June 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,965 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's a lot of rain @ContraryMaryMary ! I'm glad you were able to get out for a nice, long run and then plant trees. Sounds like a wonderful day. My biggest issue with MFP lately is that I will have a post written and then it will all of a sudden go to the sign-in page and I lose it. I don't know if part of that is my internet issues or not, but it is frustrating. Obviously, I don't need to sign in. I was already on the site.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,061 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Totally get the feeling of it not feeling like a vacation when staying with family. The B&B sounds lovely!

@scott6255 Way to go! A HM in the heat of the summer is hard work!

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I'm the odd ball that doesn't like the Cascadias. I want to so bad. I once even wore brand new shoes for a 30k race over my cascadias 😆

Lol, yeah, one of my worries is not having tried them. Maybe I'll see some in the uk in a shop to try on. When I went to have my gait analysis for shoes the first pair he handed me were Glycerins. Too expensive, but the memory of that spongy feel has stuck!
    Having said that, the trail shoes I use now (after disastrously thinking I'd be ok in cheap Decathlon ones) are Hoka Speedgoats and anything else is bound to feel thin-soled...
    Still dark here, having breakfast and then I'm off for some mohntain therapy 😁

In the interest of full disclosure... I like the cheap Decathlon trail shoes as well. I have the men's version because they were on sale.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    June Goal: 100 Miles

6/1: 5.51 miles
    6/2: 5.04 miles
    6/5: 7.10 miles
    6/7: 5.51 miles
    6/8: 6.01 miles
    6/8: 6.32 miles
    6/11: 10.02 miles

45.51/100 miles completed for June

I had a good run today. I managed to get up early and get out the door at 6:40. I suppose I "beat the heat" as much as possible. It was 82°F feels like 83° F when I started and 88°F feels like 91°F at the end. But that was the coolest part of the day. And since I got out before the sun was fully up there was plenty of shade. The last two miles were pretty tough, but the first 8 weren't bad so all inalla nice 10 miles. I just took plenty of water breaks in the shade. I saw a jackrabbit in the cemetery. And a really pretty century plant. Then I stopped by to see Lilly (Sunny) the donkey and took her some carrots. I just took it slow and tried to stay in the shade as much as possible . I stopped several times and took some pictures too. My average pace was 11:44 and my run time was 1:57:28, but I was out for 2:16:40.

It looks like there is no relief from the heat for a while.

OMG @eleanorhawkins I am glad you are ok!
    p0w7y90bc60a.jpg

i90t2t9y7fze.jpg

ei0m95m833n6.jpg

eap8f8393qua.jpg

rj3ovv12hml9.jpg

f6urbpn5jcwt.jpg

exercise.png

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins ouch! An important lesson to learn is "don't try to make up shortcuts in the mountains". I'm glad you're (mostly?) OK.
    Hopefully you've just got scratches, but pay attention over the next few days and make sure nothing is hurting and affecting your gait. If you keep running on that, it could lead to additional injury. Otherwise, keep on running 😃
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    OMG @7lenny7. I hit my hand really hard with a hammer yesterday while bashing in a stake for a tree, it was so painful I assumed I’d broken a bone but no, I’m fine. I’d hate to think how much more painful your injury was. Heal quickly!

And @eleanorhawkins, super scary. I’m glad you’re mostly ok. Lesson learnt?
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    Oh no @7lenny7! I smashed my finger with a cast iron skillet once and it was extremely painful. I can only imagine this was way worse. Hope it heals soon.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    Congratulations on your Spartans @katharmonic!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 ARGH! Gentle hugs, hope they can fix it as quickly and satisfactorily as possible.

Thanks @kgirlhart @polskagirl01 @ContraryMaryMary @katharmonic as far as I can tell I'm fine apart from the superficial cuts and bruises. My left leg did start making a funny clicking sound on the way up the last hill, but was fine on the way down so I put it down to normal reaction to the distance and elevation. Muscles are slightly sore today so hill repeats are off, will go for a recovery plod and see what happens. Funniest thing was at around 8.30 am a guy passed me on a bike and he yelled "you're brave to be out here on your own!" All I could do was laugh.

@katharmonic well done, Spartan! Those races really impress me 🙂
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins YIKES! Amazing that you got in a long run after that! You're a beast! Hope your injuries aren't too bad.

@7lenny7 OUCH! Dang that sounds soooo painful 😖 I hope it heals well and you have full function.

@katharmonic way to go finishing TWO Spartan races 2 days in a row. Those sound really really tough. But nice that you had a comfy place to relax afterwards.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Hi again all. Reporting back, I went for a (very) slow shake-out run and there seems to be no permanent damage done to anything. Legs were sore and stiff but no worse than after any other 22km run with loads of elevation. I even went up a little hill to see if the clicking was still there but nope, all gone.

Also, I just want to clear something up before anyone goes calling my husband and telling him to lock me up (LOL).
    My experience on Saturday was entirely my fault, and I was never in any real danger that I didn't put myself in by being a little bit dumb and overeager. I was never more than 1 mile from the road, in fact, the place I started the nasty part I've dubbed the 'hike and slide fail' was right behind a military barracks. I was carrying a whistle, I could have just sat down on a rock above the road and blown the *kitten* out of that thing until someone heard me. Or called for help, my phone had a signal there.
    However, I had been planning the adventure for days and was so eager to get up there and enjoy it that I didn't do that, but chose to push on and find a way to get down.
    So yes, lessons were there. Have I learned them? I hope so. However, in the same situation, I can't say I wouldn't do the same again rather than miss the run I was looking forward to. But next time, I'll turn around when I think I've lost the path or stick to the road in the first place.
    Once I picked myself up off the floor, I did think about walking back to the car and going home. But I walked for a while and decided there was no serious harm done.
    I did, however, discover a flaw in all my emergency gear. I was carrying an emergency blanket (crazy in this heat but hey I have it, it fits in my pack and you never know, right?), the aforementioned whistle and phone, bandaids, a tiny tube of wound glue, alcohol swabs, tissues, vaseline, a bandage and a buff. But of course, because my water was in the bladder in my vest rather than a bottle, I couldn't actually get any of it out to wash my scratches and grazes off. I just realised this morning that I could have taken the whole bladder out and opened it to get to the water. D'oh!