking slightly lower calories (blue menu butter chicken sauce) and i tend to go with that in preference to either full fat butter chicken or korma
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Can of Progresso Santa Fe chicken lite soup. Side salad with a bit of tuna.

It’s cold today. Hubby was dealing with the tree cutters. It took over three hours for them to clean up the mess and get rid of the many hanging damaged limbs. Neither of us was in the mood to cook.

We haven’t been grocery shopping much while waiting for the call that we were on the arborists schedule for the day. So tomorrow it’s off to the grocery. But I’m going with hubby cause he’s been away from his favorite places for nearly ten days. Heaven only knows what he’d drag home if left to his own devices! 😱
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,625 Member
    Options
    Glad the fallen limb saga is behind you now, Yooly.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Finished all of the Herder-Type pie that isn't in the freezer so back to my roasted cauliflower/broccoli with shaved garlic and scrambled eggs with feta and sriracha. Tonight I'm living it up a bit with a heaping tablespoon (which my little scale tells me is the equivalent to 4 tablespoons!) of Russian style eggplant spread - which seems have lots of red pepper and other delicious stuff in it. Because the spoonful weight so much - it suddenly added 60 calories not the 30 that I bargained for. But I have room for that and it is delicious :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You only weigh the contents and tare the spoon, right?!?! :hushed::wink:

I probably shouldn't discuss today.... suffice it to say that my ladies were definitely in the Leopard category, and lovely! Their past wine consumption practice probably helped them cope better than me with the TWO (very full) glasses of wine (one rose and one red chianti) and the shot of tia maria... However after sitting at the table for a while (and after a second cup of coffee with no tia maria)... I was able to march back to the elevators as steadily as anyone else--even if I didn't use a walker!!!

Still: it was actually a fun evening!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Yeah but those oldsters didn’t have to drive home PAV! Be careful out there.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Making some French onion chicken tonight with roasted brussels sprouts.

Had toast with peanut butter for breakfast. Just enough to hold me over on my walk to Whole Foods. Going at about 11 and planning to get something there for lunch. Just to do something new and it gets me outside moving. So win win.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sounds like you had fun, PAV? :) And, listen to Yooly, she is watching out for you.

Yes - I remembered not to include the weight of the spoon. But it just goes to show you (me) how inaccurate that form of measurement is. What seems like a reasonable "tablespoon" of ... peanut butter/hummus/eggplant spread is more likely 4.

Hope you have a find outing, Athijade. How is the weather there?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Oh, well, try again with running a straight edge over your spoon 😉🤠

But yes, I do weight everything, including liquids (conversion tables do exist)

The hardest is ice cream because in Canada it's sold by volume, not weight, and, sadly, 1:1 is a distant dream for most ice cream.

Have I emptied out cartons of ice cream to determine weight as per the pizza slice experiment the other day? Of course I have! 🤣🤣🤣
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options

Hope you have a find outing, Athijade. How is the weather there?

It was a nice walk. Weather is beautiful atm. 40's, sunny, and not too windy. A hoodie and hat was perfect. Maybe a little chilly on my face but so nice to get out in the fresh air.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    How was the whole foods neighborhood?
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    Options
    For lunch I polished off the second half of the sweet kale salad which I ate without using any of the dressing or seeds (which kind of makes it just a kale-like salad I guess 🤪). I've saved them for a splurge! 🤣 Added a clover leaf Spanish medley tuna on top (230 Cal for just over 173g) and 105g of baby tomatoes. My bunnies are fine! 🤠😘
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Oh, well, try again with running a straight edge over your spoon ... 🤣🤣🤣

I'm okay with the quantity - but for whatever reason it still quite astounds me how inaccurate that measurement system is for anything able to bind together.

That does sound like the most boring (???nasty??? :) ) sweet kale salad ever!

• PAV8888
    Options
    Huh? na, the spanish medley tuna blended into the salad just fine. The other half yesterday where I tried to "save" by only using the sardine fillets (have you noticed that brunswick no longer makes herring fillets but they're all sardine now? I wonder what the story is there), anyway. The other half yesterday was too dry... but I was "saving" for the big dinner!

Today's second lunch?? about 3.5 hours later and after our walk-siez was more interesting :wink: I started a 280 Cal stouffer's lasagna in the nuker... but was AMBUSHED by my neighbours BBQing outside! Ended up with 42g of char grilled chicken breast, 20g of actual hamburger hamburger, and I quickly prepped a "burger" and gave it to her to cook (my 79g of left-over DIY meat to which I added half an egg and most of the white of a slice of bread... while splitting the rest of the egg and the outside half of the bread with the girl :wink:). Between everything... I am up to 1300 Cal so far today... which is not terrible depending on whether I stop till evening or not!!! :fearful:
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    After almost a year, I had the chance to make a special delicacy again, Παστουρμαδόπιτα! (Greek Pastirma Pie).

YD68mXB.jpgH5sv3rc.jpg

My sister in law sent over some good camel pastirma, which has an extraordinary taste, there was no way I'd let this opportunity go away. So, we made it together today.

a39wl0m.jpgoRdKHeh.jpg

The result was pretty good.

7AuuMLT.jpgi6aF9mb.jpg

Well, to be 100% truthful, it came out a little soggier than I wanted.

UzLTq0y.jpgiFyUAi7.jpg

..but I'll have to live with it. :p

• Yoolypr
    Options
    It is a thing of beauty! 🤩. I’m dazzled. I looked up am recipe on the Akis Petrizikis site which was similar but without the yogurt? Any way, the result in photo was a thinner pie. Good pastrami isn’t always available here. Wonder how it would be with a thin sliced ham?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Looks like quite the treat, Dante! Was it as delicious as you hoped/expected?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm hoping (planning might be too strong of a word) to make a quick "stir fry" today with frozen Asian blend vegetables quickly pan fried with no sauce/oil (just a bit of water to stop the sticking) and topped with extra firm tofu fried with a little sesame oil/soy sauce and lots of garlic and onion and some ... :) ... sriracha. I have sweet Thai chili sauce that I might dress it with at the end and some green onions.
    Kind of a kitchen sink version of ??? Pad Thai??? I wish I had some peanuts. I might just pick them up for the fun of it. They'll add calories but I can be careful today to make them fit.

I might get brave enough to serve it on/with some of the shirataki noodles (spaghetti) I bought in the fall but just haven't had the wherewithall to try yet.

Wish me luck. I hope posting this here will ensure I actually cook it today :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    wishing you luck! I prefer the "thinner" versions of the noodles. So I find the spaghetti ones to be "too thick" as they maintain the "al-dente" aspect.

CCCGG makes a mean pastourmadopita Mr Dante! But I would definitely give your's a try. I don't know if it is garlic or which spice, possibly @Dante_80 knows, but pastourma has a different degree of staying power for me than pastrami...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I failed with this plan....maybe tomorrow? Where did you find thinner noodles, PAV?