June 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,058 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @martaindale I see you're a paid subscriber on Strava. You may know this, and already be using this, but one feature you get with that is the ability to see running heat maps when you create a route. I use this feature quite a bit when looking for running routes in new places, thinking that if a route gets heavy use, there must be a reason. It's also a great way to find trail routes. The only caveat is that races can throw off the heat map by showing heavy use on roads that might only be suitable for running during a race when traffic is blocked off. When looking for new routes you might consider taking a look at that feature if you're not already.

Yes, I use the heat maps quite a bit. It’s the main reason I pay for the subscription. That’s how I found the nature preserve trail! In more densely populated areas I love that it labels common start points and bathrooms too. It takes a lot of guess work out of running in a place I am unfamiliar with. At the hill country house, the heat maps are mostly my 1 running neighbor! And now me. At least in this part of the neighborhood. There are a couple of bikers and runners on the other side of the neighborhood.

Glad your fall wasn’t serious. That trail is so gorgeous!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Mari33a wrote: »
    @shanaber - Here's some photos of Dakota. He's great company and I swear sometimes I half expect to speak
    1z6d2cdc0ty2.png
    83ft7ax1sjeo.png
    cb1qhqbckv7v.png
    ohqjygeb4i58.png
    He is gorgeous @Mari33a!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,789 Member
    Options
    that last photo is hilarious!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    that last photo is hilarious!
    Yea. He wasn’t very impressed with me at the time😅
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 and @shanaber, yes it was definitely @AlphaHowls-inspired crazy laps!

Yesterday morning was speed work. 5 min Z1, 5 min Z2, 6x 1 min Z5 and 2 min z1, 5 min Z1 for a total of 2.04 miles. It was nice and cool, but my neighbor’s little dog, who was taken out to potty, decided to start running after me. I had to stop during one of my Z5 intervals so that the lady could catch up and grab him.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    Congrats @Scott6255 and @SummerSkier on your 5 years on MFP! Awesome. @SummerSkier I love that you started your journey when you realized you could either be a whale or a gazelle and that gazelle won! No wonder you are so speedy. :wink:

@SummerSkier Great job on getting out there and running when you weren't feeling it. You'll figure it out and get back to your speedy self soon.

Nice running @martaindale . Glad you are finding routes you want to run. I'm with you on the even tenths.

@7lenny7 Glad the shoes worked out for you. Those pictures of the park you ran in are really beautiful. I would run there again too, if I were you. How do you call in the birds? Glad your fall wasn't serious.

@Mari33a Dakota is adorable.

@shanaber I hope your PM works better for you today. I also hope you find some nice trails to run on your road trip. Sounds like fun and I'm sure Hobbes will enjoy new sights and smells.

@marisap2010 We had the same workout yesterday! I just haven't posted my runs yet. My internet was acting up last night, so I gave up even trying.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    @Mari33a Dakota looks like he has a lot of personality. So distinguished. And, yes, he looks like he has a lot to say.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,789 Member
    Options
    @martaindale I run with pepper spray also and sometimes a small stun if I am wearing a jacket with pockets (size of a large lipstick). I haven't had any issues in a while but mostly it is folks who let their dogs out on their front lawn quickly and I happen to be running by. Loose packs are typically worse than the owner walking off leash. Mostly if I stop, turn and confront when strays are at a distance they will turn away. Haven't had one get close enough with aggressive intent to spray yet. But I totally agree with you that owners can be blind. I like dogs but I don't like strange ones climbing on me. Annoys me to no end when they ARE leashed and yet the owner still let's them climb on you - and then apologizes? seriously.

oops - rant over. Snuck in another 5 after a HUGE unpredicted storm rolled thru Austin this morning and dropped over an inch of rain. WOW. That was actually quite nice. 23.21 miles to date out of 100 goal. Even went out for a long walk after because the air felt so clean and cool and the sun hadn't come out to steam things up.

1 Jun - 7
    2 Jun - 6
    3 Jun - 5
    4 Jun - 5
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @martaindale Glad you had a good run and got to see a tiny fawn. They are so cute. Even if they know that Emma isn't going to bite, they need to follow the rules and respect those who don't want a dog rushing up to them. Very rude for them to not follow your request to hold her until you got by. Not that you were afraid, but dogs can sense fear and usually react to that with aggression - even if they normally aren't. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

Nice run @SummerSkier . Glad you had nice weather for it.

@katharmonic Sounds like you had a very nice week's vacation! Glad you had great weather for your run today. Sorry about the racoon. I would have wanted to help it out too.

Haha I hear you @RunsOnEspresso . I meant to get out early and it was nearly 10 today before I headed out the door. Fortunately, it wasn't horribly hot here.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    I can't stand people who aren't in control of their dogs. I also hate people who will walk up or allow their children to walk up and pet my dogs without asking me. My dogs are generally good-natured, but they are both old and sometimes don't want to be bothered. I've had to ask people to stop a few times, especially with smaller kids, because I don't know if they will be rough and scare my dogs.
    @marisap2010 - We have some kids in the neighborhood who think it is ok to run screaming at us waving their arms over their head or ride their tricycles/bicycles directly at us and then are surprised when Hobbes barks at them. Typically the parents are out with them and do/say nothing. I hope the kids are never bitten but that is exactly how dog bites happen. You don't allow your kids to run up to any dog let alone an unknown dog.

I hope the GU flavors are good. I'm not much of a fan of GUs of any kind because they are just so sticky and sweet...

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Glad you had a better run. Hope the shoes work out for you. I can't do lower drop shoes. I tried once and it really hurt my legs to run in them, which is weird since I wear flat shoes at work and go barefoot in the house.

@marisap2010 That is probably the last time we'll have the same workout since I'm doing the 10K plan and you the marathon one. Definitely no 8 miles scheduled anytime soon. I have moved my plan by a day so that Sunday's are my rest days, not Monday. So yesterday was my "long run" of the week. LOL You are doing great! I need to get some strength training in.......as I have said many, many times before. Guess it isn't really a priority for me.