What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Amazon and Audible had a Tolkien sale so I picked up a couple. The Hobbit has a new audio recording and the ebook is in the Kindle Unlimited plan (75th anniversary edition, with extra audio and pictures). The ebook is fantastic, with sections read by the master fantasy author JRR Tolkien himself. The entire chapter where Bilbo finds the ring and has a riddle contest with Golum was read by Tolkien. The new audiobook from Audible synced up nicely with the Kindle Unlimited checkout on my Fire tablet too, for immersion reading. Ninety minutes to go, the Battle of the Five Armies is all I have left. It has been a while since I reread this classic.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    virruth wrote: »
    I just finished The Replacement Wife. Before a great WWII novel The Nightingale

The Nightingale has been on Mount TBR for so long, I don't know why I haven't read it yet. I own it, I'll have to move it up in the stack I guess.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,334 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    virruth wrote: »
    I just finished The Replacement Wife. Before a great WWII novel The Nightingale

I just got a copy of The Nightingale - glad to hear you liked it. Looking forward to starting it.
    @Catfish_Fan - Love the Mount TBR - I'm going to have to start charging mine rent - its about to take over an entire room.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I have a library room! It has 7 full bookshelves in it (after culling books I have already read and don't plan to read again, about 8 bankers boxes full now). I also have about 1,000 books on my kindle, I don't know how many unread?

I'm reading Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #3) by Leigh Bardugo.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Currently reading The Falls - Joyce Carol Oates

My TBR pile grew by 2 yesterday. I treated myself to a couple of 75% off books. 🤦‍♀️
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Started Parable of the Sower on y'all's recommendation.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    FitMary202 wrote: »

I'm reading the sequel, Parable of the Talents (Earthseed, #2) by Octavia E. Butler. So far I like it.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    FitMary202 wrote: »

I'm reading the sequel, Parable of the Talents (Earthseed, #2) by Octavia E. Butler. So far I like it.

I'd never heard of Octavia Butler or the books so this is really exciting for me!
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I also started Fortunata and Jacinta by Benito Perez Galdos. It's long so I'll be here for a while...
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. It won the Goodreads award for best Sci-Fi in 2021 so I expect greatness.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,145 Member
    Options
    Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. It won the Goodreads award for best Sci-Fi in 2021 so I expect greatness.

I was completely blown away by this one. I've read all three of Weir's books so far, and his first/third are so completely stellar (pun intended) that I pledge to buy whatever he puts out in the future, sight unseen, I've become that huge a fan.

Currently working on GoT Book 4, with 5 waiting in the wings. At some 1200 pages per, it's taking longer to get through than normal books, lol.
  • TriciaBeingAccountable
    Options
    I'm currently reading Black and Blue: Inside the Divide Between Police and Black America.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Still reading Parable of the Sower, but it's taking much longer than I expected (?) so I'm swapping in The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas just for a chance of pace.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,145 Member
    Options
    Game of Thrones Book 5

Unlike some members who prefer to leap from one series to another to keep variety in their reading, I prefer to stick with a single series for as long as possible. Especially one which includes about a billion names, trying to remember who is related to whom or said/did what...
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I read The Last Juror by John Grisham and it was a solid book, 4 stars. Now I am reading Lake Silence (The Others book 6, and The World of the Others book 1, as it starts a new chapter) by Anne Bishop. This one is fantasy, Grisham was well, Grisham, legal thriller.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Midnight Line (Jack Reacher, #22)
    by Lee Child

the last one narrated by Dick Hill, then the narrator for the audio switches to Scott Brick (who is not bad either, but different).
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1)
    by Paolo Bacigalupi
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Finally finished Parable of the Sower. It took sooo long to get going, though picked up once they got on the road. And Kindle immediately offered the sequel for free (?) so I started that and like it better already.
    And I finished The Hate U Give so I'm looking for something new.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Finished The Falls - started off well enough - but I wasn't crazy about the second half of the book.

Now reading The Death Factory - Greg Ilse - a novella while I decide what I want to dive into next.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Drowned Cities (Ship Breaker, #2)
    by Paolo Bacigalupi

Same world (fantasy/scifi) as Ship Breaker, but different story and characters.