WaistAways Team Chat - MAY 2022

Replies

• Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Pw 178.4
    Cw 178.4

Im good with that, i was terrible last week, but I was able to get it together enough to not gain, so I am happy...

Chat more tomorrow
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 9,901 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    CW: 185

So yeah. I went to Seattle, had a ton of fun, and on my second to last day I broke a rib and my dad called me from the hospital. A bad infection complicated by his MS shut down his kidneys and nearly killed him. He spent a week there and is now at home on a cocktail of drugs and IVs. He's improving slowly.

Needless to say, I haven't been doing well. I just wanted to give up.

But well. I'm lousy at giving up. I always think I will, and then I get bored and start trying again.

So here's me. Giving up on giving up. Again.

You are the best. You know exactly what to give up on. I hope your rib and your dad are doing better :heart:
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 968 Member
    Hello! I'm Kristi in Washington state USA. I'm 39, married and we have 3 kids age 12, 11 and 7. I work 4 days a week as an occupational therapist at a special education preschool. I have been really struggling with my weight lately. My husband had a lot of work stress from September to March and it took a lot out of the whole family. I regained a lot of weight in the process and struggled to get it back under control. I recently started working with a health coach. I am learning a lot and making a lot of changes.
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 538 Member
    Hi!
    I'm Evelyn and I live in Vermont, USA. My sister is Liselyn (@jugar) and I learn a lot from her frequent shares, fabulous recipes, and fitness suggestions. I live with my spouse (of 5 years); 3 cats; and youngest daughter (36-yrs-old) lives here, too. She's been part of the household for 2 years now and may be about ready to fledge (again) sometime this summer. We'll see!
    Meanwhile, I'm getting back to part time work at an outpatient PT clinic nearby which includes an indoor therapeutic pool (94-degrees F "skin temp").
    I'll be paid to remain fairly active and look forward to helping re-open the community program, for which I'll be an Aqua-instructor for the older people in our area.
    I'm ready to be more active and intend for May to be my transitional month to get in much better shape, too. My hope is that the extra weigh loss and toning will help get any residual post-surgical medications out of my system so I feel more energized. I'll keep you posted!
    My supper choices were questionable tonight but I didn't get a huge dessert, which was so tempting when we first sat in the open outside seating. True, I had freshly made pulled-pork with black-bean salsa and chips with cheese and hot peppers but didn't have much sour cream or cheese. For dessert, we waited until we got back to our little soft-serve place in town and had a small soft-serve. My understanding is that soft serve is made from milk, not cream. I'll have to ask just to make sure.
    So, tomorrow will be my first day at work and I intend to walk to and from (1-mile each way) and to have salad with tuna for lunch.
    Off we go!
    Have a great first week of May, team! Here's to warmer weather and calmer days all around.

• jugar
    May is certainly off to quite the start - I got out in my veggie garden today and planted one whole bed! Lettuces, spinach, arugula, and kale - things that can take the cold, which will certainly be around off and on for a bit longer. It was a gorgeous day, though, and the soil in that part of the garden was in beautiful shape.

I always love reading the re-introductions at the beginning of the month. I had a good smile reading yours @conleywoods . At your age, my first child turned 1 year old, and there you are with 3 and the youngest is 7! I started really, really late... I never thought I would have children, did not really want to, but I'm glad it finally happened. My second is adopted, and they are both pretty wonderful at 25 and 29 - just about to be 30 this month! It makes me feel a lot younger than I am :wink:

We have to get the weigh-ins rolling for this week. There are few still due for today:
    @deniners2
    @BlissfulK
    @kathrynartis2271

and here is the heads up notice for Monday:
    @DD265
    @MoonlitMuse
    @SatanLuciferJones - last chance! you have missed a couple of weeks and risk being dropped :grimace:
    @sophsjw - welcome aboard! we have not heard from you yet, and hope to do so soon!

Thanks!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,249 Member
    Had a great weekend family wise. Party, friends, family. Too many mini-cupcakes 🧁 🧁🧁🧁. Had my son here visiting. Went to the shore (beach). Flew a kite. Took Juliet to an arcade. Great fun. Food still not so great. I’ll get there, but this weekend was not it.

Kristi @conleywoods Congratulations on your very successful week!! You rocked that leaderboard!!! So happy that this new plan is working for you.

@ells_bellz and @terytha hugs to you both going through difficult times. I hope every day is a little better for you both.

Tomorrow I will log all my food and measure my water.

@ashleycarole86 I would like to be on the step team. My daily goal is 8,000 steps.

I’m also going to look at some of your diaries for meal ideas.
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 968 Member
    @jugar That is pretty funny to think you had a 1 year old at my age! I am very glad that diaper days are far behind me. My husband and I had planned to be done having kids by 30 but the youngest was a surprise so I was 32 when he arrived. I know a lot of women have babies later. They take a lot of energy and we are glad we started shortly after getting married, especially since they out number us!

