✅ Exercise
    ✅ Calories
    ✅ Tracked

3 Pass Days Used
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    March 19:

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes.

Did I do my Yoga/stretching today? Yes. 😊 🧘🏼‍♀️
    Pass Days Used: 4

Exercise today was 2.5 hours of giving massage. My deep back muscles are killing me today... from that bicycle ride a couple of days ago. Boy, talk about using muscles that I'm not used to using! Slept on a heating pad again last night - and probably tonight too.

What is a strategy you employ to keep you on track with your goals and healthy lifestyle even when life gets busy?

Awesome opener @ashleycarole86 Ashley!! I hope you're feeling better. :)

For food: I generally eat the same couple of things for breakfast, and a lot of the same 10 different veggies or so for lunch (or leftovers, which can be copies/pasted from the night before) - and the same with snacks - all of which can be copied easily to "today" in the food diary. So I usually only have to take extra time to log my dinner - whatever hubby might be making. Luckily for me, he does 90% of the cooking (since he's retired). He's very accepting of my eating gluten/grain free, and he does a good job of leaving certain ingredients off/out of whatever he's cooking (for my portion).

As far as exercise, I have to make an effort to get 'er done early in the day..... or often no, usually, it won't get done! If I wait until evening, I'm usually just too tired.

20 years ago I worked in a salon with a woman that had lost 100 lbs and kept it off for over 10 years. It made an impression on me that she had KEPT IT OFF, because at that point in my life, I didn't know anyone who had kept their weight off (including me!) I asked her how she kept it off, and she told me that she weighed herself every day and gave herself a 5lb leeway.... (to account for the ups and downs of an occasional "splurge" meal with family/friends, or hormones, water weight, her monthly, etc). But as soon as she started inching up on that 10lb mark - she would get right back at it again - the treadmill every day, watching her portions, CI/CO, until she got back down to her goal weight again. I've spent this winter successfully working this tactic....
  • strength3335
    strength3335 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When things get busy (they already have), I run to the local nature walk. No sunscreen needed as it’s covered with trees, and it’s fun to navigate the path while meeting friendly faces also enjoying it!

Made good choices today…put back the chocolate at the store…been adding more protein to my food intake…sticking to my low-fat homemade oatmeal cookies when I have a sweet tooth! Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, walking plus housework
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

• Jan1936
    Jan1936 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,068 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Great opener Ashley (and so glad you are feeling better). @ashleycarole86

What is a strategy you employ to keep you on track with your goals and healthy lifestyle even when life gets busy?
    I “pre-prep” a lot and try to always have good options on hand that, should I choose to use them, will keep me in a healthy eating zone.
    At almost all times, I have the following ready in the fridge: pre-boiled eggs, cut veggies that can be used for stir fries, washed and prepped lettuce, etc. In my freezer: homemade granola, breakfast protein cookies, banana bran muffins, other favourite less healthy sweet treats that are homemade and pre-measured and labelled for easy tracking, soups, stews, turkey chili, cooked pulled chicken, cooked ground chicken to use to make tacos, etc. It honestly doesn’t take me that long to do it all as I do it in bigger batches, and I use my instant pot a lot. When I am making soups, I make at least two at the same time and it saves time on chopping and dishes. I use my (new upright — game changer) freezer heavily to store everything in clearly labelled serving size (or meal size) containers. I make almost everything from scratch and everything is entered into MFP, so I can easily track, and there are no forgotten ingredients.

My pantry is well-stocked with cans of different beans and legumes and I use these in salads to boost my protein. I’ll open a can, rinse and drain, and store it in the fridge so it is already prepped to be used and there are fewer excuses. Tinned fish (salmon, tuna, etc) are kept in the fridge so they can become a delicious salad quickly (I hate warm tuna salad). I also rely heavily on frozen or canned (water packed) fruits. The fruit bowl is always packed with apples, oranges, and bananas.

I have to do my exercise early in the day or it just won’t get done. Something “more important” will always crop up to absorb any “free” time, and the busy factor is a significant issue. It has been harder this winter as I can’t just head to the pool or indoor track.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer @jamcnewman Thanks for the check-in. Still sick - ironic I'm asking for strategies when life gets busy when sickness has brought everything to a screeching halt here ;) However I know as soon as I'm better I'm going to be working double time to get things done.

Your suggestions are great. Some of the best ways to prep for tracking or eating that you ladies suggested are not things I do. I think there are definitely ways I could set my tracking up to be more efficient.

In terms of food prep, I too am in a household where most of the cooking is done for me. However, I know when I go hunting for snacks it's all about convenience, so I think some prep work in that area for myself could lead to some different choices.

Strategies for when I get busy:
    -Know what my non-negotiables are. No matter how busy, I always want to track all my food and engage with the MFP community. I believe these two items keep me firmly rooted in success, so I won't let them go no matter what.
    -Give myself slack. I can fixate on things not getting done when life is busy (laundry, cleaning, checking in with extended loved ones, etc.) but unfortunately these types of negative mindsets and worry only cause me to want food for comfort. The less I get in my own way mentally, the better.
    -Realize that doing anything is better than nothing. In my perfectionist tendencies I've avoided doing something if I can't do it perfectly or all the way. When life is busy, that could stop me from doing anything at all. So even if I'm feeling that way.. I just do the thing (pop down for a quick set of push-ups, a stretch break) It all adds up.
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Another day of rest.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes.

