Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

CCCGG makes a mean pastourmadopita Mr Dante! But I would definitely give your's a try. I don't know if it is garlic or which spice, possibly @Dante_80 knows, but pastourma has a different degree of staying power for me than pastrami...

It's Μοσχοσίταρο (Greek hay/grass), one of the main ingredients to cemen (together with cumin, paprika and garlic), used in the production of pastourma.

9TNiQuDl.jpg

The latin name is Trigonella foenum-graecum. The characteristic odor of pastourma comes from it.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,628 Member
    Options
    That i did not know! So fenugreek, garlic, cumin and paprika and I could theoretically make my own!?!?!? :smile:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,630 Member
    Options
    Wow - also called methi ! (pronounced a bit like "meaty" which I always find funny). I haven't eaten salami in a very long time but can almost imagine this.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Last night I ended up ordering in again due to a severe headache.

Tonight I am hoping to just roast some brussels sprouts and pan cook some seasoned chicken breasts. Maybe add some honey mustard to the chicken.

One thing I am excited but nervous about this week is I am trying Beyond Burgers for the first time. A friend of mine who is vegan suggested them as a good change from the real deal when I asked about veggie burgers. I got them on sale so if I don't like them it is not the end of the world.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Not being a vegetarian, I have tried a lot of plant based foods. I think the biggest disappointment is that calorie-wise they are about the same or more calories than the real thing. Taste is fairly good.
    But I kind of hoped veggie food would save some calories! 🤔
  • PAV8888
    Options
    And what @Yoolypr said was my own biggest complaint with both of the "big name" burgers (beyond and impossible) and even some lesser name alternatives. Calories were the same or more. Satiation the same or less.

Sure, I do value things other than Calories and Satiation. But I've pretty much made it my mission to be mercenary about the two of them.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm pretty regularly disappointed by the veggie alternative meats. Two I like: Those freakin' delicious Mediterranean Harrissa veggie sausages :) (which I've avoided now for ??? months?) and the regular Yves veggie dogs which are not exciting in anyway, but not offensive, and they do pack a lot of protein into a low calorie weiner - 45 calories / 10g protein each. They are not particularly cheap though :

And many of them now are being made with wheat protein - and I'm kinda trying to avoid wheat based products.

Trying very hard to shift to less processed protein sources: eggs / beans / legumes + yogurt and the milk in my tea a couple of times a day for protein and calcium.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I finally made my pad thai sort of thing - eating it now and it is soooo delicious! With those crazy shirataki noodles and I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this meal. Going to enter the recipe now to see how many calories I'm looking at, but I don't think it will be too bad :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Entered the pad thai as a recipe because I made enough for 3 dinners and I know I'll make it again. Came in at 390 calories per serving - which is pretty spectacular for how delicious it turned out - and filling. I messed up a bit when I topped it with 20 grams of chopped roasted peanuts. Way too much - added 120 unnecessary calories. Half as much would have been good. I'm all round tickled with this.

Okay, PAV....

Coarsley chopped 2 medium onions - sauteed them in 1 tablespoon of sesame oil.

While they were cooking - I cut 1 full package (340) of extra firm tofu into long thin pieces. Added them to the onions. Fried for a couple of minutes.

Added soy sauce (6 tbsps), rice vinegar (6tbsps), sriracha (6 tbsps), Memories of Thailand sweet chili sauce (2 tbsps) to the fry pan....stirred it up...let it cook for a few minutes.

Added 600g of frozen President's Choice frozen Thai blend Vegetables stirred everything together and let the veggies that - get hot

In the meantime I had a full package of Liviva Shiratake with oat fibre blend spaghetti noodles boiling in a pot of water. Once the vegetables were hot I scooped those shiratake noodles into the pan and folded everything together so it was all saucy and ... that was that. Absolutely amazing!
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Love the recipe. From Liviva I personally gravitated to the rice in preference to the spaghetti. I am thinking back and the "asian type flat/rice type noodles" were the house brand tofu/shirake "fettuccine" I found them to have a stronger odor than the Liviva. But they matched very nice with asian and seafood. The pad thai you made sounds awesome!

Surprisingly... I've been more of a sandwich sort of person today! :lol:

So after having merged all the insides of the veg sandwiches into half the bread while performing my little measuring and sampling festival, that left me with all the fresh err bread (which is like most the calories obviously!). So made a sandwich out of my previously frozen green and yellow beans and carrots! :wink: That's a DIFFERENT sort of veggie-ish sandwich!!! :lol:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    did you bring the sub home to disassemble and weigh? Or bring your scale there :)

I found boiling the noodles first eliminated that strange - almost fishy! - odour :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have a new obsession... Poke Bowls! Had one for lunch yesterday and again today.

Yesterday was brown rice, tuna, jalapeno, green onion, avocado, edamame, crispy onion, and some sort of soy sauce.

Today was vermicelli noodles, garden salad mix, tuna, shrimp, avocado, tamagoyaki, cucumber, crispy onion, pineapple, spicy mayo, and some sort of soy sauce.

I wouldn't get the spicy mayo again unless I do it on the side. Was a bit too much. But the pineapple was an amazing addition!

They are going to make me broke.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I've taken the scale to McDonald's and fish and chips and other places pre COVID.

But subway is literally like 800m from the house. So I don't tend to eat there anyway. Unless the girl is applying moral suasion and I'm hiding from her. But, yes, I brought back for disassembly
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm surprised (maybe not?) at how little cheese was in the sandwich!
  • Yoolypr
    edited February 2023
    Options
    It’s hard to tell sometimes how much is in a Subway sandwich. Depends on who did the slicing and dicing - and who put it together. I’ve used Subway as a default dinner/lunch for many years, in many different states, especially when I traveled for work. It was surprisingly different sizes depending on who was working. Sometimes differed a lot even between lunch and dinner.
    I guess that’s true of any fast food place or restaurant. I often question the restaurants that post calorie counts cause you never know. Especially post-pandemic with inexperienced staff.
    But at least you have a general idea......
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Good point, Yooly.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    Options
    My particular subway is... in the under-nourished state :) They've become much more "careful" post COVID. AND, I've noticed that it is almost impossible to get them to put "extra" of anything even when you ask. They nod and ignore and it's not just one person or one location, so it is probably part of their more recent training.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I think the Subway chain is undergoing some major financial restructuring. I have read that they will no longer do the “cafeteria” style building of their sandwiches. The sandwiches will be sold as advertised with some minor modifications allowed. So a veggie sandwich will be whatever is posted on their info and not what/how much of each individual ingredient.
  • lauriekallis
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Gee - what is the point of going for a sub sandwich if it isn't custom???? Though I can imagine everyone is still rocking after COVID

My younger son is/was/is :) a bit of a fanatic about food. Mr. Sub was one of the few places we could go out to eat. The owner of our local shop was unbelievably talented. He would make the sandwich exactly as my son requested. Which was pretty extreme. Each side of the open bun had to be topped in exactly the same manner with specific toppings and then he had to magically close the sandwich. Man deserved an award for sure. But he always did it and he always smiled when we walked in the door, often very late at night.
    I imagine Subway is going to lose a lot of their customers back to Mr. Sub if they go that route!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Mr. Sub never quite made it outside of Canada. I think there may be one in Houston? Although I hear Tim Hortons is arriving soon.
    Anyway- Subway has been losing money for a while. They are going to model after more successful places like Jimmie Johns. Yes, you get a sub sandwich but sadly less customization. Hope they up the quality of their ingredients too!
    When traveling or out of town I avoid most fast food places but will go to a Subway.