Today I slept in late. I must have been more tired than I thought. It took me awhile to get my meal plan figured out for the day. I bought the wrong ground turkey so my numbers wouldn't work out right. Took awhile to adjust but I got it figured out. Macro eating definitely takes planning. Today I relaxed and cleaned up after the party. I put my binder together for my wellness course and it took longer than I thought. My youngest has had a cold and has gotten worse and now have a fever. I will be home with him tomorrow so he can go to the doctor. Worried he might have an ear infection 😕

• ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,089 Member
    @YinxFed Great to have you back! I have your target down for 7K.
  • jugar
    @EvMakesChanges happy first day at the new job to you! I hope it goes well.

@Gidgitgoescrazy it is so good to have your plan-ahead vibe back here! I am seriously inspired. I have a kinda sorta mental plan these days, but I am not sticking with it very well, so here goes:

Exercise as inspired by Vikki
    Monday - 10-15 minutes each strength (KB plus bodyweight) and Pilates, 45 minutes exercise bike
    Tuesday - 30 minutes Pilates, 45 bike
    Wednesday - 15-20 minutes strength, 10 Pilates, 45 bike
    Thursday - 30 minutes Pilates, 45 bike
    Friday - 15-20 minutes strength (KB plus bodyweight), 10 Pilates or stretching
    Saturday - stretch hike bike whatever happens
  • jugar
    @ashleycarole86
    Last week -

Sunday - 13,314
    Monday - 8780 + 45 bike
    Tuesday - 7580 + 30 Pilates, 30 bike
    Wednesday - 10,182 + 15 Pilates, 45 bike
    Thursday - 12,114 + 45 bike
    Friday - 17,742
    Saturday - 12,924

big zero on strength and not much Pilates - feeling mushy!
  • MoonlitMuse
    MoonlitMuse Posts: 88 Member
    Happy Monday Everyone!

PW: 141.4
    CW: 142.2

I decided to bite the bullet and join the newest Rez Meltdown that focuses on muscle gains. I got to use their fancy BIA scale and it says I should 'lose 14.1 lbs of fat and gain .7 lbs of muscle'. It was more than a little depressing (showing me at >30% BF) but it's definitely an incentive to stop slacking. This contest will go on until the beginning of July so we'll see what I can change. Since it's focused on building muscle, I'm going to not cringe too much when I see the scale going up. Will that mess things up for us as a team? On top of the meltdown, the Glacier Half marathon is coming up next month so I have to get cracking on my training for that and Garmin has a ton of badges to be earned for the month of May.

@Kali225 I've seen a lot of patients dealing with BED since the pandemic began. It's so easy to develop from a habit of boredom eating that spirals into something more, but I think working with your habit tracker will be great for you! If you like app style ones, check out Daylio and it's food counterpart (whose name I can't recall at the moment)

@deniners2 Congrats on your 10k! I'm able to do them on the treadmill without too much issue but yesterday the weather was finally tolerable enough to get outside and I only managed 5.15mi before my hips were like 'nope'. Outside is a whole different animal! That's so awesome that you rocked it without a break!

@conleywoods Ooh, a wellness course? Maybe I missed an earlier post about it. What's it through/on? Are you teaching or a participant? And yeah, macro eating definitely takes some planning. I like to pre-plan on MFP to see if/where adjustments need to be made and then keep things easy with meal repeats for the week.

@Gidgitgoescrazy I love your workout plan! I swear having a set game plan for the week is the only thing that really keeps me on track.
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Hi Team WaistAways. I'm Courtney, 42 years old from Val-des-Monts Quebec where I live with my husband, our two cats, and on alternating weekends my teen-aged step-daughter. I work a desk job but am physically active playing hockey and doing home renovations and lots of landscaping around our home. Injuries have slowed me down recently but I'm hoping this month I will be able to get back at it more consistently.
    I was an active kid but slowed down my physical activity once I got to university but didn't taper off my eating to match. I've been yo-yo dieting ever since. I joined MFP and this team in August 2020 and was able to lose 50lbs over 10 months. I've plateaued for the last year, half on purpose and half because I couldn't seem to find the discipline to push myself to make that last effort to reach my ultimate goal of another 15lbs down.
    My goals for this month are to do better with logging and portion control and to step up my intentional exercise. I hope to enter a new 'decade' soon and work my way down to my ultimate goal.
  • jugar
    I decided to bite the bullet and join the newest Rez Meltdown that focuses on muscle gains. I got to use their fancy BIA scale and it says I should 'lose 14.1 lbs of fat and gain .7 lbs of muscle'. It was more than a little depressing (showing me at >30% BF) but it's definitely an incentive to stop slacking. This contest will go on until the beginning of July so we'll see what I can change. Since it's focused on building muscle, I'm going to not cringe too much when I see the scale going up. Will that mess things up for us as a team? On top of the meltdown, the Glacier Half marathon is coming up next month so I have to get cracking on my training for that and Garmin has a ton of badges to be earned for the month of May.

Will that mess things up as a team? Absolutely not! Building muscle, losing inches, and getting in better shape sometimes means putting on some weight as you change your body composition. It looks, though, like you might still lose more than you gain if you are aiming to take down 14.1 lbs of fat and put on 0.7 of muscle - keep an eye on the food intake to make that change happen. The gym might be about building some muscle, but the plate should still have you losing slowly anyhow. Running is also really, really good at moving out the fat, so hopefully you won't need to worry!
This discussion has been closed.