Pass days used- 3/3
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    ✅ Exercise - 1 hour of Jazzercise
    ✅ Calories -
    ✅ Tracking -

Closed all my Apple watch rings today
    2 Pass days used

Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)
    UAC: 1-2-3-4-P-6-7-8-9-P-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19

I really didn't realize how much my shingles shot on Wednesday took out of me until today. Even though I woke up later than normal, I had so much more energy all day. Could have been the extra sleep too.

I generally try to do a 16:8 intermittent fasting, which means that I don't eat breakfast and my first meal is usually around 12:30 or 1:00 pm. That helps immensely with the calories in side of the equation. I also try to get my workout in first thing in the morning so that I have the rest of the day to burn off the rest of my calories that I need to close my move ring on my Apple watch. If I can't get my workout in, then I figure out when I can get a long walk in to make up for it. Now to be fair, I'm rarely "busy" since I"m retired. I think in many ways that has helped me tremendously in my journey to a healthier lifestyle. I didn't have the will or energy to do a 1 hour workout and a 1 hour walk every day along with work, taking care of the family, etc.
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,794 Member
    Options
    yes for 3
    0/3 pass days used
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,068 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Saturday March 19
    ✅✅✅
    Feeling so much better tonight. Such a bad gastro situation yesterday and the first half of today.

Long walk with the pup in the brilliant sunshine this afternoon and the melting is truly underway now! Sounds of water running and all the neighborhood out either unclogging street drains or having toothpick races. Got on the Zoom with my sister-in-law and we had an impromptu dance party. So much fun and more activity/exercise minutes counted. 💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼

Tomorrow is Spring Equinox and I am meeting a friend in the morning to have our #WalkingTowardsSpring final walk together (we’ve each been walking alone and sharing photos and observations from our solo walks until now). We will then pause to watch the sunrise.

The end of this winter cannot come a moment too soon. 💛
  • loopydo2017
    loopydo2017 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Yes x3
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,955 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Date: 03/19/22

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes 👍🏻
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day 👍🏻
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?👍🏻

(Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)
    [UAC: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15 -16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31]

March goals
    1 Miracle Morning ~ S.A.V.E.R.S
    2 Wake up EARLY for meditation
    3 Yoga (4 times weekly)
    4. Minimum sweets (work them in my calorie goal)
    5. 30 day squat challenge
    https://youtu.be/g83v1m2P4_g[/spoile]
    6. No late night snacking
    7. Daily journal logging
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    3x Yes
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,000 Member
    Options
    UAC:
    🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
    🍀 P 🍀 P 🍀 🍀 🍀
    P -🍀 🍀 🍀 🍀 20-21
    22-23-24-25-26-27-28-
    29-30-31
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    Sat March 19
    Exercise: None! Too busy :smile:
    Tracking: Tracked ALMOST everything - some nibbles snuck in there I think.
    Calories: About right if estimates were correct and the nibbles weren't too bad (I KNOW that's not how to do it!)
    Lost 0.5 pounds.
    Today's another day of bad estimates as we have my daughter's 10th birthday party and there will definitely be a cupcake of who knows how many calories.
    Monday I am going to begin to take this very seriously again...

How I fit things in when things are busy - Yesterday I did a bit of an audit of my morning and evening routines. I did figure out that I really can't fit everything in every day, but I do have time to do MommaStrong in the morning ~5 days a week and stretching in the evening ~4 days a week. I also have time to do a long check in here ~4 days a week - not every day. So some days you'll see me just pop in from my phone with a quick 3yeses or pass. I've resisted doing that out of an all-or-nothing mentality. I really like to fully engage here because I find it so beneficial. All of those habits I find beneficial - as well sitting with a warm washcloth over my eyes, which is what I am alternating with stretching. I just looked at the time and figured out I can't do everything daily and that is just going to have to be OK for now.

I also try to go for a daily walk and that is during work time. Sometimes I need to walk for work, so that's easy. But my work time, I draw up my calendar the week before. First I put in all the things that are already on my calendar - meetings and phone calls and trainings and often taking care of kids- often that's more than half the calendar already. Then I put in the work things I need to do every day (ex. 1 hour of emails) and time for lunch and snack and a walk. I usually walk right after lunch or right before or after snack. After that I block off time for actual work and decide what I will do. These days I have a somewhat flexible schedule so I work in the evening 2 nights a week to make time for the walks and often childcare during the workday. That has worked pretty well to get in a daily walk during the week.

Lately I have been making more of an effort to do a similar time blocking for the weekends. We always had done it for the kids, but I am trying to figure out what I can do too. But sometimes there just really isn't time for my stuff - like yesterday.

I do admit I envy those of you who are retired. I have a lot more time than I used to now that my kids are 10 and 6 and they go to school (unlike during the pandemic). But, not as much time as I would like to have. Oh well, do what I can now and when I have more time do more.
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Yes x3
  • DebyS137
    DebyS137 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Options
    ~🍀~ 3 / 19 /2022~~ Waving Hi ~~ 🙋🏼 ~~ BLESSings Everyone ~💖~

Exercise for at least 20 minutes .................................... ✅ ... 210+ min.
    Stay within my calorie budget for the day ...................... ✅ ... I am
    Keep track of everything I ate and drank ....................... ✅ .... I did

STEPS......... 24,280 +.......... 180 = walking ......... 30 cleaning

Documenting My CONSISTANCY = For personal ACCOUNTABILITY & Celebration
    (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-

💖 Wishing EVERYONE all the BEST & Much Success In March 🏆 We Got This 🏆
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    3/19
    Pass day
    Exersised no
    Caleries?-no I had 2 events today,that even tho I was within the Caleries, it pretty much was a lot of funk food day.
    Logged yes
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Happy birthday to your 10 year old @Caroline_slowandsteady ... hope the day is great!!